Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Myspace
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Kitty
Yeah so it seems to me that either myspace is held very highly in someones life, or very very lowly. Personally, everyone I know has a myspace and loves it, except for a select few who absolutley loathe it.

I'm one of the ones that refuses to have a myspace on principle alone. But my brother gives his reasons, which I find fairly funny:

Yeah F****** Right.

Do people actually write, read or comment on blogs? Even the most popular goddamn profiles in this hell hole have like 20 comments tops on their blogs. Just proves to me how this place is some sort of cheap ego booster for "depressed" middle class teenager, mad over the fact that they got an RSX instead of an RL. Boohoo.

This place is so full of f****** vain emo/hardcore kids it's insane! I imagine some dirty hipster sitting at his computer getting on this s*** nightly playing "hot or not" but instead of "hot" he hits "add as friends"

"Like, OMG, your bands suck but I like your sweater and nice haircut ADD!"

Myspace is one big NonUglyEmos LJ community, thirteen million strong and counting.

I dont think its to be hated to his extreme, but what do you think?
markslut
I have one and tend to read the bullitins - it would be nice to have a friends page like Livejournal as opposed to having to log in, then click blog home and then read each one individually - yes it is like hot or not and like any such profile site there are more men (often with minimal profiles to get in to view girls pictures) then there are women - (on one the ratio was about 10 to 1)

oh and I have no comments on my blog (and very little angst too)
Calantyr
Yeah it's a bit weird. I'm on it and I get random add requests from people who are completely... well... all the personality of a goal post. 5 pages of friends requests a day and almost none of them could spell.

Saying that I have met some cool people through it. Got to take the good with the bad I guess. But if I get one more message from some cheap 16 year old crack whore wannabe that goes "U r so hot!1 aDD m3!!!!11" I think I'm gonna cut someone.
I_am_the_best
I got a myspace account last year just for the hell of having one, everyone seemed to so I thought there must be some appeal. Never went on it again. Not that there was anything wrong with it, there was just nothing to do and I though 'bah, why waste my time on pointless things like that when I could be doing more pointless stuff but getting fun from it too.'
voices_in_my_head
My sister has tried over and over agian to explain to me why she likes it, but I don't seem to be able to understand. It just seems like another site dedicated to people posting their pictures so that they can be told over and over agian how beatiful they are.

I'm not saying that anyone who has an account there is horrible or anything, I'm just saying that it seems like a big game of Hot or Not to me.
Astarael
It seems like a mass ego-stroking for people who like feeling tragic and unloved until some other online friend tells them what a special person they are. It looks very pointless and time-wasting to me.

Kitty: In the poll, did you mean rabid wolves? If it's truly rabbit wolves, I want to talk to the person who did the genetic modification. laugh.gif
vicrawr
I do it to keep in touch with friends from highschool.
Kitty
QUOTE (Astarael @ Nov 12 2005, 06:49 PM)
Kitty: In the poll, did you mean rabid wolves? If it's truly rabbit wolves, I want to talk to the person who did the genetic modification.  laugh.gif

tongue.gif Its been bugging me, I saw that after I made the poll.

WHERE ARE THE MODS?!?!
Phyllis
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 12 2005, 04:29 PM)
I do it to keep in touch with friends from highschool.

Ditto. I found a few people I hadn't seen since 8th grade on there (which was 10 years ago now...). I made an account because it wouldn't let me message them otherwise.

I really don't like the format of it. I only use it to message those people...that's it. For actual blogging purposes I use LJ.
craziness
im guilty. probably every kid in my entire school has one. i dont blog in it at all though. i also use LJ if i blog. i think its kind of a cool way to keep in touch with people and stuff. but my page is awesome. i hate people who put pictures of their naked ass up in my face or sketchy people who request you and you dont know them. i know a lot of people though.... i have like 200 people on mine and i know all of them.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I hate it but I have one anyway tongue.gif I have a habit of wasting lots of time writing silly profile things. I drew my picuture in mspaint so I dont get many people trying to add me.. I dont use the blog thing either.
Kitty
The only reasonable reason for joining Myspace I can see would be for finding old/lost friends. But I'm gussing most of you agree that alot of people on there are "some dirty hipster sitting at his computer getting on this s*** nightly playing "hot or not" but instead of "hot" he hits "add as friends"" ?
PsychWardMike
I've got one... I check on it occasionally, but it's mostly there so that more people can discover the awesome-osity that is Mike.
arachnidoc17
I'd rather be hit by the wolverines AND the Badgers with Hammers.
LoLo
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 12 2005, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Astarael @ Nov 12 2005, 06:49 PM)
Kitty: In the poll, did you mean rabid wolves? If it's truly rabbit wolves, I want to talk to the person who did the genetic modification.  laugh.gif

