Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats the best harry potter book?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Media
mc joe
harry potter kicks ass
Rob Lee n Joe
QUOTE (mc joe @ Aug 4 2005, 04:10 PM)
harry potter kicks ass

most of the books are very enjoyable
PsychWardMike
Okay, your polls are getting out of hand you two (my bet is that they're the same person...)

Anyway. This definitely belongs in Media and there are numerous topics already there about Harry Potter.
ravein
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Aug 4 2005, 12:17 PM)
Okay, your polls are getting out of hand you two (my bet is that they're the same person...)

Anyway.  This definitely belongs in Media and there are numerous topics already there about Harry Potter.

You are correct in both cases. Topic moved to the correct forum.
BlueOrange25
I voted for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It was the one I enjoyed the most, closely followed by the fourth and fifth in the series. I find the books enjoyable. Sure, they're not literary masterpieces, but they're not trying to be.

It's remarkable what J. K. Rowling has managed to achieve. The sheer numbers of books that she's managed to sell is mind boggling, and she's also managed to bring a whole generation of kids (some young and some old) into reading. This is quite a feat considering the seeming lack of interest some kids have for reading these days.
Marriegold
The first book. When you start reading and realise how good the books are it's the first book that keeps you reading (if it was not that good I wouldn't of bothered reading the next book that then came out).
Mata
Personally I thought the first one was atrocious. I read it to see what all the fuss was about and didn't bother with any of the others for years. It was only when working in a store room one Christmas and having the audio books around that I listened to the next two which were a bit better. The first book is very much 'here's a chapter, and it has one event in it. There is the event. Now the chapter will end'... All the way through.

It's just as well that people disagree with me on this otherwise lots of kids would probably never have got into doing any reading (although there is some evidence to suggest that kids who only started with Harry Potter haven't then begun reading other books).

I recently listened to The Goblet of Fire and that had moments that were very well written, in particular the first chapter is a very tight, tense piece of writing. I found it very annoying that all through there was the mystery of 'who's trying to kill Harry?' and there was absolutely no way of guessing because Rowling left the vital clues out of the text, presumably to preserve the surprise. The trouble is that when you're lining up a surprise twist then you write in a particular style, but she wrote the book as a detective story without giving you all the clues. I found that really irritating and it marred the whole thing for me, which up to that point I had been really enjoying.

I'm currently listening to The Order Of The Phoenix, aka 'Isn't Harry being grumpy?', but I'm reserving judgement until I've got the end. Stephen Fry was a brilliant choice of reader on the audio books and makes even Rowling's stilted digalogue fun to listen to.
mooooooooooopo
Ah, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't worship the Harry Potter series.

To be honest I haven't read the books, I've seen the films and found the plot and the world it was set in extremely annoying. Fantasy worlds are cool when they mesh together and seem coherent. Fantasy worlds which have talking hats (as one example) no good reason annoy and frustrate me.

I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of magic for a wizard to conjur up a talking hat purely for the sake of sorting pupils into houses (and I thought the pupils of Hogwarts were warned against unnecessary use of magic by their - clearly hypocritical - teachers) and since it's set in the modern age they could just use a computer instead.

I nulled my vote.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I found the first two books boring. The last one was alright and I dont remember book 4 and 5, so I voted 3. smile.gif
Greeneyes
Also nulled. I read the first two out of curiosity, and didn't find them anything special.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (moop @ Aug 18 2005, 07:15 PM)
I'm pretty sure it would be a waste of magic for a wizard to conjur up a talking hat purely for the sake of sorting pupils into houses (and I thought the pupils of Hogwarts were warned against unnecessary use of magic by their - clearly hypocritical - teachers) and since it's set in the modern age they could just use a computer instead.

I nulled my vote.

Y'see, if you don't read the books you miss out on a whole load of details. There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!
I_am_the_best
I nulled the vote. I quite enjoy the books, they're a bit of gentle reading. But I'm not exactly the greatest fan. It seems that in every book, Harry is going to face some form of Voldermort and win. That's why I enjoyed the 6th book most, it had a little twist and stopped it from getting too repetitive andmade it less 'episode'-ish.

Anyway, the reason for nulling the vote was because I couldn't decide which book to vote for. I enjoyed the 1st, 3rd and 6th most. The 1st because it was all new and the magic was still fun. As the books progressed the magic of it all became tedious and as if they were learning it solely for the purpose of whatever J K Rowling was going to make them do in that book. the 3rd book because it was just.. well.. fun and helped the plot progress. If any of that made sense...
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 19 2005, 01:16 PM)
There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!

Horribly convoluted logic?

And yes, it would be terribly terribly lame but so is the hat.
little_bear
QUOTE (moop @ Aug 19 2005, 09:22 PM)
There are reasons for both of these, not to mention the fact that using a computer to sort kids into a house in a school of magic would be really...you know...LAME!

Talking hat = Win.

I'm not a massive fan of the books. I did enjoy them all up to Order of the Phoenix, but from there I just thought they went downhill. They're enjoyable yarns, but not literary classics.
I_am_the_best
QUOTE (moop @ Aug 19 2005, 08:22 PM)

Yes but the hat can look inside their brains and choose the right house for them. But computers can't. Yet.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Aug 21 2005, 01:26 PM)
Yes but the hat can look inside their brains and choose the right house for them. But computers can't. Yet.

I guess it'd be pretty hard for them to get that across in the movie.

I should read the books but I refuse to help JK Rowling's profits in any way whatsoever and frankly have better books to read.

I'll shut up now though. smile.gif
Moosh
Personally, I liked the fifth book more than the others. The first 3 were okay but not that good, number 6 was too much like a film script and I can't vote for 4 because my (1st Edition) copy fell apart and I still hold it against them.

Of the films, I have only seen the first one and hated it so I didn't bother with the rest. The books are alright reading, they don't really deserve the reputation for brilliance that they have, but they are above average, light entertainment.
Mata
The first film was diabolically bad, but the combination of Christopher Columbus (the director, and yes that is his name) and JK Rowling's favourite phrase 'Harry/Ron/Hermione's mouth fell open' was always going to lead to a real stinker.

The second one is moderately better, but the book was a big improvement over the first one too, so even though the direction was still appalling it was at least moderately enjoyable.

The third film actually has a decent director (Alfonso Cuarón) and a good story to work with. It's got some camera work that is really very beautiful (the Prof Lupin/Harry conversation on the bridge in particular has a truly wonderful tracking shot) and generally there is a far more sinister tone to the whole shebang. I'd say that if you get the chance then there are far worse things to while away a few hours with.
Mittens322
I found the first one to be completely lame. If I didn't start reading the series with #2, I probably wouldn't have read the rest. As for #3, It's not really the best, but #4 was deffinatly better. I chose #5. It completly twisted the plot around, and now Fred and George dropped out, the schools in mahem, and Peeves is on a rampage. As for the sixth one, I havn't read it yet, but I hear Dumbledore dies, and thats very dissapointing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.