Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When I was a noob...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
LoLo
I just thought perhaps it would be fun to look back at our own trials and tribulations when we were noobs, or just our fun from when we were noobs.

So I'll start.

When I was a noob it was the beginning of the boards. Most of the people who were members already knew Mata in some way and so I felt a little alienated because I was just a fan of the animations. It took what seemed like forever to get people to respond to me, but in reality it was probably a day or two. At that time though, a day or two was a long time for responses. In fact I don't think anyone even responded to my introductions thread until months later when people were bumping old intro threads.

I remember we spammed a lot and only had one forum area. Since there were so few members spam didn't seem to be something to complain about just fun conversations. I'm not saying it needs to go back to this way either because it is nice to have a low spam forum like we do today.

I remember no one took me seriously on the forums until I did the marshmallow dare, which was sticking two marshmallows up my nose, eating them, and documenting my actions.

Oh and of course we had to walk 2 miles uphill in the snow naked to get here to post. lol
oscarhilton
My main idea of joining these wonderful forums was to share my creations - mainly why I did not do an 'introduction to the forums' thread. I then, after getting so many kind comments and suggestions, joined the forums for real.
I remember me and I_am_the_best, a real-life-every-day-friend, who actually introduced me to the forums, make the official W6 thread... which we found to be not so successful... lol

My first topic (apart from my creations) was a game, 'finish my sentence' which is still going now.

Here I am 2k posts (+) on.
Phyllis
I joined the forums 2 and a half years ago because oxym0ronical got me back in touch with Lo after a year of not seeing each other online (I've known oxy online since I was about 16 and Lo since I was 19 I think). Lo brought me into a Yahoo chat full of forumites, and told me to join the forums.

I joined because I wanted to keep in contact with Lo, and we're both total crap at writing e-mails. I had never even watched a single animation. I seriously thought they were just animations on some channel that I didn't get in my area. laugh.gif It was two weeks before I actually viewed any of them.

Anyway, when I joined the forums I hadn't broken a habit I learned on Excite's VP chat as a teenager: talking like this with no capitalization...lots of ellipses...and lots of lol's. pretty much everyone talked like this on that chat, so i guess it was just contagious.

Blegh. I still use lots of ellipses though...just not to the extent I once did.

So, I posted a lot of crap responses. There were two sections to the forum, I think. General Chat and About the Animations. Might have also been a Help forum for technical problems with the boards...I can't remember.

I was never adopted or anything like that, but it took several months for me to really find my niche here, I think. I sometimes wonder if it would have taken longer if I didn't know Lo beforehand, to be honest. That sort of helped to introduce me to everyone, at least in the chat. I only really started to post in the way I do today when the different sections of the forum were made due to quarrels over excessive spamming in the General Chat area.
I_am_the_best
A friend of mine from my math group joined the forums with me in October during a particularly boring math/IT lesson. I'd shown her the animations which I'd been a fan of for quite a while and she pointed out there was a forum. Being young and immature (still are, but that's beside the point) we thought it would be fun just to wreak havoc because we assumed it would be yet another overpopulated forum full of uninteresting people. I'm so sorry, I didn't realise what a wonderful. fun place this was. So in short, when I was a noob I was an idiot.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Hmm...when I was a noob I was in my very first year of university (now in my 4th). I joined the forums under the screen name of Buggey. I didn't have my own internet connection then because I was in halls and so I sorta disappeared. It wasn't until I got home for easter or summer where I plugged myself into a phone line and started making more regular posts under new name of Sir_Psycho_Sexy. I was then a regular visiter to the irc channel and have memories of sitting on the end of my bed still wrapped in my duvet chatting away to peoples. My favourite channel will always be #elitistf*cks, but that didn't come 'til later. I remember InKy and Leo calling each other ladyparts and generally acting like a married couple. Oh, I remember being gerbilfromhell's noob for a day or two, but didn't like how he had it written in HYOOGE green letters, so I asked *cough* him to unadopt me. Umm....that's it really...
Kitty
Hehe happy.gif I still feel like a noob sometimes. Erm, when did I join? I dont remember biggrin.gif I remember I joined to post in some topic that I was really really intrested in and once I posted I left for a loonng long time. Then for some reason I made the shavingcream thread, asking if anyone has ever eaten shaving cream, which got more replies than I really thought it would.... I suppose I started posting alot around here and eventually about a year later I created my noob thread which I kind of abandoned after a few posts tongue.gif

Shavingcream really doesnt taste bad though
/spam
PsychWardMike
When I was a n00b, no one liked me because I was a jerk, assuming that this was a standard overpopulated forum where my actions would go unnoticed. I was wrong.

