Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Passion.
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Watching Instinct this evening (Anthony Hopkins, fantastic film) and it got me thinking.

For many, many years I've had a fixation with Gorillas (always capital G in my head). I love they way they look, the way they live and just everything about them. Not only that - I've researched them. I know how they build their nests, mate, how the community is set up and even exactly how their spours look (it's like a triangle made from three prongs). I can't watch Gorillas in the Mist because I cry my heart out every time.

I realised that they are a passion of mine, one I thought I'd grown out of. Of all things that have changed over the years it's been my one constant. My biggest dream has always been to travel to Africa and watch the Gorillas. When I'm rich, I will do that.

So, what has been the constant passion in your life? Music, film, animal, mineral or whatever. Everyone must have something that just catches their interest and then they can talk about that one topic for hours.

What sets you off?
PsychWardMike
Music in general, really. I love to listen to it, I love to play it, I love to write it. Music = t3h rawk.
Kitty
Excluding my new found hobby.... (sewing) which I really cant talk about for hours, but really like anyhow....

I'd say people. I love to go places and just sit and watch people and wonder why they act the way they act and walk the way they walk.... If they spent a minute getting dressed this morning or half an hour.... I like learning about the psychology of people and why we supposodly think the way we think and all that.... I havent really done as much with my intrest as I could, I havent acctually read any psychology books or taken any classes but I plan to very very soon....

Heh, I just realized that just now.... thanks for starting the topic Snugglebum
trunks_girl26
As corny as it may sound, I've found that loving is my passion. I love to love people, and I love making them happy.

Singing too, is also a passion of mine, probably because it seems to make others happy, which in turn makes me happy too happy.gif
gothictheysay
Reading. Ever since I was small, I would sit up in my room with a book or two for hours. I don't read as much as I used to, or would like to, but I certainly haven't stopped.

There are others, like music (I mostly listen and do sing a bit) and writing (which I do all sorts of, but none of it's much good), but reading is probably my strongest. smile.gif
uninspired pizza guy
My passion wold be learning, if im not learning, i feel although im taking backwards steps. If i dont know something, i just have to find it out.
Funny, concidering that i was a class clown in school.
Tarantio
Definitely games most of all, but I can talk and talk and talk about books, movies and music as well. Its rare that I find someone other than my close friends that can sit with me and talk about all the sort of games I can talk about, so I kinda branched out into things that other people can talk back to me about.

That said, I can also go into a heck of a lot of other subjects in minute detail as well, its just that very few of them are interesting in any way (things like military history, technology, politics when I can be bothered watching the news).

Actually, I'd have to say that behind games and stories, my biggest passion would have to be knowledge, in any form. I love knowing things, though not a lot of people are happy to listen to me trying to share them wink.gif
funky fairy
I just love talking. If I can't talk to a real person then I'll talk on the tinternet!!
My mum always says the only exercise I get is when I talk!!!

I have muscley lips!!!!
{Gothic Angel}
Since I was very small, music. Always. I can talk about it for hours, theory and practical sides of it. I love to sing, play, listen, read, anything. I spend most of my wages on CDs, scores and I obsess over music in a way I've rarely seen people obsess over partners and lovd ones. If I was bad when I was little, I never got grounded or anything, I just got my keyboard taken away.

More recently, poi (and fire twirling, fire sticks, whatever, but mostly poi). Graceful and elegant are not really words which could be used to accurately describe me in general, so it's just nice to feel like I can be those things on occasion; with poi, I can. It's also good stress releif - it gives me the physical release that I can't get so much from music and refuse to get from sport.

I also used to have an almost religious obsession with myths, legends and folklore, though not so much anymore, from any country, in much the same way as Tara- I just liked knowing things about them, it interests me.

I just have an obsessive personality tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
I surpose my passion is finding out how and being able to make things. I have a tendency to lean towards olld skills and finding out how to do that. I can make jewellery not just bead work soldering and hammering bit of metal together and things like that, I can make clothes and generally sew, I can make chain mail which was an off shoot of the jewellery, I can do ceramics and glass to a degree, not had much to with wood but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. I kind of collect skills, I'm kind of like Tara and GA I'm interested in knowing thing and finding things out.
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
My passion is any of the characters and storylines I've created. A lot of them are confusing and deep and I could really go on for hours. Another passion of mine is 80's music. It's hard to get me to shut up about that.
CommieBastard
Go on for hours and hours?

