Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fireworks
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
patback87
Well it's that time of year again, where blown off fingers are common, here are some pictures I got of the Bourbonnais Friendship Festival fireworks. This was my first time trying to capture this so I didn't get everything I wanted. Also personally I like Bradley and Beecher's fireworks better than these ones, but oh well, and of course I like Chicago's over both of those, but they are a big city so they should have good fireworks.

Although those town names mean nothing to you, haha, but I was in the parade for the Friendship Festival, and it was hot it was 97 degrees not counting the heat index, I was in the sun from 10:00AM to 4:00PM, and now my face is burned to a crisp.
Greeneyes
Wow. Nice shots. All my attempts to capture firework shots just turn up blank or horribly blurred. Particularly like the first two.
patback87
I was laughing because I missed several big ones and that was all I really wanted to get I had pictures of all the other ones.
arachnidoc17
I think I have some pictures of some fireworks around here... Maybe I'll scan 'em.

EDIT: It's gonna be July 4th soon, maybe I'll bring my camcorder with to the fireworks show.

DOUBLE EDIT: My 969th post! It's an anomaly!
depressed lonely crazy person
What is special about july 4th??????
voices_in_my_head
It's a special day where even extremly non-patriotic people go outside, watch firworks, wear red, white, and blue, and eat barbeque.

(Also known as Independence Day smile.gif )
patback87
It is explained well in "Dazed and Confused", when they leave class the teacher tells them remeber what you are celebrating this year, that 200 years ago, a bunch of white aristcratic males who didn't want to pay taxes.

If you have ever seen dazed and confused, then you know what I'm talking about.
voices_in_my_head
Hey, I'm going to a fireworks show tonight, and I want to try out my camrea...

So, got any tips on how I could get pictures of the fireworks instead of a blank sky?
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jul 4 2005, 03:59 PM)
Hey, I'm going to a fireworks show tonight, and I want to try out my camrea...

So, got any tips on how I could get pictures of the fireworks instead of  a blank sky?

Take the pictures after the fireworks blow up. smile.gif
voices_in_my_head
I'd have never thought of that! rolleyes.gif
elphaba2
If you're using a digital camera with even a bit of delay, try hitting the shutter as you see the rocket near the peak of its arc, right before the bloom in the sky. Otherwise you will get a gorgeous shot of the ashes and (perhaps) a weak spark or two.
arachnidoc17
I shot a twenty-two minute film of fireworks, I have a film-editing program on my compy, all I need is an IEEE.
patback87
Those are really cool, what camera is it, I used my new one, I took about 3 rolls of pictures this weekend of fireworks I still have one I just dropped off to be processed, I just need to scan the others, that camera is already getting me in trouble haha. Refer to June, 1 entry it explains it, its a long story, basically I got the cops called on me for taking a picture of the sunset on a porch of an abandon building.

Anyway here are a few of mine I got the other day

Full Size

Full Size
If you look closely at these two you can see the town north of mine's fireworks, its in the bottom right corner.

Full Size

Full Size
voices_in_my_head
Taken before the fireworks show:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/spi...es/PICT0005.jpg
and just because it was on my camera when I uploaded the pictures:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/spi...es/PICT0039.jpg

Like I said, the camera Iím using isnít very fancy. We got it from walmart for $75!
http://www.electronicpalace.com/yhst-66252...vivi37dica.html
Greeneyes
They're some nice shots, Voices.

Going on the varying sizes of the pictures: you didn't happen to use digital zoom did you?
voices_in_my_head
On most of them, yes. On some, (like the one of the hollyhock) I just set it to 'closeup'.
voices_in_my_head
Judging from the pictures, that fireworks show was ten times better than the one I went to.

Your photobucket is saying that the password isn't right, though.
I_am_the_best
Wow. All three peoples collections are great. I'm particularly impressed by the bottom right hand corner of the fourth of CMs collection. Looks like something from a harmonograph. I've never tried to photograph fireworks before. It'll probably be a couple of years before I get to see my next show so these are a nice reminder.
Moosh
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jul 11 2005, 08:06 PM)
Wow. All three peoples collections are great. I'm particularly impressed by the bottom right hand corner of the fourth of CMs collection. Looks like something from a harmonograph. I've never tried to photograph fireworks before. It'll probably be a couple of years before I get to see my next show so these are a nice reminder.

Cheers, the effects in mine were created by a combination of bad photography, a bad camera and the camera battery running low. But they came out quite well I thought.

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jul 11 2005, 06:38 PM)
Judging from the pictures, that fireworks show was ten times better than the one I went to.

Your photobucket is saying that the password isn't right, though.

They are appearently really famous fireworks over the castle in Heidelberg. Made better by being on a natural high and freaking out all the German people by pixie-dancing and singing really loudly, then doing a countdown and opening champagne at midnight for no appearent reason.

The password works for me, are you sure you're spelling it right?
voices_in_my_head
I copy/pasted it from your post, so unless you arn't spelling in right, then no.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jul 10 2005, 05:18 PM)
On most of them, yes. On some, (like the one of the hollyhock) I just set it to 'closeup'.

Just something you might want to bear in mind. I'm not sure if you're aware what digital zoom is, but in case you're not, I'll just explain why it does nothing to improve the pictures. Optical zoom uses lenses to distort the light. Using this, you actually get a picture on a smaller area, but of the same size and resolution. Digital zoom is not so much 'zoom' in the sense optical zoom is, but more of a crop and resize. What it does is just enlarge the area you are 'zooming in' on, to the size of a full image, but it cannot maintain the resolution. In short, it does nothing that cannot be acomplished by cropping and resizing on a computer. I generally avoid it for this reason. In my opinion, it's better to get a full shot, then crop it on a computer if need be than to do it while shooting, and not have the choice later.

Of course, you're perfectly entitled to do so. On higher resolution cameras it can be useful as there isn't a visible effect on quality. Just thought you might appreciate the input. smile.gif

Edit: Nice shots CheeseMoose, though I also seem to be having difficulty getting into your Photobucket.
Moosh
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jul 17 2005, 05:22 PM)
Edit: Nice shots CheeseMoose, though I also seem to be having difficulty getting into your Photobucket.

Thanks Greeneyes.

Now I can't get in either, on read-only or on the proper password. Oh dear
voices_in_my_head
Strange...it's letting me in now...

Greeneyes- sad.gif My camera doesn't have optical zoom! Oh well, I'll just keep what you said in mind for whenever I get a better camera. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.