Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has heard of a mooncup?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
froggle-rock
Hmm... It's not exatly someting you can try before you buy, is it? wink.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Aug 15 2005, 02:52 PM)
Hmm... It's not exatly someting you can try before you buy, is it? wink.gif

It's true. But for 20 quid, it's a calculated risk. All the women that me and Mrs Jonman know give it 3 thumbs up. None said it didn't work/was uncomfortable.

Worst case, you've wasted 20 quid.

Best case, you've saved yourself hundreds of quid (no more paying for tampons for the next 10 years (lifetime of the cup)).
gothictheysay
Also if you are too dry, i.e make sure ou are actualy bleeding before you put in a tampon

One of the most painful experiences of my life.

ow ow ow ow

/spam
believe
funked)out_frog: I suspect it was my complete inexperience with tampons and that part of my body. Those two combined make it a not overly fair trial. Or I could be like your mom and just not prefer them. >_o bleh. Stupid time of month stuff.

But, if you struggle with other menstrual products, then wouldn't you be more inclined to try it, so that you can use one that works better? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Being uncomfortable generally doesn't have you heading out in search of something that might have a similiar effect. You have a point though, as it might well be worth trying.

Another point in that it appears more flexible though a tampon. Though I still twitch at the thought of trying to er, get it in properly. >.>
kisah
Another point in that it appears more flexible though a tampon. Though I still twitch at the thought of trying to er, get it in properly. >.>

wOOt That is absolutely the best part though.

See you fold it in half lengthwise, and then you fold it in half again... So it's super flat and narrow...

Then when you push it into place it springs open like an umbrella.

Come on, that's worth 20 quid right there.
Daria
QUOTE (kisah @ Aug 16 2005, 05:24 PM)

wOOt That is absolutely the best part though.

See you fold it in half lengthwise, and then you fold it in half again... So it's super flat and narrow...

Then when you push it into place it springs open like an umbrella.

Come one, that's worth 20 quid right there.

That made me laugh so much biggrin.gif
Feyliya
That's it! I'm decided! Next time I need to buy pads I'm getting one of these instead! Opens like an umbrella indeed....I've GOT to see that! laugh.gif (Well, maybe not see, per se....)
Marriegold
This doesn't strike me as something that would be very good for OCD types. I can just see myself in some public bathroom wiping it down over and over and over again. Eheh.

I agree with you. Sounds like something I would do too.
If you got use to it would you say this would be easier and better to use (if you get use to it? Also if you found you can't use tampons is there still a possibility of using the mooncup? Just curious to know.
kisah
QUOTE (Marriegold @ Aug 16 2005, 08:21 PM)
I agree with you. Sounds like something I would do too.
If you got use to it would you say this would be easier and better to use (if you get use to it? Also if you found you can't use tampons is there still a possibility of using the mooncup? Just curious to know.

To be completely honest, I wouldn't say it's easier. What's more easy than pulling on a string and having all of your insides fall out? I would definately say it is better though. Once you get over the initial discomfort with the intimacy of it all... going down in a public restroom- it is not more difficult or anything. It is totally cost effective and WAY better for your body. When I started to use it I was already in the middle of a period and had been using tampons for the first half. I was really suprised by all of the cotton fibres that kept finding their way out of there.

Tampons are grosser than you may think.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Aug 15 2005, 08:08 PM)

ow ow ow ow

/spam

Broke my hymen with tampons *pain*

QUOTE (kisah @ Aug 17 2005, 11:42 AM)
I was really suprised by all of the cotton fibres that kept finding their way out of there.

Jesus, girl, what brand were you using? They shouldn't be doing that...

Or were you using one which was for a heavier flow than you should have been? (If that makes any grammatical sense at all dry.gif)
kisah
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 18 2005, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Aug 15 2005, 08:08 PM)

ow ow ow ow

/spam

Broke my hymen with tampons *pain*

QUOTE (kisah @ Aug 17 2005, 11:42 AM)
I was really suprised by all of the cotton fibres that kept finding their way out of there.

