Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mapping Matazone!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Wyvern @ Aug 15 2005, 08:12 PM)
HELP!!!

Can anyone out there provide me with a basic Binary key something which will allow me to convert passages of text into Binary code? Im not overly concerned with full technical applications I just need a chart that I can use to convert characters and keystrokes if this is indeed possible?
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as wading through computer programming books and mathematical calculations Im probably going right past what I need. ph34r.gif

Simple answer:
http://nickciske.com/tools/binary.php

Less simple answer:
Binary is really pretty simple.

People normally use decimal since we have 10 fingers. In decimal the right most digit has a value of 1, the digit to the left of it has a value of 10 times as much (10) and so on (100, 1000, 10000).
So in decimal the number 145 is 1 lot of 100, 4 lots of 10 and 5 lots of 1.
(obviously the digits we use are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 - 0 counts as a digit so there is no 10, that's 2 digits tongue.gif lots of people seem to get confused by that).

Binary is basically the same except with 2 digits (0 and 1). Like in decimal the right most digit has a value of 1 but this time we multiply by 2 instead of 10 as we go left (this number is the base, decimal is base 10, binary is base 2, there are others in between and more above 10 using letters once we run out of digits).
So 145 in binary would be 10010001 - 1 lot of 128, 0 lots of 64, 0 lots of 32, 1 lot of 16, 0 lots of 8, 0 lots of 4, 0 lots of 2 and 1 lot of 1. Obviously it's slightly harder to work out, which is why I posted the converter, but useful for computers since a wire can have 1 of 2 states - on or off (on = 1, off = 0).

As for converting text to binary, this is done by assgning a number to each letter, character and symbol and converting that letter into binary. By far the most common system for doing this is ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) and it also happens to the one that convertor uses. ASCII uses 256 (0 to 255) codes so each letter uses 8 binary digits (a byte). Well, actually extended ASCII uses 0 - 255, the original version used 0 - 127 and used the spare digit for error correction back when communication between computers was less reliable.

A table of ASCII codes is here:
http://www.lookuptables.com/

Some useless stuff for completeness (maybe I just like the sound of my own e-voice):
1 binary digit = a bit
4 binary digits = a nibble (cool word biggrin.gif)
8 binary digits = a byte

Other bases that are commonly used:
Unary (base 1) , weird because each digit has the same value (1 x 1 = 1). Decoding is as simple as counting the 1s. 15(decimal) = 111111111111111(unary).
Octal (base 8). 15(decimal) = 21(octal).
Binary (base 2). 15(decimal) = 1111(binary).
Hexadecimal (base 16), useful because 2 hexadecimal digits are equivalent to a byte in binary, it tends to be used instead of binary in programming. This is the nifty looking one that uses the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f. 15(decimal) = f0(hex).

Sorry if there are loads of glaring ommisions - this is all of the top of my head.

Have fun.
CommieBastard
Incidentally, binary allows you to count up to several thousands using only your fingers.
Wyvern
Ahh thankyou very much indeed.
Worryingly I understand alot more of that than I would have even a week ago...I know scarey isn't it. tongue.gif

Well I shall now trundle my way through all of this and report once again when there is progress. Hopefully at some point it will be visual updates, as opposed to many, many words trying to explain an abstract concept that keeps resisting all attempts to pin down properly...perhaps I should try nails.

*wanders off to find hammer and some nice sturdy six inch stainless steel nails*
Greeneyes
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 15 2005, 07:43 PM)
Incidentally, binary allows you to count up to several thousands using only your fingers.

Several thousand? I'd be interested in your method, as I can only get up to 1023 tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
Interesting genetics or taking the definition of several to be 'more than one', which is technically correct if you don't round it.
silvermoon
Interesting genetics or taking the definition of several to be 'more than one', which is technically correct if you don't round it.

