Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The return of the Matazone shop!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
Due to a massive lack of funds caused by international trade issues out of my hands, the economic slowdown in the UK, and goodness knows how many other things, I'm re-opening my on-site shop.

http://www.matazone.co.uk/shop

At the moment we've only got corsets by Snobz in there and some badges left from the last time. Little Goth Girl bags and T-shirts will turn up at some point in the next two weeks, but I'm not sure when.

I'm really pleased with the deal I've got on the corsets. They're really good ones and I've got them for 10% cheaper than you'll find elsewhere, plus there's the chance that you won't even have to pay for it...

I've decided that after every twenty corsets that I sell the next person will get theirs free, so I'll refund the money for the corset and pop it in the post to them. You'll never know if it's going to be you, but you won't find other websites giving away free corsets!

As usual, I'm pretty sure that I've got it all tested, but if you do have any problems with the shop please let me know as soon as possible!
CommieBastard
As I said to some friends on another forum when telling them about this, I'm sure there's a logical train of thought that leads one from making silly animations to selling stylish corsets, but I'm not sure what it is... biggrin.gif
froggle-rock
Go on my son!

*admires the pretty corsets*
Mata
The train of thought runs like this:

Goths like my animations
Silly people like my animations
Goths like corsets
Silly people with a fun sense of style like corsets
I know a group of ladies who've got decades of corset-making experience
I have no money, nada, zilch
ergo I should be selling corsets

It's all quite rational really.
Cath Sparrow
You are a BAD BAD man waveing corsets at me!!! *looks mournfully at the moths and minus signs in her bank account*
Mata
Ah, but you might get a free one biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
I might but I have absolutly no money to risk it. You know how you bank account looks mine probably has a similar look. blink.gif
Jatopian
Weren't corsets the things that Victorian women fainted while wearing on account of their constriction?
Mata
Yes, but those were rather different beasts. Those were tightened to ridiculous extremes. These are made to make pretty much anyone's figure look good by smoothing out the bumps and putting other bumps in the right places!

There is some restriction of breathing if they're tightened to their fullest amount, but that can be quite enjoyable in certain circumstances apparently.
pgrmdave
Is there any link from the shop page to the main page of Matazone? I can't find any and I keep having to use the back button.
Mata
Click 'top' just beneath the logo at the top of the page on the left. That takes you back to the main animations page. Clicking 'catalog' takes you back to the front of the shop.
Chronotub
Any plans to add things other than corsets, Tshirts and stuff?
Mata
Yes, defintely plans. There should be a chunk of Little Goth Girl stuff arriving within the next two weeks (hopefully by the end of this week, but I'm realistic about the organisational abilities of certain parties).

After that I plan to get some new and some old designs printed to tide me over while I look for a new distributor.

EDIT: so mainly 'T-shirts' and less 'stuff', because stuff manufacturers are harder to find and it's generally more expensive to get made in any quantity that I might be able to shift before the end of this millennium.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 23 2005, 10:01 AM)
You are a BAD BAD man waveing  corsets at me!!! *looks mournfully at the moths and minus signs in her bank account*

*concurs* (two "r"'s? one "r"?)
and it's twice as much for me! America sucks.
Mata
The dollar has improved in the last year. It was $1.80 to the pound twelve months ago, currently it's around $1.77 ($1.76699996 as of a few minutes ago, to be precise). That might not sound like much, and it's still a lot worse than it was four years ago when I started paying attention to these things, but it's an improvement. Look on the bright side though, you pay a lot less taxes than us! (Although you probably have to spend the savings of health insurance.)
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 23 2005, 07:18 PM)
Yes, but those were rather different beasts. Those were tightened to ridiculous extremes. These are made to make pretty much anyone's figure look good by smoothing out the bumps and putting other bumps in the right places!

"Rediculous extremes"?! Never!