Jesus, girl, what brand were you using? They shouldn't be doing that...

Or were you using one which was for a heavier flow than you should have been? (If that makes any grammatical sense at all dry.gif)

blink.gif

*shrugs* Tampax brand is all I've used since I moved over to England and can't find O.B. but I don't think I was using the wrong size/absobancy. Could be wrong ofcourse.

I don't know why I hadn't considered that it might just be me. To be honest, I never noticed them until I started using the mooncup because they just came out with everything else. Since they were all stuck in a little cup, it was a lot easier to see them.
{Gothic Angel}
*shrugs* Tampax brand is all I've used since I moved over to England and can't find O.B.

Tampax have had several scares about the reliability and quality of their stuff. Not saying that mooncup is or isn't better, but if you're gonna use tampons, other brands might be a better move. I use Kotex, cos they're cheap, cute (well, the packaging and stuff... in so far as a tampon can be tongue.gif), and effective for heavy bleeders like me. Lil-lets are also good. This could explain the grossness smile.gif
LoLo
I ended up ordering the diva cup and I like the idea of it but it turns out that this particular one is kind of painful. I ordered the other one that Kisah listed for the U.S. version and hopefully it's better. So my suggestion is that women in the U.S. go for the keeper, not the diva cup.
craziness
ew---this its NASTY!

yucky

i just use O.B.- they rock

my friends make fun of me though because its "self application" sad.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (craziness @ Sep 19 2005, 05:04 PM)
ew---this its NASTY!

yucky

Ok seriously, how is it nasty? I know the diva cup ended up hurting me, but I don't get this whole nastyness thing. I use O.B. as well btw.

How is having a cup that catches your menstral fluids any more discusting than a wad of cotton shoved up inside your vagina put there to absorb it? How is it more discusting than having a diaper like pad attached to your underpants to absorb the fluids? All in all anything that's used to deal with menstral fluids could be considered nasty.
froggle-rock
Cand bought me over some O.Bs from Candland. At first they were alright. Then one decided to deapplicate witout permission. I was not amused. This has never happened with any of the big brands, or sstore brands. O.Bs also have this silky layer around the outside that seems to not allow them to absord as much. I want my tampons to absorb, and to absorb good!

I must admit, the reason I prefer tampon's over pads is because I don't like literaly sitting in my menstral fluids for days. But in saying that I tend to wear pads at night, because I want the globby bits to come out.

Lo, has your keeper arrived? Wassit like?
LoLo
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Sep 20 2005, 01:32 AM)
Cand bought me over some O.Bs from Candland.  At first they were alright.  Then one decided to deapplicate witout permission.  I was not amused.  This has never happened with any of the big brands, or sstore brands.  O.Bs also have this silky layer around the outside that seems to not allow them to absord as much.  I want my tampons to absorb, and to absorb good!

I must admit, the reason I prefer tampon's over pads is because I don't like literaly sitting in my menstral fluids for days.  But in saying that I tend to wear pads at night, because I want the globby bits to come out.

Lo, has your keeper arrived?  Wassit like?

That's just one kind of the O.B. they do have ones that have no silky crap on the outside. My sis uses the silky ones and I use the normal ones, and she says the silky part is so you don't get cotton in your vagina, but if they make it absorb less, screw that.

I'm with you on the pad thing, only I never wear them. I never even wore them when I wore underwear, now I have nothing to attach them to, except the inseam of my jeans, but I doubt they would stay.

The keeper probably won't get here until after my period ends this month, so I'll report back next month, but in looking at the pictures vs the diva cup, it doesn't have the things that ended up hurting.
depressed lonely crazy person
Personally I consider menstral fluids to be the second least nasty after Saliva.
{Gothic Angel}
So today I realised that we sell them at work. Curiosity and cute packaging (the little bag is so adorable!) ovecame concerns about ickiness and I bought one (at staff discount no less tongue.gif). It's huge though >.< Like, twice the size of the tampons I use atm.