Or if you use your toes as well.
Daria
"I am the walruss coo coo ka choo"
//Blatant spam biggrin.gif
Moosh
It's clearly, 'I am the Walrus, goo goo gajoob'

/in this thread, what is spam?
Cath Sparrow
Well that would have been spam except you've lead it into a conversation which means it's now a thread of conversation to follow rather than a blob in the middle of no where so it'll now work better into the concept. (I think....)
Daria
dry.gif Damn, my plan was foiled...

//
uninspired pizza guy
So when do we get to see the results of this experiment?
As for my details, Im 18, from Mount Gambier, South Australia. Hope to see the results soon.
Wyvern
QUOTE (uninspired pizza guy @ Sep 2 2005, 08:23 AM)
So when do we get to see the results of this experiment?
As for my details, Im 18, from Mount Gambier, South Australia. Hope to see the results soon.

Superb another Australian the spread of this is proving quite fascinating! biggrin.gif

Well its taking alot to transfer this into basic visuals but it shouldn't be too long. Although the scanner is still playing dead I purchased today that most nifty of devices...a digital camera.
So soon, hopefully very soon there will be things to see, or at least things showing progress so far..first I have to work out how the dear little thing works. tongue.gif

One question does anyone know somewhere were I can get a map of the world about 6ft long/wide depending on orientation? Im working within a very tight budget and so far all the ones I've found are of the large and expensive variety. With a bit of saving I can get a really good one but it means putting some of my ideas on hold and I'd rather keep things moving. ph34r.gif
Daria
You could get a small map, and by the power of deduction (and a good ruler and pencil) you could scale it up!
mooooooooooopo
There's a nifty lever system you can make with a few bits of wood that you can use to trace one drawing and make a pen attached to the other end draw an enlarged version. I'm struggling to remember how it worked/find info on google though. >_<
Wyvern
Unfortunately this would only help me to a certain extent as it is the amount of detail, place names and the like that I require which I cannot obtain purely through scaling up something smaller.
Scaling up has already been useful in previous projects Im just not convinced of its viability in a project of this magnitude. Even if I choose to reduce the amount of detail I would prefer to start this one from a point containing as much information as I can so that Im not excluding possibilities.
Thank you for the suggestion though, it is certainly enough to set the little mental cogs a whirring again. tongue.gif

Ok then my next question for you all...
What colours/ textures spring to mind when you think of the internet?

The reasoning behind this question should become apparent as things progress, as before thank you for your patience and support.

By the way thanks moop, I have one of those nifty devices and I love it!!! Except when I have to fight to get the small slipper impersonating canines of mine off the middle of my paper. I don't know what its called either:P
voices_in_my_head
...Well, I always think of (I'm pretty sure this is the right name) Circut boards.

Just as an Idea, as I'm sure it would take alot of time to copy exactly - if your just doing the experiment here, why don't you make it look like the fourms, or the main page of Matazone? (I'm not quite sure what texture that would be, though.)
Wyvern
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Sep 3 2005, 06:58 PM)
...Well, I always think of (I'm pretty sure this is the right name) Circut boards.

Just as an Idea, as I'm sure it would take alot of time to copy exactly - if your just doing the experiment here, why don't you make it look like the fourms, or the main page of Matazone? (I'm not quite sure what texture that would be, though.)

Ooh interesting concept. Somehow I see matazone being sleek on first impression but evermore convoluted and layered the more you look at it.
Daria
That would be so cool... To have a circuit board map of the world...

I think of lots of different colours, but it depends on what I am doing- i.e blue for music, yellow for artwork etc etc.

Mainly grey though, but that wouldn't be very interesting...
mooooooooooopo
Rusty metal framework. Continent shaped chunks of circuit board screwed on. Links represented as tracks on the circuit board or wire spanning continents.

As awesome as that would look it would probably be a nightmare to make/modify and copper clad board and etching equipment are stupidly expensive afaik.
pgrmdave
I think of Tron when I try to picture the internet...
JimiJimi
Tron!

