Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signatures
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Astarael
I was scrolling down the list of Daft topics and noticed that we have threads for avatars and character desriptions but not one for signatures, so I thought I'd start one. I've seen some great sigs, and I'd like to know where they came from and what they mean.
I'm proud of myself for waiting until I hit 350 post before I started a topic, as this is my first one. smile.gif
The first part of my sig is a listing of the bells in the Abhorsen set by Garth Nix (read them). I love the books and the bells are cool, so I just put them in.
"I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar," is a quote from Serenity, which I just got to see the other night. 'Tis a great quote, and I loved the whole movie. I didn't want my sig getting too long, so I chose one of my favorite quotes.

Sharing time!
PsychWardMike
Um, the bit about flame wars means exactly what it says. I don't intend for my posts to piss you off too bad. There were many instances in my early days at Matazone in which nearly everything I said was insulting, even when I meant some of it not to be. Therefore, my signature was born.

The Viewtiful stuff? I really like Viewtiful Joe, so I thought it would be nice.
Phyllis
Because I <3 the Guano Apes. There isn't an explanation beyond that, I'm afraid.
Novander
The design stays the same, but the lyrics in the graphicy bit occaisionally change. Currently they're from "Tear My World Apart" by Greeley Estates.

The lyrics outside the graphics probably won't change, 'cause I like them too much. They're from Bright Eyes - We Are Nowhere And Its Now.

The links are for Tribe Wyvern (which you should join), the Spork thread (which you should join), the Matazone Last.fm scrobbler group (which you should join), and Firefox (which you should get).
LoLo
Because Aries has been pimping me since 2003.
Pikasyuu
Because it's a great song, with links to all the best pages on the interweb. Haw, 'cept my LJ, that doesn't rank. Lyrics from Lit's Miserable. :)
Sir Psycho Sexy
It was a quote I found somewhere, don't remember where now, I was feeling pretty loved up at the time and I liked it, so I used it. I still quite like it, it's a funny spin on love, not so loved up anymore though. tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
The 1st lines a quote from Neil Gaiman's Sandman which just happen to apeal to me. Also goes with my Av's which are usually pictures of Death from the Sandman.
The 2nd lines my general view on life also a quote from somewhere but I cant remeber where. The rest except the last line of links are all forum related. Mr Teapots my e-hubby because I bought him. biggrin.gif I started a a thread to get an evil smiley which as you can see worked evil.gif Quoth was my noob when she started more to save my own neck than for her benifit (not that she seems to need me any more seeing as she has more posts than me). tongue.gif After meeting Weej in R/L at the meets I have come to the conclusion crossing road with her is dangerous due us 2 usally being the ones across and usually ending up running for our live (niether of us are very good at it). biggrin.gif Squeak Bed Squeak! is another meet joke between me and Queenie. I got ganged up on into being Anti Cath to the Tribe. dry.gif I have part shares in Raevnkite my new Noob and Cand is My E-Wench.
The link are from a stand up comidien's show I went to see in which I learn what evil B**t**ds Coca Cola are.
Forever Unknown
Bernard Black, because he's my role model.
Moosh
Mine is full of stuff:

First bit, I am e-married to IATB and zivane, Erin and Funky Fairy are my n00bs.

Second bit, a quote from the gospel according to Bobby Henderson, creator of Flying Spagetti Monsterism, and a link to his website.

Third bit, picture links to a few of my favorite webcomics

Fourth bit, this changes occasionally at the moment it is a few quotes on the theme of "Honk if you love..." bumper stickers.
Jatopian
Mine is fairly easy to understand. The second sentence is green in honor of the Corporation, the quote describes Little Goth Girl perfectly *hint to Mata*, and the final is just true.
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Oct 4 2005, 05:41 PM)
Booby Henderson
If that was intentional, I am doing jihad to you.
Calantyr
A quote from Boethius as he sat waiting his executions for crimes against the King of the Lombards. Boethius, also referred to as the Last of the Romans. A man of great prominance in Rome during its final days.
He was a loyal servant and man of incredible moral and inner strength. He was comdemned as a traitor by those who were jealous of him. As he sat awaiting his death he wrote a lot about if Fate was cruel to humans, had it a right to be.

