Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foods you invented!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daria
My mum recently made chestnut cheesecake- which is (surprisingly) delicious. I always thought of chestnuts as savoury things, but I have been proven wrong! biggrin.gif
I_am_the_best
I was reading a book my sister was given for Christmas about student recipes and there was a thing called 'Fairy Bread'. It's just a piece of buttered bread with lots of sugar sprinkles (hundreds and thousands?) all over it. It tastes _good_. I know it's not really my invention but I thought it's fun to put it here.
Jonman
During a very hungover morning at work many years ago, I came up with the novel concept of Red Bull coffee - make instant coffee, but use red bull instead of water.

I've never had the balls to try it, and I'll not be held responsible for the injuries or deaths that occur to anyone that does.
Kitty
That sounds.... quite disgusting.... and yet I feel very compelled to try it.... I'll update you if I end up with a redbull in my hands and coffee at hand tongue.gif
The Lorax
Pinapple Captain Morgan in Pepsi tastes like Skittles.

I kid you not. It's good. Two thumbs up ^.^

(Yes, I know I'm too young to drink...shhhh)
Jonman
Ooh! Ooh! You've just reminded me SkittleBrau (can't be bothered to find the u with an umlaut)...

I must credit to to my mate Ben, but I have a feeling he might have picked it up from somewhere else. Possibly even the Simpsons.

Either way, toss a handful of Skittles into some lager, and hey presto! SkittleBrau. It's quite good, it is. Makes the last half of your pint taste Skittley.
Astarael
I like squeezing bits of cheddar cheese into balls about the size of my last pinkie joint and sticking three or four pieces of popcorn to the outside. It's quite good, especially if the popcorn is buttery.
Kitty
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 2 2006, 06:29 PM)
During a very hungover morning at work many years ago, I came up with the novel concept of Red Bull coffee - make instant coffee, but use red bull instead of water.

I've never had the balls to try it, and I'll not be held responsible for the injuries or deaths that occur to anyone that does.

I never want to be hungover, if I'm going to come up with stuff like that. My first sip of the stuff reminded made me think of a backed up toilet.... Ew.

QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 6 2006, 05:40 PM)
Ooh! Ooh! You've just reminded me SkittleBrau (can't be bothered to find the u with an umlaut)...

I must credit to to my mate Ben, but I have a feeling he might have picked it up from somewhere else. Possibly even the Simpsons.

Either way, toss a handful of Skittles into some lager, and hey presto! SkittleBrau. It's quite good, it is. Makes the last half of your pint taste Skittley.

And thats definatley from The Simpsons
I_am_the_best
The fast way to do sandwhiches:

Slice one piece of bread. Squish it up until it because a ball of bready goodness. Stick your thumb and make a hole in the centre. Mash/rip/break up your favourite filling(s) and stick them in the middle hole. Close the entrance to the hole and there you have a sandwhich ball thing which is good for munching whilst walking down the street because it's like an apple.
Kitty
I use to make breadballs out of the squishy inside of crusty bread when I was little. Then I'd leave them in cupholders in cars and forget about them, only to find them months later as a nice hard thing to throw at my brother's head!

/xpam

Never thought of doing that and making it into a sammich form, thanks for the idea IATB
Light bulb
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Oct 18 2005, 07:28 PM)
I'm with Commie on this, Tinned tomatoes are the base for what I call GLOP, pretty much anything else goes in but normally involves tuna and worcester sauce.

I have moved on from the Tesco value tomatoes to the value Bean! Mix a tin of cheap beans in with
1 teaspoon of Mint sauce
a small amount of grated strong cheese
some fried leeks
and some stripped salami
and serve on toast

wow that was a good day when i invented that!
michael1384
my sister invented a new sweet.

it's margarine dipped in sugar. it isn't nice but it isnt horrible. all i can say is it just tastes.
Kitty
One of my friends use to go home from school and mix up some butter with shortening and add sugar. Then she'd eat it.

Though honestly, butter with sugar and shortening is how you make frosting, so I s'ppose thats what she was referring to.... Though I think if I made it with less sugar it would taste good on toast. I should try it.
Daria
Is shortening used for pastry type things?

