Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wet Dreams
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Pages: 1, 2
aldis
How do you men feel waking up after involuntary dormant ejaculation? Lightheaded? Dizzy? Guilty or plain dirty? Do you think only those abstinent people have these phenomena?? That married or males with committed, regular sexual relationship don’t have it??

I have a friend whose (very young) wife was disturbed witnessing this. She accused him dreaming another woman!! My friend replied he did not even remember the dream. Do you agree with him??
little_bear
Zzzzz ...

Urgh ...

Urgh ...

*splurt*

¬_¬
aldis
Beg Pardon Bear

But you Must having Nightmares in hibernation...!!!!
CommieBastard
Aldis, please post in the regular font size.

Personally I've never had one, and half-suspect they're a myth.
aldis
Beggin Your pardon Commie

I am visually challenged..

And they are not myth (when you last tested your sperm-count?)

PS: I thought you dissapeared with Berlin Wall..Lubyanka PK??[SIZE=7]
CommieBastard
If you have difficulty seeing, you can set your browser to display text in a larger font - in Firefox, this is done by holding down Ctrl and pressing the + button.

I've never had my sperm count tested, actually, but I'm quite sure I would have noticed if I'd had a wet dream (the myth thing was a joke).
PsychWardMike
I've never had one but couldn't see why anyone would feel dirty after having one. I masturbate regularly which is consciously giving myself orgasm so having one in mysleep when I didn't mean to wouldn't bother me at all outside of being a bit annoyed of me soiled undies.
PsychWardMike
And for the record, Communism is still alive in the world (Cuba and China anyone?) and the size buttons don't come into effect until after the message is written.
porcelainwarrior
Maybe its to check he's typed his post correctly (in preview post) before he posts it? /end spam

On topic...I don't think they're gross just natural - especially among younger guys (they've got to do something with all that semen right?). Also; girls can have 'em too y'know they're just not so common. smile.gif
Greeneyes
I had one once. Don't exactly remember it very well, but other than sticky, I don't think I felt anything in particular. The phrase, "oh, bugger" springs to mind. I suppose it's also of note that I've had no sexual relations of any sort.
BlueOrange25
I've never had one, but they do exist. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's perfectly natural. I've read that it's your body's natural way of making sure everything is still working. This usually occurs after long periods where you don't ejaculate. Just think of it as your body's fire alarm test.
PsychWardMike
I honestly don't think it's happened to me because of my healthy masturbation and sexual life.

For those who don't masturbate, I heartily reccomend it! laugh.gif
silvermoon
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Aug 14 2005, 04:02 PM)
I honestly don't think it's happened to me because of my healthy masturbation and sexual life.

For those who don't masturbate, I heartily reccomend it!  laugh.gif

That would explain why I don't have wet dreams.... /spam
aldis
I know communism is alive, but not that glorious hulk Soviet Union eh?

You guys say that regular sex and masturbation would keep the fluid level normal??
I think there’s more than that… A psychological dimension..something buried deep in unconscious ……
Tigersong
As usual, Wikipedia has a wonderful article on the subject. A few choice quotes, dispelling some of the myths:

The source of nocturnal emissions is not known. A common theory, tacitly assumed by many researchers, is that they are the direct result of the stimulation caused by either erotic dreams or memories of waking sexual activities . . . However, there has been little experimental evidence to support this theory, and many men claim to have had nocturnal emissions without accompanying erotic dreams. Another common theory is that wet dreams are the way the body disposes of "built-up" semen, to make room for more; the body does not in fact need to do this, as is evident from the many men who ejaculate only on rare occasions.

The frequency of nocturnal emissions is highly variable. Some men have experienced large numbers of nocturnal emissions as teenagers, while some men have never experienced one in their lives . . . Contrary to popular belief, the frequency that one has nocturnal emissions has not been conclusively linked to one's frequency of masturbation, although widely-known sex researcher Alfred Kinsey controversially claimed that a correlation exists.

QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 14 2005, 09:05 PM)
You guys say that regular sex and masturbation would keep the fluid level normal??
I think there’s more than that… A psychological dimension..something buried deep in unconscious ……

Not very likely, given the above quotes.

I have had one wet dream in my life, and considering the emphasis placed on it in sex ed, I thought I was abnormal. After all, every teacher said that wet dreams were practically the first sign of puberty. This annoyed me to no end when I learned that it was actually fairly common to not have wet dreams at all.
Phyllis
QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 14 2005, 08:24 AM)
I have a friend whose (very young) wife was disturbed witnessing this. She accused him dreaming another woman!!

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but what would it matter even if he was dreaming about another woman? It's not like dreams are something you can control. And just because you dream about something like that, it doesn't necessarily mean you secretly want it to actually happen.

