Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh My God
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
MrRandomQuotes
Well for the last week I've been suffereing from acute migrains. These have been screwing up my sleep patterns, meaning I've been missing college and that when I am there i'm not exactly concentrating. Or for that matter seeing particularly straight.

This morning I went to see the doctor and he prescibed me Cyproheptadine. For a month

In this month i cannot:
Consume alcohol or any recreational drugs
Take any other drugs or medicines
Drive or operate heavy machinery (like I'm actually going to do either of those things)

Plus it has an impressive list of side effecs. Here are the highlights:
sedation, disturbed co-ordination, confusion, nervousness, trembeling, inability to sleep, numbness, paralysis, convultions, hallucinations, blurred or double vision, liver disorders including hepatitis and jaundice and diarrhoea.

So the question is would you take this or put up with head spliting migrains for god knows how long?
Mata
I'm slightly worried that you need to ask the question in the first place. You take the medicine, silly. No migraines > no alcohol.
Ashbless
Is it a medication you'll be on for life or is it one that you're taking to stabilize your condition and then you'll be weaned off of it?
Are the side effects a 'this will happen' or 'this might happen'?

As for avoiding the alcohol and recreational drugs for a month I say go for it. It's sometimes a hoot to be the sober one who remembers the table dancing. Alcohol also can depress intimate reactions that you'll be fully there to enjoy without it, if you catch my drift. wink.gif

Hope the migrains are soon a thing of the past.
little_bear
Hope you get better soon! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

*hugz*
Calantyr
Erm... I'm a little worried by those side effects. Some pretty serious side effects... including lack of sleep which seems to be one of the problems in the first place.

Get well soon.
Chronotub
I would guess that those side affects are fairly rare (they sound worse than the migrains) but if you are unsure your probably best off discussing it with your docter.
Forever Unknown
QUOTE (little_bear @ Oct 6 2005, 04:36 PM)
Hope you get better soon! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

*hugz*

You're such a shining light of encouragment and goodness. Huggles to little_bear! You're the loveliest person ever and I'm going to buy you a kitten.

Anyway!

Medication + Alcohol = bad. I'm told that mixing the both means alcohol cancels out the medication... This could be totally fabricated. However, it certainly does mean that the alcohol goes through your system quicker, so be wary of that.
little_bear
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Oct 6 2005, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (little_bear @ Oct 6 2005, 04:36 PM)

*hugz*

You're such a shining light of encouragment and goodness. Huggles to little_bear! You're the loveliest person ever and I'm going to buy you a kitten.

You are a shining bastion of angelic light, Forever Unknown, but I am not worthy of your offering of kittens; for underneath this happy exterior lies a maelstrom of pain and anguish. Come, let us cut ourselves in unison whilst recounting all those times we got dumped.

smile.gif
Pikasyuu
Aw, I'm so glad to see you two ban to help everyone out in PC. Keep up the good work! smile.gif
Forever Unknown
QUOTE (little_bear @ Oct 6 2005, 08:44 PM)
You are a shining bastion of angelic light, Forever Unknown, but I am not worthy of your offering of kittens; for underneath this happy exterior lies a maelstrom of pain and anguish. Come, let us cut ourselves in unison whilst recounting all those times we got dumped.

smile.gif

Oh, little_bear, you poor soul! Come, let me dry your tears on this handkerchief embroidered by angels. Our wounds will reflect our sins. And then we will feed the starving, give them hugs despite their many cancers, and purify ourselves in the light of the Almighty God.

We will save you, little_bear. We will save your soul!
little_bear
I will pray for that day. Nay! We will pray for that day! Under the beat of the wing's of angel our tears will run as a river of blood. But they don't understand us; how deep we are, the pain we've endured. You & I, we have attained a level of emotion none shall find within themselves.

