Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Meat?!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Introductions and where to find a guide
Barbarella
Hello! I'm new here, obviously. Just introducing myself... My name's Jen and I'm from NYC. I think Mata's absolutely brilliant! I'm glad I finally noticed there was a forum, I was beginning to think I was the only one who was into The Other Side animations(blasphemy, I know)!

Appologies in advance-- I'm not the most eloquent person, but I do type decently and I don't abbreviate often or use too many acronyms! I'm just horribly dyslexic and get confused quite easily!

My hobbies/interests include: reading, sketching, dark humour, black and white nude photography, cute sushi lunches, chocolate, Sneaker Pimps, fluffy animals, sarcasm, vodka tonics, Yasmin LeBon, anything remeniscent of 80's pop culture, Brit pop/electro, and world domination. Just for fun, I've included a photo of me eating Nick Rhodes. Well, I'm not really eating him, and it's just a necklace with his photo in, but I like pretending.

Looking forward to having quite a bit of fun here, and maybe(hopefully) making some new friends!

Cheers!
Jen

Mata
'Ello! Good choice of username there, I love that film.

You might be interested to know that Shok, the guy who does some of the music for my animations, has been working with the Sneaker Pimps recently. It's a small world.

There are certainly at least a few other people on here from the NYC region. You are not alone! Also, back when I was selling T-shirts through this site I sent many of them to various regions of NY, so there are definitely quite a few of other people who like my site out there... Somewhere in the big city... For some reason, the most popular area for buying my T-shirts from NY always seemed to be Harlem.

Anyway, welcome to my site. It's always nice to see a new person who comes pre-trained in how to use the English language correctly! wink.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
Fresh meat? I'll have mine rare!

Edit: Yeah...it's seemed funnier in my head...
Barbarella
@ mata:

Harlem?! That's so odd to me, Harlem is very... urban, in the American sense/abuse of the word. If forced to guess, I'd think you'd recieved a lot of orders from Brooklyn or Manhattan. Thats not important though... what IS important is that you don't sell shirts anymore. What's up with that? I was going to buy one as a birthday present for myself this year, which is why I came back to the site after a long absence, and noticed that you had no more merchandise(and lots of new animations/etc, yay!).

Ahh, Barbarella. What's not to like? Sexy blind angels, Jane Fonda in various states of undress, casual sex, the movie Duran Duran got their name from... divine, if you ask me. Ugh, that word sounds so pretentious, doesn't it? I promise not to use it anymore.

Your friend working with the Sneaker Pimps doesnt surprise me. There had to be a reason why the music in some of your animations appealed to me so much... same general good taste, I suppose. I met Chris Corner last year when he came to the US to perform in his solo project, IAMX. He told us Sneaker Pimps were working on some new stuff with a female singer, but it seems like ages since then. Do you happen to know if they'll be coming out with some new stuff anytime soon? IF so, they'll probably go on tour, which gives me the perfect excuse to finally go to England since they don't come here often! I'm assuming since your friend works with them, they're working on something and I can expect something before I start getting gray hairs.

Ok, I'm droning. Sorry for grilling/text smothering you, I got all school-girl excited there for a few moments when I saw you'd replied.
Mata
I did some work for a TV station in the UK a few years ago. In our first meeting they said 'Our station is aimed at a young urban audience. You know... Black kids'. Things didn't really go much upwards from there!

The merchandise thing: basically there's a company in the UK making the T-shirts for me and distributing them to UK shops. I may start up my online shop again after my PhD (in fact I probably will) but at the moment I just don't have the time to run it. The company, Blue Banana, have tried to get my stuff to the US but there's a whole big thing with China going on that's making the world market really jumpy. It might still happen yet, but I'd be surprised if it happened before Christmas at the very, very earliest.

Barbarella: I agree, what's not to like? It probably explains a lot about me that it was a formative influence on my fragile young mind!

Sneaker Pimps: As far as I know there will be new stuff coming out at some point soon-ish, but I don't know dates. Next time he's around I'll ask him for you. He's based in Hollywood, so they might be based over there some of the time at the moment.

School-girl excitement: biggrin.gif
Barbarella
"I did some work for a TV station in the UK a few years ago. In our first meeting they said 'Our station is aimed at a young urban audience. You know... Black kids'. Things didn't really go much upwards from there!"

Over here, it's used to describe anyone/anything/any community who/that's into the whole hip hop/rap culture, which happens to be largely black AND hispanic. This occured to my still-young mind only when some kids that appeared to be of hispanic descent, dressed in full on hip hop gear, were standing outside of an Urban Outfitters store while I was smoking a cigarette. They were talking about how horrible the store was and that it had NOTHING "urban" in it at all. This confused me. The store is VERY urban/trendy/etc to me... and then I realised that Urban must've become synonymous with ghetto/rap/hip-hop somehow. LATER I realised that NYC is "generous" in their use/abuse of "urban" being synonymous with all those things.