Seriously, name a subject. I collect knowledge. Would you like to hear about role-playing games? I would love to tell you about role-playing games. When I'm holding court on some subject that captures my interest, I can talk and talk until your eyes glaze over.
depressed lonely crazy person
from age 12 -Music
Music, genre, technicals of it, image of performers, perfomances, clips, artist dynamics, music culture, performers who are in several bands, fashions, music movements, icky 1991 musician hair, etc

lately(age 15) which I havn't been able to ramble and rant about-sewing
Sewing-period clothes, construction, fabrics, bargains, undergarments, cheaper ways to do and make things and good ways to make modifications.

To myself in the last year- relationship dynamics
In both friend and sexual relationship situations
Daria
The earth, and my connection with it. Also how music can get you to a different level emmotionaly and mentaly. I can go on about that for ages. And the sea. And woods. And vegetarianism.

I'm just a big 17 year old hippy at heart...
But with more intention of actually doing something biggrin.gif
Hobbes
As is common with many people here: music. Listening, playing (piano), singing and, more recently, writing (or attempting to).

I also have a keen interest in dreams (of the sleeping variety). I have not really followed this through very much recently, but in past years I have actively kept diaries of all the things i've dreamt, and have done a little independent research on the science behind it. It is something I would like to explore more, and it is still a passion, I just haven't done much with it recently.

There are many other things, like 'dreams' above, which I have been hugely into at one stage, and then they have just falled by the wayside. So I'll leave them out.

Really, it is just music i suppose... my "passion".
Plenty of other stuff I like though tongue.gif

QUOTE (Silver Star Angel of Da Towers @ Sep 2 2005, 04:48 PM)
Another passion of mine is 80's music. It's hard to get me to shut up about that.

Heh... I know the feeling tongue.gif
little_bear
QUOTE (funky fairy @ Sep 2 2005, 12:08 PM)
I have muscley lips!!!!

Nggh! Must. Resist. Fellatio. Reference!

My passion is innuendo and sport. Sometimes combined together. But, seriously, I absolutely love sport. Of any kind; be it athletics or rowing, whatever. I love to play it and I love to watch it. There's something 'liberating' about it IMO - it allows me to forget all my worries and concentrate on one thing. Being a competitive person also means that I enjoy the win. Rar! *beats chest*
Hobbes
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:28 PM)
My passion is sport.

Oh! I forgot. My newest passion is squash. I've only been playing for about a year, and only regularly for about 8 months. But I love it. I forgot to mention it because, traditionally, it is ridiculous for me to ever mention I enjoy a sport. But squash is great.

Someone build me a squash court in my garden.

NOW
little_bear
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Sep 3 2005, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:28 PM)
My passion is sport.

Oh! I forgot. My newest passion is squash. I've only been playing for about a year, and only regularly for about 8 months. But I love it. I forgot to mention it because, traditionally, it is ridiculous for me to ever mention I enjoy a sport. But squash is great.

Someone build me a squash court in my garden.

NOW

Ahem brother. I recently beat my squash partner for the first time ever; a victory made all the more sweet by the fact that he's a cocky git. But, God, it's knackering.
Righteous
Art, as in the following:

Music
Body modification
Animations
Painting
Sculpting
Drawing
Cinematography
Drama
Literature (be it reading or writing)
Poetry
Architecture
Anything else art oriented that I've forgotten

I love skating, be it watching skate videos, playing Tony Hawk games or busting my ass on a board.

I love psychology. It's fun. Humans are sick, twisted idividuals and it's strangely entertaining.

My friends and family mean the world to me. I guess you can call that a passion.
Hobbes
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:49 PM)
Ahem brother.  I recently beat my squash partner for the first time ever; a victory made all the more sweet by the fact that he's a cocky git.  But, God, it's knackering.

^ That could be me saying that: I too have begun beating my squash partner in the last two or three months. And everytime I manage to beat him, he gets rather upset.

Aaaah... the satisfation.

*glows*
mooooooooooopo
Hmm. I could probably come up with quite a lot:

