Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foods you invented!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PsychWardMike
I was hanging out the other day and found myself a bit peckish. I of course reached for a cup of cold coffee (with cream and a little sugar) and a few cookies (chocolate chip!) Anyway, I was enjoying my little snack when it dawned on me that it might just be a good idea to dunk my cookie in my coffee. I proceeded to do so and found to my amazement, it was really tasty!

Also to my credit is the ever so tasty batch of ramen noodles (preferably Oriental, Chicken, or Shrimp flavored) mixed with a can of tuna or salmon, peas, and lemon juice. It's what kings want when they eat Ramen! And often less than a dollar!

So, this got me to thinkin'... what foods have you made as an impromptu solution to your hunger?

Recipes would be appreciated!
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Oct 18 2005, 02:25 AM)
Anyway, I was enjoying my little snack when it dawned on me that it might just be a good idea to dunk my cookie in my coffee.  I proceeded to do so and found to my amazement, it was really tasty!

uhh....I don't think that's really _your_ idea persay. Loads of people dunk.
Mata
Cheese sandwiches dunked in chicken cup-a-soup is very tasty.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Chili Con Carne Lasagne. Although, I believe Iceland do a version now. dry.gif

I make lots of things involving mince if I'm skint. Just mince, gravy, peas and then whatever I can find in the way of other vegetables and herbs/spices. Usually served with rice.
CommieBastard
As far as impromptu solutions to hunger go, I like Everything Stew. Go through your food stores, find a decent amount of tasty food, and chuck it in a pot. Tinned tomatoes are good for making sure there's enough fluid in it. Simmer for a while, and you're done.
MrRandomQuotes
2 of my late night, drunk-but-sobering-up and still good to eat in the morning recipes:

Pasta, a can of tuna, mayonase, sweetcorn, onion and cheese.
Cook the pasta then wash it in cold water. add the tuna and sweetcorn and then chop an onion into little bits and grate cheese. Mix it all together and voila!

Baked beans (heinz for preferance) mango chutney, wosteshier sauce(sp??), hp sauce, mustard, butter or cheese, chilli sauce, soy sauce, cumin, oregano, 5 spices.
Just mix it all together and have it on toast. Bovril on the toast goes too.
The ingredients are all optional and pretty much anything goes.
elphaba2
Last year, I invented the cheese-and-tomato sandwich. It was delicious, but I didn't really invent it.

Also: brewed coffee with almond extract in the water (just a few drops) and cinnamon sprinkled in the filter. It is so good.

Edit: Not invented by me, but iron-on grilled cheese sandwichs are both thrifty and delicious. Simply add butter, wrap in foil and set to "cotton". That was my hotel-room dinner tonight smile.gif
bryden42
I'm with Commie on this, Tinned tomatoes are the base for what I call GLOP, pretty much anything else goes in but normally involves tuna and worcester sauce.
Daria
Butternut squash and roasted red pepper soup, with some toasted pine nuts thrown in for good measure.

Oh, and the general "What fruit do I have which is starting to go off?"-in-sponge cakes I make are pretty good too biggrin.gif
JimiJimi
Mouth Gravy. Consists of gravy granules and mouth. Very nice.

The same applies for Mouth Mash, Mouth Porridge and Mouth Coffee.
Kitty
Awgh.... that sounds gross Jimmi Jimmi.

Someone once told me ketchup with ice cream is good- I agree. Only if its vanilla ice cream though.

I also invented the cream cheese sammich. Consisting of cream cheese with pepper....
I like cheese o.0
voices_in_my_head
This isn't really a new substitute for mayonaise, but I always use ranch dressing instead of mayonaise on my sandwitches because it taste better and is probly at least a bit better for you.

A tip for what not to try: A sandwich with
Itailian salad dressing
Tomatoes
Pickles
(this is where it all starts going wrong)
potatoes chips
slightly old chedder cheese
and sausege (I can't spell it, I know)

I'm kinda hopeing that none of you were tempted to try that anyway. laugh.gif
MrRandomQuotes
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Oct 18 2005, 10:54 PM)
A tip for what not to try: A sandwich with
Itailian salad dressing
Tomatoes
Pickles
(this is where it all starts going wrong)
potatoes chips
slightly old chedder cheese
and sausege (I can't spell it, I know)

I'm kinda hopeing that none of you were tempted to try that anyway. laugh.gif

???
sausage and crisp sandwichs are part of what i grew up on!!!

