Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile Phones
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
CommieBastard
I have a healthy hatred for mobile phones, and have thus far resisted owning one (I did have one for a brief period, but it stopped working). However, I recently suffered an irritating waste of time and money that could very easily have been avoided if I'd had a phone. Since I value both time and money, I've decided to get one.

As I said, I hate phones. Modern phones especially. I don't want a phone to take pictures, record film, play games, access the Internet, sing songs or cook breakfast. I want it to make and receive phone calls and text messages, and store phone numbers. Nothing else.

Do they even make such things anymore? Or will I have to buy a phone with two dozen features I don't need or want? I know nothing at all about phones, so suggestions are welcome.
Mata
There are 'cheap' models for pay-as-you-go. I think that they are around 50.
Forever Unknown
I want it to make and receive phone calls and text messages, and store phone numbers. Nothing else.

Gah. I went into Phones 4 U (who're useless, for the record) with the same specifications. Bottom line - no, they don't exist. So, in protest, I continually keep losing my phone.

Ooh. I've just been told that Vodafone (or someone) are releasing one, called Simply. Which will, no doubt, be extraordinarily expensive. Y'know. For irony.
Novander
Hmm, I liked the sound of that so I went and found this.

Seems they'll cost about 80 on pay-and-go. I think if my current phone were to explode or otherwise disappear, I'd get one of these instead.
sarcastic150
A better plan is too ask your friends if they have any old models that you can have. as loong as you have a sim card your sorted. But as far as your stance on phones i dissaree, i would LOVE my phone to make me breakfast and sing me songs! no even better, you know the carphone warehouse ad, i want a phone like that! It solves all my problems! It would be my friend, or if i disliked it it could be my slave or i could turn it off! But as to pictures on phones they're great! you can remember the night before (which can be hard to do by seeing a fuzzy picture of some person you've never met) But wow what a world we live in, they now offer technology that allows us to remember a saturday night! You do ocasionally get a photo you have no recolection of taking of someone you have a vague memory of seeing in a pub a few years ago, but now in the world of technology you can have a video of someone you've never met. You can also have photo's of thing you never thought you had done. This can sometimes be a game, guess who the woman your kissing in a photo is.

Sorry about chatting about loads of stuff that proobably makes no sense but was quite fun writing.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Novander @ May 21 2005, 10:26 PM)
Hmm, I liked the sound of that so I went and found this.

Seems they'll cost about 80 on pay-and-go. I think if my current phone were to explode or otherwise disappear, I'd get one of these instead.

Bloody hell, 80? For a phone that does the absolute minimum necessary to qualify for the name?
CommieBastard
It's also ugly as sin.
Forever Unknown
Bloody hell, 80? For a phone that does the absolute minimum necessary to qualify for the name?

Whereas two years ago you could get the same thing for half the price.

Well done, Vodafone. Some wicked marketing there.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ May 21 2005, 11:26 PM)

Whereas two years ago you could get the same thing for half the price.

Well done, Vodafone. Some wicked marketing there.

My old phone could do that and it had Snake, and it cost 30. That's what I expected this to cost, and honestly I'd not want to pay much more for a phone...
I_am_the_best
I'm sure that some people must still have the old phones from the 90s. There are lots of them floating about my house. If you really wanted I could send you one, but you'd need a sim card aswell. the only thing is, they're quite annoying because they make big bulges in your pockets and are quite 'chunky'... I think there's even one of those really old ones with the big bags attached... unsure.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Another plus of a very old model is you'll never be mugged.

"Give me your phone."
"Its a Phillips Savy."
"Seriously? Nah its alright mate."

Edit: Typed 'old mobile phones' into google and got this. Wicked.
Moosh
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 21 2005, 02:23 PM)
I want it to make and receive phone calls and text messages, and store phone numbers. Nothing else.

My phone does that, it does have other useful features such as a Calendar with reminders and an alarm. I think you can still get them, it does have a colour screnn and polyphonic ringtones, but no camera, no picture messaging, no screensavers, no street cred whatsoever: Nokia 3510i
Daedalus
Try the Nokia 1100, it's cheap and I believe it has snake

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/...rtModel=NOK1100

EDIT: this is snoo on Dans computer >_>
Tom
ohmy.gif Phones rubbish! dry.gif Why why why!If you want one like you wanted i'll happile sell one to you
for about 60 rolleyes.gif
little_bear
I used to have a Nokia 3210 which was as ugly as sin, but it did the job, and cost me 30 quid from my local phone shop on Pay as You Go.

I say "used to" because I recently sold my soul to the god of Capitalism and brought a rather spanking Motorola v545 which is very nice, and with many a useless feature.

Ultimately, it's down to what your needs are. No-one needs a camera phone, or video messaging capabilities, but if you want them, they're out there. If you've never had a phone before, just go for one of the dead cheap, older models. Pop into your local independant mobile place and make some queries. They should be pretty helpful.
mooooooooooopo
I have an old Motorola t191 I'm willing to get rid of (I only got a phone because they paid my line rental for a year, gave me the phone free, a free playstation at the same time and most importantly a free upgrade every year). It's pretty basic (though it plays games and can access the internet ohmy.gif) and unlocked so it'll work with any network.

I can drag it along to London for when cand arrives if you're interested.

It's a pretty nice if rather old phone - smaller than the low end Nokia's and far less chavvy.

(It's worth about a tenner, at least that's the value I could have traded it in for if I hadn't decided it wasn't worth it)
CommieBastard
Does it need line rental etc? If so I'll pass, if not I'm interested smile.gif
Jonman
Get thee to Ebay.

Old phones by the bucketload on there. Tuppence a bag.

All you need then is a SIM and you're rocking.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 27 2005, 01:08 PM)

There's no sim card in it so it won't work on its own but on the plus side there are more options.

Sim only pay as you go deals cost as little as a tenner with no line rental (excluding topping up your credit). Phones are the expensive bits with pay as you go - since there's no contract the companies tend not to want to subsidise the cost of the handset.
Pab
Subtitles: "No, it doesnt"
CommieBastard
QUOTE (moop @ May 27 2005, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ May 27 2005, 01:08 PM)

There's no sim card in it so it won't work on its own but on the plus side there are more options.

Sim only pay as you go deals cost as little as a tenner with no line rental (excluding topping up your credit). Phones are the expensive bits with pay as you go - since there's no contract the companies tend not to want to subsidise the cost of the handset.

Ah, right, so that depends on the sim card? Alright, I'll buy that one off you then smile.gif
froggle-rock
And I have an O2 pay as you go SIM to offer. Commiekins is teh sorted?
mooooooooooopo
Cool. I'll drag it to London with me in a few weeks time. smile.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ May 27 2005, 03:39 PM)
And I have an O2 pay as you go SIM to offer.  Commiekins is teh sorted?

That's what I was thinking biggrin.gif W00t!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.