Roleplaying/boardgames - They probably shouldn't be in the same category but both are things I enjoy, though roleplaying is a recent one and one I don't get change to do as often as I like since the people I play with are at home and I'm usually away at uni.
Music - from as many sides as possible, though I suck at the playing part, slightly less at the writing part. Synthesisers and the programming thereof are one of the things I really like but also something I've only recently got into doing. I'm tempted to get myself a MIDI guitar since you have the coolness of a guitar and nifty synth sounds. I'd probably suck at playing it. Strangely I listen to a lot of rock and metal but have a habit of making excessively weird electronica.
Programming - the computer kind. It's been compared to poetry in that it's creative but doesn't really exist in the physical world. Kind of like how building things is fun but with an infinitely large supply of bits. I generally like making games but do more serious stuff since I can make money doing it. I made a really simple game in a weekend a while ago, it's available from here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/moopste/8653.html
Building/designing things - creating stuff that works is fun, mostly the building part, though designing things is good too. I recently got into radio controlled model planes which builds on that and has the added goodness that you can fly them too.
Diabolo - Kind of like {Gothic Angel} and Poi, I think the diabolo rocks. I've had one for about 10 years or something but only really remembered I had it 2 years ago. Since then I've gotten rather good at it and it's a fun thing to do and relieves stress. Nothing like pulling off a 6 trick combo which makes people blink and contains tricks nobody else has even seen before (I seem to invent a few tricks myself) to make you feel good. I've recently got a second diabolo and just about managed to start off with 2, shuffling them on the string is pretty hard but learning new stuff is fun.
Knowledge - I like to know stuff, more precisely I hate not knowing stuff or partially knowing stuff. I think this has something to do with my hate of rote learning. I like to know things from first principles up since it makes the knowledge a lot more useful when it comes to trying to cope with a situation different but similar to the ones you're used to.

Alternative operating systems might count too - BSD > *, after all.

Wow - that was all a bit longwinded and probably sheds a little too much light on my excessive geekery.
PsychWardMike
God, I can't believe I forgot video games. And writing. Really, with music, the three culmnate not only into what I want to do with my life, but what I like to do now. Of course any one who knows me or has ever seen me post on this board knows my video game passions lie in Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, and pretty much all Capcom games, and anyone that's seen me in my local coffeehouse, school literary magazine, or the Creations Board kows I like to write poetry and prose. I can talk about all three for hours, but I'd prefer to do them as well.

I like coffee, too, but I

a ) don't want to talk about it for hours
b ) can't talk about it for hours
c ) don't know anyone who would want to talk about it for hours and
d ) would rather talk about the above three over a cup of coffee.
Kitty
QUOTE (Righteous @ Sep 3 2005, 03:55 PM)
Art, as in the following:

Music
Body modification
Animations
Painting
Sculpting
Drawing
Cinematography
Drama
Literature (be it reading or writing)
Poetry
Architecture
Anything else art oriented that I've forgotten

I love psychology. It's fun. Humans are sick, twisted idividuals and it's strangely entertaining.

My friends and family mean the world to me. I guess you can call that a passion.

From the two posts of yours I've read today we're extreamly alike.
Though this could be deceiving.

Anyhow, I left alot of things out in my last post but yours reminded me of somethings

I love writing poetry, though I havent lately because I've been crappy at it lately. I could probably talk about it for a long time as long as we werent directing it twards the 'favorite poets' area because I'm not big on reading poetry. Unless someone gives a certain poem to me, then I love to read and analyze. I have a book of poetry and I get overwhlemed by having so much emotion there in tantalyzing words that take me a bit longer to decipher than it would take to read prose.

Books, I love talking about books. I havent read much of what anyone likes to talk about. THough I love to take suggestions and buy the book and think about reading it tongue.gif

I use to love art class. Clay was my favorite because I got to make something that would be usefull (I made a heart shaped dish sort of thing that I keep spare change in now, though now that I look at it it was rather unsillfully made....) Painting is fun though I dont do it much

I love to draw but usually only do it when I'm bored in class or when I take a day off and spend it sitting in starbucks working up an insane caffine high. I draw some fairly strange sketches sometimes.

My first drama experiance was reciting a scene of Romeo and Juliette last year. It was the scene where Mercutio talked about Queen mab. But I did the whole scene tongue.gif I'm not sure if I acctually acted it out good, but I did a hell of alot better than anyone else would have been able to! I loved it ^^; Since that I havent really done much in the drama area though I would love to so much.

Body modification if you're counting corsets. No waist training as of yet, though. I keep repeircing the third hole in my ears but I dont have an earring to put in it so they close up.... I'm silly.

I love to _think_ about stuff to do with me and this one guy. Mostly psychological things and how we act and relate to eachother. Though sometimes I end up on gooey sappy stuff tongue.gif

I like sewing. Its becoming a passion, the problem is I dont have the money to fund it. I tend to do Renaissance and want to expariment with earlier renaissance instead of later renaissance but I dont have the money right now. I plan on branching out into victorian since I have this really nicely made victorian corset now.... yaayy

I think thats it....
Astarael
- Reading anything of fantasy, science fiction, or historical fiction. I love telling people about really good books or whining about how much I hated really bad books. (Don't ever get me started on C.S. Lewis wannabe "Jesus loves the good guys" people who write Christian conversion masquerading as bad fantasy. EVER.)
- Doing enormously complex jigsaw puzzles all by myself. I hate it when people try to interfere or "help" me so that they can claim that they did it too. These people have a special level of hell reserved just for them.
- Posting here. This is recent, but my friends are already asking me to shut up about this place.
- Playing hard stuff on the piano. I'm rather obsessed with classical right now.
- Any sort of roleplaying game on the computer. I love the Baldur's Gate set and the various expansions that keep branching off. I play RuneScape more than I should.
Righteous
Oh, and larping. We don't get to do it as much as we'd like, but dammit, when we do, it kicks ass.