There are some strange people in this world, and I'm happy to be one of them
Ashbless
QUOTE (Kitty @ Oct 18 2005, 02:03 PM)
Someone once told me ketchup with ice cream is good- I agree. Only if its vanilla ice cream though.

You and my little brother would get along fine. He also views ketchup as something that goes well with everything.

There's a brew pub in Victoria B.C. that offers apple cider vinegar with vanilla ice cream as a dessert. It's very good.
Kitty
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Oct 18 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Kitty @ Oct 18 2005, 02:03 PM)

You and my little brother would get along fine. He also views ketchup as something that goes well with everything.

Note: I LOATHE ketchup. Honestly. The only thing I eat it on is noodles.... and thats with some butter and lots of tobasco tongue.gif Yummm (invention of my mums....)

Though I did rather like the ice cream with ketchup, I wont eat it again x.x; I just dont like ketchup enough.

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Oct 18 2005, 07:23 PM)
There's a brew pub in Victoria B.C. that offers apple cider vinegar with vanilla ice cream as a dessert.  It's very good.

I'd think the vinegar would curtle the ice cream?....
Phyllis
I don't think I really invented it but...cheesy mushroom rice.

I was making rice, and didn't know what to put on snoo's since I was putting chilli sauce on mine and moop's (and she'd have died if I put it on hers). So I sauteed some mushrooms, grated some mature cheddar (GOD I miss English cheese), and voila.

Also probably not invented by me, but I like putting all the stuff from a sandwich into a tortilla instead.

Oh! There is this zucchini, squash, and carrot relish that my mother made and canned ages ago when she had far too many of all of the above one year after harvesting. No one in the family eats it except me...I love it on toast with red pepper flakes. Mmm.

Once, out of desperation, I had whipped cream on toast. It actually wasn't half bad. Partially frozen, though, due to being in the freezer (the whipped cream and bread were the only things in the house). I find that most things + toast = yum.
Pikasyuu
bread pizza. I don't know if people have, but, when I was poor/starving, all I did was make toast, spread marinara on it, add some mozzarella cheese, and top with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms..whatever. Oh, and then microwave it. Actually very good. :)
Mata
I make non-traditional pizzas fairly often. Crumpets and muffins (svaoury ones, obviously) are also good choices. I have to say though, you can't have been that poor if you have mozzarella lying around!
Kitty
In the U.S. mozerella comes in low-moisture shredded and then bagged form. Its not the nice fresh stuff thats all soft and yummy. A big huge bag of it is maybe 5 bucks at Food Lion....

sad.gif Silly americans....
elphaba2
Ahhhhh Food Lion! We don't have them up north but they seem to be the only grocery store once you hit Virginia or so. Here the prevelent food emporium is {swank} Food Emporium{/swank}

Yeesh, spam. Sorry.
Kitty
North is to Food Lion and Giant as south is to Piggly Wiggly and Win Dixy....

And other such chains tongue.gif I wish I had a grocery store called the Piggly Wiggly! I'd laugh every time.... (I suppose Food Lion isnt much better....)
Mata
Piggly Wiggly and Win Dixy? Sheesh, everytime I make something up in my head the Americans find something even more daft and do it for real...
LoLo
Win Dixy has great meats. That's all I really wanted to say.
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 21 2005, 08:51 AM)
Piggly Wiggly and Win Dixy? Sheesh, everytime I make something up in my head the Americans find something even more daft and do it for real...

Dont you love us?! biggrin.gif

^___________^
CommieBastard
I told some friends of mine recently about the Extreme Jam Sandwich, and one of them thinks she may have topped that with the Extreme Cheese Toastie. As you might guess, it's a piece of toast with melted cheese on both sides. Genius.
Kitty
How do you manage that! Once you melt the cheese on one side then you have to flip it over and melt it onto the other, but by then the cheese is already sticking to your pan/plate/hand

! *bows down to Commie for his awesome take on extreme jam sammich making/eating*

I created macaroni and cheese with low moisture shredded mozerella added in (haha, see, we acctually _try_ to use the stuff....) with hotsauce for extra flavorage. I dont really reccomend it, it was stringy and the cheese is crap and the only reason I made it is because we have a 3 pound bag of the crap and nothing to use it on. I dont want it molding x.X;
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 24 2005, 11:06 PM)
I told some friends of mine recently about the Extreme Jam Sandwich, and one of them thinks she may have topped that with the Extreme Cheese Toastie. As you might guess, it's a piece of toast with melted cheese on both sides. Genius.

