Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Evil Connection
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Forever Unknown
Bah.

My broadband connection keeps dropping out. Sometimes after an hour, sometimes after thirty seconds (and anywhere inbetween).

I have so far:

- Purchased new microfilters;
- Purchased a new modem cable & telephone extension lead (our puppies have a habit of chewing through them) - modem cable claiming to be "superfast".
- Deleted a sh*tload of files and stuff I didn't need.
- Run three virus checks (one saying I had 79 (!), but didn't get rid of them, one saying I had 13 and got rid of the SpyWare stuffy, one saying I had one and getting rid of it)
- Renewed my Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security stuff at 33
- Re-installed my BT Broadband stuff

That's cost me about 65 and hours and hours of grief. I had this trouble when I first started and I know all BT will do is put me on hold for 45 minutes and then tell me it's all fine, or to plug it into the main connection (and describing it... Which happens to describe every. single. connection. in. our. house.), and saying they'll bring someone out if they have to, but at a hefty fee.

It's pretty much driven me to the point of insanity. Anything else I can do before I bite the bullet and give BT a call?
Jonman
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Apr 4 2005, 09:11 PM)
Bah.

My broadband connection keeps dropping out. Sometimes after an hour, sometimes after thirty seconds (and anywhere inbetween).

I have so far:

- Purchased new microfilters;
- Purchased a new modem cable & telephone extension lead (our puppies have a habit of chewing through them) - modem cable claiming to be "superfast".
- Deleted a sh*tload of files and stuff I didn't need.
- Run three virus checks (one saying I had 79 (!), but didn't get rid of them, one saying I had 13 and got rid of the SpyWare stuffy, one saying I had one and getting rid of it)
- Renewed my Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security stuff at 33
- Re-installed my BT Broadband stuff

That's cost me about 65 and hours and hours of grief. I had this trouble when I first started and I know all BT will do is put me on hold for 45 minutes and then tell me it's all fine, or to plug it into the main connection (and describing it... Which happens to describe every. single. connection. in. our. house.), and saying they'll bring someone out if they have to, but at a hefty fee.

It's pretty much driven me to the point of insanity. Anything else I can do before I bite the bullet and give BT a call?

...bit of advice.

When you actually get through to someone at BT, demand to speak to their supervisor. Cry if needs be. It was the only way we actually got anything done when we had BT internet troubles at our last flat.

When you get through to the supervisor, tell them that your BT connection is as good as useless, and if they can't fix it, you'll take your business elsewhere. Also, if you complain enough (and it's actually their fault), they'll credit your account to some degree. As they should.
dragoncloud
hiya I had same problem so what I had to do although it was with a wanadoo broadband connection and not good old Bt one hehe blink.gif . was to purchase a rj11 lead these can be bought at any PC outlet orplaces like dixons/ currys etc and use this from your bt socket to your modem instead of the lead provided with your adsl modem , this sorted my prob out and its been trouble free regarding d/l speed .I guess Bt says the same type of story as wanadoo you can run your modem of 100ft thin wire extension cable blahblah blah not true mad.gif . it does make a big difference using a rj11 lead .one way to check if it is practical and what i got told by a wanadoo tech is to plug your pc straight into your Bt phone line even if it means unplugging everything and moving your PC over to the other side of the house hehe i am guessing you are using windows xp as your o/s and not a earlier version hope this helps unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.