The quote is from a conversation between him and Fate. No matter how bad things get, they can get worse. How dare Fate do this?

To the simple answer: Fate created you from nothing. Your very borth was a whim of Fate. To Fate you owe everything, what right have you to stop her reclaiming it?

To put it bluntly, shit happens. Deal with it.

It is also one of those strange occurances of when a poem is translated into another language it still rhymes perfectly.
Righteous
Well, my brother and his band were once screwing around with 80$ worth of Hellraiser merc on my shelf and I told him that in private while pissed the Hell off.

The picture os to my friend's forum.

The link is to my highly offensive blog. Enter at your own risk.
Moosh
QUOTE (Jatopian @ Oct 7 2005, 01:38 AM)
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Oct 4 2005, 05:41 PM)
Booby Henderson
If that was intentional, I am doing jihad to you.

No it wasn't intentional
Astarael
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Oct 6 2005, 09:15 PM)
A quote from Boethius as he sat waiting his executions for crimes against the King of the Lombards. Boethius, also referred to as the Last of the Romans. A man of great prominance in Rome during its final days.
He was a loyal servant and man of incredible moral and inner strength. He was comdemned as a traitor by those who were jealous of him. As he sat awaiting his death he wrote a lot about if Fate was cruel to humans, had it a right to be.

The quote is from a conversation between him and Fate. No matter how bad things get, they can get worse. How dare Fate do this?

To the simple answer: Fate created you from nothing. Your very borth was a whim of Fate. To Fate you owe everything, what right have you to stop her reclaiming it?

To put it bluntly, shit happens. Deal with it.

It is also one of those strange occurances of when a poem is translated into another language it still rhymes perfectly.

Very spiffy little poem, and ironically true. I'm a tad confused, though. Wouldn't it be "Too often?" Or am I misinterpreting?
Calantyr
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 9 2005, 05:55 PM)
Very spiffy little poem, and ironically true. I'm a tad confused, though. Wouldn't it be "Too often?" Or am I misinterpreting?

Cheers... and.. errr... I think you're right. D'oh! Thanks for pointing it out.
Witless
Mines simple, something I really should say to people in person more often, however until I meet a second me, I'd likely get reply:

1) So rude!
2) You could just say you don't like/want to be friends with me
3) You know what your problem is...? etc etc etc..

It's also a quote from a book I'm reading, and from a few sites I prance around on the net.

I also grin whenever anyone reads it and says,

"I know exactly what you're talking about! Mind if I add you to my msn messenger list?!"
Wookiee
Ted Leo, drinkin' a beer.

Oh, and my bands website. Hooray!
snow white
I chose mine because I realy try not to be selfish. I do help those in need if I can. biggrin.gif
Star_of_Lei
A quote I made up, my favourite ever quote, a link to a message board
Righteous
It's from a song by Dream Theater called "As I Am."
JimiJimi
I got tired of annoyingly long, colourful signatures with a dozen links in, so I just stuck three words in. They're lyrics from Jimi Hendrix's 'Purple Haze'.
Astarael
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Oct 11 2005, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 9 2005, 05:55 PM)

Cheers... and.. errr... I think you're right. D'oh! Thanks for pointing it out.

Not a problem. My grammar obsession has at last solved a problem instead of starting a fight. biggrin.gif
Astarael
Oh dear. This has been swallowed in the avalanche of new threads. *bump* There are some extremely weird sigs out there that I would *love* to understand, so tell me about them! ph34r.gif
Star_of_Lei
The first part and the second part are quotes from my dad and grandad about this dude in a pub we went to that they've known for years. I thought they were really funny.
The next is obviously from Mata's LGG. It has to be one of the best quotes ever.
My MSN name. It's about alot of people at once. Used to be your a retard is a state of fact, but figured that might offend so changed it.
Quote from Grey's Anatomy. My new favourite show. Ooo it's on tonight!
Then clearly, My;Heart;Bleeds, is my noob
SleepyCoyote
The first is a song quote from a Clash song I happen to be quite fond of. It's been stuck in my head as of late. As for the second part, it's a my favorite frame from the toon "Do You Like Waffles?" I firmly beleieve it's one of the best flash toons ever. I still watch it at least thrice a week. It's become an addiction.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Star_of_Lei @ Oct 24 2005, 07:40 AM)
.....your a retard is a state of fact,