I invented that! I was experimenting to find the best burger ever known. One with cheese on toast (some may know of my obsession) but on both sides. The burger flopped but the cheese toastie was fun and sexy.
Calantyr
Made a delicious pasta bake the other day.

Lamb mince, tonnes of macaroni, all the seasoning that goes with, and given a delicious crunch by mixing in crushed pringles along with the MASSIVE ammounts of cheese topping.

Then served piping hot along with a dollop of delicious thick cool mayonaise.

Oh man oh man oh man. You so need to do it. It's like sex on a fork. Just don't forget the Worchester sauce!
ANIME JUNKY
Sounds cool but idk all though ill try the cookies and coffee but the other things i dont understand the other things. huh.gif
Cath Sparrow
I've been know to do a Jam toastie that could be classed as Xtreme but not cause it has jam on both sides but because it's bloody dangerous.
Make a Jam samwhich with as much jam as you (in my case alot) stick in toastie maker (the type that seals the edges) And Voila one jam toasie. Yummy!*

*burns caused by above quoted samwhich are at uses own risk carefull consumation of said samwhich must be practiced at all times.
Kitty
Oh! I thought of one I do sometimes....

A little background: I've been trying to make good cookies for ages, and they always _taste_ fine, they just dont look fine. They always kinda turn flat.... and melt together into a puddle.... ew.

So my solution to the problem is to put the whole batch of cookies into a cake pan and bake it like that, then cut it into slices happy.gif
pgrmdave
I like to experiment with soups. Just start with a good stock, add some meat, vegatables, and experiment with spices!
elphaba2
I invented the Hyperdose today. It's a drink of orange and cranberry juice, with a healthy dash of seltzer and a too-cool name. Don't add ginger though--that just funks with your tastebuds.
Kitty
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Oct 24 2005, 08:01 PM)
Made a delicious pasta bake the other day.

Lamb mince, tonnes of macaroni, all the seasoning that goes with, and given a delicious crunch by mixing in crushed pringles along with the MASSIVE ammounts of cheese topping.

Then served piping hot along with a dollop of delicious thick cool mayonaise.

Oh man oh man oh man. You so need to do it. It's like sex on a fork. Just don't forget the Worchester sauce!

I could try it if I knew what 'mince' was....

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Oct 26 2005, 07:34 PM)
I invented the Hyperdose today. It's a drink of orange and cranberry juice, with a healthy dash of seltzer and a too-cool name. Don't add ginger though--that just funks with your tastebuds.

We do that but minus the orange juice.... well I think I use to add orange juice when I was smaller because I like juice.... but in my house my dad will ask for a 'big drink' which is basically a liter glass of seltzer with a splash of cranberry for yummy flavorage
Phyllis
QUOTE (Kitty @ Oct 27 2005, 07:57 PM)
I could try it if I knew what 'mince' was....

Ground meat.

I am currently eating a concoction of barbecue sauce and mushroom on top of toast.

I should really get help for this toast addiction...most of my meals seem to revolve around it these days!
Kitty
So then Calantyr's invention is just hyped up hamburger helper! ish! Stuff....

I dont think I can get lamb around here o.o

Toast is always good! I had toast with 2 day old cold bacon on it yesterday for Brekky.... mmm
JimiJimi
I'm sure I've posted this somewhere before but I can't find the post anywhere... ah well.

The Cheese on Toast cycle.

Cheese on Toast.

Cheese and Worcester sauce on Toast.

Cheese and Milk on Toast.

Cheese and Spicy Salsa dip on Toast.

And so on. Basically, grate the cheese then add in all the randomness you can. The salsa dip one is absolutely amazingly tasteness.

Oh yeah, I've also been making some really great vegetable soups recently. Mainly revolving around leek and potato, or peas, or some other stuff.
I_am_the_best
"Apply Smushly Things"

Basically, you bung together some flour, butter and sugar to make a dough (a little milk if needed aswell). Chop several apples to new levels of small. Push all the chopped apple together in one big pile and take lots more slashes at it with a nice sharp knife to make it even tinier. The roll out the dough into little circles and put some of the apple mush in the middle. Sprinkle a little mixed spice in aswell. Fold up the dough. Sprinkle a little more mixed spice on top and put them in the oven. Keep checking until they look good to eat. But they're good to eat even raw, although you feel slightly ill afterwards.