Well. Maybe. But technically you can get the same figure as the victorian ladies as long as you only lace an inch down at a time. Give your body time to adapt. <.<

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 23 2005, 07:18 PM)
There is some restriction of breathing if they're tightened to their fullest amount, but that can be quite enjoyable in certain circumstances apparently.

tongue.gif Under all circumstances it feels like a really great hug biggrin.gif
Other than that *cough* I couldnt tell ya blink.gif

I'd buy a corset from you mata if I didnt already have a couple and if I had some monies in my pocket! Once you get some shirts and such up I'll definatley buy another one from you.... happy.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
so mainly 'T-shirts' and less 'stuff'

Chances of 'Look Daddy, it's a buzz buzz' in a kids size T - shirt? *looks hopeful*

Okay - what about one JUST for me? biggrin.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Oct 24 2005, 10:45 PM)
so mainly 'T-shirts' and less 'stuff'

Chances of 'Look Daddy, it's a buzz buzz' in a kids size T - shirt? *looks hopeful*

Okay - what about one JUST for me? biggrin.gif

It's possible! I'm going to be using transfer prints for the new T-shirts. The quality of the printing technology has progressed a lot in the last few years. When I started it was very difficult to do a transfer print onto a black T-shirt, now you can do that and the bonding process is a lot stronger too.

Using transfer prints will give me a lot more flexibility in what I choose to make designs of, so I hope to experiment with a range of new images.
pgrmdave
How about this?
Mata
Some form of that is an option, yep smile.gif

I've got other plans first, but I may get to that one.
MistressAlti
I'm so pleased the shirts are coming back. I still love the ones I bought a few years ago, they hold up so well and are ever so sexy & stylish biggrin.gif
Mata
I'm pretty confident that the new transfer printing process is a good replacement for the old screen-prints. I was happier with the work done by my first printer than the people who did the final few batches for me, so even screen-prints vary in quality. I think that the new ones are going to be really good! I hope that they last as long as the old ones.

I had the intention from the very beginning that people should be able to look at a Matazone T-shirt in ten years and still see a print that looks damn-near enough as good as the day that they got it. I think that, certainly with the work from my first printer, this will happen. The transfers are going to be done by that chap too, so I've got high hopes. The technology is quite new so we've not been able to test it in the long term, but they feel very good on the fabric so I'm confident that transfers are finally getting to be as good I they've always had the potential to be.
Smiler
Corsets look preeeety fine although I doubt I'll be grabbing for myself... well, maybe for something for the weekend maybe...

T-shirts'd be a blinder! I joined about 3 weeks before the shutdown of the old one and im wicked envious/jealous of everyone with a shirt at the meets, me want shirt ME WANT SHIRT. I know why you shut down the last time and cant wait if thats all gonna go through.

Are the bags still floating about Blue Banana or something? I've noted a few on the net here and about but buying off the zone'd preferable (although I did scour one off of ebay for FairieRyn's birthday this year, sorry wink.gif )

YAY... bring on teh clo.. T SHIRTS!!!
Mata
The bags in the Blue Banana shops are being sold off, and I'll have the last of the stock on my site... Whenever BB get around to sending them to me. I was supposed to have them by last Friday, but I spoke to them yesterday and nothing had been sent yet. Ho hum.
Astarael
Finally! I found your site a few weeks after the shop closed and ripped some of my hair out when I realized the stuff was gone. I loved Samurai Lapin so much that when a friend was having a party and we were all making iron-on sweatshirts with images stolen from the Internet, I put him on mine. It's gotten a lot of laughs and people who ask about it always get directed to your site (and screamed at if they assumed it was the Playboy bunny. Ugh.) I have no Paypal account, but I'll demand a Samurai Lapin t-shirt from my parents for my birthday/Christmas and pay them to send you some extra money with the order. I've been feeling guilty about not finding a way to pay you for stealing Lapin before, so now I finally get to pay you back.
[/guilty babbling]
Anyway, glad to hear that the store's back. I'm not into corsets, but I'll get a shirt as soon as I can after they're up. smile.gif
Aria
Just wanted to check on the quality of corsets: Are they any good for tightlacing? How much wear will they take?

... since I'm planning on buying one in the near future, it's from you or fairygothmother...
Mata
Well, the ladies that make them have been a collective 35 years+ of experience between them and their designs are far better than Vollers, the main supplier of corsets in the UK (and their old employer). They tell me that they are fine for tight lacing, but being male I've not tested this!

As I say, they are made by professionals with a huge amount of experience in the business, plus they are a small company with a reputation to build so they have more reason to be doing things right than big suppliers. Having seen many of the corsets, the quality of appears excellent. It's true that I don't know how they wear with time, but the materials are all good and the stitching is spot on so I've no doubt that they are as durable as any other corset that you could buy, and I give 10% off and the possibility of getting it free smile.gif
Kitty
Just as a thought, people tend to like to know how many layers of fabric there are, the average amount of boning that goes into each corset, the materials used....

