Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We Got an American n were not Afraid to use her!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Cath Sparrow
The idea of this thread came up cause I've just had a text from Snoo saying they were making Cand eat Million (very yummy sweets) and the thing is this Summer we've got to meets involving our friend's from over the pond the first one with Cand is coming up very soon. So my idea was to see if we can come up with some destinkty british things to make them do or try! The dragging down the pub is already covered seeing as that tends to be what a meet consists of. So come on see what evil schemes you can come up with! tongue.gif
Faerieryn
Sitting on a smelly beach in the pouring rain!!!!! And complaining about the weather
Jaq
Gleeerp!

How about.. doing something so extremely nice to them that they'll be taken by suprise like whoa!

That'll show them. Boy howdy.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Fish and chips? Jellied eel? winkles?

mmmm....

Oh! after we do the pub thing, we have to go out and start a fight we can easily win with a random little guy on his own....and vandalise something...yup, that's British...isn't it? tongue.gif
Faerieryn
OOOOooooohh!! Can't forget the epitomy of being british. Working stupidly long hours and not getting paid for them. Fancy doing some overtime for us Cand?
You deny me freshmaker?!
Iíve been unlucky enough to have a crazily religious American from the mid- west in my house as a lodger for several months now, and so can recommend the following:

1) Get them to eat Black puddin' then tell them what its made from.
2) Constantly correct their pronunciation of words
3) Inform them its Courgette not Zucchini, Aubergine not Egg plant and coriander not Cilantro (probably spelt wrong but I'm too lazy to check)
4) Try and get them to eat steak and kidney pudding/pie.
5) Teach them to que.

This would go on for several pages and include things about the spelling of colour so on but I realise that some of you have lives. Although there probably about as interesting as mine...

Freshmaker.
froggle-rock
Jaq and Cand -must- gor for a curry or balti! Oh, and mash and eels, fish and chips with mayonaise, kebab. Hmm, I'm sure veggies kebas exist, but I doubt you wil ever find onw *meep*.

A curry is a must though. And scones, all the foods that Americans and Canadians mis-name, that we have the real version of tongue.gif wink.gif hehehehe

Oh, in London, Tube Breeze. Must. Feel. Tube. Breeze.

Witing for a bus for an age, and then have three turn up at once.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
mooooooooooopo
We've already forced the following list of British things 'pon Candice so far:
Battered Pineapple
Smarties (the British kind, though the American kind are nice too)
Parma Violets
Proper Jaffa Cakes (McVities - there are 3rd party ones now *shudders*, she had Jacobs ones in Sacramento ohmy.gif )
Stilton
Chips with vinegar
Revels

All but Jaffa Cakes, Revels and Smarties were met with revulsion. sad.gif *pouts*

We haven't got around to making her try millions. yet >:)

Pat: Vegetarians don't eat fish either. tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (moop @ Jun 21 2005, 04:51 PM)
All but Jaffa Cakes ... and Smarties were met with revulsion. sad.gif *pouts*

*ahem* _My_ influence. Wheeee!

Lets see...I think I already exhausted the list when we were in London.
Wyvern
Hmm...I shall get plotting.

Cand is veggie? Ohhh so she cant avoid potato cakes then, well thats one thing on my list. tongue.gif
froggle-rock
- HOT POT!
dry.gif it just came to me >_>

- Cuppa cha?

And that pineapple wasn't battered, just been left in the fridge for some alone time for a while is all wink.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
ooh yeah... we fed her a cup of tea!
Cath Sparrow
Chips and cheese with tomato sauce after the pub! Got to be stolen from one of the lads though! tongue.gif
Have you made her try Earl Grey tea yet? Oooo! We could see if we can fit afternoon tea in before the pub! biggrin.gif
LoLo
Tie her naked to a tree!

I do realize this isn't like some English thing to do, but it's just fun to tie people naked to trees. laugh.gif jk
believe
....I'm afraid to visit now. blink.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (believe @ Jun 24 2005, 10:25 AM)
....I'm afraid to visit now.  blink.gif

sad.gif *puts his jar back in with the others*
Jonman
Oooh, oooh!