I found an excellent new combination today! Marmite + clementine= yummy yummy goodness that people will frown upon you about.
Kitty
Yuss! We also tend to use it for frying stuff because it has lard-like qualities, but its made with vegetables.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 2 2006, 10:29 PM)

Why not go two steps further, and make espresso out of this?

Oh, that's right, because you'd die.
Kitty
Yup. I officially love Think Geek, for bringing such things to so many people's attention....

Ah, todays sammich. Microwaved bacon, tossed onto a tortilla with some ham, ranch salad dressing,, a bit of leffed over mozerella cheese and some lettuce. Yummm
elphaba2
Sesame oil stir-fry: green peppers, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, coconut (added at the last minute and kept just until slightly browned), pineapples and a healthy handful of sesame seeds and pine nuts. It's fantastic--sweet and slightly tangy. Next time I might swap the cauliflower for brocolli, though.

edit: Oh, and I made samosas last night with cauliflower and peas mixed with a little chopped-up orange. It was surprisingly good, even with burnt fennel and dried out dough.
ezfriday
[quote=Sir_Psycho_Sexy,Oct 18 2005, 03:28 AM][quote=PsychWardMike,Oct 18 2005, 02:25 AM] Anyway, I was enjoying my little snack when it dawned on me that it might just be a good idea to dunk my cookie in my coffee.  I proceeded to do so and found to my amazement, it was really tasty!

uhh....I don't think that's really _your_ idea persay. Loads of people dunk.

[/quote]

Though I realize the whole dunking thing is just a lead to the intent of her thread ... it is something of a common thing.

However ... even though she may have thought the Ramen noodle mix-up without outside influence ... it possibly is not not original either; but it is the first I've heard of it ... and I like the idea ... gotta try that ...

You had me at Peas-n-Carrots ... Lox of peas-n-carrots ... lol ... Yummy!

Nice thread...

ez
ezfriday
Garbage Can Delight...

Last nights chicken bones
Can O' Pillsbury Biscuits … or whatever
Chicken bullion
Preferred spices... Marjoram… Oregano… etc…
Garlic
Can O’ cream of mushroom soup

Boil chicken bones for about half an hour or so… remove “all” bones…leave or remove fat and meat… you choose…add chicken bullion to make a soup base add preferred spices some garlic if you like… mix in a can of Cream O’ Mushroom soup and serve over baked biscuits… I prefer to butter the biscuits first…

If you do this with KFC or some other nitrogen induced cooked chicken don’t forget to remove the crusty deep fried skins first…

You can get “really” crazy with the ingredients of this … so go for it … and remember when your kids say “That’s Sick!” it means they like it … … … I think?

huh.gif ez
PsychWardMike
I've found that taking a Grand's biscuit, cutting it in half, adding two slices ofswiss cheese (one for each half), a layer of mozzerella, a layer of pepperoni, garlic, orgeno, and tomato, and then another layer of mozzerella, topped by the other half and then covered in a little more cheese is phenomenal.

Oh yeah, don't forget to microwave it for melty goodness.
artist.unknown
Just an ingrediant suggestion. Put Silk Very Vanilla soymilk in recipes. I mean, I wouldn't recommend it for cream of mushroom soup, but it's amazing in pudding (Dr Oetker's especially) or bready things like banana bread or muffins. It gives food more body and flavor, and it doesn't burn or curdle like milk will.

Vanilla soy milk + Cream of Wheat farina = disturbingly good.
monkey_called_narth
macaronie suprise (its what we call it mac suprise might actually be somthing diffrent)

2 boxes mac and cheese
1 bag tuna
1 can peas

garlic noodles (not sure if im the first person to do this... but i do it once a week)
3 color rotini (you can use any noodles you have laying around thats just my favorite)
1 half stick butter
a sh*t load of parmision cheese
some garlic powder, onjion poweder, any type of seasoning that you prefer

heh... im a vegitarian that eats only fish... i have to do alot of impro mta mixes with noodles, garlic, cheese, tuna, ect.
Phyllis
QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Feb 13 2006, 10:25 AM)
heh... im a vegitarian that eats only fish... i have to do alot of impro mta mixes with noodles, garlic, cheese, tuna, ect.

