Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advertising - Would It Annoy You Too Much?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Actually, That's the only one that's annoyed me so far.

It makes me want to lean my head to the left all the time. huh.gif
Mata
QUOTE (oscarhilton @ May 21 2005, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 21 2005, 07:17 AM)
Okay, there's now a banner down the side. Honestly, that is the most annoying thing ever.

i agree.... it squeezes the whole thing down and you barely see the banner anyway

My hope was that you would barely see the banner! I didn't want it to intrude too much.

I really am sorry to do it, but I badly need the revenue at the moment. There's a thread about this in Daily Life.

I'm hoping that everyone will get used to it quite quickly. The forums are still wider than the content on many other sites, compare it to the New York Times site for example:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/movies/16star.html

Or the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4568515.stm

As I said in the other thread, if anyone can work out how to wrap the first couple of posts around the banner then that would be ideal, but I don't know how to do this.

The width of the banner is a close equivalent to the avatar/personal info on the other side of the screen, so this has actually centralised the text more than it was before.

I realise it's a shock at first, but I do think that it will become easy to ignore very quickly.
I_am_the_best
I'm still one of the lucky (or unlucky) people who can't see the banners. It's a bit odd having everything slightly left though. I want to fill the gap!
Sir Psycho Sexy
It's not the actual banner that's annoying me, it's the lack of content above and below it, just makes the whole page look lop-sided

edit: and it makes the navigation thing at the top telling you which forum you're in central...it never used to be central...
Mata
Yeah, I've no idea why it has centred the top navigation. All I've done is introduced a new table with two columns: one contains the board, the other has the banner in it.
mooooooooooopo
Just a thought, but can you not set the width attribute of the new table to 110% (or similar - if only HTML let you put maths into your positioning) so the new banner scrolls neatly off the edge of the screen? wink.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (moop @ May 22 2005, 08:59 AM)
Just a thought, but can you not set the width attribute of the new table to 110% (or similar - if only HTML let you put maths into your positioning) so the new banner scrolls neatly off the edge of the screen? wink.gif

Oooh, sneaky.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Mata @ May 22 2005, 02:09 AM)
Yeah, I've no idea why it has centred the top navigation.

I think you just need to add an alignment variable to the <div> tag for that top navigation. I don't know much about the <div> tag, as I always shyed away from it when I was doing HTML, but I'm sure you could just turn

this
<div id="navstrip">

into something like this
<div id="navstrip" align"=left">

Or, being a <div> tag, cannot you position it exactly through pixel values?

Either that, or set the alignment in the CSS?
voices_in_my_head
I don't know if it's just me or not, but now all I'm getting is the Annoying flashing ads.
oscarhilton
i kinda like the new blue thing it makes it look better
Moosh
I can see these ads, but still not the banners at the top sad.gif Ah well
Mata
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ May 23 2005, 03:31 PM)
I don't know if it's just me or not, but now all I'm getting is the Annoying flashing ads.

Can you give me the URL of the ad please? Right-click it and check the properites. If you get the macromedia menu when you right-click then just tell me who it's for.

There's 'annoying flashing' and 'normal flashing'. Most ads will change their image quite frequently, usually every one or two seconds, but if they are the annoying kind with near-strobe speeds and such-like then I can complain about them and get them removed.
voices_in_my_head
http://yoursmartrewards.com/rd_p?p=99872&c...ipod_emc_d20&a=

That's the one that is bothering me.

Maybe it's just me, though.
Mata
Sorry, that's just the link where it's going to. Could anyone give me a link to the banner please? If it is over the line in terms of annoying-ness I would like to stop it as soon as possible.
Aislinn Faye
So...if I click on the Verizon ad to go and pay my bill....does that help you at all? Because if so, every month I'll click on your ad. If not, I'll still do it, because.. usually my computer screen is on Matazone.
Mata
For the banners I don't get any money for the clicks or what you do on their sites BUT if I don't get the clicks then the advertisers won't want to be on my site. So click occasionally on one or both the banners to make the place look good smile.gif

The Amazon search boxes at the bottom of the page are different: I only get money from them if people buy something after searching with them (not necessarily the thing they searched for, just in that 'session').
mooooooooooopo
Just thought I'd let you know, the William Hill adverts on the site are possibly the most obnoxious thing ever.

Not only do they seem to take 5 minutes to load (before any of the rest of the page too), but they appear to stream stuff from their server which lags me further and their scrolling slows my computer down just about enough to make the forum mostly unusable.

sad.gif
Moosh
I don't find the William Hill ones particularly annoying, but a lot of the ones I get are timing out and not loading at all, so I click on the ones I get but that's not a lot.
markslut
Sky ads are annoying, they eat CPU power
Mata
The Sky ads are Flash-based, so will generally only perform as well as your machine handles Flash.

I've also had timeouts or long loading times on some of the banners, although I couldn't tell you why that is.

I haven't really noticed any problems with the William Hill adverts, and it's strange that you say they stall the loading of the pages: usually the banners are the last thing to load on a page for me.

Putting things in perspective, the option really comes down to this: we have these banners or we have things like Crazy Frog, or other adverts that make noises at you without warning. I do need the small amount of revenue that they generate, and given the rather evil alternative banners that could be on here I think that they are defintely the less annoying.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 19 2006, 04:47 PM)
The Sky ads are Flash-based, so will generally only perform as well as your machine handles Flash.

The Sky ads and the William Hill ads slow my computer to a crawl. I'm forced to blame complete and utter incompetance on the part of whatever morons they get to design their ads. *head explodes* It's just some scrolling or for the Sky ones just cutting back and forth between a few scenes.

Most of them could be done as animated gifs too, generated by PHP + GD for the ones with regularly updating information.

On the other hand I can have 5 pages or so of this site open, containing larger flash 'animations' with complex stuff like physics sims going on and not feel the slightest performance hit.

(I'm not whinging at you, Mata, I just can't believe how slow the ads are!)

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 1 2005, 07:08 PM)
Please implement Google ads on the forums biggrin.gif Considering some of the stuff we talk about, that would be hilarious.

What happened to Commie's suggestion of google ads? I completely agree, it'd be hilarious. >_<
Mata
I think that the Sky ads are running some actionscript stuff. I've never noticed any slowdown with them myself, but it's interesting to hear that it's causing you problems.

It's funny you should bring up the AdSense idea again because I had been considering that myself over the last couple of days. I've put in an application for the ads and you'll see 'em probably around mid-week. It should be quite interesting to see what turns up on there!
Moosh
Not really a problem but I thought I'd mention it, if I click on the banners for Ancestry.co.uk, it doesn't take me to their site, it just takes me to the url of the banner. This doesn't seem to happen with any of the others.
Mata
Well, that's their loss.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.