Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mapping Matazone!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Will the experiment be hindered by the new-found-aunt-dom?

Many congrats by the way, is it a boy or a girl? Did your brother have the right day booked off?

Hope all is going well smile.gif
Wyvern
I don't think it'll hinder things too much, Im going to save all my best corrupting influences for later, although I am forced to admit a cetain cute appeal.

Anyways I have a niece, Millie Sky Aurora, 7lb 3 oz born at 2pm this afternoon after 11 hours....eeep!
Bless my brother rang at 7am shouting its here its here, I think he was a tad premature but we shall excuse on the grounds of nervous panic. biggrin.gif

Well as I say she's cute and likes eating my finger....I may learn to deal with babies after all, perhaps I could go as far to say she's adorable and well witness all a smitten Wyvern, reluctant at first but learning fast tongue.gif
Mata
I'm posting from somewhere inside my head, and my age feels like it is to infinity and beyond.

Oh, and congrats on the little person.
pgrmdave
Feel free to use any and all data I can provide

I live in Byram, New Jersey, with a mailing address in Sparta, NJ
elphaba2
How have I not noticed this before? The idea sounds fantastic but very odd (as all the best are). Feel free to use my data:
I'm currently residing vaguely in Westchester, NY, with an age that appartently causes computer problems as I try to type it (it just posted automatically before I could enter my age, so lets err on the side of caution and say I'm under 18)*

*but over 12
Moosh
It's occurred to me that everyone else has put their details in their post, whereas I didn't and so forced you to trek to my profile and work out my age from there. I apologise for giving you this unnessescary workload.

If, on the other hand you haven't used me yet because I didn't put it on, I'm 15 and live in Stafford, Staffordshire.

Also, congrats to your brother etc on the new addition
JimiJimi
Jimi, 32, Lincolnshire. At least I was 32 the last time I checked.
Apollyon
Hey all. Wow, this sounds like a huge project you are taking on! Amazing, really.
Good luck and all that. Oh yes, and you can use my info.

Ashley. 14. Olympia, WA, USA.

Congrats to you on the little niece by the way! biggrin.gif
kisah
QUOTE (arachnidoc17 @ Jul 18 2005, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jul 18 2005, 06:39 PM)
Erm, a fourth dimension is generally taken to be time. Hence an animated piece.

blink.gif Oh, I thought he was implying THE fourth dimension. That's all about hypercubes and stuff. Really complicated.

Does that mean that arachnidoc17's avatar is three dimensional as it is an animated 2 dimensional picture?

P.S. you can use my details and I am 25. at the moment (and not for long) I live in leicester.
kisah
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jul 19 2005, 07:53 PM)
If you ask me, it's a case of choosing a starting point. Anything left of the point is positive, anything right, negative. Anything later, positive, anything earlier, negative, etc. Just depends where you put your zero.

/me puts her zero in her pocket
kisah
QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jul 20 2005, 09:52 PM)
Anyway I thought it might help show what I am attempting and were I am coming from with it.

Excuse some of the image quality.

Password is Wyvern and strangely enough you want the album: Mapping  tongue.gif

(Okay, so originally I felt guilty for belatedly reading through the whole thread and replying individually to each thing that I thought something about BUT now I'm thinking, this is totally a good thing for me to do because it's not what I would normally do but it's definately what I'm inclined to do presently which is to say, like, life imitating art man.)

Anyway-

Blargh! There are very round lumpy bumpies in one of those pictures.

Nearly as bad as polka-dots.

*shudder*
kisah
QUOTE (Apollyon @ Jul 28 2005, 05:11 AM)
Hey all.  Wow, this sounds like a huge project you are taking on!  Amazing, really.
Good luck and all that.  Oh yes, and you can use my info.

Ashley.  14.  Olympia, WA, USA.

Congrats to you on the little niece by the way! biggrin.gif

And what's with all the WA folk? Mr Irish Dude and now this?

You guys better know how lucky you are.
Jonman
QUOTE (kisah @ Jul 28 2005, 11:27 AM)
And what's with all the WA folk?  Mr Irish Dude and now this?

not forgetting Feyliya (and her fella), who live in lovely lovely Seattle (she used to live in that place up north where you used to live (not Kirkland - where you lived before that, and where you used to go cycling around with Rick (if memory serves)) - ooh, GreenLake - I remember now.)
Spacehappy
Pete, 33 Roath, Cardiff.
Cath Sparrow
Hhuummmm....... posting from glasgow would that add to your fun?
CommieBastard
Everyone seems to just be adding random variables to confuse Wyvern.

