Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaNoWriMo
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Novander
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 11 2005, 06:32 PM)
Well the exaggerated eyebrow wiggle tends to ruin it.... But other than that, definatley!

Dammit, I've been practising my eyebrow wiggle. Should have spent the time writing.
Kitty
QUOTE (Novander @ Nov 11 2005, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 11 2005, 06:32 PM)
Well the exaggerated eyebrow wiggle tends to ruin it.... But other than that, definatley!

Dammit, I've been practising my eyebrow wiggle. Should have spent the time writing.

Well they're still fun for making people giggle! I like eyebrow wiggles, just not when someone's hitting on me.... blink.gif Makes it seem so cheesy....
Usurper MrTeapot
Anyone thought of a name for their book?
Kitty
I have! Kind of....

I brainstormed a bit and came up with "The Poison of my Life" And looking at it I think it sounds pretty damn corny.... so I thought of "Poison" but that .... well I dont know, thats not so bad. I'm not even sure how I'm going to finish my novel and I'm a bit stuck at the moment (only acter 8,000 words too x.x;) soooo.... Things arent going so well.
Apollyon
Ya! Its fun to make up novel titles using acronyms (but only if you want to sound really random)
Like in mine, where the world blows up you might say
The Hot Earth Woman Organized Religious Llama Doom Because Leif Ericsson Was Under-Paid

Usually you'd pick a shorter word, but I was just having too much fun. (I was inspired by the thread in Games)
Kitty
Haha biggrin.gif Thats funny
elphaba2
I'm working my way to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome as we speak from typing up massive amounts of looseleaf paper, and hideously abusing my school homework-only email. But, only 21,000 words to show for it! Ag..

Currently, my title's somewhere along the lines of "*swear word* I Need To Think Of A Name?"

Oh, silly nanowrimo stressing.
voices_in_my_head
Don't worry about being behind. The Queen of Procrastination is here to make you feel better about it! I have a total of...

*drum roll*

No words!

Really, I'll get around to it eventually... maybe.
elphaba2
Mmph. Somebody make me write.
Kitty
I would if I could but I cant so I wont.

I stopped working on mine. I only got up to 8,000 words and now I'm not so sure where I'm going with this.
Usurper MrTeapot
Tonight I found the best muse.

Go into London, wandering about until you find yourself somewhere you know, you're supposed to be heading to a birthday party but your a bit late. Stop to help a crying young lady. Get lost together, with hilarious outcomes.

It happened to me and now I can't stop writing!
vicrawr
9 days to go! I'm still at 21 and some change. Which means I'm behind 13,973. Still confident that I'll finish, even if I have to pull a couple all-nighters. No title, yet. Don't think I'll ever get one.

Some tips to add to your Word Count: remove all contractions. It may not sound as natural as you'd want, but making one word into two will help a good deal. Title all your chapters. The titles of your chapters and the title of the book will help too. It may sound like cheating, but if it helps, go for it!

Who's still in it? I know Cand dropped cos of school.
elphaba2
I am! I have almost 31,000 words, meaning I'm behind 4,000. But I just hit on a decent plot structure so I think I'll be able to finish. So exciting!
Kitty
I dropped due to.... well its an autobiography and I totally can not differenciate (sp?) between a whole bunch of happenings within a 2 year time period of my life, and still have yet to figure out a way around that. I dont want to say "Yeeaa and these two years were just a blurr" Because that totally limits my word count ! tongue.gif

C'est la vie. Hang in there everyone else! You can do it!
Usurper MrTeapot
31,330 at the moment, but I've got a day or twos worth on paper waiting to by typed.

Edit: All up to date. At the end of day 21 I'm on 33,026 words.
Usurper MrTeapot
Double post but whatever.

If anyone finishes their 50,000 words will they edit it and try to get it published? I'm toying with the idea of trying to do that, though some of the bits in it would turn some people in real life against me, so I'm thinking of going through and changing names and places. But what I'd really like to see is my name on a bookshelf somewhere, and even getting a bit of cash profit from it if possible. That would be amazing.
Kitty
That was my original intention. I'd atleast get a small publish and sell the copies I get myself. What I'm writing/trying to write really means alot to me. I'd spend alot more months editing than I would acctually writing happy.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Nov 22 2005, 02:20 AM)

If anyone finishes their 50,000 words will they edit it and try to get it published? I'm toying with the idea of trying to do that, though some of the bits in it would turn some people in real life against me, so I'm thinking of going through and changing names and places. But what I'd really like to see is my name on a bookshelf somewhere, and even getting a bit of cash profit from it if possible. That would be amazing.

