Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Depressed
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Pages: 1, 2
HoldenCaulfield
what do you do to cheer yourself up?
pgrmdave
I like to go outside at night and look up at the stars and just think.
I_am_the_best
I like to think of all the people who I'm betraying by being sad. Like my piano teacher. I don't know why it's betraying her, it's just that I seem like such a happy, floaty person with her, and so I think about people like that and I feel happy.
zivane
I look at cute things. Or cute websites (www.ratemykitten.com is awesome). Or I rant. Or scream really really loudly at random objects. Or have chocolate. Or pickled ginger. Ginger is one of those types of foods that makes you "happy"...
PsychWardMike
...Moving this to Personal Concerns...

Oh damnit. Not a mod.

But someday...

Anyway, I enjoy making a scrumptious meal, writing in my novel, or, most importantly writing a happy song. Most of my major pieces were written whilst I was in more of a minor mood.
Calantyr
I drink.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 28 2005, 09:55 PM)
I drink.

Second that.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 28 2005, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 28 2005, 09:55 PM)
I drink.

Second that.

Thirded. Then I pass out.

*pretty sure thirded isn't a word*
depressed lonely crazy person
I injected vegemite once.....................
voices_in_my_head
I listen to music, or read a book.

If I'm really feeling bad, then I'll bring a blanket out to my backyard, and just sit outside for awhile and kind of zone out.
Aria
Exercise. It does wonders.
Meditation.
Watching funny movies.
Eating good quality chocolate.
Reading good books.
Watching cartoons.
Watching Godzilla movies. Bad, but hilarious.
believe
I like to play online and blare some good music. That usually picks up in my mood eventually.
HoldenCaulfield
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 28 2005, 08:55 PM)
I drink.

I find that falling down the stairs with an empty bottle of vodka in my hand does little to alleviate my depressed state...
Greeneyes
Be busy. If you're not busy, you'll think too much, and if you do that, it won't help. The less you think about whatever it is the better. Try playing some a sport or something else active.
Aislinn Faye
I usually have a good cry, it really makes me feel alot better, it's like the tears just purge me. I might still feel sad about it, but after crying it's like I have a weight off my shoulders.

Speaking of good cries, I know that females have them but what is the male equivilent (sp)?

Oh, and it's good to keep yourself busy, but don't just bury your emotions.
HoldenCaulfield
I find that crying can help too (apparently it is something to do with losing some of the hormones that are making you sad... don't know how true that is though). keeping busy is also good, I have spent the day doing past exam papers, but that also means that late at night when you cant sleep you have time to think...
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ Apr 30 2005, 01:15 PM)
Speaking of good cries, I know that females have them but what is the male equivilent (sp)?

Who said men don't cry? I do.
Sir Psycho Sexy
A good cry can help, sleeping always helps to, if I'm feeling a little down, I have a sleep, I wake up feeling a helluva lot better. Also Killing on the name of by Rage against the machine always gets me in a better mood, I used to listen to it every Thursday afternoon while walking home from Uni, it was a bastard long day and always used to put me in a bad mood or make me feel a little down, that always cheered me up a little....
Chronotub
personaly I like to do something to take my mind of whatever I'm upset about, I find playing with my cat helps most.
pgrmdave
QUOTE (Aria)
Exercise. It does wonders.

I've heard that exercise, for only 15-30 minutes a day, can have the same mood boosting ability as most drugs designed for lifting depression.
Jaq
I like to take care of other people. That's really the only thing that'll get me out of it. If someone else has a problem or I need to take care of children, that will snap me out of my depression and makes me feel better by being useful for them.