POSTED WHILE DRINKING COFFEE

edit: AND LISTENING TO BLACK SABBATH

edit2: LIIIINK
Feyliya
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jul 28 2005, 02:37 AM)
QUOTE (kisah @ Jul 28 2005, 11:27 AM)
And what's with all the WA folk?  Mr Irish Dude and now this?

not forgetting Feyliya (and her fella), who live in lovely lovely Seattle (she used to live in that place up north where you used to live (not Kirkland - where you lived before that, and where you used to go cycling around with Rick (if memory serves)) - ooh, GreenLake - I remember now.)

Oh yesyesyesyesyes, I realize exactly how lucky I am. I moved here from South Carolina, so I'm fully aware. laugh.gif Hey, maybe the two of you can join in my D&D gaming group when ya'll get back here. At the very least we can all go out and get a nice cup of coffee together.

And yes, I live right next to Greenlake. I can stand on my porch and see the people walking around the path. smile.gif

::is posting while watching "Roseanne" on TV and while Randy is reading a "Realms of Fantasy" magazine::
Phyllis
This is Moop posting from Cand's account while sat on the couch instead of upstairs while an O2 advert is on TV using my laptop, not a desktop PC, runing Mac OS X and using Firefox as a browser.

Is that too many variables?

I could post from a computer in a different town while sat on one here if you want real confusion?

*cackles*

Cand says she takes no responsibility for this post.

Maybe I was taking what Commie said a little too far. >_>
Wyvern
Everyone seems to just be adding random variables to confuse Wyvern.

Confusion! I live for confusion...well I keep telling myself that. blink.gif

Just so you know I won't post a vast amount I prefer to keep things from my end relevant just so the project doesn't become artificially inflated by my own input. I am still keeping an eye out and so far things are expanding far beyond anything I thought possible. So many interesting variables. This one is going to keep me going for a while.

Already Im trying to work out how to approach when multiple threads in the actual conversation overlap. Its tricky but really interesting, I think 3D is definately the way to go with this one!
Tarantio
As promised just to confuse you some more a post from Glasgow and it's not even under my own name! aren't I nice biggrin.gif
Cath
{Gothic Angel}
Wy, you're mad. Like, insane. This will kill you. Or at least turn you into a reculse who cackles madly and works constantly.

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jul 18 2005, 10:17 PM)
(I live in East London, though this is being posted from Broadstairs, Kent)

[spam]I'm going on holiday there.[/spam]

17 (haha snoo tongue.gif), Female (really, contrary to popular opinion), living a field and 2 roads away from Greeneyes. Or something.
DarkInferno
Heh heh heh.

I'm male, 24, 6'2" typing this on a computer in Boise, US, whilst sat in the West Midlands, UK, ask Mata to confirm where my ip is from if you don't belive me tongue.gif

I'm currently drinking Vimto out of a dimpled pint glass.
Wyvern
As promised just to confuse you some more a post from Glasgow and it's not even under my own name! aren't I nice
Cath

Why am I not surprised? dry.gif

QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Jul 30 2005, 10:56 PM)
Heh heh heh.

I'm male, 24, 6'2"  typing this on a computer in Boise, US, whilst sat in the West Midlands, UK,  ask  Mata to confirm where my ip is from if you don't belive me tongue.gif

I'm currently drinking Vimto out of a dimpled pint glass.

This is where I start to get freaked out after realising a slight glitch in my planning. I had forgotten to allow for awkward so-un-so's located halfway across the world from there IP addresses.
Im sure you all know who you are! evil.gif
Note the selective glossing over of various additional factors such as physical makeup, current music selection or beverage tongue.gif

Well I can't complain, doing this was probably just an open invitation for trouble...although one question. Are you all suddenly possessed of a desire to traverse the globe and post through coincidence, or the desire to twist my mind into ever tighter spirals of confusion? huh.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jul 31 2005, 08:34 PM)
Why am I not surprised? dry.gif

Do you expect anything else from me? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Wyvern @ Jul 31 2005, 08:34 PM)
Well I can't complain, doing this was probably just an open invitation for trouble...although one question. Are you all suddenly possessed of a desire to traverse the globe and post through coincidence, or the desire to twist my mind into ever tighter spirals of confusion? huh.gif

Confusion of course! Why else would we do it?
voices_in_my_head
Don't you know that life isn't fun until someone's confused?
Feyliya
Every morn' I see the light
And wish the day were starry night.