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad you are here for me. smile.gif
Pikasyuu
*Yawn* Cute, we get the point, now stfu and let this guy get on with his thread. At least if you're going to play stupid, you could've picked a thread that actually reflected the kind of sentiment you're mocking. And yes, the post of mine before that was sarcasm. Make your own thread for this, and I'll happily move it to daft. :)
Forever Unknown
I am glad you are here for me.

I am. Always and forever.

*cries*
Forever Unknown
QUOTE (syuu @ Oct 6 2005, 09:05 PM)
*Yawn* Cute, we get the point, now stfu and let this guy get on with his thread. At least if you're going to play stupid, you could've picked a thread that actually reflected the kind of sentiment you're mocking. And yes, the post of mine before that was sarcasm. Make your own thread for this, and I'll happily move it to daft. smile.gif

Now, come on... I did post a valid point. Now we're having fun, and not doing it in an offensive way. I don't see what's wrong with that. It's very silly, yes. Silly is good!
CommieBastard
What's wrong is that you're spamming up somebody else's thread. Like syuu said, make your own in Daft.
Forever Unknown
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 6 2005, 09:20 PM)
What's wrong is that you're spamming up somebody else's thread. Like syuu said, make your own in Daft.

But other people do this with other people's thread all the time! For example, the thread where we quoted reams and reams of Boosh! Completely irrelevant to the topic, but fun. I can't see why it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

*editted to add* - People can completely ignore these posts, like the did in the aforementioned threads, if they like. No harm, no foul. I've got to admit, it seems like a few people have been scolded of late - maybe justified, maybe not - for things that were really quite harmless. And now they're being even more scorned because of this. I don't think it's fair, is all.
CommieBastard
That was a thread about a hypothetical greatest band in the world, not a thread about medication and alcoholism. Personal Concerns is, well, personal. It's meant to be a forum where people who, I quote, "need to talk about something away from your physical surroundings, a shoulder to cry on, a place to ask for advice about problems you're having, or about something that is happening to friends" post. Which is why we don't like people taking the piss here.

(admittedly the presence of the "Penis Poll" and "Big Boob Debate" threads undermine my point slightly, but I don't really think they belong here)
Astarael
The "Boob Debate" and "Penis Poll" threads really belong in Daft. For some reason they started out in Issues. huh.gif I don't know why.
Anyway, don't drink whilst you're on medication. Some things react very badly with alcohol, so go dry for a month and see if the medication helps your migraines. If it doesn't help after a few months, ask for a different medication. If you can't find a good medication *then* go back to drinking. Migraines going away is a good thing, and it's worth the temporary loss of alcohol.
CommieBastard
MrRandomQuotes, will it really be that difficult for you to not drink or do drugs in a month? If so, then you should probably be doing it less... that's a bad sign.
heavenlychild_87
DUDE? i would much rather cry in pain with migranes than to have all those uncomfortable side effects... i know that sounds kind of dumb but if i had to choose between tons of side effects and just a few migranes, i would choose the migranes. i'm not the type to take medication and have all these uncomfortable and most annoying side effects sad.gif
Pikasyuu
They're not all certain. He may experience none, he may experience all, and that's very unlikely. Migraines hurt - I'd suffer the side effects.
Mata
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 6 2005, 10:11 PM)
The "Boob Debate" and "Penis Poll" threads really belong in Daft. For some reason they started out in Issues.  huh.gif I don't know why.

I think of Daft as the most young-person friendly bit of the forum. I think that there is an expectation of a certain level of explicitness when you go into a forum about personal concerns, so I decided that they were more appropriately relocated here. Also, size of anatomy is often a personal concern!
Astarael
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 10 2005, 07:46 AM)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 6 2005, 10:11 PM)
The "Boob Debate" and "Penis Poll" threads really belong in Daft. For some reason they started out in Issues.  huh.gif I don't know why.

I think of Daft as the most young-person friendly bit of the forum. I think that there is an expectation of a certain level of explicitness when you go into a forum about personal concerns, so I decided that they were more appropriately relocated here. Also, size of anatomy is often a personal concern!