My account stayed in what I am led to believe was a constant state of mods debating over whether or not to ban me and I got warned a good few times.

I made friends and stayed and even brought more. I'm pretty much responsible for trunksgirl, pgrmdave, beccareb, and trace. Artist.Unknown made me join because she had an AIM away message requesting criticism on a piece which she posted here. I had to make an account to comment and the rest is history.

Um... apart from that I remember the days of no Personal Concern board and no Tips and Tricks board. That meant daily life was the angst board. I also remember mutilation. Isn't his one year almost up?
Righteous
I had put off joining for a long time and finally did in the summer of 2k3, at the hight of my obsession with the word "Righteous." I recall when I joined there was only one forum and we had the Official Spam Thread. I also recall no one being able to spell my name, which is why I asked that people call me Ri. Those were some goofy days.

EDIT: Yeah, I've had my share of warnings and mod-slaps. I chalk that up to my ever-bettering "mo-fackey" temperment. I, too, remember Mutilation as well as other billigerant members like PsychWardMike. I think I've been here for most if not all the bannings that have gone down. Jeez. It's been forever.

Looking back, I was a little bitch when I joined, wasn't I?
Sir Psycho Sexy
Oh yeah, forgot about mutilation...what about logicman and nummynums though? ph34r.gif
Calantyr
I still think I'm a noob. I somehow managed to avoid the duct-tape hazing and I still possess my eyebrows.

I remember being a bit intimidated at first because EVERYONE seemed like friends. This is the first forum I have been on where there is a tangiable sense of family. I may not be part of it but it's still a classy feeling.
gothictheysay
I joined... well look at my join date. tongue.gif When I was a noob, I posted waaaay too much. I'm sure a good amount of it was spam. If it wasn't, it was stupid threads about things like my hairdryer dying. I know for a fact I was pretty annoying at times. I got closer to a lot of people by joining the IRC channel, and after I really knew some people here, I felt like I belonged... now I was one of the older people who could sit back and discuss all the noobs. tongue.gif

Oh, I remember trying to adopt as many noobs as possible... haha. And I have old PMs of me randomly PMing people that make me cringe when I reread them. >_<
arachnidoc17
When I was a noob, I had a lot of time on my hands. I was nosy, opinionated, and a terrible writer. Yeah, I know, not much changed. tongue.gif It was around 2003 (2004?), and I had just really started using the internet for purposes beyond games. But, of course, games were the reason that got me to this website, because the "nine-mouthed baby" led me to visiting this website, and eventually the forums. (See what I mean by terrible writer? blink.gif ) Anyways, I was here for a while.

Toodles.
Moosh
I actually still think of myself as a noob, because there are loads of people who have been here way longer than me.

But yeah, when I first joined, it was the first time I'd really used a forum with this format and it took me a while to get to grips with the BBCode and stuff.

I typed, as I still do, in long sentances and short paragrphs, which also the way in which I write. I also sometimes use archaic language and strange turns of phrase.

I originally came here because I was talking about the animations to someone on another message board and they told me to go on the forums. I'd been watching the animations for a few months before that though.
MrRandomQuotes
When does someone progress from noobdom into the bliss of eternal knowledge? I think of myself as one of the enlightened even though i dont even have 200 posts yet. Although admitedly i was around somepoint last year as AlienMoe. I still cary the trauma of my Duct taping and the scariness of my first few days. Ahh but the games were my savior, 50 posts in my first day ^.^
PsychWardMike
Could someone tell me exactly what the hell logicman was? I've seen banned people like nummynums, but they still have an avatar and information. Logicman is... nothing.

And for the record, mutilation was given a one year suspension.
Greeneyes
When I was a noob, I spammed Daft left, right and centre. Then I spammed Daily Life.
Phyllis
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 23 2005, 12:19 PM)
Could someone tell me exactly what the hell logicman was?  I've seen banned people like nummynums, but they still have an avatar and information.  Logicman is... nothing.