Sorry, I just can't help but think of my old sig pic whenever I see Voices'! Maybe I should unearth it. ::scurries to comb her harddrive::
Phyllis
QUOTE (kisah @ Jul 28 2005, 03:12 AM)
Does that mean that arachnidoc17's avatar is three dimensional as it is an animated 2 dimensional picture?

It all depends how you define your dimensions. If I decided to use the brightness of colours in my av to indicate the position of the pixel in the 3rd dimension I'd get a nice bass relief of Faye from Questionable Content. Yay!

Aren't dimensions fun.

(This is Moop posting as Cand but knowingly because her av works so much better for this post)
Daria
I have been travelling recently, and thinking about this thread, so does that add more variables, or not as I haven't posted whilst travelling?

(No where very interesting, just France. In the countryside and proving my map and observational skills are both finely tuned, but not when put together...)

And the thought that came into my head at the end of all this was
"I like candy... *bu bu bu dub bu...* "
Cath Sparrow
I love the people in this forum! Your all going to screw Wyverns brain up so tightly it may implode! Keep up the good work evil.gif

*runs and hides*
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Cath @ Aug 2 2005, 09:13 PM)
I love the people in this forum! Your all going to screw Wyverns brain up so tightly it may implode! Keep up the good work  evil.gif

Why we want it to implode?, that would deprive us of a gibbing wreck ....a short sexy gibbering wreck. smile.gif
Daria
Half a pound of tuppeny rice,
Half a pound of treacle,
That's the way the forum goes,
Pop goes the weasle...
Moosh
pop goes Wyvy surely?

But yeah, I agree with Space
voices_in_my_head
pgrmdave
So, how goes the project, Wyvern?
Cath Sparrow
Right people have asked what about if they put links and pictures in but what about all the links in peoples sigs?

*disapears in cloud of talc before Wyv can come after her*
EvilSpork
So are you suggesting we put random links in our signatures?

I just had toast with peanut butter. I also ate a lemon.
Cath Sparrow
Nah! Just wondering if she has or is going take the ones that are already into consideration.
Wyvern
Aaaaaarggghhh!!!!

I shall add something more coherent once I've disentangled this lot.
Im hoping to have some images to put up soon as things are getting to the point where I can start working with them now.

Thankyou all....I think..... blink.gif
exceptional1709
Wyvern, I'm completely confuzzled! What exactly are we meant to be posting? huh.gif
froggle-rock
I am posting my age (22) and my location (London). I just saw Jaq off. *meep* So, theat's it. She's gone, oh my, what went wroooooooong?

Meah. It was fun having her stay here, and OH SHIP! I've just looked around my room, and she left her skirt and shirt here! Poodle stix! Meah. Right okay, I guess I shall have to post them. Typical. Pft.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (exceptional1709 @ Aug 5 2005, 06:20 AM)
Wyvern, I'm completely confuzzled!  What exactly are we meant to be posting?  huh.gif

Just carry on one of the random conversations going on round here and give her permission to use your details. That's about it. Oh and wish her happy birthday! tongue.gif

*sulks with Froggy at lack of Jaq*
Wyvern
pgrmdave Posted Yesterday, 01:11 PM
  So, how goes the project, Wyvern?

So far, so good thanks. Im starting to translate the information accumulated so far into linear diagrams, something halfway between a wiring layout and a timeline. These diagrams focus predominantly on time, location and how each post interacts with others but they really are quite complex even with limited variables. It doesnt look like I can get my hands on a working scanner any time soon but I shall try and work something out, afterall its no use trying to describe these things they really need to be seen.
Cath Posted Yesterday, 02:02 PM
  Right people have asked what about if they put links and pictures in but what about all the links in peoples sigs?

*disapears in cloud of talc before Wyv can come after her*
EvilSpoon Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM
  So are you suggesting we put random links in our signatures?

I just had toast with peanut butter. I also ate a lemon.
Cath Posted Yesterday, 08:22 PM
  Nah! Just wondering if she has or is going take the ones that are already into consideration.