Technically then you're a pescatarian. Fish are still animals, not vegetables. wink.gif
monkey_called_narth
but the only fish i eat is tuna and fish sticks.... and only for the needed random protien (i eat either maybe once a week)... i consider it still vegitarian... i might be wrong *shrugs*
Phyllis
You can call yourself whatever you like...but just cause you say you're a duck doesn't make you one. wink.gif

You eat some fish, therefore you're technically a pescatarian. Not that it really matters overmuch though. You can classify yourself however you like. I would choose pescatarian if I were you though...it's more unique and less likely to make some vegetarians annoyed (not me...I don't really care).
artist.unknown
Candice is right, that's not technically veggie, although I occasionally have fish and also call myself a veg so I'm not one to lecture. I also have milk products and eggs as you seem to, which is would further limit you to the catagory "lacto-ovo." Of course as far as I'm conserned it's a dietary choice (ick hormones) not a religion, and if I eat a fishy or too no lightning is going to come down from the sky. I promise not to tell the fishies if you don't, narth.

Narth, if you like chucking stuff together try doing things with coucous rather than noodles. It's yummy and different. Personally I'm a fan of mixing couscous with chopped veggies (pepper, tomato, onion, broccoli, maybe fresh spinach) with some cheese and garlic. You can put them in fresh and let the warm coucous soften them up, or sautee (or whatever that's called) them in a flattish pan with some oil and the garlic. Alternatively, add anything from one of those frozen mixed vegetable bags to couscous if you've got no time to chop and throw some garlic salt, pepper and whatever else on top. I did that a lot over the summer when I cooked for myself.

Cottage cheese+chopped tomato and pepper+ chick peas is also good and full of protein.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 14 2006, 01:54 AM)
Candice is right, that's not technically veggie, although I occasionally have fish and also call myself a veg so I'm not one to lecture. I also have milk products and eggs as you seem to, which is would further limit you to the catagory "lacto-ovo." Of course as far as I'm conserned it's a dietary choice (ick hormones) not a religion, and if I eat a fishy or too no lightning is going to come down from the sky. I promise not to tell the fishies if you don't, narth.

Erm... surely if you didn't eat dairy/eggs then you would be vegan.

I mean if we're going latin then vegans aren't even technically "vegetarian"
Daria
I always feel really guilty for not being vegan- the entire dairy and meat industries fuel one another- therefore being a veggie would mean that you are still supporting the meat trade.

Yummy foods... Hmmm... Well, this morning I had a cold mashed sweet potato, poached egg and jalepeno chilli relish sandwich in a ciabatta roll. It was rather tasty.
artist.unknown
QUOTE (snoo @ Feb 14 2006, 09:16 PM)
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 14 2006, 01:54 AM)

Erm... surely if you didn't eat dairy/eggs then you would be vegan.

I mean if we're going latin then vegans aren't even technically "vegetarian"

There are different levels within "vegetarian," including those who only reject red meat, which I think is silly. I think it's stupid to give vegetarianism a more specific name too for the same reasons, but I suppose all those nutritional scientists need something to do with their time so they make up more names for things. biggrin.gif

I'm not vegan for two reasons: 1) The growing brain vitally needs loads of proteins until age 21, including those derrived from animal products. I've got my morals but I like my brain too. 2) Vegans are a pain in the bum. Nobody wants to invite you over if you don't eat cake. Not that people often invite me over, especially not to eat cake, but just in case. You know. Maybe someday. ph34r.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I'd love to be able to be vegan but there are so many things that I can't live without... chocolate for one.

I don't drink cows milk... much. I'll have it in tea at work or other peoples houses or in things that need milk but when I'm at home I have soya substitute. Partly because milk makes me feel ill, partly because I don't like the way they obtain it.
I rarely have eggs, again except in things where they are required or if I go to a resteraunt or somewhere with no veggie option except an omlette.
I rarely eat fish, I always find myself wondering how long ago it was happily swimming around. Also there is the whole over fishing thing and I'm not a fan of fish farms either because they are cruel and basically rubbish for the environment. I don't believe the "fish don't feel pain" thing for a second.
I eat lots of cheese. I love cheese. I could not live without cheese... it's my main daily source of protein. I eat couscous and pulses a few times a week but generally cheese is the higest protein food I eat.

