Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the mature members?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
funky fairy
When I joined this wonderful site, I was under the impression that you were all of mature years.

But I feel so old!!!

My daughter is older than some of you little wee ones!!!! No shes 13, that was a lie!

Please dont disillusion me and say you are all of school age. I need to feel like a teenager again, yeah???
bikerroc
Don't worry, I am no longer a teenager but am about 16 in the head and 18 in the body, or is that the wrong mirror I'm looking in ?
little_bear
Worry not, I may inhabit the body of a seventeen-year-old, but I have the jaded, cynical mind of a forty something. Thee are not alone.

But seriously, there are plenty of fogies around here.
funky fairy
I feel about 14, look about 94 and act about 3. I love being a numpty though!!!
{Gothic Angel}
There's probably the biggest spread of ages on this forum that I've seen anywhere. It just happens that most of us littlies are on holiday atm, so we're posting more tongue.gif

And don't underestimate the ability of the average adolescent matazonian to have a mental age in cynicism and world-weariness of a 40-year old tongue.gif

I'm 17, for the record smile.gif
funky fairy
Gothic angel, I could be your mum. Now thats bloody scary!!!!!
bikerroc
OMG. Me too!!!!!!
Usurper MrTeapot
Bearing in mind you did start the post past 10pm when most of our lovely forumites are in bed, teeth in a little glass next to them. Its a bit unfair.
CommieBastard
Where's Misty Rain been? Wasn't she 65 or something? Hey, she could be your mum, funky_fairy tongue.gif
Ashbless
Quoth(the Raven) is also older in years. Younger in spirit though. tongue.gif

I'm only 4 years behind you so I probably know what a fraggle is and remember pong when it first came out. laugh.gif

There's an irishman around the site who I believe is in his 40s. Not 100% sure on that though. huh.gif
Kitty
Aww just cuz theres alot of youngins doesnt mean nothing!

Except some bad grammar at times....

I think I'm one of the youngest on here but I havent checked lately. Who's younger than 15? tongue.gif

From what I've noticed though most people on here are very mature and can talk about any of the stuff that the older ones talk about too!

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Sep 2 2005, 07:29 PM)
and remember pong when it first came out.  laugh.gif

Except for maybe that unsure.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
Ah, yes, Pong. The most boring video game ever invented. At the time, though, it was nothing short of a miracle... blink.gif I remember playing that stupid game for... well, minutes on end...

wait for the little black square (Okay, so it was suppossed to be a ball... use you imaginations!) to Slowwllly Crrrooosss Thhhee Screeeeen, move your paddle (Actually a long black line... imagination again) to intercept the black square... The back square bounces (How a square could bounce is beyond me, but it did...)... and you wait... and wait.... and wait... for it to cross the screen, into your neighbor's territory, where they wait... and wait... and wait... and then move their little black line, bouncing the little square, and the whole thing starts again... unless you miss intercepting the square with the line... then your opponent scores one, and a new little black square comes bouncing out...

But then came the next generation of video game Pong... the "Ball" was a little rounder, the "Paddle" was shorted, and the "Ball" was one third faster! Wheee! are we having fun, yet?

and, as of last may, I am 45. Don't feel like it, though...

I also remember taking computer programming in the eighties... all that math, and then you had to punch little holes in cards. Then the computer would shuffle 'em like a Missippi riverboat Gambler... If you were lucky, and knew what you were doing... the computer might - might, mind you- draw you a little cartoon, or write out a joke... and all for five or six hours of work...

And, of course, if the cards got out of sequence, or damaged, or some of 'em got lost, you were SOL, and had to start over... If your Math didn't hold up, or the logical progression of input was off (Don't ask), all you'd get is a confused computer, and an Irate instructor....

It's so much better, today... you can do all of the above, without the math, and without the cards... and come up with your end product... an Irate instructor... in seconds!
Feyliya
I'm going to be 20 this October. Of course, mentally I've been a cynical 40-year-old since I was about 7....

And I may not know Pong, but I do know Atari! It was the only game console I grew up with (I wouldn't have had it, either, if I hadn't been given it for free). Gawd, I spent months of my life on Atari Pinball.
PsychWardMike
I don't know what the hell I am. I'm 17 but I look 21 and can act anywhere from a five year old child to a cynical old man and everywhere in between.
funky fairy
I feel so much better now, thanks you old lot!!!

I'm 37, and have a 13 year old daughter and a 9 year old son, so I tend to know what the young 'uns are talking about. And I remember Pong.