*giggles small-mindedly*

Hrm! Back on topic! My sig used to be at least one secret message and one displaced lyric, but now is just lyrics. Not just any lyrics, mind you. Meaningful ones. Feel free to google them, if you so desire.
Righteous
It's one of my favorite jokes. Straight edgers are people who are into the whole no promiscuous sex/no drugs/no alcohol/no tobacco bit (my cousin's straight edge). One general bit of humor is that when their boys aren't around, they drink, smoke or do drugs.
Rykan
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Oct 4 2005, 02:31 AM)
It was a quote I found somewhere, don't remember where now, I was feeling pretty loved up at the time and I liked it, so I used it. I still quite like it, it's a funny spin on love, not so loved up anymore though. tongue.gif

I love yours ^.^ It hits home, hehe.

Mine is from Batman: The Movie, which was on at the weekend (with Mayor Adam West laugh.gif ). That film made me despair! The number of riddles that Batman and Robin solved in 3 seconds that were actually ... ridiculous (that's not the word I'm looking for)! Look!

Batman: Look at this pair of joking riddles.
Chief O'Hara: [reads] What does a turkey do when he flies upside down?
Robin: He gobbles up!
Chief O'Hara: Of course.
Batman: And, number two...
Commissioner Gordon: [reads] What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree and is very dangerous?
Robin: A sparrow with a machine gun!
Commissioner Gordon: Yes, of course.

The actual quote I wanted went something like "Quick! Fetch the jet pack powered umbrellas!" but I couldn't find the exact quote anywhere online, so settled for that silly banana one.
Righteous
My friend Amber and I were in my kitchen talking about the course of our friendship and she looked at me and said, "Y'know, if not for the fact that we had sex, you'd be like a brother to me." It was an odd moment.
Righteous
While having a discussion about my band, one of my guitarists told us, "This is gonna end up either working wonderfully or crashing miserably."

After becoming one of the last people I know to join MySpace, I announced, "Yeah, I am officially a poser."

I had to write a report on Lord of the Flies in the eleventh grade in which I went into a sleep deprivation-induced rant about how the Lord of the Flies is within all of us and it will lead us to the distruction of our whole race. The next day, my teacher took me aside and basically told me that he found my paper disturbing. My favorite line was, "I used to think that one day you'd straighten out."
MrRandomQuotes
erm my sig...

I just take random things out of my random quotes list.
Which probably means i'll end up including a part of someonelse's sig one day, and i appologise in advance
Kitty
Because I was looking at my member description the other day and decided that the words could be switched around and might acctually have a closer meaning to what I was aiming for....
I couldnt decide between the two though. C'est la vie
eighthweasley
Mine's a corruption of Shakespeare's "That which/ We call a rose by any other name/ Would smell as sweet". I decided that mine was equally true, and reflected my goth-tinted view of life far more accurately.

I love Shakespeare. He's brilliant.
Astarael
QUOTE (MrRandomQuotes @ Nov 16 2005, 06:58 PM)
erm my sig...

I just take random things out of my random quotes list.
Which probably means i'll end up including a part of someonelse's sig one day, and i appologise in advance

That's fine. The first part of mine is a bit boring unless you've read the books I stole it from, but feel free to borrow the leaf bit. I don't think anyone will mind you borrowing things. smile.gif Any idea where the quote is from, though? I like it.
Righteous
Okay...

"Y'know, if not for the fact that we had sex, you'd be like a brother to me."
This comes from a conversation with one of my friends.

"Yeah, I'm officially a poser."
Anytime I join a popular online community or get some kind of messaging program, I proclaim myself to be a poser.

"When you say 'weird,' do you mean weird by your standards or mine?"
Whenever someone says anything is weird, I always ask this question.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about the bite marks."
I often forger if I have bite marks, scratches or hickies on my neck and shoulders.

The paragraph is from Mushroomhead: Volume 1. It was a late night conversation between guitarist Dave aka Gravy and keyboardist Tom aka Shmotz, who was drunk and sleepwalking at the time.
The Travis
The only reason I'm here is because I stumbled into IRC, so I thought it appropriate.