For example, when I bought my corset I knew it has about 22 peices of boning, a front busk and back lacing, suitable for tightlacing. Its made with 4 layers of fabric, two interlining of cotton twill, a lining of cotton twill and an outerlayer with my choice of satin or silk (I.... think....) And it also had twill tape reinforcement on the waist.

Its just comforting to people to know this stuff, even though it may not really benifit them all too much. It makes it sound really good too tongue.gif
Spacehappy
Mata,

A request, if you are going to be doing some of your own stuff, i'd like to make a suggestion.

Black hooded tops, with various logos, i saw one or two of these on the Winchester meet, and can tell you right now, if you do them i'd most proberly buy three on the spot. (Logos like I share this world with noone, a little goth girl head over the left breast and "do you have my size in black").

Anyway it's a request, but i think you could do well in the hooded top range.

Ohh yeh make small and large as the missus will want some too. laugh.gif
Mata
The trouble with hooded tops is that they cost a fortune to buy initially and then the shipping is really high too.

I'm going to try and keep it simple at the moment, partially because I just can't afford to get anything fancy in!
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 28 2005, 06:07 AM)
The trouble with hooded tops is that they cost a fortune to buy initially and then the shipping is really high too.

Could/Would you do it on a custom made basis, with cash up front?. That way you could buy what you need, when people want them. But limit them to set templates for the design?.
Mata
I'll need to see what printing processes are available to me to find out whether that's possible. Currently my printer is investgating things. Apparently the style of print that I thought would be okay are designed for 'promotional use', meaning that they fall off after about 12 washes, which is no good. Apparently there is a way to screen print transfers, but this does mean that I would need to get at the very least 100 tops made at a time. I'm just not sure if it's possible is the simple answer.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Have you considered lunch boxes? I'd love to have a Mittens one for my son - a proper old style one. I was looking at lunch boxes in town today and it's all changed since I was a nipper.

Don't make them like they used to. wink.gif
Mata
I'd probably have to get a couple of thousand made at a time to make them at all affordable. Does he break a lot of lunchboxes? biggrin.gif
pgrmdave
YAY!!! My Mr. Snaffleburger pin just came today! It cost me nearly $5... about $1.50 for the pin and $3 for shipping, but it was worth it smile.gif
Mata
Sorry about the shipping costs, but light-but-potentially-spikey items have to have decent packing, and the bank charges for paying the postage are more than the postage itself costs!

I hate bank charges, but you don't get business accounts without 'em sad.gif
pgrmdave
I don't mind paying the costs, it's worth it to have a pin of Mr. Snaffleburger, and to help support you.
oobunnie
hmm I've always sort of wanted a corset. Are they really some what comfortable? I remember having one shoved on me when I was about 8 at a historical feild trip and the lady knocking the wind out of me.

So I guess this is more of a question for the gals on this site. But just how comfortable/uncomfortable are corsets. And in comparison made to fit versus standard?

And as a Question for mata. Are we able to pay more to get embroidering done?
Mata
If you send over your measurements I can pass them on to the corset ladies and they'll be able to tell you if it's worth going for a made-to-measure one or not. For most people the standard will be fine. It really depends on your figure. Generally people with a small waist have a smaller bust, and vice versa, so the standard sizes adjust to that. It's only when people are in less-common proportions or can afford to get it absolutely perfect that the made-to-measure ones are the best idea.

I've got many friends who can wear their corsets all night, so they can't be too bad as long as you get the right size!

The full range of materials is here

http://snobzcorsets.com/acatalog/infomaterials.html

The non-satin ones do cost more, and the leather is very expensive indeed. I only put a few options on my site because they are the most popular. I can order any corset in any size and material from the Snobz website if you would like one: the ones I list on my site are the most commonly ordered ones in the most common materials. I didn't but the full range on for the sake of simplicity and to make it all less confusing.
oobunnie
Well I have the extra $20 to get it custom fitted so thats not a problem.