Gimme 2 weeks and we'll see unsure.gif
craziness
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 19 2005, 10:46 PM)
QUOTE (craziness @ Sep 19 2005, 05:04 PM)
ew---this its NASTY!

yucky

Ok seriously, how is it nasty? I know the diva cup ended up hurting me, but I don't get this whole nastyness thing. I use O.B. as well btw.

How is having a cup that catches your menstral fluids any more discusting than a wad of cotton shoved up inside your vagina put there to absorb it? How is it more discusting than having a diaper like pad attached to your underpants to absorb the fluids? All in all anything that's used to deal with menstral fluids could be considered nasty.

i dont know its just...icky (to me) too see it all like still fresh and stuff, at least if its absorbed you dont have to see the chunks and gross stuff etc. i def. think that all stuff used to deal with menstral fluids is nasty, i just try to shoot for the least messy/nasty way possible (o.b.)
depressed lonely crazy person
It is an impotant part of your body. And a fact to have to to grips with.
If you hate menstral fluids you hate yourself.
little_bear
QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Sep 26 2005, 12:12 PM)
If you hate menstral fluids you hate yourself.

And that's science.
Wookiee
Wookiee: "I'm going to get you some mooncups for Christmas!"
Forever Unknown: "You do and I'm going to stick them up your bottom. And then you can collect your poo!"
{Gothic Angel}
Warning! This post may contain graphic descriptions of things unsuitable for the more sensitive guys (and girls) to read! You were warned!

Ok... Couple of months worth of use and I have reached the following conclusion:

1) Ouch. I was right, it's like, huge compared to a tampon (and yeah, I did get the right size for me and everything). Definately feeling a not-reversing amount of... uhhh "stretch".

2) Fine if you're not that heavy, but it really can't be worn until it fills up, cos it just is *not* practical to wash out and stuff in a public place, especially school. Which leads to emptying every night, which is in and out a little too often for something that large. And please don't start making innuendo out of that. Penises are bigger, but tend to have a little more give in them, even if they are erect tongue.gif

3) It's just absolutely gross to change, and take out when full.

4) On the plus side, it's pretty goddamn good as a leak-free, comfortable menstrul thingy. And it can be worn for extended periods of time without worrying about TSS/infections/thrush/irritation etc. Which is goooood.

Eh. I dunno. I definately won't be throwing it out, but apart from the cost issues and things, I would rate it the same as tampons, not better.
Rykan
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jul 27 2005, 06:24 PM)
I knew about the Luxury Tax - which sucks.  I've always maintained that sanitary products should be free anyway seeing as it's not something that us girlies have a choice in.  dry.gif

There's a TAX!?

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Jul 27 2005, 08:27 PM)
Toilet paper also falls under the luxary tax. I swear, men make these lists.

On toilet paper TOO!? Wtf!?

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Aug 12 2005, 11:49 PM)
Blergh, well in that case I'll just use it as a conversation starter at dinner parties.

I would so love to go to one of the dinner parties you go to laugh.gif

QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 16 2005, 06:19 PM)
That made me laugh so much biggrin.gif

Seconded XD

It does seem rather icky and impractical. I am SO glad the pill I'm on at the moment stops me menstrating. I do have the odd weird period every 8 months or so, but it's wonderful not having to worry about these things ^.^ (for anyone interested, the pill I'm on is called Cerazette <3 ).

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Jul 30 2005, 12:02 AM)
Why.
Did.
I.
LOOK!?!?!

ARGH! My mind has been pillaged!

I don't have any mind bleech for you, so here's some fluff to clean your mind with ^^

snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
*bump*

I was just browsing the Vegetarian society website and it made me gigglesnort to find out that mooncups are approved by them.

