Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Culture Shock
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Snugglebum the Destroyer
CM is correct Mr Teapot. Let me demonstrate:

No biscuit is too large for my mug, not even the mighty Hobnob. Mwahahahahahahah!!!
Faerieryn
whats a snickerdoodle? It sounds like a nice word for the excrement of a chocolate bar but I seriously doubt that!
Usurper MrTeapot
Ah but is that coffee to tea you are dunking into? A pox on you coffee-dunkers and you're too large mugs.

You are excused if it is a Hot Chocolate Beverage.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
It is tea - but I didn't eat the Hobnob as I don't munch biscuits often.

However, my son seemed to enjoy it very much. biggrin.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Apr 4 2005, 03:56 AM)
Question: Why do you Brits out there, get real Chocolate on your Biscuits, while we poor colonials suffer fudge on our cookies?  It's not fair! mad.gif

For the simple reason that were you poor colonials to actually put chocolate on your biscuits, it would misguidedly be that brown hell that you call Hersheys. Not proper chocolate like what we 'ave 'ere. Which would ruin a perfectly servicable biscuit.
zivane
Snickerdoodles... are a type of sugar cookie with uhm, well I'm not entirely sure to be exact. Cinnamon and brown sugar are involved, I do believe.
I_am_the_best
Cookies made of sugar?! It's like a whole new dimension to hyperness!
Phyllis
They're not made entirely of sugar. I think you're misinterpreting what a sugar cookie is. A sugar cookie is just a plain cookie, really.

Snickerdoodles have flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking soda, salt, and that very important ingredient: cream of tartar. That's what gives them their snickerdoodley taste. They're rolled up into balls and dipped in cinnamon sugar before baking...where they flatten out into a nice cookie shape.
Mata
QUOTE (candice @ Apr 4 2005, 04:08 PM)
They're not made entirely of sugar.  I think you're misinterpreting what a sugar cookie is.  A sugar cookie is just a plain cookie, really.

Snickerdoodles have flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking soda, salt, and that very important ingredient: cream of tartar.  That's what gives them their snickerdoodley taste.  They're rolled up into balls and dipped in cinnamon sugar before baking...where they flatten out into a nice cookie shape.

Now, if only those creationists had told me that then I would gladly have accepted that as evidence that God exists biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 4 2005, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (candice @ Apr 4 2005, 04:08 PM)
They're not made entirely of sugar.  I think you're misinterpreting what a sugar cookie is.   A sugar cookie is just a plain cookie, really.

Snickerdoodles have flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking soda, salt, and that very important ingredient: cream of tartar.  That's what gives them their snickerdoodley taste.  They're rolled up into balls and dipped in cinnamon sugar before baking...where they flatten out into a nice cookie shape.

Now, if only those creationists had told me that then I would gladly have accepted that as evidence that God exists biggrin.gif

Watch it Cand if your not carefull your going to spend your whole time over here making everyone Snickerdoodles!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Cath @ Apr 4 2005, 08:30 AM)
Watch it Cand if your not carefull your going to spend your whole time over here making everyone Snickerdoodles!

I'll bring the recipe and hand it out so people can make them on their own. tongue.gif
beleraphon
but we are forgetting the borbon biscuit
the right shape to dip in a hot drink as they are rectangular and thus fit most cups or mugs
2 chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with chocolate icing, ideal!

I make my own and they rule smile.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (beleraphon @ Apr 4 2005, 04:35 PM)
but we are forgetting the borbon biscuit
the right shape to dip in a hot drink as they are rectangular and thus fit most cups or mugs
2 chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with chocolate icing, ideal!

I make my own and they rule smile.gif

I dislike those, sometimes you get them back to front with the outside bit of the biscuit facing in and it all gets so muddled. Not enjoyable at all.
froggle-rock
OH! Teapot, hunny I was raised on borbons and I have found them to be quite the tea dunking biscuit. I must say I much prefer them for dipping then hobnobs.

Digstives and rich tea are just boring, unless of course you make faces on them with icining *licks lips*, But the chocolate digestives are nice, especialy when the chocolate melts on your fingers whilst you hold it, mmm.