But whats i was asking was can you get custom embroidering. For example your name embroidered in the corner or something like that. Not that it determines me not buying one. But I find embroidering looks better when the piece is emroidered at the time of making.
Mata
It's not something I've heard of before, but I can certainly ask for you. I'll let you know tomorrow. Is it a fairly short piece of embroidery that you'd like done? Corsets are made up of segments of material so it would probably be difficult to do much more than a word or two.
oobunnie
Yup which I know, but my name only has 4 letters so I should be okay.
Mata
I've asked and they've said that they don't do that, but they're sure that it would be possible to do once the corset has been made because they've seen ones with tribal designs embroidered into them (which sounds rather cool!).
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 28 2005, 09:12 AM)
I'd probably have to get a couple of thousand made at a time to make them at all affordable. Does he break a lot of lunchboxes? biggrin.gif

I want a lunchbox!!! biggrin.gif I'll break a few!! unsure.gif
Er, well I'd buy a few.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (oobunnie @ Nov 2 2005, 06:39 PM)
So I guess this is more of a question for the gals on this site. But just how comfortable/uncomfortable are corsets. And in comparison made to fit versus standard?

And as a Question for mata. Are we able to pay more to get embroidering done?

Personally I love wearing a corset. It feels like a day-long hug happy.gif I find them very comfy, they help with your posture and support your back. If you're doing tightlacing its not uncomfortable at all unless you lace it too tight at once, so really the only thing that needs getting use to would be breathing differently. Your lungs will tend to expand upward instead of outward with your ribs....

I'm pretty sure as long as theres no boning in the way you could embroider something straight onto the corset after its made. If theres going to be boning in the way then you could risk taking it apart and embroidering it and sewing it back up (which I dont reccommend at all unless you know how their corsets are constructed because you could potentially ruin it....) its all a matter of how they're built
markslut
Do I really want to up my spending on Corsets this month to 300 (ebil man!)

Its tempting
Mata
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 3 2005, 08:26 PM)
I'm pretty sure as long as theres no boning in the way you could embroider something straight onto the corset after its made. If theres going to be boning in the way then you could risk taking it apart and embroidering it and sewing it back up (which I dont reccommend at all unless you know how their corsets are constructed because you could potentially ruin it....) its all a matter of how they're built

All the styles I've seen first-hand have enough space to embroider without too much trouble at all. The boning is this funny steel spring type stuff. It's really fun to play with!

QUOTE (markslut @ Nov 3 2005, 10:22 PM)

Of course you do! Drop me a line with your measurements, they make ones specifically for men too.

And yes, I am ebil. Haven't you seen the rumours thread? It's all true, you know.
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 3 2005, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (markslut @ Nov 3 2005, 10:22 PM)

Of course you do! Drop me a line with your measurements, they make ones specifically for men too.

And yes, I am ebil. Haven't you seen the rumours thread? It's all true, you know.

O.O But you dont REALLY eat Kittens do you?! *teary eyes*

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 3 2005, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 3 2005, 08:26 PM)

All the styles I've seen first-hand have enough space to embroider without too much trouble at all. The boning is this funny steel spring type stuff. It's really fun to play with!

Hehe happy.gif Spiral steel is more fun than spring steel tongue.gif
oobunnie
Now I might start seeming pretty naive, but what would be the difference between a bodice and a corset? I kind of like one of bodice styles best. But when I tried researching the subject a bodice would appear to either be a cover for a corset, some form of outwear corset, or to me the exact same thing as a corset.
Kitty
Technically a bodice is outerwear and a corset is underwear. A bodice's structure wouldnt be as sturdy or suitable for tightlacing and such.

Judging by the pictures, they're just ment to be worn as outerwear (the corsets are shown worn with just underwear where as the bodices are shown with jeans and such). I dont think theres a difference structure-wise.
Mata
In the opinion of Snobz, a bodice is something with lacing up the front and the back; however, I suspect that they're not sure what the difference is supposed to be either! I've seen many many people wearing corsets as the main item of clothing, sometimes literally in respect to a trend at a London goth/industrial club a few years ago, where many women would only wear a corset and underwear.

Kitty's right though, without the front busk of a corset, a bodice give less structural support so it won't hold you so rigidly in shape.

And no, I don't really eat kitten. Puppies perhaps, but even then only evil puppies. And evil dolphins. It's okay to eat evil animals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.