Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaNoWriMo
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
CommieBastard
National Novel Writing Month, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is an event in November where the participants try to write a novel of at least 50,000 words in a month, beginning midnight November 1st and ending midnight December 1st. Its main purpose as I see it is to combat that tendency of people to want to write a novel "one day", and then endlessly put off that day because "there's never enough time". NaNoWriMo forces you to put the words down on paper, which is the most important thing. It's also a great deal of fun.

Last year I only found out about the event late at night on October 31st, but this year I'm prepared. I'm spending this month outlining the story, ready to leap in on the first.

Anybody want to accompany my eventual descent into madness? Anybody?
Usurper MrTeapot
I'm up for it.
Mata
As with last year I'm still in thesis land, but I may join up in 2006. I've linked this thread from my blog to see if we can get a few new literary types on here.
vicrawr
I do! I do! I do!
elphaba2
I tried and failed miserably last year, but I might as well try again. It was quite the fun.
Greeneyes
I only got a mere 4,000 or something done last time, but hopefully I'll actually do a little better this year.
Usurper MrTeapot
(Psst Mata. The link in your blog to this thread is broken.

http://www.matazone.co.uk/blog/%3Cbr%20/%3...=0&#entry315712

^ )
Mata
Oops. Good point, I've fixed that now.
mooooooooooopo
I don't think I can do it this year, it got killed by work last year and the same will probably happen again.

I also seem to burn out after about 5000 words or when parts of my story work but I can't find a decent way to join the two up (it was probably a bad idea writing chapters out of order!).

I will probably join up in 2006 also.
Astarael
My schedule is settling down a bit, so I'll try if I have time. I really do mean to do an experiment with sustained writing of truly creative and original fantasy, but I keep either giving up or drifting into the land of overused plots. I wind up reading so much pathetic fantasy that I'm wary of repeating the garbage I hate. Bother me one day and maybe I'll give you my rant about unoriginal fantasy writers. I'm too happy to do it now. smile.gif
MistressAlti
I may try again this year. I don't have the whole brand-new-relationship "I want to spend every waking moment with you" syndrome this time so I'm just slightly less doomed to fail. Now, to think of a topic or something...
voices_in_my_head
Hmm.... I think I'll try this. It'll be interesting to see me fit all of that in with my school work.
CommieBastard
This is an idea I've had for a long time in one form or another; it was originally going to be a comic book, but I decided it would work better as a novel. Then I put it off until November because it will be easier to motivate myself then.
artist.unknown
Oh, God. Not this again. Damn you, Commie, for reminding me.

And now I've got an idea and everything. Blast.

Oh, well, it's not like I need a life. I can make time for this. I'll just skip the superfluous bits, like sleeping and eating.
PsychWardMike
It seems to me like I tried this last year... and failed. And conversely to Commie, my novel is becoming a comic soon, hopefully.

Damnit, I was looking forward to downtime, too.
elphaba2
Perhaps my novel will chronicle the slow deterioration of a young girl—her transformation into a small, withered husk as a result of 14 hours a week of required Science Research, various community service projects, viola-playing, board-membering at a volunteer-based Interfaith group, regular schoolwork and a 50,000 word novel. It probably won’t have an ending, as I’ll be too busy hugging myself in a corner, asking over and over for the pain and obligations to stop.

They won’t, you know.

(P.S. – I am not really that overextended; this is a Westchester girl after all.)
vicrawr
Oh c'mon people! It's not that bad. NaNoWriMo is great fun!

I had a blast last year and I can't wait until I can do it again.
Tarantio
I may have a legit excuse to not not take part this year, ie we're doing writing in SFX and psychoacoustics this year, and I can easily take the part of the radio play I'm writing and extend around it for a novel-length somethingorother.

Its early days yet, tho, so I suppose I have plenty of time to decide...
Wyvern
Whoo hoo! Count me in!!!

It won't be cockroaches this year but at least I'll be starting on the right day...it may help with the word count although probably not with the sanity.
I_am_the_best
My two of my friends and I have already made a pact to each write a story for the other two to read. Haven't yet started so I might give this a try, it'll give me more motivation I guess. I'm a little scared, 50,000 is a big number, most of my essays only mount to about 4,000 and I'm pretty burned out by then already. Meh, who can say no to a challenge.smile.gif
voices_in_my_head
I've just thought of a new reason for me to do this. It'll give me a closer look on how my life might be if I did end up writing books for a living like I plan to. smile.gif
Novander
I'm going for a 5th of a novel. If I can fit 10,000 words in around my dissertation, I'll be happy.
gothictheysay
I can give it a shot, but no guarantee with my homeworkload... I can put in more effort than last year, though. I was pathetic.
vicrawr
If it makes you all feel better, once you do the 50K, when you go back to school and hear everyone whining about 250 word and 500 word essays, you can secretly laugh at them behind your back because that stuff is like nothing once you've done NaNoWriMo.
Mata
Given that the latest single chapter of my thesis ended up at 19k words, and I was aiming for 12-13k, I don't think 50k will be as many as you think it might be!
oscarhilton
why not?
Kitty
I've never heard of this before, and it sounds like a pretty damn awesome idea, but it happens to come at the time when I need to make all my grades _perfect_ so I can get out of German and into Photography instead.... which is alot harder than its intended to be =(

I might start to do it at any rate tongue.gif End up with maybe 2,000 words and then die of sleep deprivation. All depends how I'm feeling biggrin.gif
oxym0ronical
I'm in this time around. May as well go mad with everyone else tongue.gif
Feyliya
You know, I think the fates might be conspiring to make me do this this year. I came up with the perfect opening line to a book while I was half-asleep this morning, and since that's the hardest part of the book for me (besides keeping the ball rolling) I might as well take it and run with it.

