Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Jacket
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Righteous

It's not a jacket; it's The Jacket. Show some respect

Anyhow, I've been working on The Jacket for about eight years now. It's basically a cross between a scrapbook, memory quilt and security blanket. As silly as it sounds, it means more to me than anything I own. It's a haggard-ass, faded black piece of denim, but it's mine and it's been with me for years. To the best of my memory, only three people other than me have worn it (it's an honor to wear it, and yes Spiffy was one of them).

Now, each patch means something and/or has some historical significance in my life.
Left Arm
The "Generation X" alien patch represents seventh grade, the height of my alien obsession.
The "Build-A-Bear Workshop" patch I got when I visited Spiffy for the first time.
Left Upper Vest
The Metallica quadralellagram is from eight grade when I began to get into metal.
The "Loser" patch I got when my friend took me to Hot Topic to cheer me up after losing a job.
Left Lower Vest
The "I've Been Abducted" patch is from sixth grade when I started getting into aliens.
The "Keep On Truckin'" patch was given to me by my high school wrestling coach, whose team hammered me into a man.
I hate ICP (whose patch is hard to see), but my friend Jon does and Jon's awesome and, therefore, belongs on The Jacket.
Right Upper Vest
The black and silver alien patch I bought off of some kid in my class in the ninth grade. It was the first patch I bought in Florida.
The "PSYCHO" patch makes me think of my friend Lars, who was one of the best guys I've ever met, however the most reckless and dangerous.
Right Lower Vest
The Jacksonville Zoo one was given to me by my little sister, who means the world to me.
The Dr. Pepper patch reminds me of two people. The first is my friend Tim bacause while watching a George Carlin bit, we antiqued him just as Carlin said "Dr. Pepper." The other person is LoLo for when she gave me Hell after I was bitching and complaining about being devoid of the sweet, sweet liquid.
The triangle patch with the rainbow therein commemorate my coming out, however if anyone asks, it's for my friends Meghan and Mandy.
What you can't see is another patch with "PSYCHO" in creepy-ass lettering which I got from a friend of my first girlfriend.
Front Right Arm
The "Beast" patch with the truck on it was also given to me by my high school wrestling coach (his mom was a trucker).
The heartagram patch I got from Spiffy when I visited her last Christmas.
Back Right Arm
Spiffy bought it for me when she spent the summer at my house last year.
Back
THough I hate skull-and-crossbones, my old buddy Flip was a skull-and-crossbones kind of guy.
The DQ patch is to remind me of all the fun times I had when my friends worked at the Queen here in town.
The anarchy patch I got during my first freshman semester at university and all of the things that went down therein.
Right Cuff
This is actually my favorite patch. To me, it represents everything that happened during my eighteenth year of life, everything from getting into drugs, to losing my virginity, to Matazone, to my Mercedes exploding.

God, I love this thing.

Anyhow, what do Y'all think? I'll keep you posted if I get any new patches, I'll let y'all know.

EDIT: I'm dead serious when I say this. If you give me a patch, I'll put it on.
oscarhilton
funky jacket!

You can really read your life like a book with it. Why patches though? And why did you pick the Right Cuffed patch to reprisent your 18th?

anyway Very cool biggrin.gif
Righteous
It just kinda happened that way. I bought the "I've Been Abducted" patch in the sixth grade before The Jacket and bought the "Generation X" patch shortly after The Jacket. The other patches came in random succession over the years, each with some significance or another, be it that the patch was given to me by someone, I bought it to commemorate something or I saw it and it reminded me of someone.

Honestly, I dont remember how the nautical star in the circle came to represent my eighteenth year. I think maybe just looking at it all the time while dwelling on what heppened that year made me associate the patch with said year.
oscarhilton
Mmmmmmm... interesting. have you got a patch for this year?
Righteous
My twentieth year hasn't been nearly as instrumental in my development as my eighteenth, Oscar. I want patches to commemorate some of my friends who've been there for me for so damn long, but I can't just "get" a patch. It has to come to me or strike me in some form or fasion.

Oh, and make it four people. I let my sister wear it, but she complained that it smells like cigarettes, so she took it off.
spiffilicious05
I like it, it's like a scrapbook -- only you can wear it.

which just makes it that much cooler
Righteous
What do you mean "only you can wear it"? You know damn well when we see each other again you'll probably wear it. Amber and Harmonie have abused that honor on multiple occasions (particularly Amber; she's in love with the thing).

It's funny. Because of the patches, I can't wash it, so I hose it down with Febreeze on a fairly regular basis. Amber "borrowed" it once and asked "When was the last time you washed it?" I answered, "Well, I got it when I was in the seventh grade, so never." She washed it for me and like four patches came off.
froggle-rock
You could sew the patches on?
Righteous
Even then, they come loose and, frankly, I don't want to spend time sewing the damn things back on. I'd rather just be safe than sorry.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 3 2005, 05:28 PM)
What do you mean "only you can wear it"?