tongue.gif Its been bugging me, I saw that after I made the poll.

WHERE ARE THE MODS?!?!

I kind of like it as rabbit wolves. I'll change it though tongue.gif

I think we already had a myspace thread. I have one and you can find me if you can find the matazone group that I started on there. We don't really use the forums anymore, but it's kind of fun to have the little tag on my profile, and it pimps out mata's site while I'm at it.
Kitty
Do you think if there was a rabbit-wolf hybrid, that instead of taking huge chunks out of you when it attempts to eat you, it would take nibbles? huh.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (Kitty @ Nov 16 2005, 11:59 AM)
Do you think if there was a rabbit-wolf hybrid, that instead of taking huge chunks out of you when it attempts to eat you, it would take nibbles? huh.gif

That or hump your leg a whole hell of a lot.
Astarael
QUOTE (LoLo @ Nov 16 2005, 04:11 PM)
That or hump your leg a whole hell of a lot.

Nah, that's what annoying small dogs do. Rabbits just panic and pee on you if they're scared. tongue.gif If there was a rabbit-wolf hybrid, it would probably roam in packs, bring down deadly carrots in packs, and sniff wistfully in the direction of the moon.
Kitty
Hmm ^^ I think I'd like a rabbit wolf tongue.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Apparently, I do indeed Myspace. blink.gif

I opened an account a little while back when a mate had a band space he wanted me to look at. I didn't do anything with it, it just kinda sat there. So today I thought I'd set it up properly just for the hell of it - hands up those who think I'm likely to regret this shortly? wink.gif

Actually, I regret it already if only because if I want to personalise it (which I'm such a sucker for) I need to use HTML, which I know is childs play, but I'm still backward enough with the PC that I'm not sure I can be bothered.

I'm sure it'll be like several other of my random accounts where I check it daily out of habit, meet a cool person who will always be a one off and then delete whatever else falls into my inbox. Ahhh, apathy, my old friend.

Anyone want to join my friends group to make me feel a little less pathetic? biggrin.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Nov 23 2005, 01:35 PM)
Anyone want to join my friends group to make me feel a little less pathetic?  biggrin.gif

Sure I'm whatever the begining part of a member url on myspace is .lololio

You add me and I'll add you back.
Paulie
I got an account a while back because an ex had one, and...well...you know...it seemed like a good idea. Gradually gained friends since then so I've kept it. Got more friends on there than in real life. sad.gif
Astarael
Even my slightly crazy LJ-addicted friends refuse to use MySpace for pretty much all of the reasons listed. They scream at anyone they find using what they refer to as "that filthy emo mess." It's funny watching the rivalries of online journals and forums as people are attracted to new trends. laugh.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I have a My Space, I use it mainly to listen to music of bands I'd otherwise know nothing about. Also it's good for keeping up with friends who you don't see any more.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I have a My Space, I use it mainly to listen to music of bands I'd otherwise know nothing about.

I found yours on my travels and was really chuffed to find you like i-def-i. I discovered them from a mate who plays in Profane. Still trying to convince those guys into to playing somewhere south of Birmingham. biggrin.gif

I feel that how you use Myspace really does change the response you get from it. If you're blatently going to use it to get laid (pictures of you in your underwear or using a particularly offensive word in your title will do this) then you really shouldn't be surprised that you get twats contacting you.

I've made it reasonably clear on there that I'm looking for people to chat to and NOT some sordid net crap and I'm picky about who I allow to contact me.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
yes i have one...