Anyway, hmm. I've found this thread quite interesting. I thought from the way it was talked about in health class that it's something that happened to all boys at the onset of puberty. I don't think it was discussed at all in my human sexuality class (or, if it was, I wasn't paying attention).
aldis
Well like dreams, love/jealousy know no bound. She was afraid and jealous I think.

And you can get shocked by things opposite sex can do. (I still remember with awe the scene of my ladyfriend pulling her tampon off in a easy fluid gesture, and held it off for my inspection, and when she said to do it smoothly, she need to urinate a bit I was in real shock). Menstruation was foreign territory prior to that event, though I was vaguely aware of that girls do that.

OK, enough of that. One of the legends of modern boxing (Ali no less..) wrote in his biography that he subscribed the old fashioned idea that fighters must preserve their “precious bodily fluid” (Lol , anybody watched Dr. Strange Love ? remember General Ripper?) by abstaining from sexual act before a big fight. They would drown their libido in an endless treadmill of hard exercise. “His strength would build up slowly and steadily , it would be hard at first, but Mother Nature would take things in her own hand and relieve the excess pressure by wet dreams, he would feel soft next day, but stronger by and by.” (Note not exact quote)

Well I am not prize fighter, so I can’t comment on that. But Ali was not talking through his teeth guard there, was he..???
Phyllis
QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 15 2005, 01:40 PM)
And you can get shocked by things opposite sex can do. (I still remember with awe the scene of my ladyfriend pulling her tampon off in a easy fluid gesture, and held it off for my inspection, and when she said to do it smoothly, she need to urinate a bit I was in real shock). Menstruation was foreign territory prior to that event, though I was vaguely aware of that girls do that.

Okay...I'm female and have been menstruating for about 12 years, but that little passage there shocked me. blink.gif Far more so than a guy having a wet dream. Menstruation always just seemed more like a private deal to me.
Mata
I've never had one either, and to my memory have only had dreams involving sex two or three times in my life. Usually I have a dream where sex is offered but I either turn them down because I have a girlfriend or I wake up before anything happens. I think I must have fidelity very deeply ingrained on my subconscious!
Kitty
Well arent dreams what the subconcious is trying to tell you? I guess theres really no proof of this either though is there?

I read Angela's Ashes not too long ago and the boy, when he was growing up, as far as I reccolect he didnt really know anything about sex (he heard his mother having sex alot though, but he didnt really knwo what it was) but he had a wet dream. So, I'm thinking it would be something ingrained into our system, but moreso for some than others?
aldis
Okay...I'm female and have been menstruating for about 12 years, but that little passage there shocked me. blink.gif Far more so than a guy having a wet dream. Menstruation always just seemed more like a private deal to me.

[/quote]

Sorry to offend you … if you are offended … did not meant to …

The things Opposite Sex can do really shock us….Not meant to shock just to be frank…all sexual, gender related acts are private … but in anonymity of forum we are here to share and counsel …
depressed lonely crazy person
I don't think she was offended.
I however wouldn't be doing that kind of thing(inserting or removing tampons) in front of my boyfriend if I had one.
Secondly if she has to urinate a bit it probably means that they aren't satuated enough
Just out of curiousity which may be enough to kill several cats why did she do that?

Do you not have sisters?
aldis
Glad 2 know that I was not offending (Though I wd believe it better Candice tell it myself )

Why she did it ?? I do not know I guess it’s too late now… (We broke up)…

She was a bit of a reckless person.. Like standing in the roof upright while a monstrous thunderstorm raged … (I had to carry her off, and for this service she kicked me in a very sensitive spot while I was carrying her.. ) and bit of a exhibitionist as well … I mean less inhibited about her body than any man or woman I have ever met…

No I have no sisters (or brothers for that matter, parents died in early teen … So I kinda grown up alone ..), but I grew up in a neighbor where I had at least 45 cousins (Give or take a few, two third of ‘em female) within 5 minute walking distance, … no, nobody taught me such bee/bird things (or pad/tampon things) … alas..Call it cousinly negligence...

Though it’s none of my business Excuse me Maam,

Why you do not have a boyfriend ??? getting a beau always helps to fight depressions… I can vouch for that too… though at breaking up time you have to pay it back with interests…. (!!!)

And I think we were talking about nocturnal emissions…
depressed lonely crazy person
* on topic *
I have no particular feeling, opinions or knowledge in this area. Had I a boyfriend I may feel diferently or know more however al I have is a 14 year old broother who maintains that allthough he considers keira knightly hot he doesn't masturbate and as he sleeps in the lounge room and I suspect he would move if he considered wet dreams to be a posibility I doubt he has them.

Why you do not have a boyfriend ??? getting a beau always helps to fight depressions… I can vouch for that too… though at breaking up time you have to pay it back with interests…. (!!!)