I seriously need more protein but I just don't know where to find it in foods I'll like and I'm not keen on the suppliment thing.

And.... to keep on topic; Mushroom, cheese and marmite toasties with daddies sauce - yum!!
artist.unknown
Yea...protein is an issue. I don't eat much egg food or fish either, and I also drink soy milk (vanilla hurrah). I do eat a lot of tofu type food, but soy products in excess can screw up your thryroid. The answer is beans. Veggies are actually supposed to depend on beans as the main source of protein. I happen to dislike Mexican food, but there are other things you can do. I am a chick pea maniac. Chick peas can go in soup, in salads, in bean mixes, or just by themselves. Hummus (chick peas mashed into a pulp) can be good too; you can buy it, or make it on your own. It is extremely gratifying to pulverize beans into a paste and it tastes better.

Hummus AU style= one can chick peas (garbanzo beans)+a teaspoon or two of lemon juice ( I prefer less, but some people like it tart)+diced onion+a couple tablespoons of garlic and tahini. You can also put in other veg, cumin, whatever. Spread on pita or wheat bread.
mooooooooooopo
Not quite on topic, but this site is pretty handy and relevant to where the thread seems to be heading:

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com/articles/protein.html
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Yeah, I've been eating sesame seeds just now. I have a packet and I'm not sure what to do with them so I was just eating them... they aren't very nice on their own.
Also I have a can of chick peas, again fine with something but alone very very boring.
I've also been eating houmous. I'm not really keen on garlic but I thought I should at least attempt to have it. It's another of those things I don't know what to do with.

I'm like that, I'll like one thing but I won't be able to eat it because I don't like 99% of the things that it comes in.
Take veggie spag bol for instance, I like pasta and I'll eat soya/quorn mince but because of all the tomato-ness involved I won't go near it with a barge pole.

List of things I don't like:

Cooked, puree or warm tomato.
Herbs - I can eat them in things if they are very well disguised or in small quantities but I can't even have oregano on pizza without wanting to gag.
Spices - The slightest hint and I'm burning up.
Pepper - Of the seasoning variety or the vegetable variety. Pepper is just bleugh!
Garlic or Onion - unless it's really subtle.

Yeah so basically I suck because being veggie and not liking tomato or peppers = doom.

I like bland food... basically.

I'm also rubbish at working out what to have with what. Like what do you have with risotto other than salad? What don't I have room in the fridge for/don't eat enough of to make it worth buying? Salad!

Wow... I'm just moaning now. Sorry.
Wytukaze
QUOTE (moop @ Feb 16 2006, 12:10 AM)
<snip>relevant to where the thread seems to be heading

Yes yes, mooplink etc etc. Er, I mean, </snip>

Screw where this thread is heading, I'm talkin' 'bout my pasties!

Yeah. So. Food Tech never gave me much joy, thanks to the only good food tech teacher at my school being fired for throwing a chair (Shut up! She was cool!) when I was in my second year.

One month, however, we had to create three varieties of the same dish. I chose pasties. I don't eat beef, so Cornish pasties have no allure for me. What follows is an account of true events:

Pasty the First:
This one contained, of all things, Quorn ("almost-like-chicken-flavour") pieces, rice and baked beans. Yes. All of that inside some folded pastry. About 20 of the little blighters. Best thing about them, however, is that they were awesome, y'know, to the max. I keep setting aside days to make them again, but it turns out I'm really lazy. To the max.

Pasty the Second:
I never made this one. I don't even remember what it was going to be. How's that for interesting, kids?!

Pasty the Thiiiiirdmelodramamelodrama:
This one consisted of sweetened pastry (And how do we sweeten pastry? With sugar. Seriously. That one was easy.), melted Galaxy chocolate, chopped-up apple, and cashew nuts, cunningly unsalted. Less awesome than the first, but still very nice.

And that is the story of my pasties. My teacher failed me, because I wouldn't let her try the first lot, on the grounds that "she wasn't worthy", and because I didn't make the second. Personally, I think that's unfair.

