Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grammer Nazis, critics, and sceptics...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (syuu @ Sep 12 2005, 11:05 PM)
I agree that the media's misuse of spelling and grammar is rather disheartening. I also don't like commercials that encourage text speak - such as the crunch commercial that says, Y B Plain? I wonder, Y not just spell it out?

Also, err.. *wince* Going in line with spelling and grammar, grammar's got an 'a' second to last instead of an 'e', and sceptics is spelled 'skeptics'. Thought you'd appreciate that. happy.gif

'Nuclear' is an awful word that people mispronounce all the time as well. I understand your beef with that one.

Ouch. I looked it up, and you're right... I guess nobodie's perfect... though I think I deserve an 'A' for effort... *Sigh* I'd fix that, if I knew how...

Yeah. I just can't understand how anyone can get "New Cue Ler' out of Nuclear! I mean, for a change, in the English language, the word is practically Phonetic...
Quoth(The Raven)
Have you ever noticed that the word 'Phonetic' isn't spelled Phonetically?

Onomatopoeia are words that imitate natural sounds... But the word, 'Onomatopeia' is not an Onomatopeia...

What exactly is a 'monkey shine'? How does one get a monkey to shine?

One of the most famous phrases in pop culture, "...To boldly go where no one has gone before." is actually a dangling participle, which, linguistically, is a no-no...

And, finally, when has baby talk become an acceptible form of adult communication? I refer, of course, to Ebonics, where people often 'Ax' you questions, where Cheap costume jewelry is called 'Bling', Or worse, 'Bling bling', and where anybody can be a poet, if they just add the nonsense suffix, 'Izzle' to what they say. Arrrgh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.