Of late though I have been munching de cookies.
Calantyr
Milky earl gray tea + chocolate chip cookies = Very happy Dave biggrin.gif
Polocrunch
Say, how do people eat their Bourbons? I always bite off the top biscuit layer, then scrape off the chocolate, then eat the rest.
Calantyr
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 4 2005, 09:46 PM)
Say, how do people eat their Bourbons? I always bite off the top biscuit layer, then scrape off the chocolate, then eat the rest.

Thats precisely it! Savour each part at a time. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
froggle-rock
Sometimes Polo I do that to two, then press them together and scoff the uber borbon I created! MWAH HAHAH. But erm. Or I do what you do with one at a time. If I'm in company I try to eat the borbon as it is. But family, friends and lovers have seen me do it.
Polocrunch
*spontaneously starts crying*

You guys, you've no idea how long I've been looking for a group of people who eat Bourbons the same way as me. For years I've been ostracised and scoffed by my family and friends, but now Matazone has provided. God Bless the United Forums of Mata!

Ooh! And a tip for consuming Penguins: bite off two of the corners (make sure they're opposite diagonal corners, not on the same side). Dip one bitten-off corner into hot chocolate, suck the liquid in from the opposite corner and then quickly withdraw the Penguin, turn it round and stuff the whole lot into your mouth extra quickly. It is heavenly.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 4 2005, 09:42 PM)
Ooh! And a tip for consuming Penguins: bite off two of the corners (make sure they're opposite diagonal corners, not on the same side). Dip one bitten-off corner into hot chocolate, suck the liquid in from the opposite corner and then quickly withdraw the Penguin, turn it round and stuff the whole lot into your mouth extra quickly. It is heavenly.

NO NO NO! That method is a Tim Tam trademark. They are my snack of choice over in the land of Aussie.
CommieBastard
... um. This is embarassing.

I appear to have accidently deleted Polocrunch's post - the one MrTeapot quotes.

Well, it was on purpose, but when I did it there were two of them, and now there's none. Which is odd.

Anyway. Um. Sorry about that. It's quoted by T anyway.
Polocrunch
ohmy.gif

Words do not begin to describe how deeply you have hurt me, Commie.

I'll copy and paste the quoted text into my post.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (snoo @ Apr 4 2005, 03:27 AM)
actually, for us non-Brits, Digestive biscuits = Graham Crackers.

But some Americans (Cand, I think is one of them) don't know what Graham Crackers are.

an American not knowing what a Graham cracker is! *Gasp* most of us are raised on 'em...

But, if you get Keebler cookies, the fudge covered ones are Graham Crackers underneath the fudge... kinda like shortbread, really, but thinner, and more crumbly...
voices_in_my_head
But some Americans (Cand, I think is one of them) don't know what Graham Crackers are.

Is it possible not to know what a graham cracker is? I was practicly raised on them....

Edit: Quoth? did you read my mind?
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 4 2005, 07:36 AM)
Question: Why do you Brits out there, get real Chocolate on your Biscuits, while we poor colonials suffer fudge on our cookies?  It's not fair! mad.gif

For the simple reason that were you poor colonials to actually put chocolate on your biscuits, it would misguidedly be that brown hell that you call Hersheys. Not proper chocolate like what we 'ave 'ere. Which would ruin a perfectly servicable biscuit.

Hey, Hershey's is just fine, thank you! and there are many other kinds of chocolate here, as well, including stuff imported from Europe (Although, oddly, very little English chocolate makes it to the stores....).
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Apr 4 2005, 08:40 PM)

Is it possible not to know what a graham cracker is? I was practicly raised on them....

Edit: Quoth? did you read my mind?

I wish! Just think of the possibilities of mind reading... especially around Banks... evil.gif
Phyllis
Uhmmmm I know what graham crackers are. I tried to explain them to Brits who didn't know what they were once in IRC...
Jonman
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Apr 5 2005, 01:43 AM)
Hey, Hershey's is just fine, thank you! and there are many other kinds of chocolate here, as well, including stuff imported from Europe (Although, oddly, very little English chocolate makes it to the stores....).

