Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaNoWriMo
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
vicrawr
Yes! 1,667 or so a day will give you 50,000 in 30 days. Someone on the forums made a report card to keep tabs on your work in Excel. I used it last year and it's helped loads.

NaNoWriMo 2005 Report Card
MistressAlti
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 1 2005, 11:59 AM)

That thing is awesome! Must better than trying to keep track by hand happy.gif

I'm 1,062 in, that's from this morning mostly.
Kitty
During school in my free time I got about 7-800 words down. Not bad, not bad. I hope I dont run out of material!
elphaba2
Ditto. I got a little over 1k during school, and managed to complete alienate my friends in the process. All is proceeding according to expectations--I might even finish this year! Also, that report card is amazing, IrishGuy. Thanks for putting it up (though it just might make me more neurotic unsure.gif )
vicrawr
Just finished an hour's worth. 1,641. Go me. There's my limit for today. I'll probably add on more later, but I've run out of steam.
Kitty
So whats everyone writing about or is it a secret?

Me, I've been wanting to write an autobiography for a long time.... so I am. Its working out fairly well
elphaba2
Mine is unclear--I realized about 200 words in that it's set in my town, and I stole one character from Benny and Joon, but that's alright, I suppose. It's sort of fiction-y and odd, though I'm working not to let it lapse into another Story About Teenagers and Those Awful Drugs They Do like last year.

Also, I pose a plot question to those who see this: While folding laundry, you see an man in a black raincoat standing on a nearby table out of the corner of your eye. How do you respond?
Astarael
Stare out of the corner of my eye, shake my head at the oddness of humanity, and keep folding the clothes. smile.gif
I_am_the_best
I'm writing about a friend and I. I'm going to use another friend but I can't decide who. It's called Seeds of a Dandelion. I should really be writing now. I lack any self discipline, but then again, I find it easier to write when I'm lying in bed so I'll do it then. *sighs at self*
oscarhilton
OOH! OOH! ME ME!! WRITE ABOUT ME!!

[/Spam]
I_am_the_best
QUOTE (oscarhilton @ Nov 1 2005, 10:25 PM)
OOH! OOH! ME ME!! WRITE ABOUT ME!!

[/Spam]

Yeah sure. I just don't know anything about you when you were younger...
oscarhilton
mostly podgie. just as i am now, just chubby
voices_in_my_head
Also, I pose a plot question to those who see this: While folding laundry, you see an man in a black raincoat standing on a nearby table out of the corner of your eye. How do you respond?

I'd stop and turn around to see what he's doing.

And I've typed.... 200 words.

Go me? unsure.gif
Kitty
Just asking for a bit of critique on my opening paragraph. While I was typing it up I noticed that it kind of implies that I'm just talking about that 6th grade year, but I intend to talk about years after that.... The paragraph after this starts writing in past-tense instead of present-tense.... I'm not sure if this would get confusing later on.... But if you think theres a way I could make it more intresting and sound less like every other teen novel (if it does....) Then please tell me

This is me, this is the story of who I am. I dont intend this to sound like every other teenage-meets-puberty novel, because they dont have resolutions, they're just problems

I'm 12 year's old as of January 28th, 2002. My name is Katrina, I attend a school that is often classified as "The Most Ghetto School in Woodbridge" which is pretty audacious, considering there are no ghettos around here. Personally, I like the school. The students are mean to just the right extent, I can still laugh at them. The teachers know me by who I am, not just by name. We have a great unspoken friendship. I'm not the best student, I hate homework, I do it as much as I feel like (which tends to be more than everyone else who hates homework) I didnt't learn much this year as far as school goes, but within myself I flourished.
Phyllis
Kitty - maybe start in the middle of one of those situations in which you flourished that year in order to grab the attention, and go from there. Add in all the other expository stuff in dialogue somewhere or something. ie: have someone mention that the school is the most ghetto school in Woodbridge, and someone else respond that there are no ghettos there. Personally I don't like starting with explanations like that....I just like to start in the middle of something exciting.