The Internet. 'Nuff said.

Going back to the art thing, everything and anything involving Tragick.
LoLo
Ever since I can remember it has to be art. When I was a kid it was hard to keep me from drawing on my walls, in my books, on my siblings, what have you.

As I got older I moved into more fields, such as sculpture, my favorite of which being making lifesize sculptures of people or things out of aviary wire and paper machet (sp?) or plaster. There is just something about getting my hands torn to shreds by the wire, then cooled off by the covering, and coming out with a final result of one big cool looking sculpture that I can pick up with no problem. The bad thing is that I can't work on those as much as I used to, due to work and school and not being able to take the week it takes to heal my hands on a regular basis.

I also am very much into digital art, which I'm working on getting better at and am going to school to do, only on a more commercial level. I like the graphic design side to this because even though it is more commercial and less creative in a personal way, it's fun solving the problem and getting an end product that is good enough to sell.

I love to solve problems too, and like many other people here I like to gather knowledge. It wasn't until I came to these boards and met so many other people who were smart, that I started to feel not as intelligent, but it pushes me to learn more.

Things I like to learn about also include, religion (even though I'm not religious in the slightest) because it interests me how and why people believe the things that they do when it comes to a higher power(s) or lack there of. I'm also fascinated by things like astrology and some things that could be classified as supersticious practices and fortune telling.

I could put down all the things that interest me, but the passion lies more in the fact that I want to learn different outlooks on these things that interest me.

Of course I also love music. I could only wish that I had the ability to play music, or sing, but I don't so I just listen to it instead. I used to pick out the new bands that would make it and the ones who would be one hit wonders when I worked at the music store, and a lot of the time I was right. I guess I just have a good ear more than anything.
I_am_the_best
My passion is probably music. More specifically, the links of music to math and of music to the mind. Why do certain chords and harmonies strike us to feel different emotions? Why does major sound happy and minor sad? Why, even though Shoshtacovich (sp???) based much of his music apon math, does it sound to me horrible? Will math sound good if you turn it into music? A couple of years ago I took the first 30 numbers of the Fibonacci sequence and converted them into ratios. I then invented an instrument with which I could hear the ratios. Mever got round to building it though. I've lost most of my notes. I have read hours into the night reading up on the subjects. Unfortunately, most of the books on the subject are horribly complicated and too difficult to understand so I've given my passion a rest until I can understand the books. However, in the mean time, I've developed a passion for the harmonograph, a simplified version of the link between music and math, but it's only a mean sliver of my investigation.
kisah
Yeah.. this is a tricky one because, as you may already know, I can talk for England. Proper. Even if I don't know a single thing about the subject. So, in no particular order, here are my (briefly introduced but not elaborated on) passions.

Anthropolgy
Music (passion-wise it's got to be West African malinke or Zimbabwean marimba)
Ferrets
Art (the kind that hangs on the wall mostly, but bits and pieces elsewhere)
Rollercoasters (We're talking height, speed, degree of hill, location...)

I really could go on about any of those things forever... except maybe the art stuff as although I get totally moist when I see something great (passion) I don't really know enough to talk my way out of a paper bag.

Edit: I feel so dirty denying knowledge, learning, and just plain being smart in my passions. But then I'd start to feel like there's more I'd left out. I mean, what about life in general?
Sir Psycho Sexy
Honestly? None that I can think of. Sure I have interests, some of them I'm quite knowledgable about I like to think, but nothing I would really consider a passion.
Calantyr
In general:

History.
Archeology.
Politics.
Philosophy.
Literature.
Folklore.

Possibly not typically thought of as 'fun' subjects, but they interest the hell out of me.

