Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 300k posts: who's going to get it?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
Our members have made a total of 294,905 posts

Ooo! The suspense!
Phyllis
Wooow.

I remember when it hit 100,000! Vaguely. Do we know who got that one? I think it might've just been a casual observation in IRC where someone said, "Oooh, there are over 100,000 posts on the forum." I can't remember if there was a thread...and the search dealywhop won't let me search for numbers.

Hmm. Crazy how much it's grown since I first joined! Back when there was still "General Chat" and stuff.
Mata
Ah yes, those were the days! Things change and the site has grown.

The animations are viewd by around seven thousand peole a day at the moment and up to six thousands forums threads are read daily too! I know ti seems like there's only a few of us here, but there are now well over 300,000 page views each month and they can't all be from regulars!
Kitty
=( I havent even been here that long (and acctually posting....) and things change so rapidly. Its slightly scary. Where's time going?!

You'd think with all these people using your forums and watchingyou animations you'd be selling more product tongue.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Seeing as you've mentioned it, Mata, tempted to award the lucky Matazonian? wink.gif
Mata
Heh, I'd need something to reward them with, and supplies of everything are very limited at the moment.

I think that last post of mine in this thread is a good demonstration about why I should stick to animating, and not typing, after a bottle of wine and a can of beer. 'Still, at least I got the apostrophe in the right place.

The last 24 hours, with the launch of the new Halloween animation, has given my site one of its busiest days ever, clocking in at over 15k registered page views. There are probably a fairly hefty amount of people who slip by through blocking the banners (I'm using banner views to count visits, because my statistics software is difficult to interpret) so altogether this site has probably had at least 20k visits in the last day, around 14k or which are probably watching the animations. Blimey!

295,127 posts and counting...
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 28 2005, 06:21 PM)
I think that last post of mine in this thread is a good demonstration about why I should stick to animating, and not typing, after a bottle of wine and a can of beer. 'Still, at least I got the apostrophe in the right place.

And I think it goes to show that I was INCREDIBLY sleepy when I read that post, because I honestly didn't notice the errors at the time. blink.gif

I wonder who will get it. Come to think of it, I think the thread I might be thinking of for the 100,000th post might have been for the 1,000th member....hmm.
Astarael
I know that we have a member #2000 now, but I can't remember who it was.
As to a reward, maybe a little star or something to decorate their profile? When right-clicked, it could say "I made the 300,000th post. Yay!" or something to that effect.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 28 2005, 12:15 AM)
Ah yes, those were the days! Things change and the site has grown.

The animations are viewd by around seven thousand peole a day at the moment and up to six thousands forums threads are read daily too! I know ti seems like there's only a few of us here, but there are now well over 300,000 page views each month and they can't all be from regulars!

We're being watched... ph34r.gif
pgrmdave
Wow, I wonder how many people lurk these forums, just watching us, getting to know us without us ever knowing them....

they're watching us right now, reading this very post!!!
Hobbes
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Oct 29 2005, 09:21 PM)
Wow, I wonder how many people lurk these forums, just watching us, getting to know us without us ever knowing them....

Pfft... yeah.... right...

*hides behind sofa*
Kitty
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Oct 29 2005, 04:21 PM)

Sounds like something I'd do in my free time.... ph34r.gif
oscarhilton
I wonder who will get the 200,000 post... Is there some sort of prize or something?

hee hee...
pgrmdave
How close are we now?
Moosh

It's at the bottom of the main forum page.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Oct 29 2005, 08:21 PM)

Hey, don't even kid about that.