I just had a mental image or someone eating one huh.gif

Anyway... I guess /spam
WeeJ
Can't help thinking using this thing would be completly gross. I have a horrid image of removing a beaker full of ick from your private parts... blink.gif
Kitty
But is it worse than removing a wad of cotton from your private parts?
WeeJ
Well, it's just as gross, but at least it's soaked into the cotton. This would be a cup full of menstrual gunge blink.gif
gothictheysay
For me though, if I pull out a tampon the wrong way or if there's not enough liquid = PAIN. so I think this would be easier for me in that respect.
WeeJ
lol, I can still remember my mom yelling through the bathroom door, giving me instructions on how to insert a tampon. Some things you never forget ph34r.gif
Phyllis
haha....I never even attempted a tampon until I was at least in my 20's. I was terrified of them.

I have been pondering a mooncup. I think I am finally getting over my fear that such products could get lost in there somehow (totally irrational, but this is why I have never had a diaphragm).

I wonder, though. Kisah recommended the rubber one. I am thinking that would not be such a great idea for me. That particular substance tends to make me break out when left up against my skin too long. blink.gif Perhaps I will give the silicone one a whirl when I move over to the UK. I will have a lot of time on my hands because I won't be legally allowed to work over there until around April of next year (not even volunteering...grr). And since I'll probably have nowhere else to go...I could test it without fear in the privacy of my own home. Hmmmm

Also,

Toilet paper also falls under the luxary tax. I swear, men make these lists.

I remember seriously having to explain to some boy in IRC why women use more toilet paper than men when that comment was originally posted. I can't remember who it was, though...
Mata
I have a image of a comedy builder scenario there: 'left a bit! Right a bit! Left a bit! Alright, let her rip!' biggrin.gif ohmy.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (snoo @ May 1 2006, 03:24 PM) *
*bump*

NOOOOOOOO!! This thread should die! *hides in corner, shaking with fear*
kisah
I've taken the Cerzette route myself. Period free and that pretty much kicks any other option's butt. I was really excited about my mooncup but it made me really itchy after a few months...

Maybe I should have taken it out once in awhile.

j/k tongue.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (candice @ May 3 2006, 07:38 AM) *
I remember seriously having to explain to some boy in IRC why women use more toilet paper than men when that comment was originally posted. I can't remember who it was, though...

We had to explain to Dan at greenbelt why we had to take toilet paper with us to the porta-loos!

Ahh, poor naieve Dan
Phyllis
QUOTE (kisah @ May 3 2006, 05:05 AM) *
I've taken the Cerzette route myself. Period free and that pretty much kicks any other option's butt.

Hmm...intriguing. I am terrified to try any type of hormonal birth control again. Well, I literally can't try ones like the pill or patch, but the doctor said that I could try stuff like Depo Provera. I'm just not certain I want to. It'd be awesome to not have a period, but my last experience with hormonal birth control was just so horrible that I'm a bit scared of all that stuff now...even the kind that doesn't have blood clots as a possible side effect, cause I'm afraid it'll make me moody or cause weight gain.

Oh well. The search for both the perfect contraception and the perfect menstrual product continues for me!
{Gothic Angel}
You and the rest of the female population of the world, dear tongue.gif The perfect contraception would be "No, you have the baby!"
Saratina
lol, I can still remember my mom yelling through the bathroom door, giving me instructions on how to insert a tampon. Some things you never forget

no kidding, dude. worst three hours of my life.

also, a quote that seems to fit with this thread somehow:

"A tax on toilet paper might make people use less of it. That's not necessarily a good thing." - Gov. Jeb Bush
Phyllis
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ May 4 2006, 09:01 AM) *
You and the rest of the female population of the world, dear tongue.gif The perfect contraception would be "No, you have the baby!"

No, it wouldn't be perfect, since we're trying to AVOID children! tongue.gif I would be just as upset if he ended up pregnant.

And well...most of the rest of the younger female population doesn't really need to worry about various contraceptive pills killing them or landing them in the hospital and then on anti-coagulants for a year. wink.gif

I was reading up on it yesterday, and apparently there's not enough research that has been done on women with a tendency to clot to determine whether or not progesterone based hormonal birth control (like depo provera) will cause them to clot. Blergh. So as much as I envy kisah and her complete lack of periods...looks like I'm going to be investing in a mooncup anyway, because my periods won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Also...3 HOURS to put in a tampon? Holy crap. I would have given up and just used a pad after about 15 minutes. blink.gif
{Gothic Angel}
I would be just as upset if he ended up pregnant.

