Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Culture Shock
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
zivane
What is up with chocolate digestive biscuits and things of that nature? I mean... I honestly don't get it. Do they serve any purpose? Is it like someone who has to eat prunes? Why must they be "digestives"? What's so special here that I'm not understanding? And, who eats them? And why?
saucy_tara
I've never been sure as to why they are called "Digestives" because as far as I know they are of no benefit to your digestive tract in any way!! They are just choccy coated biscuits.They are yummy though, especially milk choccy ones dunked in a mug of sweet tea, mmmm yum!!
Moosh
Nah, the digestives are rubbish for hot beverage dipping. Hobnobs are where its at
saucy_tara
Hobnobs=drool biggrin.gif
zivane
oh great, now i'm even more confused. so, digestives do no good thign whatsoever. i mean, supposedly eating cheese after a meal helps your digestive system. maybe they are just called that so when silly americans come over, they ask funny questions?
Cath Sparrow
Digestive history lesson :- when they were originaly brought out in 1892 it was claimed that they were surposed to help with your digestion this was later disproved.

Plain Chocolate Digestives are yummy not big on Hobnobs there to sweet.
I_am_the_best
Digestives are really tastey chocolate coated biscuits. 'We make the biscuits, you make the crumbs'! They're made by McVities I think. They're quite a big biscuit company thingy. Try dunking them in milk or tea or something like that. They only really taste good when it's cold, when it's hot outside, they're a bit urgh.
zivane
Okay... i think i get it.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (zivane @ Apr 2 2005, 09:09 PM)
And, who eats them? And why?

Everybody eats them. Because they are delicious.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 2 2005, 09:39 PM)
Everybody eats them. Because they are delicious.

Not are they delicious, but if biscuits were to have a monarchy, it would be the digestive on the throne. Leaving crumbs.

Seriously, the plain digestive is the epitome of good biscuit.
Moosh
I beg to differ. The true Lord Ruler of the Biscuits would have to be the Rich Tea Biscuit. It's well established dignity and reliability has made it a byword for Englishness throught the lands
trunks_girl26
Hmm, what are Hobnobs?
Moosh
Hobnobs
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 2 2005, 10:07 PM)

I do believe CM can find a link for just about everything happy.gif /spam
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 2 2005, 09:44 PM)
I beg to differ. The true Lord Ruler of the Biscuits would have to be the Rich Tea Biscuit. It's well established dignity and reliability has made it a byword for Englishness throught the lands

Sorry I'm with Greeneyes on this, plain digestives are so much better than rich teas! You can actually eat them without dunking them in tea or coating them in honey.

I can't resist a hobnob but digestives would have to rule the biscuit empire.
Faerieryn
Nah. Jaffa Cakes rock!
zivane
*shudder* jaffa cakes. yucky. no offense, but, eeeeeeewwwwww!!!!!!
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (zivane @ Apr 2 2005, 10:30 PM)

HERETIC! *gets out his burning stick*

Jaffa Cakes are too cool to lead the Biscuit Empire, they'd probably stand around all day leaning against motorcycles listening to loud rock and go "eeeyyy" at everything they see.

Jaffa Cakes > God
Phyllis
Jaffa cakes are nice, but not the best thing I've ever eaten. Though strangely a few days after finishing them I wanted more. unsure.gif They had digestives in that store where Lo and I found them as well, I think.
little_bear
QUOTE (zivane @ Apr 2 2005, 11:30 PM)

ohmy.gif

Be thee mad! Jaffa cakes are the finest biscuit variety known to man! I routinely find myself munching through a box and before I know it, they're gone.

*Mental Note: Must treat self to industrial sized crate of Jaffa Cakes*
Cath Sparrow
Jaffa cakes aren't biscutes though! Their Cakes!!
Usurper MrTeapot
Thats what they want you to think. They're intelligent items of nosh.
Arachnidoc18
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 2 2005, 07:18 PM)
Thats what they want you to think. They're intelligent items of nosh.

Are they biscuits or cakes? The Jaffa Cake consipiriacy, Tonight on 20/20.
zivane
I honestly hate the way they taste... and their texture. Ew. I prefer Archway soft chewy iced gingerbread. ^.^ But... I don't think those are available in the UK. So I end up not eating biscuits/cookies in the UK. Almost ever. Unless! There are giant soft chocolate chip ones. Or soft cookies that involve chocolate. Or chocolate chips. Pepperidge Farm is good stuff too. Milano. Yum.
depressed lonely crazy person
how do you lot feel about home made snickerdoodles?
They're my fav....
Tarantio
QUOTE (trunks_girl26 @ Apr 2 2005, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 2 2005, 10:07 PM)

I do believe CM can find a link for just about everything happy.gif /spam

a little unfair, though, the link was to CHOCOLATE hobnobs, which, although tasty to the extreme, just aren't the original hobnobs, which come without the chocolate and are a bit dry sometimes but still really tasty rolleyes.gif
Sky
I like chocolate digestives. I like hobnobs. But chocolate hobnobs take things a bit far...

And caramel chocolate fingers are just...fundamentally wrong.

( Although caramel chocolate digestives are delightsome and go down a treat at tea parties everywhere. )
zivane
OMG homemade snickerdoodles. My mum makes them for me every christmas. I have the absolute WORST time around them because I just keep wanting to eat them... and yeah, I can't. Not going any further into that.