I made a post from school the other day, and one of the... less desirable denizens of the VI form computer room was reading over my shoulder. One of my friends told him to stop doing that, it was rude, and he said "fine, I'll just log onto the forum and read all of it later." At which point, I decided to be very, very careful what I posted from now on tongue.gif
WeeJ
Back in my day, people got excited over their 100th post, which from what I can gather is nothing now. 2000 members? I can remember when it was around 300! blink.gif
pgrmdave
Back in your day...it makes you sound so old tongue.gif
Astarael
Eh, people usually forget webistes, topics, and usernames unless they write them down. Don't fuss about it. If by some mad chance he does remember and try to bother you, report him to Mata (if the bothering is here) or to some reliable teacher (if it's in your school.) Anyway, how are we going to know who makes the 30000th? Is it in the forum records for mods or something?
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Nov 1 2005, 08:56 PM)
I can remember when it was around 300!  blink.gif

...but you're member 338, I remember young whipper-snappers like you tongue.gif
Kitty
I was _around_ when these forums were made.... Just not _here_ <.<

Its true! Honestly! I really should have joined.... I would have been so much younger than everyone else at the time, it wouldnt even be funny tongue.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Astarael @ Oct 29 2005, 04:06 PM)
I know that we have a member #2000 now, but I can't remember who it was.
As to a reward, maybe a little star or something to decorate their profile? When right-clicked, it could say "I made the 300,000th post. Yay!" or something to that effect.

Ah yes, that would require proper programming skills... So you can consider that a 'no'.

QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Nov 1 2005, 09:54 PM)
Back in your day...it makes you sound so old  tongue.gif

WeeJ is old school, SPS is slightly older-school...

QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 2 2005, 01:02 AM)
I was _around_ when these forums were made.... Just not _here_ <.<

Its true! Honestly! I really should have joined.... I would have been so much younger than everyone else at the time, it wouldnt even be funny tongue.gif

And Kat is a friend from way before this place was a twinkle in my eye. How old were you? 12? I was a little worried that this stuff might corrupt you... Which I might've been right about ph34r.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Astarael @ Nov 1 2005, 10:02 PM)
Eh, people usually forget webistes, topics, and usernames unless they write them down. Don't fuss about it. If by some mad chance he does remember and try to bother you, report him to Mata (if the bothering is here) or to some reliable teacher (if it's in your school.)

Dude, joke tongue.gif I know the guy. He won't try and bother me. I see him every day, he and I tend to hang around the same people.

Not everything has to be serious, y'know smile.gif

And yeah, WeeJ, I remember my 100th post being a big triumph tongue.gif Though I think I reached it in my first week.

Ahh, those long-forgotten noob times, when one had a few glourious days to spam freely and without fear of responsibility... laugh.gif
Astarael
Ah, I missed the tongue.gif face in your last post. And you did say "Don't even kid about that," so I was a bit too serious. I actually know someone whose ex-boyfriend collected this massive pile of incriminating stuff: every time she swore or made fun of a friend or her parents, things like that. Then he blackmailed her. He only got about twenty dollars before she reported him to someone and destroyed the stuff, but it would have been pretty sucky for her if the stuff had gotten out. It's not exactly common, but it does occasionally happen if someone gets obsessed. ph34r.gif
WeeJ
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Nov 1 2005, 09:54 PM)
Back in your day...it makes you sound so old  tongue.gif

WeeJ is old school, SPS is slightly older-school...

Lol, you make me sound so retro Mata tongue.gif
Astarael
I'd have been a young fourteen when this forum was devised, so I would have been a freshman. Yes. And if I'd joined before the summer where I switched from middle school to high school, I probably would have been smacked down for whining about having no friends. Middle school has pretty much been the icky toilet of my existence thus far. It's almost scary to think of how different I am after the drastic change between the schools, but I'm happy and now I actually think a bit more before shooting off at the mouth. tongue.gif
Ooh, serious in a Daft thread. Shame on me.
Anyway, out of curiosity, how many of the first 100 members does anyone guess are still posting even semi-regularly? I see very few of the low numbers when I browse the recent threads.
Moosh
Well, of the 100 first members, I have only seen 17 of them (I think) post while I have been here (nearly a year).
Astarael
I only remember offhand that the only person in the first ten I've ever seen post is Mata. I had a quick look at the join dates for the first ten and only Mata even got over twenty. It's interesting wondering where they all went.
Cath Sparrow
Just went for a mooch because you got me curious and I remember a few from the first 51 (51 because Lolo was the 51st person to join tongue.gif )
out of the first 10 there's only Mata but in the next 10 there's a few more that I remember. Some of us actually met Gerbil from Hell in R/L this summer and he's one of the first 20.
Mata
Gerb was a really nice guy. It was great to finally meet him.

