Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has heard of a mooncup?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
kisah
I feel like I shouldn't have to warn anyone, but in the event that someone has issue with or just doesn't want to talk about menstration- stop reading now. =)

Okay, so I'm really sorry to do this to you guys but I'm totally pleased that I finally followed my friend's advice and invested in a menstrual cup. It works perfectly.

Did you know that feminine hygeine products are subject to a "Luxury Tax" in many countries (Including the UK)?

I want to spread the word just a little bit because I think it's an important choice that women might not know about.

It's not just for knit-your-own-tofu types either.

Mooncup Webpage

For USA version
gothictheysay
Another similar site smile.gif

http://www.divacup.com/
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I knew about the Luxury Tax - which sucks. I've always maintained that sanitary products should be free anyway seeing as it's not something that us girlies have a choice in. dry.gif

It's gotta be said though - I'm really not sure I like the idea of a Mooncup. Makes sense financially I suppose but I don't think I'd be terribly comfortable with it.
Aria
Yup, seen it and am thinking about getting one. Although, hopefully my IUD will stop me from menstruating. Got my fingers crossed!
artist.unknown
I don't see how removal couldn't be messy. And I'm going to stop talking now because that's just too many images in my head.

Toilet paper also falls under the luxary tax. I swear, men make these lists.
kisah
Well, I've lived in England long enough to know it's not my place to inquire about someone else's discomfort about something but in my (very limited) experience, it's mess free.

I really truly am impressed. It's okay if I'm all alone though. tongue.gif
gothictheysay
I certainly think it'd be worth a try if I could get one... I'm sure it's a lot less messy than what I've been working with... @_@ Gonna be a weird thing to put on a wishlist for the holidays or my birthday though. tongue.gif
ravein
These things always weird me out. However the DivaCup didnít look all that bad. However my cycle lasts about two days so I don't really worry about it. I was blessed with the best period in the world. Feel free to hate me now tongue.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Jul 27 2005, 07:27 PM)
I don't see how removal couldn't be messy. And I'm going to stop talking now because that's just too many images in my head.

Toilet paper also falls under the luxary tax. I swear, men make these lists.

I agree with her. 100%.

Ick.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I don't see how removal couldn't be messy.

I have this rather disgusting mental image of the little thing getting bigger and bigger as it fills like a condom full of water....

*ahem* And perhaps I should have just left that one alone. blink.gif
Cath Sparrow
*Starts ponding head on the desk* Thanks Snuggle for the image. blink.gif

Right mooncup and divacup I can deal with but The Keeper just sounds wrong in so many ways for some reason.
I'm kind of curious but what if you find your full up in a public loo what then it's not like it's something that pratical to put in you bag and deal with later? and why am I having these thoughts I dont want them! *resumes head pounding*
Phyllis
It answers that question in the mooncup FAQ section.

They suggest carrying a bottle of water with you at all times! Whoo!
gothictheysay
Then just wear something else when you go out? *shrug*
kisah
QUOTE (ravein @ Jul 27 2005, 08:31 PM)
These things always weird me out. However the DivaCup didnít look all that bad. However my cycle lasts about two days so I don't really worry about it. I was blessed with the best period in the world. Feel free to hate me now tongue.gif

*noted*

Grr
kisah
QUOTE (Cath @ Jul 27 2005, 10:29 PM)
*Starts ponding head on the desk* Thanks Snuggle for the image.  blink.gif

Right mooncup and divacup I can deal with but The Keeper just sounds wrong in so many ways for some reason.
I'm kind of curious but what if you find your full up in a public loo what then it's not like it's something that pratical to put in you bag and deal with later? and why am I having these thoughts I dont want them! *resumes head pounding*

Indeed, blargh, images. I think there is fear of the unknown lingering.

You just take it out and dump the collections in the loo and you can wipe it out with loo roll or just put it back in as is until later when you can rinse it out. As long as your hands are clean it's not like it's going to have icky stuff on it. smile.gif

apart from the icky stuff it's collecting. blink.gif

But that's inside. biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
For some reason, it also strikes me as kinda unhygienic. Maybe it's just the re-usage thing. What if you didn't wash it out properly or something? And what happens when the rubber perishes? And there are reasons why tampons and things need to be replaced regularly - TSS for a start.
Cath Sparrow
It tells you about TSS on the page and your surposed to replace it after a few years.
froggle-rock
I too would be curious to try one out, but only in the comfort of my own home for the duration of the period, just because I'd be paranoid about it leaking because I dint insert it correctly. But let's face it, I'm sure the first times we all used pads or tampons it was a bit messy.

