Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Faceless and Tragick vs Burning Regret
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Righteous
On occasion, I perform with my friends' band Faceless Emotion. They're a metal band (no suprise). A few weeks ago, they performed with a hardcore band called Burning Regret. Metal and hardcore don't mix around here (usually). Not only that, Burning Regret had this guy whom I would akin to a hype guy at rap shows. He talked...and talked...and talked...and talked about how much he loves Jesus. I'm all for witnessing, but it KILLED the crowd. It didn't help that he was standing right in front of the vocalist jumping aound, screaming and throwing down. Dub (vocals, Faceless Emotion) tried to bring him aside to tell him how what he was doing was killing the band's stage presence (there were a lot of people shouting "boring" and "Get off the stage" and "You look like an idiot" etc.). After about a tenth of a second, the guy cut Dub off and put his hand in Dub's face. Dub didn't take kindly to this.

This is where I should point out that since we play there all the time and know management, we pretty much pwn the place. Burning Regret, who isn't close to management, doesn't play there as much and isn't from the area, does not pwn the place.

That said, I was on a quest to find Dub and Jay (guitar/vocals, Faceless Emotion) and asked one of the staff members where they were. THe first thing out of his mouth was, "Dub so disrespected the guy from Burning Regret blah blah blah." I eventually found Dub and Jay and told them about what the guy had said. They were less than pleased. I was later told that the staff member asked Dub to come speak with the hype guy, however the hype guy brought all of his boys, who apparently had it in for Dub thanks to Monkeyboy the hype guy.

Why the long rant, you ask? Here's why:

On the 9th, Faceless Emotion featuring Tragick the Clown will be performing at Nexus. Awesome. WHo's headlining? Burning Regret. Not awesome. We've expressed a lot of discontent over this, however, the booker's hands are tied. We're not quite sure how to handle this. We're thinking of destroying the place and stealing the show. Our inspiration: Mushroomhead. I'll pull a Stitch and rile the crowd the Hell up and, of course, do some vocals and poems. I'm going all out with electrical tape, glow-in-the-dark makeup, a re-vamped look (with the jacket, of course), my S&M chain and "FACELESS" written on my knuckles. Dub is doing something along the same lines, except he's painting black tears under his eyes. Jay's been thinking about maybe doing clown makeup in honor of Tragick. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

THe main concern I have is how Burning Regret will react to us, based on what happened the last time we performed together. I'm not sure if we have reason to worry or not. As I've said, we're not liking the idea of performing with a bunch of crowd killing, show ruining twats (the three reasons why we're going all-out). We'll do it, but we're sketchy on them. I dunno. Am I worrying too much or going about things the wrong way?
Astarael
Not really sure if there's a good or delicate way to handle this, but the other band sounds like a group of utter jerks. Try talking it out with the whole band away from a concert. Explain to them as calmly as you can what they're doing wrong and that you want them to stop being so stupid. Listen to any concerns they may have and try to settle things, but somehow they sound like rude little brats who have issues sharing the spotlight, so they might not listen like reasonable people.
Upstaging them is good if they won't cooperate, but don't make your band look bad in the process. Be interesting, loud, and fun. If the Jesus witness guy has a separate microphone, hiding it without letting him know who hid it could be fun. Overpower them with your stage presence.
If the combined gig goes badly anyway, don't perform with them anymore. They can't ruin your stage presence if they're not on the stage with you. I've never been in a band, so this is just my advice based on human nature and how people act so far as I know. Best of luck with your problem! smile.gif
Mata
I'm mostly with Astarael on this one: communication is probably the key to sorting this out, not necessarily deliberately going all-out to rile them.

How about trying to get in contact with Burning Regret and trying to talk to them about this? If you put it into an email then no-one can interrupt you. Letters also work the same way.

The alternative, as mentioned above, it to blow them off the stage with a great gig then make sure that you guys headline next time and get first choice about who you don't want to play with!
Righteous
When it comes to the actual contacting/talking to Burning Regret, we're leaving that up to Dub since he's the main guy involved. If he needs us, we're here.

The booker said he'd try to reschedual, but I'm honestly not optemistic about it. As I said before, his hands are tied. He is a good guy, though, and understands where we're coming from.

Burning Regret or not, we're still going all-out. I'm going to be reading multiple poems and possibly collaborate with the band to do a duet with Dub. The problem is time and the fact that only a few of us have cars and that they live in the next town over and gas is effing expensive.

For what it's worth, here's the re-vamped look I was talking about. And do not adjust your monitors! That is indeed an acoustic guitar I am holding! A blue one, none-the-less! The guys from Faceless have helped me re-learn how to play guitar after my hands started screwing up. When I get my own set, I'll be playng it because, regardless of how metal I am, I am an acoustic whore.