Me and the missus found
RED FLAVOURED Jaffa Cakes. With a smashing reddy-bit. They're amazing. Truly.
Usurper MrTeapot
0.o? Red...flavoured? I must have.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jun 24 2005, 11:53 AM)
Oooh, oooh!

Me and the missus found

You MUST give us the information on the Red Jaffa cakes!!!
Cath Sparrow
Ooooo! I got one make her stand in a que in the rain can't get more british than that.
Snugglebum the Destroyer

YAY - I found those too. They're berry flavoured and limited addition so I urge everyone to buy them in cart loads so that the makers realise they're really popular and turn them into a regular product.

They are the business. biggrin.gif
Phyllis
I didn't like the berry flavoured jaffa cakes...orange ones are better!

They sounded really nice in theory, but the berry bit just didn't taste quite right to me.

Also...Jonman! I saw a bag of beef jerky in the supermarket the third day I was here. ohmy.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (candice @ Jun 24 2005, 01:22 PM)
Also...Jonman!  I saw a bag of beef jerky in the supermarket the third day I was here.  ohmy.gif

But did you look at the price on it? tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
(this is cand cause I cba to log in as myself)

Nope, didn't look at the price. I wasn't particularly interested in it, considering the fact that not only am I vegetarian, but even if I wasn't....it was peppered jerky, which is icky.
Faerieryn
Hmm a plan. Was thinking of making her stand in the tattoo parlour whilst I decide what to get when in Notts but I may chicken out. Very British to watch friends go through pain and then laugh!
Cath Sparrow
It true you know! Sps can vouch for it. biggrin.gif
Faerieryn
Well we have a tradtition that someone get permenantly scarred at every major meet soo it must be continued
Smiler
QUOTE (candice @ Jun 24 2005, 02:22 PM)
I saw a bag of beef jerky in the supermarket the third day I was here.† ohmy.gif

Jerky isnt British. Is it? I've always considered it more Caribbean and African. Dry cured meat.
Nooooo British meat is complaining that the steak is too rare, then, when its come back well done (the best way for a steak mind--> cooked) complaining that its burnt!

Oo Oo and how about getting an elephant leg cuisine after getting mullered down the booza? Or 'avin a ruby murry? Or is that to locally Londonish?

In culmination why not stand in que, in the rain, waiting to get to the pub WHILE complaining about something (anything'll do we Brits dont really care) while simultaneously (!) drinking tea from a themos, pronouncing words correctly and adding 'U's to words that have had them unceremoniously dropped.

Sorry, am I ranting? SORRY wink.gif ph34r.gif
believe
I bet a um, harmless picnic at a pretty park would be very British. And um, showing her neat sights that don't involve things like marmite. >.>
Jonman
QUOTE (Smiler @ Jun 28 2005, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (candice @ Jun 24 2005, 02:22 PM)
I saw a bag of beef jerky in the supermarket the third day I was here.† ohmy.gif

Jerky isnt British. Is it? I've always considered it more Caribbean and African. Dry cured meat.

No, it's not British - I think that various types of dried and salted meat were common all over the world through history (Romans, Aboriginal Australians, South African (biltong) and Native Americans (pemmican)and even the Inca (who had llama jerky) to name but 4 geographically diverse meat-fan-cultures). It's pretty frickin' international.

And bloody pricey in this country too...
Phyllis
I was just commenting on the jerky because I thought from the way Jonman talked about it that it wasn't readily available here. I know it's not British. tongue.gif
Jonman
It's fair to say that I've not seen any O-Boy Oberto jerky here.

It's the mac-daddy of jerky. All of the brands of jerky I've tried here have failed to live up to it.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Biltong>Jerky

That is all.
LoLo
The best beef jerky is made by the Omish in Intercourse PA. I know it sounds funny, but I'm not kidding.