I mainly think of blue, though, because I'm on Matazone most of the time. Otherwise, it's just stereotypical green binary numbers in a sort of MS-DOS font on a black background, all different sizes; appearing and disappearing and growing etc.
Wyvern
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 4 2005, 01:00 PM)
Rusty metal framework. Continent shaped chunks of circuit board screwed on. Links represented as tracks on the circuit board or wire spanning continents.

As awesome as that would look it would probably be a nightmare to make/modify and copper clad board and etching equipment are stupidly expensive afaik.

Ohh, thats similar to something Im already toying with and there are ways around the expense aspect.
Excuse me while I hi-jack a few of these ideas and hurl them into the melting pot that is this project. tongue.gif
I think of Tron when I try to picture the internet...

Hehe that one goes without saying.
Astarael
This is an interesting thread. I don't come into Daily Life much, so I've just noticed this. I'm 16 and I live in Georgia. I picture a glowing spiderweb that gets more complex all the time and floats a bit above the earth, connecting somputers everywhere, when I think of the Internet. I'm an odd person, but the spiderweb imagery seems to work.
pgrmdave
How has the project come?
Usurper MrTeapot
MrTeapot, 18, SE London.

I really wanted to post the first time round but since I didn't understand I decided best to leave alone. Now I've had it explained to me in person I'm slightly more sure my soul will remain in tact.

As for the colour of the internet I would say the pastey white which is the main page for Matazone, as it is my homepage.

(sorry Wyvern, I realised I wasn't in it so I had to post)
Cath Sparrow
Now you've done it you've broken her head again! She's only just almost managed to put it together again! tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
*points at pgrmdave*
MrRandomQuotes
Well first I'm 18 and from Ashtead. Bet none of you know where that is but i barely know where london is. Somewhere north maybe.

As for the colour of the net i guess i picture something like a spiderweb with no fixed middle going off in all directions made of light of sort of pastel primarys. with dark bits around the place and more light where you get things like big servers.

smile.gif
Mutilation
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 15 2005, 07:43 PM)

Oh! You pretty things!

Anyway, to add to the thread, I'm Mutilation also from Leicester. But my age is the greatest secret of Matazone* ohmy.gif

*Except where Mata gets the ideas for his animations from.
Izzy
blink.gif I'm very confused. When you say your going to map the internet...what exactly do you mean? Like a map that people use when they're sailing\flying from one place or another or...something else? Are you going to like..take the names of websites, and like figure a way they're connected..or like connect them? Sooo very confused....

Devils_Daughter
Age 11

p.s. why do you need our info. anyway?
bryden42
you are more than wlecome to use my details, I live in neath in south wales
I'm 29 by the way.
Real name is carl bryden smile.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 11 2006, 09:19 PM)
blink.gif I'm very confused. When you say your going to map the internet...what exactly do you mean? Like a map that people use when they're sailing\flying from one place or another or...something else? Are you going to like..take the names of websites, and like figure a way they're connected..or like connect them? Sooo very confused....

Devils_Daughter
Age 11

p.s. why do you need our info. anyway?

The basic concept is bases on something like a road map but who can tell where Wyvern will take it from there it is art after all not something to navitate with. She needs your info because that is the points she's plotting.
Faerieryn
All I can say is it wasn't me!!!!!!
pgrmdave
QUOTE (Wyvern)
This project only stops when the thread dies, it may be after 2 posts or 200

...eep...sorry - I forgot about that little bit...
trunks_girl26
Well, it's not up to 200 posts yet....though I'm sure Wyv will be rather busy now >.>

Anyway, I haven't done this either, so:

Ange
Newton, NJ
20 (oh dear, I feel oldish all of a sudden)
Feyliya
I've already posted this once, but I'll post it again just to make Wyv's head go pop. tongue.gif

Christie S. (AKA: Feyliya)
Seattle, Washington
20 (I feel so old, too....)
and the last webpage I visited before Matazone was House of LSD.

I can't wait to see what the mapping project looks like!
michael1384
michael1384
Izzy
So were we supposed to put username or RL name?

