Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the mature members?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Jonman
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 5 2005, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 3 2005, 11:27 AM)
Pish! Forget the Atari. ZX Spectrum > *

>_>

I'm 21 and somehow have 3 of them even though it came out 2 years before me.

I want to mock the oooh-aren't-I-so-retro kids but it's really just jealousy. It's no feat that I remember us purchasing (from the store, not ebay!) a brand new atari 2600. However, let this not degrade into the I-have-more-old-consoles-than-you argument because it's only going to end in tears and Mr and Mrs Jonman will win.

What's there to be jealous of? I've still got a ZX Spectum +2 up in the attic at me mum's.
Mata
I remember getting my first ZX Spectrum. It was 1982 and it was uncle's. He didn't know what to do with it so gave it to my family... And so the path that was to be my life began.

The first machine I bought myself was an imported Japanese Sega Mega Drive at a computer show up in London. I think Jonman was there at the time.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 6 2005, 12:11 PM)
I remember getting my first ZX Spectrum. It was 1982 and it was uncle's. He didn't know what to do with it so gave it to my family... And so the path that was to be my life began.

The first machine I bought myself was an imported Japanese Sega Mega Drive at a computer show up in London. I think Jonman was there at the time.

Hmm, maybe. I certainly remember buying my first console (SNES) from Boots on the day or release.

My first speccy was bought off Graham Steel at school for about 40 quid. Fabulous. That was after about 4 years of going over the road to Ali's to play on his speccy, of course.
funky fairy
I remember my dad buying our first computer, I was about 11. It was called an Amstrad something-or-other. It cost 399 plus VAT, I remember the advert on TV.

It had a green screen monitor, and it didn't play games!!! He had it for boring stuff like his accounts. I felt well posh though!
Moosh
This thread has prompted me to try and find my Atari in the loft, and I can't find it! Having searched all the boxes up there I must now ventrue into the garage to look there. I hope I can find it, if only because it looks better then a playstation
kisah
QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 6 2005, 08:50 AM)
What's there to be jealous of? I've still got a ZX Spectum +2 up in the attic at me mum's.

I already said that we would win that competition. What there is to be jealous of is the fact that they are younger than us and *also* into cool things. It just isn't right.

The earlier they start being truly cool the harder it is on us to remain cool, we're just getting washed up.
Cath Sparrow
Aahh! but we get the head start on cool there just going to be playing catch up for the rest of there lives tongue.gif

I remeber dad getting our first computer (I was about 5 or 6)we had a speccy for the space of an evening which he sent back and we got a BBC micro and then worked our way up though the newer versions to a BBC Master untill he used me as an excuse to get a PC because the word procceor on the the beeb was crap and I quite obviously needed one to do my school work on! I love my dad's reasonning at time it's great. biggrin.gif
Daria
My dad used to build computers from other computer bits in the late eighties/ early nineties. We had lots of computers hanging around. I think it comments on the technology age I have grown up in that I could play a Postman Pat game on the Atari, and run over Mrs Gogins, before I could read.
My first proper writing was BBC in little boxes...
CommieBastard
My first console was a NES, a present from either my uncle or my grandfather, I don't remember. I then had an Atari of some sort, a SNES, a Game Boy, a Game Gear (remember those?), and so on...
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (kisah @ Sep 6 2005, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 6 2005, 08:50 AM)

I already said that we would win that competition. What there is to be jealous of is the fact that they are younger than us and *also* into cool things. It just isn't right.

The earlier they start being truly cool the harder it is on us to remain cool, we're just getting washed up.

Well, you'd just have to blame the cool parents who started their kids on games, like my dad happy.gif

My first was an Atari -though my mom made my dad get rid of it when I was still young- Then came the joy of Duckhunt for the NES, then SNES the christmas after it came out (one of my fondest memories) and so on....I recently just bought myself a ps2 though (sacralidge to a former harcore Nintendo gamer) for the Final Fantasy games happy.gif
EvilSpork
My brother and I didn't get our Atari on ebay, we got it when I was about 4 or 5 from somebody... It was the first game system I ever played, and I was the best at invisible tank on the combat cartridge. From then we got a NES and Genesis... After that we didn't get any more console systems. We simply played all the classics while others were off gawking over the Playstation. I still prefered the classics over the newer systems after playing on a Playstation and N64 at a friends house. The reason we always had the classics was because basically we were poor... But I think the classics have more of an impact on my life than any of these new systems with games that aren't even a challenge. Of course maybe they aren't a challenge because of Nintendo hard games... Yeah, "Nintendo hard" ... 3 lives and no saving, and sometimes not even codes. That's my kind of game right there.
Quoth(The Raven)
One of my favorite games was Gauntlet. This was before the three dee revolution, and everything had to look real... even gauntlet eventually fell to the 3d Philistines... sad.gif
LoLo
Does anyone other than me find it humorous that a thread about mature posters has turned to a lot of video game talk? laugh.gif Not that I mind, mind you.

My favorite was Frogger, the original one, not the one they re-did for playstation.
Cath Sparrow
That was amusing me also earlier.

I was never to much good at Frogger, I prefered Chukie Egg. biggrin.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 7 2005, 01:04 PM)
Does anyone other than me find it humorous that a thread about mature posters has turned to a lot of video game talk?

Well, when it's all the old fogeys talk about... tongue.gif
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Sep 7 2005, 02:26 AM)
One of my favorite games was Gauntlet.  This was before the three dee revolution, and everything had to look real... even gauntlet eventually fell to the 3d Philistines... sad.gif

I was always the wizard. Always.
arachnidoc17
I know the most influential game that will make most of you go "huh?"

SiniStar. The first game to use voice recordings. Hard as hell, but if you play it enough, ya gotta love it.
silva-witch
Hi Funky I'm an old lady or so my partner always tells me lol I'm 39 and she is 28 so ya not on ya own smile.gif
funky fairy
Don't you think its strange when youre a kid, thirties seemed so old. Now I feel it!!!
Matthew
I remember not liking superman in the movie when he admitted to Lois Lane that he was over 21!

Back then my young mind thought that was ancient!

Ah, now I'm too old to be a superhero... sniff!
silva-witch
Yeah I suppose when you are a kid thirty something does seem old, now I don't feel old I always say 'I'm only 39 thats not old at all'. Funky do you live in yorkshire then, if ya don't mind me askin? Cos we do smile.gif
funky fairy
Yep, silva-witch, I am from the finest county in the world!
EvilSpork
Frogger was mentioned... What about Freeway?!
arachnidoc17
Contra.
uninspired pizza guy
Im only 18 but i feel older for some reason. As I used to live in the country, i never got a console until the Playstation 2 came out!! I feel so behind the times.
JimiJimi
My list of consoles:

SNES - bought around date of release, then sold, then bought the same one back again a few months ago (the person I sold it to still had it)

Dreamcast - bought around date of release, then sold, then bought the same on back again a few months ago (the person I sold it to still had it... and it was the same person I sold the SNES to all those years before)

PS2 - Bought about 2 years after release, then sold about a month ago on eBay, so I don't know who has it now - although I won't be buying it back off them.

Oh how I missed out of consoles! Hell, hanging around playing Space Invaders for hours on end in my youth should make up for that...
Moosh
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Sep 6 2005, 12:33 PM)
This thread has prompted me to try and find my Atari in the loft, and I can't find it! Having searched all the boxes up there I must now venture into the garage to look there. I hope I can find it, if only because it looks better then a playstation

I found it! I found it! I found it!

I am now about to connect it up agian and play on Combat, Asteroids, Space Invaders etc for the first time since we moved house! Yay!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.