-Little interest till lately
-I'm antiscocial and do the school thing therefore have few avenues for meeting people and am deprived of the peer presure of needing a boyfriend
-for all you know I could have skin like raw meat or just be really icky looking
-I find most people to be idiots
however there is a boy who I was going to ask out to coffee however I thought it would freak him out if I walked up said "hey I don't know you, want to go for coffe.. I'm Rae by the way" so I'm currently trying to get to know him better.
Good answer??

secondly Are you asking????
Phyllis
No, I wasn't offended. laugh.gif Just a bit surprised. Though I did go "eeewwwww" and wrinkled my nose when I read it. But offended? Not in the slightest.

Anyway, back on topic. Urm...I can't think of anything else to say about wet dreams. La la la...carry on.
aldis
Most people may be idiots, but if you believe it seriously you may turn into one…

Asking what???

I think we must explore the dream-desire connection again. Why we dream in the first place? Cause dream defragment our brain. Most alcoholic, or substance abusers suffer deprivation of Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep.

Thus is the proverb of “Drunk’s Dreamless Slumber”….

It’s said that majority of dreaming occur when we are in Rapid Eye Movement (REM) Sleep. It’s the third and most critical phase of our sleep.

And it is proven that nocturnal emission mostly occur in this particular period. So dream is a very important part of this puzzle… No dream, No Wet Dream?

Drunks may piss in sleep, but do they emit ??... that’s the question now…
aldis
The moment we turned to the deep Psyche, every body turned cold...
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (candice @ Aug 15 2005, 09:14 AM)
I thought from the way it was talked about in health class that it's something that happened to all boys at the onset of puberty.

Ditto. Though my Sex Ed teacher turned out to be wrong about a few things, so in retrospect, maybe I should have rethought her classes. tongue.gif

QUOTE (candice @ Aug 15 2005, 01:42 PM)
Okay...I'm female and have been menstruating for about 12 years, but that little passage there shocked meblink.gif  Far more so than a guy having a wet dream.  Menstruation always just seemed more like a private deal to me.

Me too. It's just... too disgusting to want to talk about much, let alone share it with people like that. If I can avoid thinking about it at all, I do, it's not something I need to broadcast everywhere, except possibly to warn people I might be in a bad mood.

And although my information is based on the obviously-flawed Sex Ed class... Aldis - I thought that the whole point of them being "Wet Dreams" was that they came from dreams... Or am I missing something here?
aldis
We are being derailed by outraged females....

I inadvertantly mentioned a private incident to illustrate the point how much we are ignorant of opposite sex.. now it's being cited against me. or what SexEd classes said about it....

Lets concentrate in the main topic, Nocturnal Emmission and it's psychological dimensions.............
Mata
Firstly, on this site 'we' includes women as well as the men. Secondly there has been no 'outrage', only surprise at your frankness and that of your ex.

There is no 'citing against' you. Don't try to make it seem that women are ganging up on you. If you have taken the thead down a path that people are less interested in discussing then don't be surprised that people return to a subject that is of more interest to them.

As has been discussed several times during this thread, the causes for wet dreams are almost completely unknown. You yourself argue that they rely on REM sleep, which seems like a reasonable assumption, but without empirical evidence on the subject matter of the dreams, not helped by the usual absence of memory regarding deep-dreams, it's impossible to find any further correlation there.

Drunks may have limited access to the REM sleep state, and so it would seem that, if what you have said about the link between REM and wet dreams is true, drunks are less likely to have wet dreams.

Basically all I've done there is agree with you and push your points to their logical conclusion; there wasn't any real discussion of the topic, because your focus of it was so narrow that no other conclusions could be drawn, which is why no-one was interested in pursuing it. People were more interested in the social etiquette of tampon use so they discussed that instead. That's the way it is online: people follow the line of conversation that is most interesting to them, and there is no reason that they should then be called 'outraged females' for doing this.

Sorry, have I 'derailed' your thread with a discussion of forum civility? Never mind.
markslut
had one, then awoke to the joys of fapping!
PsychWardMike
Mata just kicked. Your. Ass.

PWNED!
Astarael
Mata just owned your topic. Sorry if it got derailed, but it's more interesting now, as people have two topics to discuss. I chortle with glee. Don't have wet dreams, as I'm a girl. I don't know any guys who talk about it if they have them, and I've no idea what inspires them. I don't use tampons. Generally too much bother and mess since I found ultra-thin pads. I get obnoxious cramps, so I rarely swim when I'm on my period.
Markslut: Fapping?? I feel clueless....... blink.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Astarael @ Aug 19 2005, 09:15 PM)

Masturbating, I assume.
Astarael
I guess so. The favored slang in my area is "killing kittens." Someone on a choir tour saw a little magnet that said: "Every time you mastrubate, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens." I know that's it's a tad morbid, but it's still pretty funny. "Killing kittens" spread quickly, and most adults have no idea what it means. There's a new slang word for mastrubation every week, and I miss hearing some of them. Ah well, I'm enlightened now. Thanks!
little_bear
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Aug 20 2005, 12:46 AM)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Aug 19 2005, 09:15 PM)

Masturbating, I assume.