Instead of jeans or my black pants, I'm wearing my old black jumpsuit tied around the waist with a top hanging down. I also wear a black wifebeater, the jacket, electrical tape, my S&M chain and, of course, "FACELESS" on my knuckles. It took me a few days to come up with the new makeup scheme, but I'm glad I put as much thought into it as I did.
Mata
QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 30 2005, 03:14 AM)
gas is effing expensive.

Ah, you Americans and your crazy ideas of what 'expensive' is in regards to fuel:

On Sunday July 10th, the UK average price of Unleaded fuel passed the 4 a gallon barrier for the first time ever. Average prices for all regions are now over 4 a gallon.

From http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/

4.00 GBP = 7.13919 USD

On topic: what's a 'wifebeater'? In the UK that's slang for a beer called Stella Artois, mainly due to its ability to turn men into fight-crazed idiots (because it's got strange enzymes in it to make it brew faster) with predictable results for those around them. It's also the UK's best selling beer, which explains a lot about street violence statistics over here. I doubt you'll be wearing a pint of beer, so what's a wifebeater?
Usurper MrTeapot
Stella Artois is called wife beater because of Street Car Named Desire. Stanley (the wife beater) is famed for shouting "Stella", hense why the bear is called wife beater. But he also tears his shirt, traditionally a sleeveless vest top type thing, and that has adopted the name wife beater also.
Righteous
THe shirt I'm wearing in the pic is called a wifebeater. THere's a proper name for it, but I've no clue what that is. I love them, but I can't much anymore or else my folks will see my ink.

And Mata, I live in a rural area where things are very spread out and we have to drive everywhere. We've no semblence of public transportation here either. That and most of my friends work joe jobs that are less than lucrative. If my larping buddies didn't live on the way from our GM's house and my house, I've no clue what we do.
Astarael
Very excellent pictures. I love the makeup and the blue acoustic guitar is definitely cool. It reminds me a bit of the green guitar that the Emerald Rose lead singer has. The jacket is perfect, as is the rest of the outfit. Hope that your band completely owns Burning Regret and that you never have to perform with the twits again. If they keep ticking people off and being boring then perhaps they won't be as popular and they won't get to headline anywhere else. If they do, maybe you can have better luck with booking away from them. Let us know how all this comes out. Good luck at the concert and hopefully many more to come! smile.gif
http://www.emeraldrose.com/weblog/logancontemplates.JPG
That be the best picture of the green guitar that I have. Enjoy!
(Wow, my 100th post already! Only 9900 left till 10000...... biggrin.gif )
beleraphon
Its going to be hard to convince the event organisers you are to be taken seriously if you do something dumb like start a row with the headline band.

go and explain to the event organisers about the incident at your previous gig, they will not want some little idiot yelling into the crowd about his faith like that and souring the evening. Its then up to them to stop him and sort the situation out, not you.

good luck - hope it goes well!
Astarael
Probably a good idea, but if the organizers appointed Burning Regret as the headline group, then Burning Regret will probably get more respect for their opinions. The organizers might be willing to listen, but maybe Burning Regret has a different type of show planned from the one they did with Faceless Emotion. This hypothetical alternate show might be better and more fun, or maybe the organizers truly like the whole "scream for Jesus" thing. Trying to be cooler and more fun to get more crowd attention doesn't seem like starting a row to me. Surely everyone expects the bands to show off and do their best so that people will watch them more than the other bands. Showboating but keeping it professional (not cussing at or fighting with the other band) may be a good way to handle this if they don't behave better. Again, good luck with the show! Be sure to let us know how the whole thing turns out.
Righteous
Burning Regret is bigger in an area sense, but Faceless is a major deal around here and Tragick is more-or-less a familiar name. That's one thing we have on our side; this is our turf. We're tight with the manager/booker and I even handle the door and security (free of charge) when I'm not performing. He knows of the whole deal and doesn't want any tensions among us and, God forbid, the many Faceless fans and the girlfriends and friends of Burning Regret.

Our focus lately has, strangely had nothing to do with Burning Regret. Dub, Jay and I were all dumped in rapid succession and have a buttload of stress going on in our lives outside of it. It's a situation kinda like this:

Jay: I want to do "Dead to Me." I want to do it hard and I want Tragick to scream on the chorus.
Ri/Tragick: Dude, I have this love poem I want to read beforehand. After I'm done, I'm gonna rip it up.
Dub: Can we do "A Different Kind of Pain" by Cold? We need to. God, I might cry onstage.
Ri/Tragick: Damn, we have a lot of sh*t we need to get out.
Jay: Oh, dude. Tell me about it.

So for us, regardless of whom we're playing with, it is our full intention to tear the place apart. We don't really want to sort the situation out; we just want to do a damn good show and get out a lot of anger and feelings in the process.

In regards to the preachiness, I once talked about this with a girl who stops by the club on occasional. I had a folder full of poems with me. I reached in and pulled out five saying, "This is how I get 'preachy. At least I can keep it down to a handful of poems."

EDIT: Oh, and for those of you who haven't seen it, here are some examples of the old Tragick look.