But homemade snickerdoodles. Mmm. With milk. Or any of my mum's homemade cookies.
Polocrunch
For more information on the biscuit debate and news-and-views on all beverage- and confectionary-related matters, Polocrunch News Corp recommends that you take a look at the highly informative and undeniably amusing Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down website.
Moosh
QUOTE (Arachnidoc18 @ Apr 3 2005, 03:48 AM)

McVities proved that they were biscuits to get them VAT exempt. Appearently they are biscuits because biscuits go soft when they are stale and cakes go hard when they are stale. And Jaffas go soft. So there you go
Phyllis
QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Apr 3 2005, 01:51 AM)
how do you lot feel about home made snickerdoodles?
They're my fav....

It's been my experience that a lot of people in the UK (and some in the states) don't know what they are. I've sent some to EvilSpoon and Daedalus, and now moop though he hasn't gotten them yet, and Lo has sent them to Polo and Sean to help educate the snickerdoodleless. Well, that wasn't the reason for sending any of the cookies, but oh well...none of them knew what snickerdoodles were beforehand.

You have them in Australia? Yay Australia. I love snickerdoodles...though I don't know if they're my favourite cookie. I've been helping my mum make them every Christmas since I was old enough to sit up on my own...along with chocolate crinkles, which are also fairly good.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 3 2005, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Arachnidoc18 @ Apr 3 2005, 03:48 AM)

McVities proved that they were biscuits to get them VAT exempt. Appearently they are biscuits because biscuits go soft when they are stale and cakes go hard when they are stale. And Jaffas go soft. So there you go

I'm afraid you you have your information completely back to front CM. They proved they were cakes so they wouldn't have to pay duty a they go hard when they go stale. Also they'd be done for trade descriptions if they weren't cake.
Moosh
Gah, damn relating long forgotten anecdotes for comedic effect yet failing to recall the vital element but making up one that sounds good in the hope that anyone else who knows it will think they are wrong and not correct it.
Polocrunch
Sorry Cheese, you just misled the general Matazone public. You're banned for a decade. Yes, I do have that power.

tongue.gif
CommieBastard
In biscuit news today, the biscuitologists of Marks and Spencer have developed a biscuit that is perfect for dunking in tea.

"The round shape of biscuits such as ginger nuts makes them difficult to dunk because they have a large surface area and tend to disintegrate rapidly. Also their shape makes it hard to fit in the mug.

"Our cookies are thick, unlike some, such as rich tea, which fall apart because they are thin.

"The chocolate in our cookies glues them together so they don't disintegrate. They also have chocolate chips inside them, which taste great when they melt during dunking.
Greeneyes
...can someone tell me just why people actually dunk biscuits in tea? I mean, why? Does it make the tea taste better? No. Does it make the biscuit taste better? No. You just end up with soggy biscuit and less tea.
CommieBastard
Sounds like somebody has never dunked a quadruple-chocolate biscuit!
Greeneyes
Somebody is bloody proud of it as well!

*mutters about soggy biscuits*
zivane
Perhaps it's similar to dunking oreos into milk? Crunchy cookies annoy me. And I actually think that putting an oreo or two into a glass of milk makes it much better in the end.

But as for your 'biscuit' being dunked into your tea... uhm, the crunchiness factor perhaps? I don't know if your biscuits are crunchy though.
CommieBastard
With chocolate coated biscuits, it is because it gives them delicious melty goodness.
Greeneyes
Blasphemy! You want melted chocolate, you use the microwave like everyone else! No solid other than teabag (or tea leaves, if that's your thing) should pass into the tea-ey goodness!

*starts one-man vigilante*
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I do dunk my biscuits on occasion but only when I don't feel like chewing! Don't like the crumby-ness that it gives the tea though.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I dunk because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to chew. *noddles*

*EDIT* And it seems Snoo was posting exactly the same thing at the same time. biggrin.gif

So... chocolate digestives are the best. Rich Tea suck arse.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Apr 3 2005, 08:35 PM)
I dunk because I'm lazy and can't be bothered to chew.  *noddles*

*EDIT* And it seems Snoo was posting exactly the same thing at the same time.    biggrin.gif

So...  chocolate digestives are the best.  Rich Tea suck arse.

Great minds think alike wink.gif

/spam
Polocrunch
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 3 2005, 06:31 PM)
In biscuit news today, the biscuitologists of Marks and Spencer have developed a biscuit that is perfect for dunking in tea.

The wonders of modern science. Is there anything mankind can't achieve if it puts its mind to it?
Usurper MrTeapot
I believe hobnobs to be the smart biscuit as they are too big to be dunked so you need to take a bit out of them first. Like strangling a victim to burn at the stake first.

"No! Don't dunk me in that boiling hot water!"
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (zivane @ Apr 2 2005, 04:25 PM)
Okay... i think i get it.

actually, for us non-Brits, Digestive biscuits = Graham Crackers. and I tried Chocolate Hobnobs once... Fantastic! wish I could get 'em all the time! Question: Why do you Brits out there, get real Chocolate on your Biscuits, while we poor colonials suffer fudge on our cookies? It's not fair! mad.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Apr 4 2005, 03:56 AM)
Question: Why do you Brits out there, get real Chocolate on your Biscuits, while we poor colonials suffer fudge on our cookies?  It's not fair! mad.gif

Well you see that's because we are British, and eating biscuits and drinking tea is what we do. tongue.gif It's only to be expected, really.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Apr 4 2005, 03:56 AM)
actually, for us non-Brits, Digestive biscuits = Graham Crackers.

But some Americans (Cand, I think is one of them) don't know what Graham Crackers are.
Moosh
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 4 2005, 12:04 AM)
I believe hobnobs to be the smart biscuit as they are too big to be dunked so you need to take a bit out of them first. Like strangling a victim to burn at the stake first.

"No! Don't dunk me in that boiling hot water!"

You clearly use mugs that are too small
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.