Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JuJitsu
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
There are weapon forms in Wing Chun, but, like the unarmed forms, they are generally very short and not very pretty, just efficient. The 'six and a half point pole form' can be performed in a few seconds!

I've seen the butterfly knives form, and that's a bit more interesting to watch, but not much. Wing Chun certainly isn't in the same class as Wu Shu when it comes to creating nice flashy moves.

I've always liked the sound of Shin Jitsu (I think that's spelt correctly) which is a very pretty sword form, but you have to have done Aikido for years before anyone will teach you it.
I_am_the_best
I haven't really done much to do with the martial arts but I'm hoping to try out some Krav Maga this September which ought to be a laugh. I've got a friend who does a lot of Tai Kon Do (sp?). she was showing me her exam pieces. It's very pleasing to watch.
Mata
Some of the more dramatic forms are very pretty to watch. I'm not sure how good Tai Kwon Do is as an actual system for self-defence, but as a sport, exercise, and as a form of dance it's great.
artist.unknown
Some of the more dramatic forms are very pretty to watch. I'm not sure how good Tai Kwon Do is as an actual system for self-defence, but as a sport, exercise, and as a form of dance it's great.

Not sure how good? I...it's...okay right, it's a bit crap. Most of what I've built up to has been flying spinning sort of kicks, which are a rush but completely useless outside of class. Happkido is a school of TKD, however, that is generally taught to black belts and is entirely composed of brief defensive strikes and throws which use the attacker's bulk and momentum against them.
How did you get on with the Bo? I can't handle the buggers meself, I'm too short I think.

I like nunchucka better. Our dojang's small and it's a pain to have eight people all waving bos around the same cramped space; I haven't gotten the feel for judging distances and it makes me neurotic. I also borrowed Mike's bo and it's about as heavy as I am. Heh.
Overfriendly_Kitten
I used to do Aikido, Muyai Thai Kickboxing, Aitemi, Kendo, Iaido and I had a go at Kyudo...

I found I had to study Aikido for about 6 years before I got any where near proficient enough to defend myself in a serious fight (of which I've unfortunately had a few). Myuai Thai is much easier to get to grips with the basics. Having a combination of two such dynamic styles in both internal and external martial arts helps me a great deal - with various responses that can be modulated to keep any attacker wrong footed and guessing. Though there are only a handful of freestyle competitions on in the UK that I know about...

Kendo and Iado were great but way too difficult for me to keep up with - especially with my regular workload. Kydo was fun but impossible
Mata
I've not heard of Kydo before, what sort of style is that? Where's it from?

AU, I wasn't suggesting that TKD would be rubbish in a fight, I was really saying that I genuinely didn't know how good it would be! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.