Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In't Technology Brilliant!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Jonman
Considering I spend 8 hours a day + using a PC, and have done for the last 8 years, you'd think that either ( A ) I'd already know this by now, or ( B ) it doesn't excite me this much, but I've learnt the best thing ever this week.

Windows keyboard shortcuts are great. Yeah, yeah, ctrl+c and ctrl+v are good, but what about....

win+d

It's brilliant! Instant access to the desktop. Then press it again, and it'll restore your windows. All without having to use the mouse to locate the stupidly tiny bit of taskbar that isn't crammed with apps and right click.

BRILLIANT!!
CommieBastard
My God.

I... I'm speechless.

I really had no idea that shortcut existed. That's amazingly useful. Thanks, Jonman!
froggle-rock
w00t!

I had to go into the livingroom to actually use a PC to try the shortcut out. Quite nifty *nods* biggrin.gif
Jonman
That's made me feel better. I thought that I'd had a luddite blind spot all these years.
froggle-rock
You've been using it unnecessarily all day, right Jonman? wink.gif
Mata
Cool, I didn't know that one. Here's a good one, you know how often you have to right-click and pick the second thing on the menu? I use it pretty often, well, you can hold shift and then double-click and it does the second thing in the list.

Admittedly that's not as useful as Jon's, but it's still pretty nifty.
Alanity
I always used the Show Desktop thingy on the Quicklaunch bar. This is much easier...
Thank you. smile.gif
Moosh
After pressing it many times, the contrast between this post window and my sister's desktop formed a picture of Jesus. He strangley manifested as a picture of her boyfriend, which forms part of her desktop... Ah well
JimiJimi
I already knew it, but I haven't been using it for a while, so thanks Jonman...

Also win+f opens search and win+l locks the computer.

Those are the only other two I know, and I might go on a win+random key spree, just to see what they do. I'm releuctant though, just incase one combination does something I didn't want it to do...
Greeneyes
Holding alt then tabbing is also useful if you don't feel like reaching for the mouse.
Sir Psycho Sexy
I think win+u brings up the narrator...don't try it, I spent 10 minutes trying to get rid of it again >_<
Hobbes
Try

Left ALT + Left SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN

(toggles the effect on and off)
JimiJimi
I did it and un-did it, and now my display settings are screwed!

Arrgh...

But win+e brings up windows explorer. Woo.
froggle-rock
Oh my! I've known about the F9 key on the Mac, it tiles things. My friend just showed me F11 + Shift! It's woah! -It moves all the windows to the side so you can see the desk top, but with shift it does it slowly! And, and if you keep pressing F11 whilst holding down shift then stop it carrys on, and you can still type and I'm very excited biggrin.gif

Erm, so yeah try!
Hobbes
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Apr 10 2005, 05:54 PM)
I did it and un-did it, and now my display settings are screwed!

Arrgh...

Ooops... sorry sad.gif

But it looked freaky, huh? biggrin.gif

ahem
kisah
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 5 2005, 08:02 AM)
Considering I spend 8 hours a day + using a PC, and have done for the last 8 years, you'd think that either ( A ) I'd already know this by now, or ( B ) it doesn't excite me this much, but I've learnt the best thing ever this week.

Windows keyboard shortcuts are great. Yeah, yeah, ctrl+c and ctrl+v are good, but what about....

win+d

It's brilliant! Instant access to the desktop. Then press it again, and it'll restore your windows. All without having to use the mouse to locate the stupidly tiny bit of taskbar that isn't crammed with apps and right click.

BRILLIANT!!

Uhm... Mr. Jonman... I can't find a 'win' key on our lappy. blush.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (kisah @ Apr 22 2005, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 5 2005, 08:02 AM)

win+d

BRILLIANT!!

Uhm... Mr. Jonman... I can't find a 'win' key on our lappy. blush.gif

It might not have one now I come to think of it. If it does, it'll be in between CTRL and ALT, and have the old Windoze logo on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.