That's just me though, and I haven't written any stories since high school. It's all been essays since then. sad.gif And anyway, what am I saying? It's NaNoWriMo, Kitty! No time to improve it, just write write write and then revise it during December! biggrin.gif

I decided to do NaNoWriMo after all. So far I have...let's see....2,094 words. Yay Team Cand! It's a story that's been floating around in my head for at least 10 years now, in one form or another...though it's really changed from the time I was in my early teens! I've never put it on down on paper other than in really brief outlines, because I never thought I had the time. I was always telling myself that I'd just do it later. But when people started prodding me to do NaNoWriMo, I decided to give it a try. It's only a month...I have time enough for that. And maybe I'll succeed. So far it's been going really quickly, but I think that's because the beginning has been pretty well scripted out in my head for awhile now. I used to think about how the first chapter would go while I walked to moop and snoo's in the mornings during the first part of summer.

I just need to find my idea notebook. I used to keep it by my bed and write down all the crazy ideas that came to me in the middle of the night. I graduated high school in 2000, so that's 5 years worth of unused ideas. ohmy.gif
JimiJimi
I think I just wrote five words before giving up. I suck at writing, and I don't have the time for it anyway. Ach well.
Kitty
I managed to get the notebook I'm writing in STUCK in my desk. I cant get it out =(

Cand- I really acctually wanted to start at the beginning of the year with this, just because its more of a biography than anything else, so starting in the middle wouldnt do too well tongue.gif Though its a good idea, I could acctually start with something intresting then backtrack, but that would require me to scrap this thing and start over and I need thoes 1000 words! tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
I'm writing about my favourite person. Me.

I'm telling the stories I tell to people at parties but with much more detail and exaggeration, I'm doing it as a narrative of myself. I'm going to parties, going out drinking, doing drugs and talking about girlfriends. And its very jumpy, going back and forth, explaining and interlooping different elements of what I love doing best. Telling stories.

It's working out very well so far.
Twitching
I'm writing this year! I've started on time and I'm keeping up with my word count.

and I've actually got a plot this time.

Right now it's about a bunch of people in a diner, but it'll be about the end of the world later.

laugh.gif
Apollyon
So far mine is also about the end of the world, and I'll probably carry on having it be about that until I get bored. Then, with the world gone, I have so many new possibilities of what to write about.
Novander
I'm not doing the full nanowrimo, but I am taking this opportunity to get back into writing fiction.

A story about a boy who was scared of the dark, so he created a world of light in his head to hide in at night. Now he's older, and that world is just fragments a childhood memory. But the other inhabitants of that world have grown too, and now they want him back.
vicrawr
QUOTE (Novander @ Nov 3 2005, 01:09 PM)
I'm not doing the full nanowrimo, but I am taking this opportunity to get back into writing fiction.

A story about a boy who was scared of the dark, so he created a world of light in his head to hide in at night. Now he's older, and that world is just fragments a childhood memory. But the other inhabitants of that world have grown too, and now they want him back.

That sounds like a fantastic story. I hope you'll have something soon and that we'll be able to read it.
Usurper MrTeapot
It does indeed sound like a great story. I must read it too!
I_am_the_best
Hmm, change of plot, scrapped the first. I'm now writing about cheating at card games. Much more interesting I think. 1,043 words today, two train journeys. Not doing to badly, just have to catch up on the days I lost...
Kitty
I have to catch up with typing it all up. The bad thing is I get distracted too easially when I'm at my own compter x.x;

Edit: I just thought about this. My parents know I'm writing this story, but its not something I want them to read. They might insist unsure.gif Potentially not good....
elphaba2
Ooh! I have a remedy for this concern: you can password-protect Word documents. Go to "Tools" and then "Options" and select "security" from the popup. There will be a thingy where you can type in a password for it.

Unless your problem is not one of physical "they-shouldn't-see-it". But it's what I do; I just tell them that I'm not comfortable enough showing it around until it's done, and then I pretend that the computer has eaten it when the month ends. Also, a word of warning: don't make a website to track your novel, because last year a pair of determined cousins found mine and showed it off at a family Thanksgiving gathering. All my relations were calling me up to tell me how I should fix paragraphs, et cetera. Twas trés embarassing.

So far I've got around 8,383 words. More or less, that is.
Kitty
Thats a good tip El. Except my parent's dont go through my computer files, I just dont know how to explain to them I dont want them to read it.They wouldnt understand and would think I'm hiding something important from them or something of the sort.