I guess it's just one of those things, if I ever get around to using it, then I do, but if I don't, then I don't.
Sir Psycho Sexy
I just _had_ to look didn't I? >_<
ravein
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jul 28 2005, 02:48 PM)
I just _had_ to look didn't I? >_<

hahaha!!! You will survive... you maybe scarred though.
artist.unknown
For some reason, it also strikes me as kinda unhygienic. Maybe it's just the re-usage thing. What if you didn't wash it out properly or something? And what happens when the rubber perishes? And there are reasons why tampons and things need to be replaced regularly - TSS for a start.

This doesn't strike me as something that would be very good for OCD types. I can just see myself in some public bathroom wiping it down over and over and over again. Eheh.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I can see it being one of those things that you could carry around in case of emergencies and not have to worry about someone going through your bag finding it and causing much embarrasment because they would probably go "What the moo cow is this?" and you could say that it's a mould for making hats for garden gnomes or something equally believeable but non-embarrsingb... or you could tell them the truth and watch them scream!
LoLo
Sounds interesting and I think I'll try one. The only thing I wonder about with it is if it is easy to tell when it is full?
Calantyr
Why.
Did.
I.
LOOK!?!?!

ARGH! My mind has been pillaged!
Feyliya
Ask your brother for some of his mind bleach. I know Laz keeps plenty around. laugh.gif

/spam
beccareb
I just can't imagine how that can be practical. It seems that you would be likely to spill it or something.... Probably would work just fine until you tried to empty it in a public restroom, but that is how life works, eh? It also strikes me as unsanitary, especially if you use it for ten years.
LoLo
QUOTE (beccareb @ Jul 31 2005, 01:02 PM)
I just can't imagine how that can be practical.† It seems that you would be likely to spill it or something.... Probably would work just fine until you tried to empty it in a public restroom, but that is how life works, eh?† It also strikes me as unsanitary, especially if you use it for ten years.

That's why you follow the instructions that are given on the site for sterolizing it by putting it in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.

As for the spilling thing, my guess would be that like anything else practice makes perfect.
Daria
It sounds like a good idea, although for the heavy bleeders it could be a little annoying.

biggrin.gif
There was a warning at the start!
Why.
Did.
I.
LOOK!?!?!

ARGH! My mind has been pillaged!
gothictheysay
although for the heavy bleeders it could be a little annoying.

Not as annoying as the system I'm going with now, but I see your point. blush.gif
kisah
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jul 29 2005, 02:03 PM)
Sounds interesting and I think I'll try one.  The only thing I wonder about with it is if it is easy to tell when it is full?

Woo hoo, That's my favorite forum woman talking there! To answer your question, no. It is not 'easy' to tell when it is full. However, you get the hang of it because you'll naturally be more paranoid than you need to be. You check it every 4 - 6 hours essentially.

I wouldn't reccomend the rubber one over the silicone one.
aldis
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Jul 30 2005, 03:18 AM)
Ask your brother for some of his mind bleach.  I know Laz keeps plenty around. laugh.gif

/spam

Well Why go miserly on hygene?? Can't Brits affords Tampons or whatever they are called???
Usurper MrTeapot
Pfft, nothing to be afraid of in this topic. Wimpy men. Glad I'm not one.

I had a look at the site, the FAQ seemed a little suspicious or was that just me? There seemed a bit of emphasis on them proving that it isn't a scam which makes me think that perhaps it is. But if kisah can vouch for them then perhaps I'll recommend it to my female friends.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Aug 12 2005, 12:22 PM)
But if kisah can vouch for them then perhaps I'll recommend it to my female friends.

I'm not entirely sure I would take advice on menstural sanitation from male friends. Even on the advice of another girl tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Blergh, well in that case I'll just use it as a conversation starter at dinner parties.
little_bear
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Aug 12 2005, 11:49 PM)
Blergh, well in that case I'll just use it as a conversation starter at dinner parties.

"Yes, this tomato soup is lovely thank you."

"Now, periods eh?"
insaneperc1015
its times like these, when i read stuff like this, that makes me really happy that i dont get periods..
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 12 2005, 10:39 AM)
Can't Brits affords Tampons or whatever they are called???