I'm also well into the 80's cos I was a teenager then, and they were the best times ever.
Well, I have to go to work now. Time to act like a grown up for a couple of hours!!!
Moosh
I may be 15 but I own an Atari 2600. I think the youngest member is little_twit at 10 or there abouts?
mooooooooooopo
Pish! Forget the Atari. ZX Spectrum > *

>_>

I'm 21 and somehow have 3 of them even though it came out 2 years before me.
bryden42
I am 28 (29 in 35 days) and i remember pong, i own 2 atari 2600 and an atari 2600 emulator for my pc. Does anyone remember the game frostbite? 'twas my favourite. I have very little care for my age or anyone elses for that matter. That is the beauty of the internet, the ability to de-segment the individual and let them stand as a personailty rather than a collection of statistics, there are lots of bad points too but I like that aspect. Hell i could be a 13 year old girl for all you know laugh.gif
Ashbless
That is the beauty. You're judged by your words and quality of posts. I remember being very impressed with a poster's argument in issues (though I now forget which topic), looking up the person in members, and finding they were quite a bit younger than I am.
In RL I may not have listened to their argument due to their age. I'd've tried to link wisdom and age. I would've missed out on an impressive train of thought.
Does that make any sense? huh.gif laugh.gif

I think little twit (10) is the youngest at the moment but I could be wrong.
Mata
I'm also 28 but I often feel like a funky grandfather on here: I've got a lot of old-fashioned attitudes about things like respect and communication, but without too much distance from being young and learning those things the hard way.

K!77y, you might have been among the youngest on the site when you started visiting years ago, but I think you're definitely straying into the average age these days. You're getting old! biggrin.gif

And yes, Misty Rain is the oldest member I know about, but some of her topics make even me blush a little! This said, there may be older members, they just haven't mentioned it.
depressed lonely crazy person
And yes, Misty Rain is the oldest member I know about, but some of her topics make even me blush a little! This said, there may be older members, they just haven't mentioned it.

Would those be the table enders or the licking yogurt off of shoes in a corset?
Snugglebum the Destroyer
QUOTE (depressed lonely crazy person @ Sep 3 2005, 04:06 PM)

Would those be the table enders or the licking yogurt off of shoes in a corset?

Not to turn it into a Misty Rain appreciation topic but my personal favourite was the pubes in the plaster comment. Priceless. wink.gif
Righteous
That's one thing I like about this forum. There's a wide-ass range of ages here. It brings a lot of color to the place.

I hang out with people of varying ages IRL, some in their early to mid teens, some old enough to be my parents. I will admit, though, I am the oldest in my larping group and the band I perform with. It's all a question of maturity. Silver Star Angel is more mature than a lot of cats my age or older IRL and OL. A lot of my fans (yes, Tragick has fans) are in their early teens, but they "get" what I write and sing, which shows maturity to me.

My thesis: Maturity is what really matters, the range of ages adds color and I'm really tired from staying up until 4:30.
Cath Sparrow
I'm coming up to 30 but alot of the people round here act alot older than I ever do and certainly know alot more than I do. Very occassionly I feel old compared to some of them but that very rarly happens. So trust me when I say forget about your age when you come on here it's not a good point of referance for comparison.
Wyvern
Well I'd hardly class myself as mature but I am 24, look about 12 and intersperse silliness with the odd period of almost sanity, does that count?
Mata
As it says in the rules of the forums, right near the beginning: "maturity is in the mind, not an age".
Daria
Does that mean that we could all be in a creche? biggrin.gif

I hate being the age I am- too young to be considered an adult, but too old to get away with childish things...

(17 if you hadn't guessed)
funky fairy
Aw Daria, I loved being 17, mind you I love being 37 too, I am too busy being daft to bother now!
Daria
The good things about being 17:-
~I can (start learning to) drive
~I can go to gigs without my mother fussing incredible amounts

The bad things about being 17:-
~I'm not allowed to argue with my little 7 year old brother
~My mother still checks up on my school work
~I'm not old enough (in my mother's eyes) to make decisions like whether to dread my hair/ get nose pierced/ dye my hair
~I realise how that with each year I get more and more like my mother
~I can't always get served... doesn't stop me trying biggrin.gif

I suppose I should embrace my youth. But there doesn't seem to be anything to grab hold of...
beleraphon
27 here

old enough to realise I don't know everything anymore!
Sir Psycho Sexy
I turned 21 a few days ago, was fun...a little unnerving but it's no 37!! tongue.gif

As for Misty, my favourite was having her nipples peirced at 65....or that she had to have them re-peirced because she wasn't as firm as she used to be.... ph34r.gif
markslut
Am 22 smile.gif and still young amoung my friends smile.gif
Astarael
I'm 16 and maybe a half. I'm not sure how old people think I am based on my posts, but I'm hoping older than I actually am. I feel mature sometimes, except when fighting with my little sister or making a very stupid mistake at something. I always feel especially mature when I see foolish boys acting as though they have no more brains than the average food processor. biggrin.gif
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 3 2005, 10:46 AM)
K!77y, you might have been among the youngest on the site when you started visiting years ago, but I think you're definitely straying into the average age these days. You're getting old! biggrin.gif

Heehh... even though I have a huge "15" plastered all over the place with my name next to it I very often forget I'm not 12 anymore.... Must embrace youth!

sad.gif I'm so old!