I would imagine he would too, consdering the amount of stretching of various organs it would take to get a baby outta him tongue.gif
Saratina
Also...3 HOURS to put in a tampon? Holy crap. I would have given up and just used a pad after about 15 minutes.

I wasn't willing to give up swimming for the entire summer tongue.gif
WeeJ

Well...there is talk about the male pill. I'd trust my partner with my life, but when it boils down to it, I wouldn't like it left in someone else hands. I'd be constantly worrying he'd forgot to take it...
Phyllis
QUOTE (WeeJ @ May 7 2006, 09:21 AM) *
Well...there is talk about the male pill. I'd trust my partner with my life, but when it boils down to it, I wouldn't like it left in someone else hands. I'd be constantly worrying he'd forgot to take it...

I would trust him with it, if it actually worked. However, Witless tells me that thus far it's been really decreasing the sex drive of the guys they're testing it on. So, that's a no.
Mata
Out of interest, the pill that prevents periods: does this mean that you keep hold of your eggs so the menopause happens later in life?
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Hmm, that's a good question.

They lower oestrogen levels so they prevent the womb from building up its lining so if an egg does get fertilised it won't have anywhere to embed itself so you don't get pregnant.
I'm not sure if it lowers the oestrogen level enough to stop oogenesis (or whatever it is) from occurring. Also, as far as I was aware the menopause happens when you stop producing the hormones, not when you run out of eggs!

Then again, I've never taken it so I'm probably not the best person to ask. That's just how I see it.
Phyllis
QUOTE (snoo @ May 7 2006, 11:20 AM) *
Also, as far as I was aware the menopause happens when you stop producing the hormones, not when you run out of eggs!

Yup, it is. Women have a squillion eggs. We'd need faaaar more periods to get rid of all of them. Menopause just sets in when our bodies stop producing the necessary hormones for those eggs to continue maturing and for the uterine lining to build up once per month. We don't have a set number of periods based on how many eggs we have.

I'm not entirely certain how the stuff that stops your period works. It doesn't do that for all women. Some still have spotting once a month. An unlucky few start menstruating ALL THE TIME. I have a friend who had her period for...hmm...6-8 weeks straight when she tried Depo. Needless to say, she's not still on it.

I do know that methods like that are progesterone based...but I really don't know exactly how they work. I just know about stuff like effectiveness and side effects and that kind of stuff.
Daria
Well, it just so happens that we have been learning this at the moment.

Most types of oral contraception contain a relatively high level of Oestrogen. Oestrogen inhibits FSH (folicle stimulating hormone), by the pituitary gland. Without FSH, no folicle (the thing that becomes the ovum) develops and ovulation does not occur, so contraception isn't possible. Some pills contain progesterone as well, which inhibits the production of LH (leutenising hormone) therefore reducing the likelyhood of ovulation. [The role of progesterone is much more complex in hormonal contraception than that of oestrogen]
During the days when the pill is not taken, levels of progesterone and oestrogen fall, and so the endometrium breaks down and produces a lighter than normal menstruation.
The Mini-pill only contains Progestin (which is chemically similar to progesterone and can mimic its actions) that also works by thickening the cervical mucus preventing sperm entry. Our biology teacher at this point likened it to trying to swim through a pool full of jelly (Jello).
The morning-after-pill just inhibits implantation of the ovum.

Well, who would have thought it? Biology A-level comes in useful for once!
(wel, that and the fact that I want to be a marine biologist...)
Phyllis
But we were talking about progesterone only methods, Daria. Like Depo Provera or Cerzette. Those usually stop the period from coming at all.
Daria
It explains it.
To me, it doesn't seem possible that you can be on a pill which stops you from having ANY mestruation. Just goes against logic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.