.SPEAKERFORTHELOST

more devling i must do...
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Nov 26 2005, 06:01 PM)
I have a My Space, I use it mainly to listen to music of bands I'd otherwise know nothing about.

I found yours on my travels and was really chuffed to find you like i-def-i. I discovered them from a mate who plays in Profane. Still trying to convince those guys into to playing somewhere south of Birmingham. biggrin.gif

I addered joo! smile.gif
vicrawr
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Nov 26 2005, 01:01 PM)

I feel that how you use Myspace really does change the response you get from it. If you're blatently going to use it to get laid (pictures of you in your underwear or using a particularly offensive word in your title will do this) then you really shouldn't be surprised that you get twats contacting you.

I've made it reasonably clear on there that I'm looking for people to chat to and NOT some sordid net crap and I'm picky about who I allow to contact me.

And you have me for a friend. Mwahaha.
Kitty
*hides from the myspacey people*
vicrawr
Soooo! I thought I'd bump this thread because it's somewhat appropriate for a problem I have.

I introduced my cousin to the wonders of MySpace over the summer. It was only a matter of time, in my opinion, because she's 13 now and heading into highschool. I think. Anywho, she got an account, added some pictures, inserted many, many quizzes, and now she's one of the millions of kiddiekins with a MySpace. I friended her, of course, because I have to keep those creepy internet perverts from hitting on her. (I also taunt her friends about their bad grammar and spelling. If you think it's bad here...)

On to the problem. Recently, since she's been out on Christmas break, she's been spamming the hell out of my bulletin list. I'm not active on MySpace, that is to say I don't visit more than twice a day to check on mail and such. But when I log on, I don't want to see her name over and over and over and over again on my list with the same cookie-cutter lame if-you-don't-do-this-you'll-die-and-
that-cute-guy-you-like-won't-talk-to-you-and-your-cat-will-die-too bulletins from her friends. There's my dilemma. I've already e-mailed her about it and gotten a pretty weird message back.

Do I let my annoyance aggravate me to the point of (*gasp*) de-friending family? Do I ignore it and silently grind my teeth in unbridled rage?

Please help. I have too much time to think about these things.
froggle-rock
I've no qualms about blocking family. Though this be on MSN Messenger, not MySpace. My 13 year old sister has ben blocked since before summer because of the spamming text conversations she has with me, then insists on adding her ickle kidlets.

If you've told her it bugs you and she hasn't really addressed it, block her. It's not like you can't unblock her at some point in the future.
Kitty
I tend to keep blocking people and then unblocking people every once in a while to say "hi!" And then block them again, while using the excuse "Yeah I'm so busy lately, no time to be online"

On another myspace-y note. I was at a newyears party and the people I'm hanging with discovered that I dont have a myspace. One of the girls knew my email address so she procured a computer and made me one. Luckilly I have no idea what the password is and I sent an email in requesting it be deleted
LoLo
You probably should delete her. If she's really into myspace that much she probably has a bajillion friends on her friends list anyway so she might not even notice that your picture has left it. You probably should be direct and tell her too, but if you don't really want to be it's ok too.
Kitty
Aw, she's a nice girl and all, though she's probably on there a bit too much to be considered 'sane' (in my book). I told her that I'd delete it when I got home so she's expecting it anyway. The guy that was hanging with us most the night was egging her on to make it because I think he had a crush on me and wanted to be able to talk to me later -.-;
tptcow
I used to have a myspace account, but I decided to delete it because it just sat there. Plus, it was getting annoying. Besides, I have facebook and its much better than myspace. smile.gif
vicrawr
QUOTE (tptcow @ Jan 3 2006, 01:23 PM)
I used to have a myspace account, but I decided to delete it because it just sat there. Plus, it was getting annoying. Besides, I have facebook and its much better than myspace. smile.gif

"Better" as it may be, not everyone can see facebook.