User: Devils_Daughter (obviously)
RL: Isabelle (preferably Izzy!)
Wyvern
I'm not broken....as such...well maybe a little...possibly.... wacko.gif

I have to admit everything went on hold for a while because of work and prepping for an exhibitionwhich was pretty much a wasted effort but to not prepare would have been stupid. An exhibition is an exhibition after all.

I'd just got to a point with researching to start converting all my results into a more visual form and had begun to tease my ideas into something more appealing when this happened. tongue.gif
Evil that's what you lot are complete and utter EVIL!!!!

Thank you though it has kick started me again as I know if I don't get everything ready for stage two I'm going to drown under the backlog, I like it though, I like a challenge. After talking to people at the Liverpool meet about my progress and where I want to take it I came away with some quite interesting new thoughts. I've abandoned some of my initial attempts to lay out the information and developed some new ones which are starting to look interesting.

Eeee....you lot are amazing keep me rolling. As soon as I have something substantial beyond pages and pages of scrawled notation I shall post images for you to ponder and analyse and shred before throwing new stuff back out in the way you seem to do oh so well.... laugh.gif

Oh yes and once again Thank you all for your details and permissions I shall endeavour to add them into the project as soon as possible.

Now I'm going to print all this off and continue processing... ph34r.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
*phew*

The wrath of the small one didn't leave as many bite marks as I thought it would.
Wyvern
Who said I'd actually unleashed my wrath yet Mr Teapot sir?!
Just because you are of viking persuasion doesn't mean I cannot slowly cultivate my revenge over a period of time before pouncing when you are all innocent and unsuspecting. evil.gif
Izzy
An idea popped into mind. I don't know if it's been said yet, and I don't feel like reading the whole thread to find out...but you could name a bunch of websites, find out where they're hosted, and like, uhm..make a map type thing out of it.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 06:56 PM) *
An idea popped into mind. I don't know if it's been said yet, and I don't feel like reading the whole thread to find out...but you could name a bunch of websites, find out where they're hosted, and like, uhm..make a map type thing out of it.

Izzy, we would strongly reccomend that you read the initial post Wyvern made in this thread. It could be argued that your obvious arrogance at thinking you can make suggestions to something you can't even be bothered to find out about might not go down too well?

Froggie & CM
Izzy
Froggie & CM I have already read the initial post. what I meant by "and I don't feel like reading the whole thread to find out" was reading every single post. It's true that I didn't reread Wyvern's post before I said it, but I don't think it makes me "arrogant".
Usurper MrTeapot
In that case I'm going to dismiss the idea as not very helpful.
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Apr 23 2006, 03:24 PM) *
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 06:56 PM) *

Izzy, we would strongly reccomend that you read the initial post Wyvern made in this thread. It could be argued that your obvious arrogance at thinking you can make suggestions to something you can't even be bothered to find out about might not go down too well?

Froggie & CM

nownow, I don't think it was arrogance so much as she was actually attempting to help. And if Wyv is offended by it, I'm sure she'd be kind enough to say so once she reads it.
Wyvern
No offence taken at all! Any input is good m'dears. Sorry I've not replied sooner not able to get online much recently. sad.gif
It is a long thread and I don't reckon reading it all the way through would be everyones cup of whatever although there some preety interesting/colourful/fun bits.

Thankyou all for being so patient but now the days are shorter things should start rolling again properly as I can get away from my family and head outside to work on the beastie! I warn you it will be painfully slow for a while as some of you may be aware I am job hunting and home hunting and generally creating chaos in my life but I have plans for this project and I'm loving the results.
Cath Sparrow
You Chaos never you never do chaos! tongue.gif
EvilSpork
I bought a 'Jesus Christ Superstar' shirt today.

That's right.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 10:34 PM) *
Froggie & CM I have already read the initial post. what I meant by "and I don't feel like reading the whole thread to find out" was reading every single post. It's true that I didn't reread Wyvern's post before I said it, but I don't think it makes me "arrogant".

I take it back. In hinesight I see that arrogant was too harsh. Sorry, Devils Daughter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.