Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting oneself committed....
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Aria
Does anyone have any info on how it works in Canada? I'm having trouble finding stuff.

Need to know if you can get yourself committed, and out again, or if you need doc's permission to get out.

... Yeah. Aria's not so mentally stable right now.
zivane
Hmm, I know if you sign yourself in, you can sign yourself out unless they deem you unsuit to be your own guardian here in the States... maybe seeing a shrink instead of considering commited? That can be really long term although they will discharge you if you can manage living on your own. Generally, they don't tend to keep you unless it's for an overnight or a few days' watch... mostly for suicide or diagnosis though. I don't know of any numbers that could help you... but, being commited is generally if things are getting so bad that you can't function at all (can't leave your house, can't make appointments, can't get anywhere due to paranoia or fear, aren't taking of yourself properly in terms of hygeine and/or nurishment). You should probably see a psychiatrist first... try a help line or even go to an ER if you're horribly worried. They would at least be able to answer some of your questions a lot better.
Aria
I'm seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist. For a while. Doesn't seem to be working too well. I'm at the point where I can only function on a very basic level.
zivane
You may want to either talk to the psychiatrist about it in the very near future (as in calling her tomorrow or tonight saying emergency if you're that worried), calling a help line, or try asking at a hospital. It can take awhile to find a psychologist or psychiatrist that "clicks" with you. I don't know too much about your situation but that's what I suggest.

But, whatever you decide or your course of action or non-action, you've got people who care and support you. ^.^
Aria
QUOTE (zivane @ Jul 4 2005, 04:11 AM)
You may want to either talk to the psychiatrist about it in the very near future (as in calling her tomorrow or tonight saying emergency if you're that worried), calling a help line, or try asking at a hospital. It can take awhile to find a psychologist or psychiatrist that "clicks" with you. I don't know too much about your situation but that's what I suggest.

But, whatever you decide or your course of action or non-action, you've got people who care and support you. ^.^

Well, I've got my appointment with my psychiatrist on wednesday. She's very good-- I just seem to have periods of time where I utterly degenerate, and cannot function. I can go through the motions of everyday life, but my mind just doesn't engage. It's like my mind is in this bubble, and nothing's real. I can't think, I have trouble forming coherent sentences....

But yeah. Hopefully I'll have things figured out on wednesday. I hope.

And thanks, you've been really helpful. smile.gif
Ashbless
Healthlink (in Alberta) has a 24 hour nurse that you can ask questions.
Kids Help Phone. Sorry, check for number in phone book, may not apply but may have numbers of someone who does that you could ask.
Could also try the gov't web site. www.hc-sc.gc.ca

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

I really hope things improve.
gothictheysay
*hugs*

Don't really know anything about Canadian laws, but just wanted to give you some support. It's a good thing to realize when you really, really need help. Best of luck. <3
Aria
Well, good news. I'm not committed-- I've got new meds, and a medically recommended vacation. So things are looking up. I've just got my fingers crossed that this helps.

Thanks for the support, guys. Really means a lot. smile.gif
zivane
Vacation rocks! If you don't get bored though. Good movies, loads of vegging out, shopping, pampering, and the works. ^.^ Have fuuuuuuuun!!!
Aria
QUOTE (zivane @ Jul 9 2005, 06:09 AM)
Vacation rocks! If you don't get bored though. Good movies, loads of vegging out, shopping, pampering, and the works. ^.^ Have fuuuuuuuun!!!

I plan to! If I can ever get time off from my work... mad.gif
Astarael
Good luck with getting time off and your new meds working. Remember, people are here to talk whenever you're feeling bad. *hugs* Hope you feel loads better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.