Moving away from that topic, lest it get too serious, or worse yet, I put my foot in my mouth since I'm not the best at expressing myself and my vocabulary is horrendous.

Thanks for letting me know about the pimps thing. All I needed to hear is that they're doing something soon, I appreciate the info! Do let me know if you happen to find out anything else, but no big deal, of course biggrin.gif

Have a good afternoon, Mata!
Moosh
Good morning and congratulations on being member number 1968!

I'm sure lots of other people will be along shortly to welcome you to your new home on the 'net, so all that remains for me to say is: Alas gallinaceas de urbe bovis volo
Barbarella
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Aug 23 2005, 10:58 AM)
Good morning and congratulations on being member number 1968!

I'm sure lots of other people will be along shortly to welcome you to your new home on the 'net, so all that remains for me to say is: Alas gallinaceas de urbe bovis volo

Thank you. That's funny, Barbarella came out in 1968! Go figure!
SPEAKERfortheLOST
YEARG!

*pulls out duct tape and tapes Barbarella to the ceiling*

welcome...

be aware for low flying cats and me...

we're mostly harmless....

we swear...
Samorine
Hello, welcome to the forums. =)

We're all reasonably friendly people, and Mata definitely doesn't have the God-complex. You'll see him around here as much as anyone else =P.

Always nice to have some fresh, juicy, literate meat...

Make sure you don't run off a few days in!
Mata
QUOTE (Samorine @ Aug 23 2005, 10:40 PM)
We're all reasonably friendly people, and Mata definitely doesn't have the God-complex.

Nope. Definitely no God-complex here. Nu-uh. Never. Not a trace. unsure.gif
Barbarella
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 24 2005, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (Samorine @ Aug 23 2005, 10:40 PM)
We're all reasonably friendly people, and Mata definitely doesn't have the God-complex.

Nope. Definitely no God-complex here. Nu-uh. Never. Not a trace. unsure.gif

Riiiiiight... *dubious cyber-glance at Mata*
froggle-rock
*waves*

Hey there Barbarella, I was looking around my room for something to offe ryou as a welcoming gift.. I found this unpoped popcorn *holds out* biggrin.gif

Hope you enjoy the forums. I hadn't know about the forums for ages either, so when I found them it was like 'Wow, there are _alot_ alot of people looking at Mata's stuff. I've been her for just over a year now, and my only wish is that I'd found it sooner. wink.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
Matazone: Come for the Mittens, stay for the Chaos...
Astarael
Welcome and have fun! *holds out olive oil to get the duct tape off* Glad to see that you know how to use the English language already! Do wander around and try not to fear my long-winded rants. They're for your own good, you know. How else will you ever learn to cope with crazy people in the real world? rolleyes.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
One of my favorite jokes:

New Yorker: What do you think of Flushing, New York?
Out of Towner: I think it's a good idea...

tongue.gif
Astarael
Quoth, your sense of humor is one notch above this:
Knock-knock!
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
Don't cry, it's only a joke!
Oh dear... kindergarten jokes... I have to run away!
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Sep 4 2005, 04:22 PM)
Quoth, your sense of humor is one notch above this:
Knock-knock!
Who's there?
Boo.
Boo who?
Don't cry, it's only a joke!
Oh dear... kindergarten jokes... I have to run away!

Slander! Ack! *Clutches at heart* Goodbye, cruel world! *Faints* laugh.gif
Astarael
A pun is the very lowest form of humor, after all. I shy away from puns the way most sane people shy away from reading the entire encyclopedia. Although there is always that crazy guy who *did* read the whole encyclopedia...
Quoth(The Raven)
ANY form of humor is only as good as the one telling the joke... I normally stay away from puns, because it takes a very clever and nimble mind to keep them fresh. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the effort people put into them...
eleraama
Oh, come on, don't pretend like you've never clicked on Random Page in Wikipedia just to read something...
voices_in_my_head
*hands Barbarella a kitten*

Welcome!
silvermoon
But Wikipedia is different! I can start out on one article, then get distracted by a link, and I just keep reading and reading because it's always so fascinating to learn new things, and next thing I know it's a couple hours later... quit staring at me!
Astarael
I actually clicked on a random link once and wound up reading an obnoxious ("all witches are burning in hell if they don't start loving Jesus" type of thing) statement to witches by some intolerant arsebucket of a preacher and then the rebuttals from some online Wiccans and other various pagans. Be the time I was done, it was three hours later. The whole thing was quite thought-provoking and fun.
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Sep 5 2005, 04:25 PM)
Although there is always that crazy guy who *did* read the whole encyclopedia...

Yeah, he's called "Winner" on 'Jeopardy'... tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.