About my problem, I think it's because she was on vacation. She's gone back to school now and it's all stopped. Now if only she could keep a "boyfriend" for more than three days.
Kitty
=( I never understood how people can do that. "OH! I like you, go out with meee??!" Two days later "Okay I'm done, bye." Good luck with her, IrishGuy
Kitty
My myspace is now non existant happy.gif Yay
LoLo
QUOTE (Kitty @ Jan 2 2006, 08:07 AM)
Aw, she's a nice girl and all, though she's probably on there a bit too much to be considered 'sane' (in my book). I told her that I'd delete it when I got home so she's expecting it anyway. The guy that was hanging with us most the night was egging her on to make it because I think he had a crush on me and wanted to be able to talk to me later -.-;

Actually the advice was meant for Irishguy, but I should have quoted him to stop that confusion. I didn't realize that your above post was asking something similar.
Kitty
Heh tongue.gif I'm suprised I didnt catch that....
Sir Psycho Sexy
eheheheh, funneh tongue.gif

(link contains naughtiness and as such is not considered kiddy or office friendly, you have been warned)
Star_of_Lei
I have one, but I've stopped using it recently after the second lot of hate mail. Nih.
Daria
I have one, and mostly use my account to find new, unsigned and local bands.

I sound a little scary...

But it is only through myspace that I have found some very good bands.

And some utter tripe too rolleyes.gif

In the former catagory though, www.myspace.com/tigermcs and /chihiro are both lovely local bands biggrin.gif Sorry about the plug...
Astarael
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 8 2006, 09:58 AM)
eheheheh, funneh tongue.gif

(link contains naughtiness and as such is not considered kiddy or office friendly, you have been warned)

That's hilarious. I'm giving to address to some MySpace-addicted friends. Then I'll wait to hear the screaming. evil.gif
Star_of_Lei
I love that. I can't wait to send it to all the annoying people who have the need to keep up dating their space and feeling the need to tell me about it
elphaba2
*bump*

I found it! The reason why I hate Myspace!
Here's a brief excerpt from a conversation between a myspacing friend and I. I had been trying to find out a girl's interests because I am borrowing her identity for a health project (long story) but she set her space to private. So the friend was copying and pasting information that she, being friends with the girl, could read to me.

Me: as it's already been asserted that you are the best, could you kindly repaste *******'s "books" and "music" to me?
Me: *sends undying love as incentive*
Her: yeah ok..
Her: "Music: GREEN DAY! THE BEATLES! POLLY PAULUSMA! COLDPLAY! the killers, keane, rooney, spice girls, tenacious d, modest mouse, and maroon 5 plus many, many more... "
Her: "Movies: lord of the rings (all 3), pirates of the caribbean: curse of the black pearl, there's something about mary, secret window, napolean dynamite, hotel rwanda, finding nemo, chicago, finding neverland, zoolander, kill bill vol 1 &; 2, king arthur, sixteen candles, charlie and the chocolate factory... "
Me: no books?
Her: I'll check. H/o
Her: no that's where she put quiz results for "which celebrity butt are you?"
Me: tell me you are joking
Her: shes j-lo btw
Kitty
=( ....
deadinaditch
i have a myspace and am addicted to it.

i disagree with it's morals, though.

it's actually affected mine and my friends' lives in a really negative way.
it's strange that it's that big a deal but it is.
they consider it a stuggle at who can be the most "scene" out of all of them.
basically...who can wear the tightest pants and the most obnoxious fake-highlighted hairdo possible. lots of turqoise and fur involved.

it's disgusting.
LoLo
QUOTE (deadinaditch @ Feb 12 2006, 11:38 PM)

i disagree with it's morals, though.

I've always been curious how something that is just a bunch of code and not a living thing could have morals. Perhaps that's just me.
deadinaditch
QUOTE (LoLo @ Feb 15 2006, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (deadinaditch @ Feb 12 2006, 11:38 PM)

i disagree with its morals, though.

I've always been curious how something that is just a bunch of code and not a living thing could have morals. Perhaps that's just me.

"morals" was the wrong word.
it's like myspace has rules that if you don't follow, you're hated.
at least where i am.
ever noticed the people with matching names and the same poses in their pictures, the same banners of some band or homemade thing, making them a clique? it's the same problems most people encounter in real life only more easily and anonymously executed.

just look at Jeffree Star. or Glam Trash Face. They're only famous, only cool because of MySpace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.