As for how many words I have, I estimate about 4,000. I havent typed it all in yet, so I'm not quite sure. I'm also not so sure I want to go on with the story. I'm wondering if anyone will really want to read it, I mean, my life isnt that intresting, its very important to me and a few other people, but really, what makes me different from every one else? I have yet to be able to answer that question and apply it to what I'm writing, so I havent written anything since Friday....
Apollyon
I think you should definately keep writing your novel! If you scrap it now, you might not start up again. And it shouldn't really matter who wants to read it. Obviously your life is important to you and others you know and love, and if you just try to make your writing as good as you can, I'm sure other people will want to read it too!

Don't give up! Because when you are finished, it will feel so amazing! biggrin.gif
Kitty
Acctually that helped a bit Apollyon, though I'm going to change my perspective on it.... as far as how it starts off.... Hopefully it will be a bit more eye-catching. Or brain-catching, if you will
crackle
DEAR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY HAVE THIS IN THE UK?!

I'VE GOT POSTERS FOR THIS CRAZINESS ALL OVER MY CW CLASS!

cra-hazy.

I believe that anybody who can finish a novel in thirty days and have it not be a piece of...ahem. have it be very bad, deserves pulitzer right away.

I'm going to be writing at least a page a day of a novel, but not for nanowrimo. I'm too new to the game. I'd love to see bits of whatever everybody writes, though, I can't imagine the types of things that would be written...
oscarhilton
I sadly gave up. It wasn't really my falt.

I just lost my time in Homeworks.... grrr....
Apollyon
Ooh! bits of what ppl write???
Want a random bit? This is actually how my novel starts.

Michael slowly opened his eyes, cringing at the fresh stabs of pain the bright light brought into his sockets. A slow thudding in the back of his head started up whenever he moved, so for the time being he was electing to stay completely and totally still.
“MICHAEL!” someone screamed into a megaphone right next to his ear, sending icy shoots of pain zooming straight into the nerve center of his brain, where they were grabbing his nerve centers and throttling them vigorously.
“MICHAEL!” the someone screamed again, this time slightly more insistently. Michael ventured so far as to show a small sign of life by cracking his eyes open again, this time ready for the horrible sensation that followed. When he was finally able to stand the pain, he looked around in search of the screamer, hoping to be able to kill him. Michael was quite surprised instead to see his best friend Gabrielle standing behind him, without microphone, megaphone, or any other instrument of torture.
“Michael, thank goodness you’re up.”
“Wha-” Michael replied incoherently, clasping a hand to his head to try and keep it from throbbing.
“Do you remember anything about what happened last night?” Gabrielle by this point looked slightly worried.
“No… but I think its safe to assume that we might have had a few too many drinks, judging from the hammer that is incessantly trying to break its way through my skull.”
“So you don’t remember anything at all? No games we might have played? Stupid things we might have done?”
“Umm… not really. Should I?” Michael tried to think back to last night. The last thing he remembered was something about a drinking game… or was it just drinking? Or was that the night before? Every day past when God left on his supposed business trip was just a hazy blur filled with empty beer bottles and half-naked Earth chicks.
“Well, you had better start remembering pretty soon, because we have a major situation here.”
“Huh?” Michael was beginning to feel even more confused than usual.
“Would you mind taking a small peek down Earthside?” Gabrielle, seeing Michael’s hesitance, decided to help out, and shoved his aching head under the clouds and towards Earth.
“Uh, Gabrielle, I think you might have shoved me in the wrong direction, because there isn’t any Earth down here.”
“There isn’t any Earth down there, there isn’t any Earth over that way, and there isn’t any Earth up here. Do you know why this might be?”
“No…” Michael was starting to get inklings of an approaching disaster.
“Because… there isn’t an Earth ANYWHERE!”
“What are you talking about. Of course there’s an Earth. It should be right where we left it.” But somewhere deep in his mind, a foggy memory was permeating through to Michaels conscious thought. They had, in fact, been playing a drinking game the night before, and they had, in fact, gotten completely smashed. The drinking game then somehow evolved into a drunken bragging game, with Michael bragging about how he didn’t care what God thought, because God was overrated anyway. Gabrielle, picking up on this, challenged him to show his defiance toward God by plunging God’s prize possession, the Earth, straight into the burning depths of the sun. Needless to say, one thing led to the other, and now the two archangels were left Earthless, and God was expected to come back in just a few days.
“Oh, sh**” breathed Michael.
“Oh, holy sh**.” corrected Gabrielle.