Tastiness without the need of any cullinary skills.
sjbbandgeek
As far as I'm concerned, my cousin invented the alphabet sandwich, known as a fridge cleaner. The only requirement is that you must have an ingrediant from every letter of the alphabet.
Kitty
That sounds like it could be potentially dangerous and very drippy, seeing as most of whats in my fridge is condiments (my mom likes sauces on EVERYTHING) I'd end up with mustard, jelly, pickle and deli meat variations all on a few slices of bread....
Kitty
Macaroni and cheese with Ranch dressing poured on top and topped off with some bacon. Yum.
Kitty
Hot chocolatey milk with eggnog mixed in. Mmm ^^
Daria
My ultimate Christmas sandwich! Granary bread (from Metfield Organic Bakery); warm bread sauce used instead of butter; cranberry, chestnut and mushroom nut loaf (sliced); hot roast potatoes (sliced); home-made cranberry sauce; and finally- hot cabbage.

The best breakfast I have has since Christmas morning biggrin.gif

OO! And a new thing my mum made- Cranberry Curd. Like lemon Curd, only with cranberries. Fantastic on home-made bagels biggrin.gif
Phyllis
Okay...what is "warm bread sauce?" blink.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (candice @ Dec 28 2005, 07:49 PM)
Okay...what is "warm bread sauce?"  blink.gif

You don't have bread sauce? You poor, unfortunate, depreived people. It's basically a sauce made from bread, milk, cream, onion and nutmeg. It's really nice, you have it with your turkey on Xmas day.

yeah, my "27-30 December Sammich"

Get a big slice of bread, add turkey, stuffing, sauges, bacon (basically whatever you've got left over from Xmas dinner). Then... the piece de resistance... congealed gravy. Second slice of bread, job's a good 'un.

This probably doesn't count as my invention 'cos loads of people do it, but it's really nice.
Daria
Yeas, but CM- you missed out the bread sauce biggrin.gif
Candice- it is the best thing ever. Just so... delicious!
little_bear
Eugh! Bread sauce? I can't stand the stuff personally. It's the only food that genuinely makes me retch when I eat it.

Earlier, I made myself a 'Meat-Feast' sandwich. It contained:

Chicken,
Bacon,
Turkey,
Beef,
Sausage,
Mushrooms

All with a generous dollop of tomato ketchup and on white bread.

Mmmm. Unhealthy, but damn tasty.
EvilSpork
Not completely original...

Curry sauce, not bad on rice...

1 onion chopped
1 tablespoon oil or butter, something.
1 tablespoon flour
2-3 tablespoons curry powder (let you know how to make some if you don't have it already made)
1 tomato, peeled und chopped
1/4 cup chopped apple
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken or something, whatever you prefer, I'm vegetarian though - I'll tell you how I made mine.)

Saute onion in butter/oil/whatever until golden. Add flour and curry powder then stir until smooth and blended. Tomato, apple, brown sugar, and broth go in... Stir until smooth and thickened. Taste is a bit stronger if you let it cool then reheat it when you want it.

And curry powder, if you haven't cheated and just used the pre-made store kind...

Coriander seed
Saffron if ye've got it
cumin
mustard seed
crushed red pepper
poppy seed
(none of the following are absolutely necessary, but are nice)
ginger
turmeric
paprika

Voila, curry powder... Go by taste, that's why I haven't included any measurements.

And the vegetable broth...

1 1/2 cup water
1 onion chopped
Couple leeks, if you've got them
clove or two of garlic put through pressed
turmeric
ginger
cayenne
whatever other spices or vegetables you feel like

Again with the spices, go by taste. Boil it all for a while then put it through a strainer, or something else that will effectively remove the mushy overcooked vegetables used only for flavour.

Sorry I only know the US measurements tongue.gif
elphaba2
That looks like something I'll be making very often! Woo Spoon for posting it.

This morning, I developed a supremely delicious peanut-butter, almond, banana and pear sandwich, because I feared the fruit would not last any longer than today and maybe a bit of tomorrow. It was made better by a small dribble of honey.
Kitty
Honestly, till recently, I had no idea the 'curry' was a mixture of spices. We always had curry, ketchup and hotdogs when I was a kid, and I just thought of curry as the little mound of spice that was piled on my plate.

In Germany they have curry ketchup, already pre-mixed, which is probably where the curry-and-ketchup idea came from....

Ah, and to add on, something my mom use to pack for me and my brother's lunch when we were kids- liverwurst and alphalpha sprout sammiches. Now that I look back on it I cant believe I at it, and I cant believe I dont remember anyone saying anything to me about "WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU EATING??" but hey, I liked it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.