Also, this-

QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 6 2005, 11:00 PM)
Well, my brother and his band were once screwing around with 80$ worth of Hellraiser merc on my shelf and I told him that in private while pissed the Hell off.

--------------------

"Y'know, if not for the fact that we had sex, you'd be like a brother to me."

Had me on the floor. Reading on, I found out he had changed his sig. It made me sad, because that was far beyond perfect.
Sir Psycho Sexy
That needs to be immortalised somewhere...possibly on a plaque.
The Travis
Well I carved it into my wall, but I have a feeling the landlord will make me sand it out. That guy's such a jerk.
voices_in_my_head
Those are my favorite lyrics from The Emo Song. (which tends to offend people whenever I show it to them, so I won't bother linking to it.)

Dear Diary
Mood: Apithetic
My life is spiraling downward, I couldn't get tickets to the my chemical romance concert, which really sucks because they play some of my favorite songs like Stab me because You love me, Rip Apart My soul, and of course, STABBY RIP STAB STAB. It doesn't help that I couldn't get my hair to do that flippy thing, like that guy from the band. Some days, you know...
I'm an Emo kid,
As non-conforming as can be
You'd be non-conforming too if you looked just like me... (and so on and so forth)
ee-wan bell-arm-ee
Well, basically I whant power, as I am keen to point out, I am an evil maiac.

Answer you question?!

(eek, what has happend to my pic)?
El Nino
"I've gotta say what I've gotta say then I swear I'll go away" for anyone that doesn't already know is from Slipknotts Duality.

"Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"" I just found this quite amusing when I read it somewhere.

"She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip" I can't actually remember who did this song or what it's called I just remember that it's very catchy.

"Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other" This is from one of my favorite bands, Clawfinger. And the track is called "Nigger" which, believe it or not, is an anti racist song.

"Opinions expressed are probably complete b*llsh*t." this was the signature of someone else on another forum so, yes, I nicked it. (so what)

"Member of the pro cath association" I believe Froggy is the only other member of this group (apart from cath) and I thought we should have something in common as I am her sugar-e-daddy.

"You can't spell politics without tics" Jimmy jimmy had a thing in his signature which said you can't spell breathe without eat so I just stole the idea and put a new spin on it.

"Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity." So many people seem so stupid to me that this is just something that I have say to myself to stop myself from arguing with them.
Moosh
Okay, first line is Forum connections, then a link to the Plain Forums, and a link to my AudioScrobbler page

Second line, a quote from the holy scripture of Pastafarienism and a link to the FSM page

Third line, little banners for six web-comics and the last one is my site of the week (or whenever I can be bothered to update)

Last line is a quote I really like, can't remember where it's from, possibly the Simpsons
Novander
The text in the image is now based on lyrics by Open Hand.

I removed the links to tribe wyvern and the spork thread because I don't think I've ever actually been into those threads since I made my initial posts there.
voices_in_my_head
"These pants are so comfortable!"
"Really?"
"Yes! The material's all flowy and It's like...It's like.. I'm Gellin'! In my pants"
"Oh, dear God..."

That's a conversation between me and a friend. Sadly, most of my conversations with pretty much anyone ends up like this.
Righteous
It's from the song "Fear Held Dear" by Mushroomhead (along with my member title). The nouns are all links to various sites.

And I still have the late night conversation between poor drunk/sleepwalking Tommy and camera-wielding Dave.
Astarael
QUOTE (Because I can @ Dec 8 2005, 11:34 AM)
"Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity." So many people seem so stupid to me that this is just something that I have say to myself to stop myself from arguing with them.

I'm a geeky little Trekkie, so I have to ask if you stole the "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations" thing from Spock's pendant and slogan on Star Trek. I also have to disagree a little. Sometimes diversity of viewpoints, shaken around with different people, is more useful than a group of people trying to think of something when they all have the same viewpoints and arguments.
Kitty
"300,000th post by Kitty"

Because its true ^^
And I'm a showoff biggrin.gif
Astarael
Nah, exhibitionist would be a better word. tongue.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (Astarael @ Dec 12 2005, 10:07 PM)
Nah, exhibitionist would be a better word. tongue.gif

Was that just generally or a reference to the snow and swimsuits thing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.