On the one hand, let's agree to disagree, but on the other hand, calling Hershey's 'chocolate' is like calling Budweiser 'beer'.

Simply morally repugnant (to gourmands)
Phyllis
Hershey's clearly isn't chocolate. It's...icky. I've never liked it, even as a kid. Especially the plain bars of it...gah they taste bitter and weird. And I've not yet even been out of America, so...I'm quite unbiased by outside sources, thank you. *nods authoritatively*
Moosh
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 4 2005, 10:40 PM)

Or, drink coffee by biting off both ends of a kitkat and useing it as a straw, tastes great
JimiJimi
Slightly unbiscuity, but:

When I was a kid I used to drink milk using a chip as a straw... eurgh... I also used to eat ice-cream using a chip as a spoon. Also eurgh.

Much chip related hilarities.

And for the more biscuity news:

Starbucks do some weird stuff... caramel thingies that you put over your coffee mug to melt the caramel in... how odd. But shortbread is where it's at, ooh yeah.

But for dunking? Well, I'm not a very tea-ey or coffee-ey person, but occasionally when I do have tea/coffee I'll just dunk in whatever there is in the cupboard, as long as it's edible. Fortune cookies, biscuits, chocolate, teabags (usually) etc. etc. Fortune cookies are really nice with tea. Or whatever.

Or maybe I'm just rambling because I'm not a tea-ey or coffee-ey or biscuit-ey person...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Apr 6 2005, 07:49 PM)
Starbucks do some weird stuff... caramel thingies that you put over your coffee mug to melt the caramel in... how odd.

Not really, I've seen them all over, they're quite common place and I think Italian in origin...though I can't say for sure....
Jonman
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 6 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Apr 6 2005, 07:49 PM)
Starbucks do some weird stuff... caramel thingies that you put over your coffee mug to melt the caramel in... how odd.

Not really, I've seen them all over, they're quite common place and I think Italian in origin...though I can't say for sure....

Or, like everything Starbucks, they're invented by some dangerously middle class executives in Seattle.
beleraphon
syropwaffle
(yes that is the right spelling)
they are european - from belgium I think and really good with latte!
Polocrunch
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 6 2005, 08:46 PM)
Or, like everything Starbucks, they're invented by some dangerously middle class executives in Seattle.

Are there varying degrees of safety in being middle class? If I became a little less middle class do you think I might make the world a securer place? tongue.gif
depressed lonely crazy person
They're not made entirely of sugar. I think you're misinterpreting what a sugar cookie is. A sugar cookie is just a plain cookie, really.

Snickerdoodles have flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking soda, salt, and that very important ingredient: cream of tartar. That's what gives them their snickerdoodley taste. They're rolled up into balls and dipped in cinnamon sugar before baking...where they flatten out into a nice cookie shape.

I put nutmeg in the mixture aswell!
Phyllis
QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Apr 6 2005, 05:25 PM)

I put nutmeg in the mixture aswell!

ohmy.gif blasphemy! That wouldn't taste very snickerdoodley. You should call those nutdoodles or snickermegs or something else combining the words snickerdoodle and nutmeg, because otherwise you are just misrepresenting the type of cookies you are offering!
Jonman
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Apr 6 2005, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 6 2005, 08:46 PM)

Are there varying degrees of safety in being middle class? If I became a little less middle class do you think I might make the world a securer place? tongue.gif

The only danger is to yourself, that you might disappear up your own arse.
zivane
Alright. Invested in rich tea biscuits, Hobnobs, and Penguins. The verdict is...

Hobnobs. OMG they are sooooooooooooo freakin' great. I have this little suitcase going back with me that well, is empty. It's going to filled with nothing but Hobnobs. Well, and Cadbury Dairy Milk bars. And lemon Fanta. And shortbread from Fortnum and Mason. And Fortnum and Mason teas. Mmm. Hobnobs. Wow.

Funny story inserted here:
Last night me (a crazy American) ended up making 6 cups of tea for 2 Americans (including myself) and 4 English people. Only because we wanted the other American girl to try a Hobnob. Hehe. It was much fun. And we ruined someone's diet in the process. Heh heh. Hobnobs are now... uhm, a reason to keep on existing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.