Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightning
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
patback87
Ever since I was a little kid I have always tried to capture lightning on film, well Sunday I finally did. Here are a few that came out good, it took about 80 pictures to get like 10-15 good ones. Every time I took a picture there would be a huge lightning and I would miss it.

LoLo
Pretty cool there.
Mata
Nice job. The second one is especially dramatic, I'd like to see a big version of that if you've got one around.
patback87
Thanks, when I get home tonight I will upload the fullsize images of them, I just scale them down for the message boards so that people on dial-up don't have to wait forever for the thread to load.
Mata
Absolutely, I would have made them links myself if you'd posted the full-size versions on here, but I do really like these so it would be nice to see the big versions.
LoLo
I like them even better big, and the first one is my favorite.
gothictheysay
Very impressive. Nice job!
froggle-rock
I too like the second, it is quite beautiful.
patback87
Thank You for the compliments.
arachnidoc17
I really like the first one as well.

I have to ask, this will bug me forever, but did you take that first picture in Warrenville?
Quoth(The Raven)
Very nice shots. Thanks for sharing them...
patback87
No that picture is from good ol' Bradley, IL USA, haha, I love sharing my pictures, it's really my pleasure.
Cath Sparrow
I'm another Lightening bug I love watching it. The pictures are great the 2nd pic as Mata said is very dramatic espeacialy when you look at the bigger scale one. I was very luck on holiday last summer I went to Croatia last summer and in the first place we stayed on the last night we got to watch the most amasing Electrical storm pass from the montains over the appartment we were staying in and out to sea one of my friends even videoed it. It was stunning and then just to top it off as we were about to fly out of Venice (heading home we'd wandered round a fair amount before hand) we had to wait for another storm to pass over head before we took off and then after we'd taken off the piolet flew the plane round the Thunder head and you could see the lightening flashing inside it was absolutly stunning.
patback87
Sound awsome, when I was fly from Florida last year it was like that, really cool to see the storms from above.
patback87
I heard thunder in the distance, setup the camera in front of my window in my room, I got three good ones.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/pat...05/IMG_1261.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/pat...05/IMG_1264.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/pat...05/IMG_1270.jpg
voices_in_my_head
I think that the first one of that set is my favorite. I've always tried to take pictures of lightning, But I've never been fast enough.
patback87
The key is to put your camera into manual (if you can, most Digitals have it), well the one I use isn't full manual, but I can set the exposure and apeture, it'll go as long as 15 seconds. Anyway you set the f-stops to something like 8 or 11 and then do a 15 second or so exposure. The thing that always gets me is the camera will just finish the picture and the biggest lightning will happen, and I will miss by like a 1/10 of second.
Cath Sparrow
The first one of that set is stunning. You really managed to time it well and I think the rain on the window adds to it.
patback87
Thanks, that is my favorite one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.