/end spam
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (believe @ Jun 28 2005, 01:39 PM)
I bet a um, harmless picnic at a pretty park would be very British. And um, showing her neat sights that don't involve things like marmite.  >.>

Nah! A tipical british picnic would involve wasp and other bugs, tornchal rain, no coats and the car a mile away. Oh and all the food looking warm and pathetic
and limp.
monkey_called_narth
*glares at the large bag of deer jerky her brother had made from one of his hunting trips, and is taking up half of the fridge*

jonman... could i intrest you in all natural deer jerky.... like... 8 pounds of it smile.gif

/end spam
froggle-rock
I kinda took Cand on a picnic, with overcast weather, but there was only pinapple and kiwi to eat. No Pimms.
Faerieryn
Beach picnic with sand in sandwiches (and everything else)
Wyvern
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jun 28 2005, 02:49 PM)
Biltong>Jerky

That is all.

Going to contradict you there m'dearest SPS Biltong is not same as Jerky by any stretch tongue.gif and so its not entirely spam.

Cand must be coerced into eggy bread...umm thats if cands eat eggs. blink.gif
EvilSpork
I have the answer.

Look, I'm linking to Matazone from Matazone!
Moosh
That'd be brilliant! But not technically a typically British thing to do
Smiler
I disagree- Brilliant but flawed- Its perfectly British...we can complain how itgs not quite right but do it anyway wink.gif
Wyvern
Ohhh! Take it too the castle were I work, just dont let them see me and then I get all the inside rumours for weeks to keep us entertained until the next daft scheme.
gothictheysay
So Candice and Ste and Snoo sent me a package biggrin.gif

British smarties are REALLY REALLY addicting. x_X

The Jaffa cakes are all right, I'm not all that fond of them (think I may have disappointed MrTeapot there)

Candice misses her ranch dressing, so I'm going to look for packets to send her. hehe.
Wyvern
I thought I'd tag this post in here as we did have a slight thing for red jaffa cakes.

I found BLACK CURRANT and LEMON AND LIME Jaffa cakes!!!!

just wanted to say I have a pack of each and they're scrummy, still a traditionalist I like the orange but these are still pretty impressive!
Kitty
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jun 28 2005, 10:48 AM)
It's fair to say that I've not seen any O-Boy Oberto jerky here.

It's the mac-daddy of jerky. All of the brands of jerky I've tried here have failed to live up to it.

Not anymore! The past few packages I've had over the past couple of years were no where as good as it use to be. Its alot softer now and not quite as shoe-leather-y. Which is how I like my jerky, to be shoe leather-y. Cuz its fun that way.
Phyllis
I've heard about the blackcurrant and lemon-lime jaffa cakes.

I didn't like the red ones. They were such a disappointment. I expected them to be delicious, since most things that are berry flavored are, but no.

I don't much care for blackcurrant flavored stuff. It was okay, but not my favorite thing in the world.

I think the sweet food type thing that I miss most about the UK is the chocolate. Oh, the chocolate. Which is odd, because I've never been a huge fan of chocolate. But more than that...I miss the cheese.
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 8 2006, 01:03 PM)
I've heard about the blackcurrant and lemon-lime jaffa cakes.

I didn't like the red ones.  They were such a disappointment.  I expected them to be delicious, since most things that are berry flavored are, but no.

I don't much care for blackcurrant flavored stuff.  It was okay, but not my favorite thing in the world.

I think the sweet food type thing that I miss most about the UK is the chocolate.  Oh, the chocolate.  Which is odd, because I've never been a huge fan of chocolate.  But more than that...I miss the cheese.

Man...I don't know whether or not I should have the cheese when I'm there. I'm a huge fan of cheddar, and I don't want to have to go into withdrawl when I get back here blink.gif
pgrmdave
Not only should you have the cheese, you should bring back some wonderful chedder for me smile.gif
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Mar 26 2006, 10:31 PM)
Not only should you have the cheese, you should bring back some wonderful chedder for me smile.gif

And as I walk through customs, men in angry-looking uniforms chase me down yelling, "Oi! You with the cheese!" tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.