Typically you've all hit on the one thing Im struggling to approach, mainly because it never occured to me beyond a vague uneasyness that it might happen and need addressing. Links directly in posts I think I have established a way of if not mapping them at least indicating their presence.
However, links within sigs I am currently ignoring. Well not ignoring exactly as Im keeping a record of them, its just that until I have worked out the basic parameters of this project I am not entirely confident I can handle the complexities including them would introduce. I think Im going to keep those on the backburner for advancing the work later though. Likewise the assorted descriptions of beverages, music and other fascinating atmospheric enhancers are being stored for stage two. Too much too soon and I might expire from the excitement! tongue.gif

Ohh and as a little scrap of information some of you may find interesting, I found a link to the Atlas of Cyberspace I referred to somewhere back at the beginning. This started off purely as eye candy however I now have the book on order and am saving for its conterpart Mapping Cyberspace as even with my limited knowledge I have become fascinated by the entire concept.

Atlas of Cyberspace...somehow I don't think my images will be this complex....*gulps and backs away carefully*
Snugglebum the Destroyer
give her permission to use your details

So what if I don't give her permission to use my details?

I have posted, so should be included. What bearing do my details have?
Wyvern
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Aug 5 2005, 07:47 PM)
give her permission to use your details

So what if I don't give her permission to use my details?

I have posted, so should be included. What bearing do my details have?

Certainly your post details will be included regardless. However without permission to use your age and location it will be placed in a none specific area within the image(its tricky to explain without an imager to show you).
The posts position in relation to the main thread will recorded. Your own position should I use a global map for positioning at any point will be placed in a seperate area or layer, floating if you like, rather than pinpointed on your town/country whatever.
It is one of the restrictions I have set myself, although the information cannot be traced back to you personally, I see it as a common courtesy to ask...one of my many foibles. tongue.gif
In regards your age, although I have asked for this it is beginning to seem unlikely that it will be relevant to the work so its down to your personal choice reallyI can worj around it either way tongue.gif
porcelainwarrior
You can use any of my details, I'm 18 and I live in Fife, Scotland. I sometimes post from Dundee when I go to annoy Fallen Element (have no idea if he's posted here or not) and erm...I liked voices pic of the penguins although I prefer the penguins that come with the yellow comb on their heads but I can't remember what they're called. Also Happy Birthday for whenever it was and good luck with this madness, I still haven't managed to work out what exactly you're doing but I wanted an excuse to talk about penguins tongue.gif
Daria
Happy Birthday!
I like lemons too, but I prefer nectarines.

"Do you want any salt or pepper on that?"
"No, it's slippery enough already"

(Part of the conversation at breakfast this morning between my 45 year old mother, and 7 year old brother)
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Aug 7 2005, 05:03 AM)
I liked voices pic of the penguins although I prefer the penguins that come with the yellow comb on their heads but I can't remember what they're called. Also Happy Birthday for whenever it was and good luck with this madness, I still haven't managed to work out what exactly you're doing but I wanted an excuse to talk about penguins tongue.gif

Feyliya
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Aug 7 2005, 02:03 AM)
erm...I liked voices pic of the penguins although I prefer the penguins that come with the yellow comb on their heads but I can't remember what they're called.

They're called Macaroni Penguins, and boy are they cute!
Wyvern
Well just a brief update and a few queries.

Things are going well, the sheer volume of information means this is going to take a lot longer than I anticipated, I still rate this as a very good thing it is fascinating. To help with approaching the whys and wherefores and what the???... hows that possibles? I've been doing a little light research into the history and origins of the internet...it is absolutely fascinating!

If it is of interest to any of you I recommend you take a peek at this little book....'Where wizards stay up late the origins of the internet' by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon.

Having nothing beyond a basic working knowledge of computers, well perhaps a tiddly bit beyond basic but I mean tiddly, this book is great it breaks things down into understandable chunks so by the end of it I understand alsorts of things I never even knew about before. Like information packets and how quite a substantial amount of computing developed from studies of the audiotory system...as I said my knowledge is limited and that is greatly simplified but Im buzzing with ideas for both paintings and a piece mixing animation and sculpture although that one will require me developing several new skills before I can put it into practice.

As a result of all these little things I think they're called ideas whizzing around in my skull I have a question.

HELP!!!

Can anyone out there provide me with a basic Binary key something which will allow me to convert passages of text into Binary code? Im not overly concerned with full technical applications I just need a chart that I can use to convert characters and keystrokes if this is indeed possible?
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as wading through computer programming books and mathematical calculations Im probably going right past what I need. ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.