When I don't have anyone to take care of I'll write long, dramatic ASW letters which I'll bury in my LJ, delete, or tear up... depending on what I've written it on.
little-gonzo-girl
i watch the stars and draw, if im really bad then i write a letter to one of my friends (sometimes they recieve it sometimes they don't)

but one thing that always makes me happy is getting my bestfriend over and watching a johnny depp film with hot chocolate and explaining whats wrong (jonny depp should be put on the NHS in telling you)
HoldenCaulfield
does anyone else ever feel like ending it all?
little-gonzo-girl
QUOTE (HoldenCaulfield @ May 9 2005, 06:20 PM)

yes, but I was left behind by someone I loved deeply and although times get hard and noone seems to care I could never do that to my friends and family now. Iv been there if you ever need to talk Im here.
Chronotub
QUOTE (HoldenCaulfield @ May 9 2005, 07:20 PM)

I have on rare ocasions thought about it, but I have never considerd it a serious option.
If you do feel like that though you should talk to someone, friends, family, any one who will listen
Paranoid
QUOTE (HoldenCaulfield @ May 9 2005, 06:20 PM)

Unfortunately yes. But then I stopped someone from doing exactly that. And although I had felt the same way before, I couldn't comprehend for the life of me why they felt that way.

Look at all the things you have to be happy for.
Think of what you'd say to them if one of your closest friends/family members felt that way. What would they say to you? It really puts things in perspective when you swap roles and see how devastating something like that would be for them.
surewhynot
well during school if i get depressed all i do is look a people and when they have smiles on their faces i get happy too!!!!
Faerieryn
I usualy do two things.

1) Throw my hairbrush at the wall (bad hairbrush!!! Naughty hairbrush!! How dare you depress me)

2) Phone Smiler and whinge at him. He will almost definitely tell me to shut up in the most sweet way and make me feel 100% better.

Life generally has been good to me of late but a shite day at work can change that all very quickly.

Talking to the dudes on here can help a lot too
HoldenCaulfield
One of my friends goes through patches of feeling depressed when she hurts herself and i feel like a hyprocrite telling her that she should stop and she does not take me seriously either as i have started doing it regularly myself. you know when you just feel so alone, and noone understands and no matter what people say to cheer you up they can not understand how you feel when youre alone. during the day you feel fine, you see your friends, its nice, but when you are home alone you feel like a different person. then that starts to change to where you feel like the latter all the time and no matter how hard you try to stop you can't.
little-gonzo-girl
I remember being like that. I felt like I was riped in two: one of me was a happy person who knew all the jokes and never let anything get her down, the other one was horrible, a total loner who was pulled into herself so much there was no more light. Sometimes it still feels like that. When the pain got to much my arms were riped to shreads and noone noticed which made the pain hurt more. We all hurt diffrently because everyones' situations are diffrent but you are not alone.

*hugs*
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
-Sleep! Sleeping rocks.
-Read something
-Music (but I'm constantly listening to music anyway so that doesn't really count)
-Walk somewhere? I'd probably do this if I wasn't lazy 'cos I like walking.
surewhynot
When you get depressed my new method is dont show it! Go out into public and just watch people you notice lots more. You also pay attention more! And You know your loved when people can tell even if your the best lyer on the face of the earth! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
believe
One of my friends goes through patches of feeling depressed when she hurts herself and i feel like a hyprocrite telling her that she should stop and she does not take me seriously either as i have started doing it regularly myself. you know when you just feel so alone, and noone understands and no matter what people say to cheer you up they can not understand how you feel when youre alone. during the day you feel fine, you see your friends, its nice, but when you are home alone you feel like a different person. then that starts to change to where you feel like the latter all the time and no matter how hard you try to stop you can't.

If you can't stop hurting yourself and are progressing, its time to seek help. Depression that moves beyond the typical-ish teenage angst and heads off into things like hurting yourself means you need a bit of help to pull yourself out of it. It can take time, therapy and more time, but there's always a chance to get better.
HoldenCaulfield
Maybe youre right. I was feeling better today and I walked down to the gym - i have started going everyday. But when I got there i couldnt go, so I cried all the way home and cried until i feel asleep, which was almost 2 hours ago. I hadnt let myself cry in a while so things had sort of built up. what is it with life being so rubbish all the time and nothing going right. sorry to moan, i know that other people have it worse, but i just feel so low right now.
zivane
I've started popping ephedrine 25mg tablets when i'm getting low... eh. whatever
believe
Maybe youre right. I was feeling better today and I walked down to the gym - i have started going everyday. But when I got there i couldnt go, so I cried all the way home and cried until i feel asleep, which was almost 2 hours ago. I hadnt let myself cry in a while so things had sort of built up. what is it with life being so rubbish all the time and nothing going right. sorry to moan, i know that other people have it worse, but i just feel so low right now.