Umm... that's not the point. Not only do they save money but they are more environmentally friendly and more convenient - you're not going to run out and have to panic about how you're going to ever leave the bathroom let alone get to the shops to get more in time. unsure.gif
believe
I'd be afraid to try it personally. I'm unused enough to stuff up 'there', that putting it tampons can be less than comfortable on the rare occasions I try one. Something wider just sounds uncomfortable. blink.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (insaneperc1015 @ Aug 13 2005, 04:26 AM)
its times like these, when i read stuff like this, that makes me really happy that i dont get periods..

You don't? How?
lebigcheeseneit!
i highly doubt that this was the kind of thing mata thought would be in here when he thought this thing up...

matazone, not mooncup.

but i digress. i was thinking about this today: what do the homless or really poor women do when they have their period? and yes, mooncup sounds like an answer...but not so much.

i guess this is a wonderful progress from my mother's beginning when she wore belts with *things* attached, and girls would stand up after class with HUGE 'spots' on their skirts because the belt shifted.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
what do the homless or really poor women do when they have their period?

I suspect they revert to way back when woman used to use rags that needed to be cleaned. The adult equivelent of a terry nappy I suppose or your mums 'belt with things attached'. smile.gif

Thank God for progress.
Phyllis
Or because they don't eat properly they maybe don't have them so they wouldn't have to worry?

This is snoo btw but shh... don't tell Cand I used her account.
Daria
QUOTE (lebigcheeseneit! @ Aug 13 2005, 09:29 PM)
i highly doubt that this was the kind of thing mata thought would be in here when he thought this thing up...

matazone, not mooncup.

but i digress. i was thinking about this today: what do the homless or really poor women do when they have their period? and yes, mooncup sounds like an answer...but not so much.

i guess this is a wonderful progress from my mother's beginning when she wore belts with *things* attached, and girls would stand up after class with HUGE 'spots' on their skirts because the belt shifted.

My mum still tourments(sp?) me with these sorts of stories... The "you should feel lucky" ones about how much worse off it was in the 60's and 70's.
insaneperc1015
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 13 2005, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (insaneperc1015 @ Aug 13 2005, 04:26 AM)

You don't? How?

i lack one of those uterus things.
Usurper MrTeapot
h'ignore this post
CommieBastard
A hysterectomy, perhaps?
pgrmdave
I believe that it was explained in her first post, at

http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php...topic=12888&hl=

She said to look up MRKH, so I did when she first joined. I suggest you do too.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (believe @ Aug 13 2005, 07:45 PM)
I'd be afraid to try it personally. I'm unused enough to stuff up 'there', that putting it tampons can be less than comfortable on the rare occasions I try one. Something wider just sounds uncomfortable.  blink.gif

Some people just don't get on with tampons well. My mum is one of them, though she did say the O.B ones Cand bought over for me from the US were very wearable compared to supermarket brand and Tampax. One of the other things that can make it uncomfortable is if the tampon isn't inserted up far enough. Also if you are too dry, i.e make sure ou are actualy bleeding before you put in a tampon. But then again, at then end of the day if you don't feel comfortable using them, or with the thought of using them, then there is no worth trying to force it. Being on is about being as comfy as possible wink.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (believe @ Aug 13 2005, 07:45 PM)
I'd be afraid to try it personally. I'm unused enough to stuff up 'there', that putting it tampons can be less than comfortable on the rare occasions I try one. Something wider just sounds uncomfortable.† blink.gif

But, if you struggle with other menstrual products, then wouldn't you be more inclined to try it, so that you can use one that works better? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyway, while it is technically wider, it's going to curve to fit your particularly girly bits - it's super-flexy, like, umm, can't really think of a similar thing - ooh, you know those posh silicon bendy cake tins you can get? It's like that - a bit floppy.

From simply looking at the mooncup and looking at a tampon, I'd guess that using the mooncup would actually be more comfortable. But then again, I'm speculating wildly, as I don't have girly bits.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (lebigcheeseneit! @ Aug 13 2005, 09:29 PM)

Trust me this is quite a tame and sencible conversation compared to some we've had in the past and Mata doesn't tend to mind usually joins in if were not carefull. biggrin.gif

As for Jonman's comment about it looking more comfortable than a tampon, it makes sence options something to stab uncomfortably or something to fit in and around bits. *still pondering the idea*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.