Oh, and wanking. *nods*
little_bear
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Sep 6 2005, 07:44 PM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

That's pretty much a given for any bloke, tbh.
silva-witch
My passion, well there are many things that I enjoy, I would say that 4 years ago my greatest passion was judo, I was passionate about the sport and I still have a great interest in it but I have not been training regularly since 2001, sad really as I probably would have had my brown belt by now and been training for my black. Now my greatest passion is for my family and my one passion above all is for my partner Jo she is a Goth. Wehave been together 4yrs and have recently bought our first home. I am also interested in similar things to her I like symbols and my fave is the heartagram although witches and wicca interest me. I like gothic things but I wouldn't define myself as 'Goth'. I love music across the board really but i enjoy rock most of all. I like to keep myself fit and ride my bike about 40 miles a week. We have three cats which I love dearly. smile.gif
Calantyr
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 6 2005, 07:47 PM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

Damn. There's me thinking I was unique. *sighs dramaticly*
kisah
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 6 2005, 06:47 PM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!
LoLo
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 7 2005, 07:30 AM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!

/me seconds that.
Witless
Learning.. I know that seems a vague, but when I don't learn new stuff, I tend to get upset. When I learn new stuff, I honestly do buzz, Seriously, I get a bigger buzz from finding something exciting out than from sex/food any of that stuff.

Guess I find it annoying that few people can stand to talk with the stuff I like talking about for long.

But everything I wanna do is related to new experiences and new stuff.. travelling is slowly taking over all my future plans however (but that's related to my new experiences thing).
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Witless @ Sep 8 2005, 09:50 AM)
Learning.. I know that seems a vague, but when I don't learn new stuff, I tend to get upset. When I learn new stuff, I honestly do buzz, Seriously, I get a bigger buzz from finding something exciting out than from sex/food any of that stuff.

Guess I find it annoying that few people can stand to talk with the stuff I like talking about for long.

But everything I wanna do is related to new experiences and new stuff.. travelling is slowly taking over all my future plans however (but that's related to my new experiences thing).

I know exactly where your comming from I love new experiences and travel. There is no point in actually asking me where I want to go because I'm pretty much up for going any where. Last year I wasn't sure where I was going to go on holiday or who with and some of my friends contacted me and ask if I wanted to go to Croatia my reaction was 'Ooo! not thought about going there. Cool I'm up for it.' My big aim is to go to Austraila and New Zealand for a few months. But the one me and Wyvern are working towards is a 3 week trip to America.
See you got me going off on one it's your fault I blame you!!! tongue.gif
Witless
Tee hee...

I was in Sweden earlier this year... ooo... that was so fun.
Went fishing in the big swedish lakes and everything. Swedish people are all nuts.. too!
Going to ireland this xmas, then going to norway hiking with my swedish friend next year!
CommieBastard
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 7 2005, 04:30 PM)
mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!

But in considerably smaller volume than men, if surveys are to be believed.
depressed lonely crazy person
QUOTE(kisah @ Sep 7 2005, 04:30 PM)

Girls like wanking too!

If only for stats sake I'd like to say I'm not that into it and it's certainly not a passion most people I know would talk about for hours dry.gif
little_bear
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 7 2005, 04:36 PM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!

/me seconds that.

Lies!
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Sep 8 2005, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE(kisah @ Sep 7 2005, 04:30 PM)

Girls like wanking too!

If only for stats sake I'd like to say I'm not that into it and it's certainly not a passion most people I know would talk about for hours dry.gif

....prude laugh.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Sep 8 2005, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 7 2005, 04:30 PM)
mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!

No, we just lie better than you guys tongue.gif
PsychWardMike
Better or more? laugh.gif
{Gothic Angel}
Both tongue.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 8 2005, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 7 2005, 04:36 PM)
Oh, and wanking. *nods*

mad.gif

Girls like wanking too!

/me seconds that.

Lies!

Personally I probably masturbate just as much, if not more, than most guys. The joys of being unable to get laid. laugh.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
The joys of being unable to get laid. laugh.gif

*stands up*

Hi, my name is Michelle. I also am not getting laid at present and probably masterbate more then is healthy... laugh.gif
kisah
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Sep 8 2005, 06:22 PM)

Practice makes perfect, that's what my mom always said.
Fallen Element
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Sep 9 2005, 08:08 AM)
*stands up*

Hi, my name is Michelle.  I also am not getting laid at present and probably masterbate more then is healthy...    laugh.gif

If you masturbate that much can you even stand up? tongue.gif

Anyway - my passion has to be learning about things. Cultures, people, religions, books. . . Anything really. Then I talk about it. A lot. I usually have obsessive passions where I get really focussed on one thing and it's my all-time passion. Until it wears off and I obsess about something else!

Fal xXx
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 9 2005, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Sep 8 2005, 06:22 PM)

Practice makes perfect, that's what my mom always said.

At lying or masturbating? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.