The gym is good. I find it helps me with some of it all.

And you're fine, it helps to talk about it. Its probably easier than talking to family/friends. You're probably going to ignore this, but seriously.. if it doesn't go away, consider getting help. I suffered a lot more and a lot longer than I needed too because I didn't get and stay on medication. And because it didn't occur to me that I didn't have to go through hell everyday. If something's not getting better after a month or two.. yeah. Take care.
Daria
I think about how there are other people in the world who don't even have half of what I have, which then makes me feel very guilt-ridden for what I do have, but also bad for feeling depressed and sorry for myself.
Obviously not such a great thing to do, but it gets you thinking. Also, I write things down, then either just keep them and read them a little later when they all seem like silly things, or I burn them (not just because I like fire... rolleyes.gif ) which I find helps- not necissarily in a spiritual way, but just the physical action of burning all the bad things.

Hope they could be of assistance.
Fluffy
When I feel sad, I tend to take a leaf out of Piro's book and read shoujo manga until I find a similar situation to the one I'm in. Then, I just work through my problems however the characters in the manga worked through theirs (I particularly recommend Fruits Basket). However, my advice for those who are not manga-inclined (which is ironically taken from Fruits Basket) is to remember that however bad things get, however hopeless things become, they won't always be that way. Things will get better somehow, someday, no matter how horrible they are at the moment. I hope that I was of some help.
tv with legs
QUOTE (zivane @ Apr 28 2005, 01:51 PM)
I look at cute things. Or cute websites (www.ratemykitten.com is awesome). Or I rant. Or scream really really loudly at random objects. Or have chocolate. Or pickled ginger. Ginger is one of those types of foods that makes you "happy"...

you meen high? yay, i get high to, weee.
elephants go aaahhh
torn love notes
I go outside, kill a couple bugs, light sstuff on fire, and take ina deep breath of fresh air.
Velvet
I'm on medication (fluoxetine) for depression.

Apart from the medication, these are things that help lift my mood, even if it's only a little bit.

* Ranting to a great friend, friend's always offer support, HURRAH FOR FRIENDS!!
biggrin.gif

* Crying, it helps me a lot, even though I only cry if my depression takes a drop or even if I'm very overjoyed.

* Chocolate because it has some awesome ingredients, food of the gods!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

* Watching a movie I love.

* Totally chilling out in a darkened room.

Best of luck with things.
Mugen2
I always find that watching a good movie changes my outlook. If I'm down one of the classic John Hughes movies or listening to upbeat music makes the difference.
Ihatethiscrappylifeofmine
I don't do anything, but I went to a website earlier today and I suppose you could go to a public place like a party or a movie or chill out with your friends or pick some flowers or do something that you rnjoy other than being depressed *sigh* Oh, how I wish that I weren't depressed, but no-one cares, no-one ever does... I'm broken, alone... Drifting, like a fragment in a pool towards insanity... sad.gif
Mutilation
How can this song not cheer you up?
Stardust_Smile
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 10 2006, 12:12 PM)

I must admit that cheered me up considerably for some reason, maybe I'm just too easily amused tongue.gif

I find that whenever I'm sad Chocolate really helps, you can't lose with it, it just somehow makes you feel better.

I have a habit of calling my best friend whenever things go really bad, because he always ends up trying to be considerate, but then saying stupid stuff or singing down the phone to me, because that always makes me laugh.

And I think maybe if you can't talk to people about your feelings, writing it down helps to get all the negative emotions out of your system. I know that doesn't work for everybody but it's always worth a try.
Daria
That really did just make my relatively crappy day into a good one.

Thank you biggrin.gif
Star_of_Lei
I love that song.

I read.
I sit on my windowsil looking at the stars.
I cry.
I sing.
I write.
I wrap up in my duvet on the couch with my mum and we watch a click flick or a comedy.
I talk to my friends.
I watch Charmed.
Astarael
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 10 2006, 08:12 AM)

That one's curiously addictive and it gave me good chuckle after a long and headache-filled day. Thanks for putting it up!
Calantyr
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 10 2006, 01:12 PM)

I can't believe it but thats cheered me up to. Damn you!
The Lorax
I too have been uplifted by the magic of Gman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.