Yes I know, completely random... it sorta sets the tone for the rest of my novel.........
vicrawr
QUOTE (Apollyon @ Nov 7 2005, 08:53 PM)
Ooh! bits of what ppl write???
Want a random bit?  This is actually how my novel starts.

[Insert Novel Bit Here.]

Yes I know, completely random... it sorta sets the tone for the rest of my novel.........

I didn't think I would like it, really. I wasn't even going to read it. But...jeeze. That is fantastic! I hope you do go on with it.
Kitty
I read it too, it does sound REALLY awsome. You had better finish it, otherwise you might have quite a few forumites (or atleast two tongue.gif ) after you. Well, your brain anyway....

Who's going to be posting their novel somewhere? And if so, where?
Mata
Apollyon, that's a great start to a story. I'll be interested to know where you go from there. I can imagine finding locations might be a bit tricky!
Kitty
I estimate being up to 7,000-8,000 words. Though I'm only in the beginning of my story, I dont think I can make it to 50,000 ohmy.gif !! *worry*

Especially by the end of the month!I'm going to have to invest in a couple pots of coffee every night and very small amounts of sleep! Which I think willl be fun.... But I've been writing things down on paper first and now I"m transferring them to the comp and its taking ForEVER to type up x.x;

Anyone else having problems? tongue.gif
elphaba2
Yes. Me. Exact same one.

*resumes typing up messily handwritten pages*

Edit: It came out at 11, 476, which isn't too bad. A pot of coffee and not doing my global homework and I should come out even by midnight.
Kitty
I gave up tongue.gif I'm doing homework and trying to research my own life (weird, I know) to figure out what I'm going to do next....
vicrawr
I do have the same problem. My current word count is at 8,891 and by the end of today I should have 15,003 to stay within my minimum daily word count. Getting behind is killer.
MistressAlti
I've had to play catch-up too. I worked hard this afternoon and now I'm only 1000 behind, which isn't so bad.
Kitty
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 9 2005, 09:33 PM)
I do have the same problem. My current word count is at 8,891 and by the end of today I should have 15,003 to stay within my minimum daily word count. Getting behind is killer.

Is that what we should be up to?! I'm toast.
vicrawr
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 9 2005, 10:15 PM)

Yeah. Easy way to do it is to multiply the day by 1,667. Since today is the 10th, the minimum for today would be 16,670.
Phyllis
I'm at 20,153. biggrin.gif

However, I no longer am so certain what's going to happen. I mean, I know how it'll end...but I have about 80 more pages till that starts. unsure.gif
Kitty
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 10 2005, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 9 2005, 10:15 PM)

Yeah. Easy way to do it is to multiply the day by 1,667. Since today is the 10th, the minimum for today would be 16,670.

*is a peice of toast*

/spam
elphaba2
Speaking of food groups, I'm at the library trying to finish my word count for the day (just 2,000 more words!) and someone smells like really old Swiss cheese. It's disgusting.
vicrawr
Oh come on! I know you folks can do it. I find that having Word Wars with friends really help. You get a friend who's doing it too and grab them on AIM or IRC or MSN or some sort of messenging system. Then you set a length of time, ten, fifteen, thirty minutes and write as hard as you can. Once the time is up, whoever's got the most words written (not the highest total) wins!

It's great if you really wanna win. Helps out the word count too.
Phyllis
QUOTE (crackle @ Nov 6 2005, 10:15 PM)
I believe that anybody who can finish a novel in thirty days and have it not be a piece of...ahem. have it be very bad, deserves pulitzer right away.

Well, I just think of it as a very rough draft. I don't think anyone who writes novels seriously does so in only one draft...

NaNoWriMo just provides motivation for people to get their ideas down on paper. After it's all over, they're free to go back and shape it into something that's actually worth reading.
Mata
I thought that they just swaggered around at parties and say 'oh yes, well in my novel I covered that as a theme, you know.'
vicrawr
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 11 2005, 03:29 AM)
I thought that they just swaggered around at parties and say 'oh yes, well in my novel I covered that as a theme, you know.'

We do! And it comes in really handy for picking up girls at bookstores. 'Say, have you ever dated a novelist before? *exaggerated eyebrow wiggle*'
Kitty
Well the exaggerated eyebrow wiggle tends to ruin it.... But other than that, definatley!

tongue.gif !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.