I'm not going to finish mine in time, though it has a little more scope than last year's attempt, and I think I can probably make 50, 000 out of it, so I intend to try and finish it anyway.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Nov 22 2005, 02:20 AM)

Like I said, not doing NaNo this year due to parental intervention, but everyone else writing has started me out with actually putting down onto paper a story I've had knocking around in my head for quite some time. If and when I do finish it, I might very well edit it a bit and send it off, not so much for publishing, but to see what the publishing/editing people would say about it. Could they give me any advice, or whatever. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and I it would be interesting to find out what an impartial source thought of it, particularly given this story is well outside my normal writing style.
Apollyon
Wow. I was so on track for a while, but now on the 25th I still only have 32693 words. Meh. I am using the thanksgiving 5 day weekend for an insane writing fiesta, but the situation looks grim.

Only 5000 words a day! Wow, that sounds easy!
/sarcasm
vicrawr
Less than three days to go! Now comes crunch time. I'm still stuck at 25K. Can I write half of my novel in this short amount of time? I'd like to think so.

How is everyone else doing?
elphaba2
I am so scared of ending it! Also, I am behind like 2,000-something words, because my computer died yesterday, right when I was in the midst of being caught up and I haven't written much today. But yeah, exciting time.

I'm planning on doing some super-editing with mine once February rolls around and midterms and all are finished. No one does _anything_ in February, and it'll give me enough time from now to see if any of my novel is actually any good. I haven't quite let anyone read it, except for having my brother critique one page's worth on a sleepless night, and I am being pressured.
Apollyon
Meh. School grades dying. Not enough sleep. Free time eaten up.

But SO CLOSE!!! Only about 9000 words left to go! That's only 3000 a day! I can do this!
Usurper MrTeapot
3 weeks and I was doing fine but now I've come across two problems. First being school work and the second being not sure how to end it, though I came up with an idea on the loo earlier.
Kitty
Loo's seem like a good place to find ideas tongue.gif

I've been thinking about how to do the middle of my novel for the past three weeks and I think I'm getting closer!! Maybe by christmas I'll have it written.... ish.
elphaba2
Last day! I've thought of an ending, and now to stretch it over my 2,390 words left. Novel-writing is the coolest.
Kitty
Everyone put theirs online somewhere so we can read them!!!
elphaba2
I have 750 words to go (!!)

and mine is partially online, but I don't have the link on me. I'll dig it up once I'm done.

edit so as to not double-post:

(please forgive the swearing, but:) Holy shit. I did it! I did it.
Apollyon
EEEEEE! I won i won! So excited!!!!!!!

Must go celebrate by telling everyone and showing them my nifty certificate!
vicrawr
Good job!

I succeeded as well at the very last minute.
elphaba2
I'm a bit nervous about posting this, but mine is now online at this poorly designed geocities site. If anyone's got the requisite "too much time" in order to read it, let me know what you think. It still needs a little editing (i.e.: I set it in '99 and thus have to remove all mention of the iPod) and probably is rife with typos, but I'd be interested to hear what impression it might make on this forum of intellectuals.

So, um, yes. Check it out.
elphaba2
I've just snuck down to my computer for the sole purpose of bumping this thread so people might get a chance to look at my novel. It appears that I'm not so paranoid about people reading it after all....Hm.

Link
Kitty
I promise to read it sometime this month, elphaba!
Mata
I make no such promises, but well done to everyone who managed it! Maybe I'll join in next year.
Greeneyes
I started reading yours, elphaba. I haven't read all of it, but it's certainly an interesting style of writing. I quite like it so far.
elphaba2
Thanks, Greeneyes!

How unusual, to be the only person baring their writerly soul here. Anyone else have an online bit, or at least excerpts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.