Aye, tis an onomatopoeic representation of the sound one makes when 'choking the chicken', as it were.
aldis
ANybody Read Da Vinci Code??

Do you think anything like psychic fixation of Eternal Feminine lead to this phenomenon??
PsychWardMike
No.

Don't be foolish.

The two things aren't even remotely connected and it's stupid to think that just because you've read a controversial (though well written) book and can throw around some of the multisylabic jargon you know everything... anything about the subject matter and it applies to everything.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 20 2005, 02:46 AM)

Do you think anything like psychic fixation  of Eternal Feminine lead to this phenomenon??

Do you mean by "this phenomenon", wet dreams?

I've not read Da Vinci Code, by the way.
little_bear
QUOTE (aldis @ Aug 20 2005, 02:46 AM)

Do you think anything like psychic fixation  of Eternal Feminine lead to this phenomenon??

It's a work of fiction ; if it has any basis in real life, then that basis would be extremely loose indeed. Engage the brain before you post.
aldis
Sir Bear,

I know a work of fiction when I read one, I am talking about the what Jung said >>Collective Unconscious<< the symbolic figures in deep psyche…

So every type has a corresponding figure (Wise old counselor, authority, mother) why there should not be a Ideal Feminine in male mind which visit him through the unconscious swirls of deep sleep slumber… to whom his hormones, primordial urges and male organ responds….

Talk about Tooth Fairy…
Astarael
Okay... it's possible to have a wet dream without dreaming about sex at all. The Da Vinvi Code makes a good thriller/adventure book and a good guide to historical artwork. However, it's not a good basis for research and the author has some bad issues with making up stuff that he can't prove about the Catholic Church. You're going pretty far out on a chain of dubious logic based on a fictional book written by someone with an anti-Catholic agenda.
Primodorial urges and male organ? For Nuggan's sake, just say horny feelings and penis.
(I'll tell you who Nuggan is if someone asks nicely.) biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Astarael @ Aug 24 2005, 09:36 PM)
(I'll tell you who Nuggan is if someone asks nicely.) biggrin.gif

Pratchett's god of losing small things or something like that. Forbids garlic, chocolate AND broccoli, much to Offler's distaste tongue.gif

/spam
pgrmdave
Jungs ideas, while they work in practice often, are not quantifiably scientific in many ways. The idea of the collective unconscious is psuedo-science at worst, and at best, it is simply the similarity of our neural pathways from birth, and the fact that people grow up within a culture. Now, I do think that the most important question in this thread, which nobody has asked is, Why do you care so much about the cause of nocturnal emmisions?
Astarael
Good question...why *do* you care so much, aldis? I think you're reading quite a lot into physchological motivations that are vague and difficult to define at best and may not exist at worst.

GothicAngel, you're pretty much right about Nuggan. He's a very crazy localized god whose abominations (among the ones you listed) are the color blue, crop rotation, haveing babies, and rocks. There were more, but I can't remember them all. New abominations are added weekly, so the Book of Nuggan is the only religious text to be kept in a three-ring binder.
Daria
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Aug 20 2005, 05:02 AM)
No.

Don't be foolish.

The two things aren't even remotely connected and it's stupid to think that just because you've read a controversial (though well written) book and can throw around some of the multisylabic jargon you know everything... anything about the subject matter and it applies to everything.

Sorry, have to argue on this point, although I won't here as it would be going even further off topic biggrin.gif
PsychWardMike
Nah. Didn't you read Mata's post? We're allowed to hijack some topics if something more interesting than a dull, anecdoteless, discussion about psychological reasonings for nocturnal emissions that is being argued by someone with no evidence or semblance of a good idea or etiquette comes about.

Was The Da Vinci Code great? No. But it was nicely written and good for a leisurely read through over holiday.
Daria
I beg to differ. The plot was predictable, the writing style annoying and although the facts interesting, I felt it could have been so much more.

You are right about the leisurely part though- it doesn't need alot of concentration to read biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 27 2005, 08:05 PM)
You are right about the leisurely part though- it doesn't need alot of concentration to read biggrin.gif

Which would explain why it was so popular amongst the youth at my school dry.gif
PsychWardMike
The thing that basically appealed to me about the book really was that it struck me like a summer blockbuster movie. However, we replace explosions with art and the muscular hero with a nerd. Was it predictable? Yes. Did Brown go out of his way for the "surprise ending?" Completely. Did it give me something to read so that I didn't have to make conversation on the plane to Europe? Totally. Did it piss the hell out of my hyper-Christian aunt that I was reading such a blasphemous book? You bet your sweet ass, baby.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.