Good point. Is the youngest member still little_twit? I've been wondering what the average forumite age is here. I'm guessing mid-twenties, but I'm not really sure.
I suppose people go wherever they like here, but the younger people do tend to post a lot more in Daft and Games, now that I bother to think of it.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 12 2005, 06:35 PM)
Good point. Is the youngest member still little_twit? I've been wondering what the average forumite age is here. I'm guessing mid-twenties, but I'm not really sure.
I suppose people go wherever they like here, but the younger people do tend to post a lot more in Daft and Games, now that I bother to think of it.

Average used to be somewhere in the 15-18 range, actually. It may be a little higher now but I'd still assume it's under age 20.
Dige
Take the meds dude. Guys, you don't know what it's like to be in serious pain, and then it all goes away. That has to be the best feeling in the world, and is worth a lot of side-effects. Also I've been on Pain-Killers before, and those side-effects are normally pretty rare.

PS. I've had people offer to buy mine, not that I'm selling, as I want to use them, but they do sell for a lot.
Mata
Given the spaced out feeling I had last Christmas when I had pain killers for an ear infection (which the people at the hospital told me is one of the most painful things that you can have) I can well believe that people would pay good money for them. Personally I hated it. I couldn't work out how to pack shopping bags in a logical manner, and for me that's a serious drop in mental accuity. I really hope I never go senile, because if that's what it's like I'd rather not go through it.
MrRandomQuotes
Well, I took the meds for a whole 3 days

It didnt stop the pain, just kinda dulled it. And on top of that it made me feel all fuzzy and happy and tired. So I've stopped taking them and, like magic, no pain!!

Guess that sorts that problem out
Mata
I guess it depends what the cause of the migraines was to begin with. Hopefully you're cured; however, it might be a good idea to hold off from drinking for a while anyway. It dehydrates the body which can cause serious headaches.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
The "Boob Debate" and "Penis Poll" threads really belong in Daft. For some reason they started out in Issues. huh.gif I don't know why.

The Boob Debate did actually start off in Daft but was moved by a Mod.

/spam
Mata
At the time we didn't have a Personal Concerns forum, and it seemed a bit explicit to have the threads in Daft (again, because I/we regard Daft as a more 'family-friendly' place on the forums).
EvilSpork
I can't say I've ever had any of the more serious side effects of drugs. They do bother me though. Why should we have to worry about going into cardiac arrest on something that should be helping us?

I've never had a serious migraine, the closest I've been is an ear infection that I cried through and couldn't sleep with. I would hate to know what it is like so I can't see why you would suffer through it rather than take the risks.

I'd say the benefits may outweigh the side effects. Except for that whole paralysis bit...

Edit: Ignore me. I didn't look at dates or read the second page.
Mata
Most of the drugs that are taken by people on a regular basis have some very severe warnings associated with them. A friend at university showed me one for an eczema cream she had. I swear, after the list of possible ailments that might be related to the use of the cream I wouldn't have been surprised to see 'death' at the end.
pgrmdave
One of my friends uses either the same or a similar cream, and it is amazing what kinds of problems, including death, can occur. Sometimes the disease is better than the cure.
EvilSpork
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Oct 17 2005, 08:04 PM)
One of my friends uses either the same or a similar cream, and it is amazing what kinds of problems, including death, can occur.  Sometimes the disease is better than the cure.

And really, in a number of cases, I think it probably is. Especially with bacterial infections. Antibiotics just help bacteria when you get right down to it.

Also, in the case of fibromyalgia, they can often make it worse. My aunt and a close friend of mine both have the complications, and in both cases I've noticed they just deteriorate with the more medications and pain killers they're put on. It seems like the chemicals just end up making things worse.

I really sometimes question a lot of the chemicals we use in every day life.
Star_of_Lei
I know my Grandad's steroids make him get serious road rage if he takes the amount he's supposed to, so instead he only takes half and remains sane. Well as sane as anyone on my dad's side can be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.