She means that it is like a scrap book that you can wear which makes it better than a scrap book you can't.
Fallen Element
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jun 4 2005, 02:27 PM)
She means that it is like a scrap book that you can wear which makes it better than a scrap book you can't.

Cuz, y'know, strapping a scrapbook to your back would look silly. Not mention a tad uncomfortable! And btw, nice jacket and stunning picture Ri! [drunken rambling] I'm really impressed my typing is holding up! I like the idea of wearing your memories and the representaion of them through patches! I'm gunna go lie down somewhere safe now!

Fal xXx
Righteous
I was really bummed yesterday because I went to Kona (it's a legendary skate park; the oldest surviving skate park in the world) and they didn't have patches. Come on; it's frickin' Kona and I don't have a patch for it!
Wyvern
Impressive patches!

I have a similar scrap book it started as the traditional guiding camp blanket but then the patches sort of took over. Now there's a few that I'd probably have to censor if I went a Guiding again but its mine and it has history.

It always fascinates me that little scraps of cloth can hold so many memories.

When you eventually do get yourself over here, give me a couple of hours alone with 'the jacket' and no matter how viscious you are with it the jacket will come off before the patches ever do. tongue.gif
Righteous
Sounds like an idea, so long as you can sew up the cuffs, too and put another patch on.
Righteous
I have two new patches added on. One Mata sent me and another I got from my cousin, cousin-in-law, brother and his girlfriend. I was in Tragick gear and everything, but my digi cam is screwing up. Stay tuned.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jun 14 2005, 09:41 PM)
Impressive patches!

I have a similar scrap book it started as the traditional guiding camp blanket but then the patches sort of took over.  Now there's a few that I'd probably have to censor if I went a Guiding again but its mine and it has history.

It always fascinates me that little scraps of cloth can hold so many memories.

When you eventually do get yourself over here, give me a couple of hours alone with 'the jacket' and no matter how viscious you are with it the jacket will come off before the patches ever do. tongue.gif

Put the rivet gun down dear!

Hope you liked the patch Ri it took several of us to choose it! biggrin.gif
Righteous
I do. I adhered it to my jacket as soon as it came in the mail. I really dig it. Thanks.

Heh. When my dad saw the envelope, he opened it thinking it was mail from relatives in Scotland. He then asked himself, "Who's R-semicolon?" (Mata has the handwriting of an artist). He then told me that he also thought that it was something new in the UK that people do to mean "resident," but that would make no sense either.

I also got a new patch when I saw Mushroomhead. It's the same design as my new tat. I'll put up pics of both when I perform next.
Wyvern
QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 16 2005, 07:19 PM)
Sounds like an idea, so long as you can sew up the cuffs, too and put another patch on.

Consider it done! tongue.gif
Glad you liked the patch by the way, matazonians look highly suspiscious when clustered around a shop counter debating badge aesthetics...although Mata also gave us a quick juggling demo into the bargain.
Everytime I go in there now the staff look at me funny as if Im going to do something...I can't think why... dry.gif

Put the rivet gun down dear!

I wasn't thinking of that, but now you mention it....
Righteous
Okay, new pics!

This patch I got while on a shopping venture at Five Points (Jacksonville's equivalent to Camden) with my brother, his girlfreind, our cousin and his girlfriend. They all affectionately call me "Chubby."

This patch is what Mata, Cath, Wyvern and company got me. Most of my friends actually told me that it was a bad idea to put it there, but I like it.

This one my brother bought for me when we saw Mushroomhead, my favorite band ever. It goes well with my new tattoo.

And just so I can gloat without starting a new thread, here's my new Shure SM58 microphone which I and the vocalist from Chasing Melody used at our show (Shure is a top name in microphones; the SM58 is considered the industry standard as most major bands use it for lead vocals). With help from a friend of mine, I put on a nice silver cross similar to the one on my chest, so not only does it sound great, it looks bad-ass.

So yeah, those are the new additions. For fun, Dub from Chasing Melody yanked me onstage when they did two Cold songs and right before the last show, I gave it to him to wear. He was legitimately honored.

EDIT: I didn't realize how damn huge these pic are. I hope y'all have good connections.
JimiJimi
Bear in mind that SM58s will only sound cool if you use good quality XLR leads and have a decent PA.

Sorry, I'll shut up. Cool jacket, though.
Righteous
Well aware of this, I am, Jedi Knight. Nexus has good cords and a pro-grade PA sysyem (with a bitchen soundboard). Dub and I sounded great, as did the tool, er, drummer from Burning Regret who took it off of a nearby shelf and rigged it up to do backup vocals (except he sounded like a hoarse dog trying to sing punk).

My brother uses my mic on occasion (mostly without permission), however, he puts it up against the lead guitarist's amp and feeds it into his PA. If he wasn't my brother, I might be mad at him for it almost as much as I'm mad at that pudgy, frat boy-looking twat from Burning Regret.

My brother was actually upset when I got it because his Shure mic is on the lower end of the previous series. I gladly let him use mine, though, when he asks for permission, so it's not all bad.

Anyhow, thanks for the input and compliment, Jimi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.