QUOTE (Astarael @ Nov 3 2005, 09:58 PM)
I only remember offhand that the only person in the first ten I've ever seen post is Mata. I had a quick look at the join dates for the first ten and only Mata even got over twenty. It's interesting wondering where they all went.

They mostly went back to the forum that I stole them all from! I've got a load of friends from another forum and I posted about this one on there. They came, they saw, they maybe posted a few time, then they went back again. It's a very UK based forum and everyone on there usually knows the others in real life so this place wasn't really what they were looking for.
pgrmdave
Only a little over a thousand posts to go!
Astarael
*claps hands* So it'll be soon. Probably within the next week if I'm estimating the posting rates correctly. How do we find out who makes the crucial post? I'd like to know, and I'm assuming there's some sort of secret site-leader function for Mata to poke and find out. laugh.gif Anyone going to make bets on who makes it or try to guess how new a member would get it? It's all down to luck and timing, I suppose, so I've no idea who it'll be.
oscarhilton
can that sort of thing be recoreded?
Greeneyes
Just out of curiosity, why is it that the forum home says that less than 300,000 posts have been made when the post number of this post (according to the URL that links to it) is 324,300?
Phyllis
I'd bet it's because of things like the Official Spam Thread, Bo Selecta, and the original Word Association (I think? unsure about that one) being deleted.
Mata
Oo yes, I just noticed that too. Yep, that would be some old spam threads being deleted. It just goes to show how large a percentage of the posts on the forums they were taking up!

Okay, so this will be more like the 300,000th proper post on the forums... Perhaps not quite as exciting, but a milestone nonetheless.
Astarael
Any milestone, no matter how small, is worth a good party and some nice chocolate cookies. laugh.gif Maybe we can all dance and shower confetti on whoever gets that special post.
Tarantio
I always kinda wondered what happened to the first few posters on here... still, its not as if we haven't had people joining, posting once and never coming back before.

As for real programming skills, I'm sure you could manage something as small as a button, Mata wink.gif You can just add it to the person's profile, or give them the code to add to their sig. I don't really know how the whole forum code thing goes, I'm more of a C junkie these days, but surely you could just stick it up as a smilie and then only tell that person the shortcut for it?

...or you could avoid the whole thing entirely by just typing it into their sig for them to discover at a later date?
JimiJimi
Hmm, I'm CERTAIN that I just saw '299,999 posts' on the main page, then in a flurry of excitement I refreshed to see if it was possible for me to steal the acclaimed title. After refreshing it came up as '299,300 posts'. Am I seeing things or has someone just deleted a thread?
Astarael
We are getting very close indeed. *hops* Mata, will you please post the name of the lucky poster in this thread when we hit the magic number? My insatiable curiosity button got poked again. smile.gif
The Travis
I think whoever gets it should donate it to charity. It's just the right thing to do.
voices_in_my_head
299,839 post!

we're getting close!
Mata
"Our members have made a total of 299,632 posts" according to the front page.

If I spot who did it then I'll say in here. It's probably going to take a bit of maths. I'll take the postcount when I look and make a new post, find the number of my post and subtract the value over 300k that is on the front page. That way I'll find the right one. Probably.
The Travis
In order to help you out, I've found this little formula. Hope it helps.

Novander
There's only 45 posts to go... hmm... I'm the only person on the board at the moment and its not like I'm planning on going to sleep any time soon...

No. That would be cheating, and that aint how I roll.
froggle-rock
*bumshuffles Novy out of the way*

Mwah ha ha.

299,964. Soon my children, soon.
Moosh
The suspense is getting to me

Kitty
299 989

Agh!! Must post.... somewhere.... ! tongue.gif
Moosh
There are 5 members on, 10 posts left. It's gonna happen within the next hour or so.

This is post 299,991
Kitty
Ooorrr alot sooner! Eep!

But now its up to 299,994
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.