"Thank Goddess for you, Mr. Coffee. You are never angry with me, you never sulk, you work when I ask you to, and you always put forth your best efforts." The young woman took the carafe and poured herself a tall cup of coffee in a double-size porcelain mug before heading back to the long pine counter in the front of her book store.....
CommieBastard
Reasonably consistently, about 15% of participants reach 50,000. So that should be at least one of us biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
*Not allowed*

"You don't work hard enough as it is without starting this ridiculous competition right before your January exams" dry.gif

I'll just watch the rest of you attempt to kill yourself, instead, and join in next year, when I'm outta here tongue.gif
JimiJimi
Hmm, this sounds interesting... I might give it a blast and see what happens for a laugh. Of course, if I actually thought about a storyline it wouldn't turn out half as good as if I just made it up as I went along. I can't write a good novel to save my life, but I'll try coming up with the stupidest, most random piece of literature I can and give lots of people headaches.

I'm up for it... Although I'm sure it will flop somewhere in the less-than-1000 zone. What the hell.
CommieBastard
I'm told, incidentally, that between 80,000 and 100,000 words is a good number for a first-time novel. Outside that it's difficult to get publishers interested; less than 80k and it looks like you don't have much staying power, over 100k and the cost of publishing is starting to look like too much of a risk for an untested author.
MistressAlti
Is prewriting allowed? I'm trying not to but it's difficult when I'm character developing... anyone else having trouble NOT writing.
CommieBastard
Prewriting isn't allowed, I think, but it's damn near impossible not to. I've prewritten a couple of scenes which will get sewn into the story in a different form, and I've decided that doesn't count as prewriting because shut up.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 25 2005, 10:55 AM)
I've decided that doesn't count as prewriting because shut up.

That's an awesome reason. biggrin.gif I keep doing character sketches and chapter outlines, I should stop cheating one of these days. But I'm afraid I'll lose my ideas if I don't write them now.
Hobbes
The last two years I have merely read about NaNoWriMo, usually halfway through the event, and therefore haven't taken part. This year I shall attempt to join in. A year or so ago I attempted to write 1000 words a day, in the form of short stories - avoiding editing and planning as much as possible. I just typed away until I hit 1K. Although I didn't keep it going for very long, it did show me two things: 1) I can train myself to write regularly, at length and 2) I have some twisted ideas hidden in the furthest corners of my mind.

So now I shall try a similar thing with NaNoWriMo; the only differences really being length, and that I am aiming for one story.

Here goes...
I_am_the_best
I've decided that because I have a severe dislike for any planning and inspiration most certainly hasn't struck, I'm just going to write about my life, as if it were a story, because after all, life is just like one big story made up of many small ones.
MistressAlti
Last hours of freedom until the wild and self-imposed shackles of NaNoWriMo writing take hold!

Are you ready?

We'll all have to meet up online at some point during the month to give each other moral support biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
I've got my plan ready.

I'm going to get wreaked tonight and see what a hangover inspires storywise.
Kitty
Hah, good luck MrTeapot. I'm thinking of drinking lots of tea and erm.... staying up all night! And then crashing and having a book feed off of my horrible tiredness....
This plan has great potential to fail though.

Getting smashed sounds like a better idea.
'Except for the fact that my parents would loose all trust in me with alcohol....
Wyvern
Ok not too long to go and any ideas??? Nope, nothing Nada absolutely Zip...I am not impressed, my imagination appears to have eloped with my spelling ability. Not a good sign.

Still watch this space they may feel sorry for me and return...
elphaba2
*looks around for something happening that one could base a novel on*

*notes a small, round Hispanic pirate knocking for candy*

Nothing!

Wyvern, perhaps I will write a novel about you. It would certainly be easier than having to load up on actual thought process.

edit: Update! The countdown has begun at Team Elphaba! It involves a cup of tea and some long-overdue math homework.
Apollyon
I am totally participating this year (as this is the first year I have heard about it), and I am excited!!! Eeee! But my novel, unfortunately will probably die a long and painful death, as I have absolutely no idea what to write about.
Usurper MrTeapot
smashed. not waitijng to wake up. am starting now.

let the games begin.
vicrawr
Is anyone else as terrified as I am?
Kitty
Not quite terrified, but I feel like I've gotten a late start. Already 5 hours past midnight! AGH! Must find notebook....
Greeneyes
Personally, when lacking inspiration, I flick through a dictionary. Or a Bible or something, and just write down some words. Also, since it only sort of clicked about an hour ago that it's the first already, I've decided to hold a moral high ground over all who even had ideas before today. That way I won't feel so bad when I clonk out at 4000 like last year tongue.gif.
Mata
William Gibson says he finds a lot of inspiration from finding a good photograph and then writing a description of it in very great detail. I think that's a process that I could use. Maybe next year, if I've not already written a novel by then anyway biggrin.gif
I_am_the_best
Well, I started writing a little bit on the train this morning. Hmmm, 411 words in 16 minutes. Most of it is unstructured babble. I'm already pretty much behind schedule. If I write 1,700 words a day then I should reach about 51,000 words. just 1,300 words left to go...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.