Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soda? Pop? Fizzy juice?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
EvilSpork
So let's begin. Yesterday, I decided we were going to make root beer. 4 gallons of it. The recipe is from 1912, and I modified it a little bit... But we'll start at the beginning.

We got together our ingredients, a few of which we gathered from the yard.

Then we boiled them for a half hour to make an extremely potent 2 gallons of "tea"

Then it had to be strained into 2 gallons of cool water. to produce some root liquid, then we added 5 pounds of sugar and other ingredients that would have just boiled out.

(once that cooled yeast was added)

Then we bottled it to sit in a warm room for 6 hours!

Now, today... I present to you... Root beer.

I must tell you, it's the best darn root beer I've ever had!

(Also because of the yeast, you probably realize it has a bit of alcohol. Bad Spoony tongue.gif)
froggle-rock
Spoon, I'll have your alien babies if you gimme a bottle. I <3 root beer, but have only had either McDonald's (when they did it many moons ago) or Sanisbury's brand. Never home made. Mmmmm. Is it a secret recipe, or will you let us in on it? wink.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
*squints at the recipe in the picture*

- Something about compost
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 ounces sausages past sellbydate
- 2 ounces of sniper berets
- 1 ounce hops or ginger
- 1 ounce dandilions
- 2 ounce...

Try that Frog.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jun 10 2005, 07:37 PM)

- 5 pounds sugar
- 1 ounce hops or ginger
- 1 ounce dandilions
- 2 ounce...

Try that Frog.

I think you need glasses... or have the digestive tract of a wild goat... biggrin.gif
And you missed the primary ingrediant: Sassyfrass Root... from which you get the name, you know, Root beer?
vicrawr
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jun 10 2005, 07:37 PM)

- 5 pounds sugar
- 1 ounce hops or ginger
- 1 ounce dandilions
- 2 ounce...

Try that Frog.

- 1 [unit of measure] compressed yeast
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 ounces sassafras root
- 2 ounces juniper berries
- 1 ounce hops or ginger

I can't see the rest, though.
Moosh
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Jun 11 2005, 07:31 AM)
- 1 [unit of measure] compressed yeast
- 5 pounds sugar
- 2 ounces sassafras root
- 2 ounces juniper berries
- 1 ounce hops or ginger

I can't see the rest, though.

I get what you said and

- 1 ounce dandelions
EvilSpork
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Jun 10 2005, 11:03 PM)
I think you need glasses... or have the digestive tract of a wild goat... biggrin.gif
And you missed the primary ingrediant: Sassyfrass Root... from which you get the name, you know, Root beer?

You cannot buy Sassafras root. FDA outlawed the sale of it in the 60's because it is a carcinogen.

It's dandelion root in this one. (which you can see in the first picture as stick looking things)
Usurper MrTeapot
Ah wow I actually got it right.
EvilSpork
I didn't actually use that ingredients list exactly. I used it as a general guide.

My uncle approves, and he wants the recipe because he makes root beer and likes it. A lot.
arachnidoc17
You know, if you ever have some spare time/days off you could make this lucrative...

Just a thought.
zivane
i just go to the store and buy it... i like barq's root beer the best. we also have sasparilla and some other stuff, i don't recall what all we've got...
EvilSpork
Compared to this Barqs is absolute trash. This has some bite if that's what you like.
LoLo
That's darned amazing there Spoony, I want a bottle now too. lol

The best store bought has to be Henry Weinhards for those debating. Barq's is crap and they give it that "bite" by adding caffiene. Don't get me wrong I love caffiene, but it does add a bit of bitterness to things.
PsychWardMike
Indeed. We have some home brewers over here where I live (New Jersey) which make some pretty tasty stuff. Barqs isn't really that good.

However, I highly recommend Jones Soda. They make tasty everything and their root beer is no exception.

Not sure if its available overseas, though...
EvilSpork
Good think you mentioned NJ, Mike - This is an east coast style brew because its base is birch bark (Which I'm pretty sure I read was common in NJ).
arachnidoc17
There's a nice German restaraunt here in Downtown Chicago that makes their own root beer- it puts those name brands to shame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.