EDIT EDIT: I've seen them twice before. Their show never changes.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 30 2005, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 30 2005, 03:14 AM)
gas is effing expensive.

Ah, you Americans and your crazy ideas of what 'expensive' is in regards to fuel:

On Sunday July 10th, the UK average price of Unleaded fuel passed the 4 a gallon barrier for the first time ever. Average prices for all regions are now over 4 a gallon.

From http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/

4.00 GBP = 7.13919 USD

On topic: what's a 'wifebeater'? In the UK that's slang for a beer called Stella Artois, mainly due to its ability to turn men into fight-crazed idiots (because it's got strange enzymes in it to make it brew faster) with predictable results for those around them. It's also the UK's best selling beer, which explains a lot about street violence statistics over here. I doubt you'll be wearing a pint of beer, so what's a wifebeater?

As an aside to this, remember that the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon.

1 UK gallon ~ 4.5 litres
1 US gallon ~ 3.8 litres.
Therefore, your maths is wrong: need to scale for the difference.

So, 4.00 GBP per UK gallon is 3.40 GBP per US gallon.
So, what we pay in the UK is about US$6.24 per US gallon (for comparison reasons).

Incidentally, no fluid measures are the same between the UK and the US. The reason for this is that there used to be 2 different gallons, a 'wine gallon' and an 'ale gallon'. The US standardised on one, and we standardised on the other. (more info here)
Righteous
Hey, which makeup should I go for, the I'm-a-scary-mofo-who-glows-in-the-dark-bitch makeup, which cracks and runs or the you-ain't-rubbin'-this-sh*t-off-me-bitch makeup, which doesn't glow and doesn't cover as well? My brother suggested I lay the you-ain't-rubbin'-this-sh*t-off-me-bitch on as a base then lay over the I'm-a-scary-mofo-who-glows-in-the-dark-bitch makeup.

I'll put up some pics when I can get them done.
Feyliya
I agree with your brother. If ya'll are going all out for this gig, take the extra time to layer it. And deffinitely post pics!
Righteous
Here is the you-ain't-rubbin'-this-sh*t-off-me-bitch makeup after a frolick in the rain. Here is the I'm-a-scary-mofo-who-glows-in-the-dark-bitch makeup with the lights on, and then...presto, bitch! Black light responsiveness, bitch!

EDIT: I have a big, God damn nose!
elphaba2
I am emitting an "eep".

/shameless spam
Feyliya
Oh yeah, that'd look really sweet layered. Randy agrees.

And you nose isn't THAT big. I've seen worse. The size of your nose just matches the rest of your face. And I mean that in a nice way, really.
beleraphon
Is your music death-rock / black-metal ?

Don't see that much very heavy 'facepaint' style makeup in the UK on any other genre as far as I'm aware, and it seems to clash a bit with what you mentioned earlier about reading poetry to your audience!

*not meaning to be offensive here, just interested, sorry if thats badly phrased*
Righteous
Well, Bel, I love acoustic guitars, acoustic drums, piano and very melodic singing, however, I am also a fan of electronic drums, heavy distortion and effects on guitar, weird keyboard stuff and I'm trying to learn to scream. When it comes to influences, imagine Cold, Mushroomhead, Orgy, the Smashing Pumpkins, Black Sabbath, Philler, Living Sacrifice, Dope and the Cure put into a blender then poured into the head of a poetic clown. Draw your own conclusions.

The guys from Faceless are gretal, the bastard child of grunge and metal. Imagine a very emotional, aggressive Soundgarden after a three-year, non-stop tour with Nirvana, Pantera, Godsmack, Cold, HIM and the Rat Pack.

I wear the clown makeup to hide behind. We all hide in some form or fasion; I'm just upfront about it. It helps me to be myself, as well as to show what we really are: vulgar fools waiting for our time in the spotlight. People take to it a lot better than my old nu-metal/shock rock look; it's a lot warmer and more inviting (and it doesn't look like complete sh*t).

I will admit that I like how it adds a theatrical element, but I'm not a big fan of stage shows based purely on shock; it takes away from the music. I also dislike it when bands take it too seriously (*cough* ICP *cough*). I take Tragick seriously; the look is just the icing on the cake (Hell, until recently, the look was my look with facepaint). Mudvayne change their look every album and did the Summer Sanitarium tour in tee shirts and jeans. My look is not why I'm onstage. I'd rather be known for my music, poetry and being a cool guy than my stageshow. That's how I am with Mushroomhead. I love their stageshow, but I went to see them because their music kicks the Hell ass, inadvertainly finding out that they are kick-ass guys.

That last paragraph originally had a point.
beleraphon
Well, you went round in a few circles but you got there in the end!
Righteous
Good news. Burning Regret will not be playing tomorrow night. In fact, the next time they play will be a night where I'll be at another show. Kick-ass. Thanks, cats. I'll be sure to bring back a buttload of pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.