15 isnt a bad age tongue.gif I've noticed lately most people think I'm about 17 or 18 for some reason which is rather odd.
voices_in_my_head
I'm 13....

And don't feel old! Your not old until you act old.
(As long as we're going off how old you act, I'm about 2 laugh.gif)
EvilSpork
I'm 16 but I've no idea of what impression people get of me.

I know on another forum/community I frequented everybody always forgot how young I was in comparison. I'm unsure if that holds true here, but people always asked if I was anywhere between 18-25. I'm guessing this isn't holding true on here though! tongue.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
Well, as they say, age is inevitable, but maturity can be put off indefinately... laugh.gif
funky fairy
Don't you think its weird that the older you get the more immature you act! I do anyway!
Jonman
The largest age group on the forums is definitely the under-20s (probably)

There's quite a few of us knocking on the doors of 30. Or walking up the driveway. Or at the very least, wandering around the 20-something neighbourhood: Me, Mata, Kisah, Cath, Snugglebum and Forever Unknown are 6 I can name off the top of my head. There's loads more.

There's a few 30-somethings too, although at this moment, I can only think of Pab. Not sure how old Mr Fuzzy is - it's difficult to tell as he hides behind facial hair.

And beyond 40, forumites are few and far between. Surely it's more of a function of internet usage habits than anything else though.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I'll be 26 in about a month, so I definately consider myself walking up the driveway to my 30s. I just hope it's a really long one with pretty trees either side...

There's a few 30-somethings too, although at this moment, I can only think of Pab.

I believe Spacehappy may well be in his 30s? Either that or many years of living in Wales has aged him terribly (be warned SPS, your days are numbered). tongue.gif

Edit: Perhaps we should do a poll and see if we could get the average age of a forumite? That could be interesting?
El Nino
F.Y.I. Me, Spacehappy and Ashbless were all born in the same half of the same year.

Although I look about twenty seven. According to most people I ask.
Cath Sparrow
I'm kicking the door down of 30 (end of next month. GAH!) I really hope it's a big sturdy door.
As for maturity *points to 2nd line of sig* that's my view's on it and the older I get the worse I am biggrin.gif and the fact Mata told me and Space off at the Winchester meet still amuses me muchly (espeacially as we were the 2 oldest there) and were still working on seeing if we can get told off again tongue.gif
Mata
That was my local and I'd rather not have been thrown out for bringing unsavoury rowdy-types in there! *pouts*
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Daria @ Sep 4 2005, 07:34 PM)
Does that mean that we could all be in a creche? biggrin.gif

I hate being the age I am- too young to be considered an adult, but too old to get away with childish things...

(17 if you hadn't guessed)

Psh, sod that. I'm 17 and act about 4. And get away with it. biggrin.gif Mind you, I've been told I *look* 12, so maybe that has something to do with it...
LoLo
I'm 26, but look 18 or 19 by most peoples accounts. They tell me when I get older I'll appreciate the fact that I look younger than I am, but frankly I just get sick of hearing that line and don't care much either way.

Some people who know me strictly based on my personality either think that I'm older than I am, or if they are the ones who catch me in my more frequent than not, strange moods, they think I'm younger than I am.

The people I work with very rarely remember how old I am, due to this same thing. They know I'm older than I look but sometimes I'm more mature than any of them and other times I walk around the store with shopping baskets on my head singing, "Blame it on the rain," so they're unsure. The fact that I'm singing a Milli Vanilli song though, should point to me being older than a teenager. laugh.gif
kisah
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 3 2005, 11:27 AM)

>_>

I want to mock the oooh-aren't-I-so-retro kids but it's really just jealousy. It's no feat that I remember us purchasing (from the store, not ebay!) a brand new atari 2600. However, let this not degrade into the I-have-more-old-consoles-than-you argument because it's only going to end in tears and Mr and Mrs Jonman will win.
PsychWardMike
I remember... buying a Sega Genesis from the store.

Took me months to save up the $120. (I was five!)
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Sep 5 2005, 05:31 PM)

Took me months to save up the $120.  (I was five!)

Aawwww! *pats piches cheek* Sooo Cute!

/spam sorry
LoLo
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Sep 5 2005, 08:31 AM)

Took me months to save up the $120.  (I was five!)

Wow it would have taken me years to save up that much from my allowance when I was 5. Lucky kid. laugh.gif
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 5 2005, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 3 2005, 11:27 AM)

>_>

I want to mock the oooh-aren't-I-so-retro kids but it's really just jealousy. It's no feat that I remember us purchasing (from the store, not ebay!) a brand new atari 2600. However, let this not degrade into the I-have-more-old-consoles-than-you argument because it's only going to end in tears and Mr and Mrs Jonman will win.

Well, the original one came from the store, is just wasn't bought by me.

eBay only came into the picture when the keyboard broke from too much hardcore geekery. >_>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.