Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Emo Am I?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Wookiee @ Oct 16 2005, 06:24 PM)
I'm happy to admit that what I posted was in bad taste, but I'm not in the habit of apologising when I'm not genuinely sorry.

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 16 2005, 03:24 PM)
And this is just another example about why good grammar is essential on forums.

You may notice I never actually told, as seems to be widely accepted, anyone to self-harm. I said, "Maybe you could start?" and not "Maybe you should start." Tongue, cheek, etc.

Mebe you could use the smilies? tongue.gif or wink.gif generally put a more jokey or friendly spin on a post.
Mata
QUOTE (Wookiee @ Oct 16 2005, 06:24 PM)
I'm happy to admit that what I posted was in bad taste, but I'm not in the habit of apologising when I'm not genuinely sorry.

Which makes things difficult.

If you're not sorry for suggesting as a joke that a person begin self-harm, then what is there to suggest that you won't do it again?

I'm just trying to ensure that members on my forum get treated in ways that are reasonable in a mature conversation. By this I mean that kids who post their poetry aren't told it's crap or have the piss taken out of them by people who think that they know better. I also mean that if a person is going through an angst-stage then others around them should be mature enough to understand that those feelings are very important to the individual, even if they seem like a tantrum to others. I'm trying to ensure that people of all ages and linguistic abilities feel free to express themself on my forums without fear of unwarranted criticism or bullying.

Equally, there are subjects of conversation that are in bad taste and I would prefer that they weren't treated too flippantly. This isn't to say that you can't make jokes relating to touchy subjects, but there are ways of going about such things. If what you're typing when said out loud in a conversation could seem cruel, hateful, or insensitive then it's a good idea to make sure people very clearly understand that you are joking or just simply don't post it at all. Typing every first witticism that comes into your head is not always the best way to save hurt feelings and I do care about the feelings of the people on here.

I'm not trying to be confrontational here, I'm trying to keep the peace, and often lately it feels like this is being viewed as an unreasonable request which has led to me becoming very frustrated. Maturity is all about attempting to understand the feelings of other people, whether you consider those people to be mature or not. That's the kind of safe environment I'm trying to create here. It is sometimes fragile and generally it goes in the right direction, but it does need to be protected. I usually don't mind people going close to the edge, because I think humour is a very useful way of getting rid of fear or glamour, but it's the job of the mods and myself to prevent people from going beyond that. This does mean that sometimes we seem to pick up on things that don't seem much worse than previous posts, but it's a judgement call that we have to make occasionally to maintain the line of civility.

I don't think that there's a lot more to be said here, but I'm pretty sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from and I hope you bear it in mind when posting here. It's not about culling everything, it's just about treating subjects and people maturely.
My;heart;bleeds
To all concerned: I apologise for making such a controversial post. It has caused quite a big argument and that wasn't what I wanted to happen at all - I simply felt I was expressing my feelings on the subject.
I'll also try and keep gramatically correct, but when I posted my first comment in this thread, I was feeling in one of those 'I can't be bothered' moods. It won't happen again.
I also apologise for offending anyone if I did. I just got het-up about it, and I really do get quite irritated about that kind of stuff.
So, sorry again, and hope this has possibly cleared a few things up.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
QUOTE (My;heart;bleeds @ Oct 17 2005, 03:28 PM)
To all concerned: I apologise for making such a controversial post. It has caused quite a big argument and that wasn't what I wanted to happen at all - I simply felt I was expressing my feelings on the subject.
I'll also try and keep gramatically correct, but when I posted my first comment in this thread, I was feeling in one of those 'I can't be bothered' moods. It won't happen again.
I also apologise for offending anyone if I did. I just got het-up about it, and I really do get quite irritated about that kind of stuff.
So, sorry again, and hope this has possibly cleared a few things up.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologise, really wasn't your fault at all. smile.gif

You just got caught up in other issues that are floating around the forums right now. Awwww, how the innocent get corrupted. wink.gif
Mata
I second that. There have been a few unresolved things going on around here. Sorry you got in the middle of of it!

On the plus side, hopefully it's cleared the air.
Astarael
You seem to have accidentally wandered into a minefield of simmering arguments, but hopefully things things will calm down a bit. Sometimes a bit of snarling and venting can clear things up for a while. Sorry if I got snotty with you, Heart, but I've been a bit short of sleep lately (I need eight a night to stay sane and I've been getting around four) and you accidentally set off one of my pet peeves that had been grating on me all day. My schedule just got simpler and I've gotten some rest, so I'll try to be nicer. Thanks for using correct punctuation in future posts. It should really clear things up. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.