I have, of course, made many other amazing dishes, but you can wait for those. When I next post. Until next year, then!

Fun Fact: I previewed this post six, wait, seven times. I am just that pedantic. Edit: Oho, and I still left a mistake in! The only one that I made, in fact.
Kitty
Spaghetti, cheese sauce (I think the cheese was emmantaler and jarlesburg (sp again?) and .... to top it all off.... Ranch Dressing!

I call it sin in a bowl. But only if you put it in a bowl.... so technically its sin in a pot because I was too lazy to grab a bowl....
elphaba2
One of the finest things in the world is rotini with some odd butter substitute (was it Olivo?) and nice smelly Fontinella cheese.

I have spoken.
Kitty
I've never had fontinella cheese.... Or smelt it tongue.gif So I cant gauge that against my Pot of Sin
Daria
My lunch today- almnd stuffed olives, feta stuffed small peppers (a little spicey but I love spiceyness biggrin.gif), sun blushed tomatoes and Somerset Brie.

In a baguette! I love raiding the Deli at work for lunch.
I_am_the_best
Vanilla frappuccino and coke. Surprisingly good.
Kitty
Redbull and espresso,suprisingly disgusting. Maybe not too suprisingly.
The Lorax
Make some frenchfries and then season however you like--put in the microwave covered in cheese and tasty bits and voila:

Home made potato skins.

SO not healthy... dry.gif Dammit.
Icey
Tuna, Mayo & Grated Cheese mixed together with just cooked pasta.... Yum.
Daria
Lunch today was a sandwish made from wholemeal bread my mum made last night, Somerset brie, pesto and watercress. VERY much reccomended biggrin.gif
zivane
What I made for dinner last night...

Baked crab/lobster cakes (sauteed first in soy sauce and this mandarin orange/wasabi/soy salad dressing) with baked goat's cheese on top, on a salad of romaine, napa cabbage, portobello mushrooms, asparagus, and cucumbers.

Chicken salad made with chicken breast, 1 tablespoon vegenaise (or mayo), 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce, raisins, celery, and cucumber with a bit of cumin seed powder and cinnamon. On rice cakes, crackers, or as a wrap with romaine and tomato. Yum.

I think I eat weird... heh.

Also good...
Melt equal parts chocolate and peanut butter (like Reese's), then add in some heavy whipping cream and a bit of butter until it looks shiny. Let sit in the fridge until it's hardened, but still soft. Using cocoa powder, spoon out until little balls. Let sit on parchment or wax paper in the fridge. Voila, peanut butter truffles... I decorate mine with vanilla cake frosting ^.^ Or melt dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) and pour over the balls and let sit in the fridge until coating has hardened, then carefully carve the truffles out. Super yum.
elphaba2
I made sort of a mango salmon last night, with pureed mango, cilantro and cinnamon, but I neglected to take into account the fact that mango gets much more sweet as it's cooked. So it came out more like candied salmon then anything else--still good (but a little toothachey.)
zivane
Something ridiculously sweet... (that I made today). Layer the following:

white cake
strawberry jam (works better than preserves or jam)
whipped cream (or homemade unsweetened whipped cream)
white cake
thick strawberry frosting
white cake

Then cover in fondant.

Then cut into small squares.

Yum. Petit fours.

Also made shrimp with walnut pesto and amaranth (I think) pasta.
elphaba2
Oh god.

Vanilla ice cream + three spoons of cinnamon.

It is ten thousand degrees of tasty.
hjn
CHEESY RICE

always had it when i was a kid my dad used to make it very often and no1 hardly ever siad they didnt like it...

twas like brown rice boiled then

ut in frying pan with some cinomen sticks and friend the put some cheese on the bottom so it gves it a crusty or crispy bottom..

or stir cheesy.

which is when you add in more chesse bt so its really cheesy rice with cinamon.

H
I_am_the_best
It's just regular black coffee but substitue the water for red bull and add a couple of tea spoons of sugar. You WILL not sleep. You WILL not work either. More likely after drinking a mug of this, you'll find yourself shaking and sweating. Not a fun way to spend the night, eh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.