And for the record, mutilation was given a one year suspension.

He really liked to antagonize people. Think an extremely fundamentalist Christian version of your noob self on crack. LOTS of crack...and a narrow mind.

A LOT of us rose to it...and it just ended unhappily. If you want more info than that, I'll PM you and give you the whole story....but that is the brief version. I think that's the most I can say without using words that aren't family friendly....
arachnidoc17
Sounds like someone I know on another forum. General Logic.

His Church has a Bible Gun Camp, for God's sake!
Kitty
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Nov 23 2005, 11:13 AM)
I still think I'm a noob. I somehow managed to avoid the duct-tape hazing and I still possess my eyebrows.

I remember being a bit intimidated at first because EVERYONE seemed like friends. This is the first forum I have been on where there is a tangiable sense of family. I may not be part of it but it's still a classy feeling.

I definatley see myself as a noob sometimes tongue.gif And then I discovered the 'who do you respect?' thread and felt really good to see my name there a couple times and felt very un-noob-ish and very loved happy.gif
I was very intimidated when I first came here, I felt like everyone knew everything about everyone and knew about every thread that ever existed and that I just wouldnt belong =( But people replied to my silly topics and welcomed me into theirs and yay!
Also, this is my first and probably last forum ever, and I am very proud of it

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 23 2005, 01:10 PM)
I actually still think of myself as a noob, because there are loads of people who have been here way longer than me.

We should have a support group, all us non-noob people who feel like noobs....
Cath Sparrow
I've been here a fair amount of time now I dont feel like a noob but I also dont feel like one of the old timers tongue.gif because there's still things that some people talk about from before I joined like when it was General chat (?).
I joined one sunny day back in 03 after my brother showed me and Farieryn the animations (we were in s flat shre back then) and because I was working wierd shifts at the time I was sat at home very bored one afternoon and though what the hell and joined. This is the first forum I joined and is also the one I'm most active in. The first thread I created after my noob thread was 'Does anyone want my job?'. I started to feel as if I really fitted in after I went to my first meet and was ordered to join IRC which I didn't manage to do for a while after that first meet. I now have some great friends due to this forum.
Astarael
I still think I'm a bit of a noob, though my profile suddenly says "Established Members." Why did that change from whatever it was yesterday (member, mod, admin, banned, and whatnot,) and what number transfers you from new to established?
Anyway, I still remember my confusion over CommieBastard's gender is some thread a month or two ago. It was a bit blush-worthy with every single person in the thread knowing but me, but it was funny after a few minutes. laugh.gif "Bastard" can be a gender-neutral insult, curse it! I've been mod-poked a few times but never actually slapped, I do believe. I joined because I suddenly noticed the forum tab after seeing a Samurai Lapin animation for about the twentieth time. I never had an introduction or a duct-taping, but my entrance was fun anyway. This forum now consumes most of the time when I'm supposed to be doing homework, replacing pointless animations from everywhere but here.
little_bear
Back in the day, I just basically spammed Daft and Games alongside DHG. Reading back on my posts now, I cringe. Then DHG got banned, and I was left on my own. So, I stopped posting so much for a bit then stopped posting in Games altogether.

Finally, I got banned for being an insufferable twat, which I still am to this day.

It's all good.
PsychWardMike
Wait... Dancing Hamster Guy is banned?

Damn, I need to keep up with the goings on.

And Cand, I'd be happy for that PM. Or an AIM/MSN chat, though Lo has gotten to me.
little_bear
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 25 2005, 02:09 AM)
Wait... Dancing Hamster Guy is banned?

Damn, I need to keep up with the goings on.

Oh yeah, I believe he got banned roughly around spring this year for having a go at Mata and a spat involiving Feyliya, if I recall correctly.
Mata
I've got logs in the moderator's forums about why people were banned, but I don't consciously remember. When a person gets banned from here it's usually for starting arguments consistently. Occasionally people annoy others so much that I give out a permanent ban. Usually there are a fair number of verbal 'stop that's, followed by an official warning or two, and finally I get too bored to continue having hope that they might learn to have respectful conversations and ban them. Banning eventually usually boils down to me becoming immensely bored of a person's tantrums!

It's very interesting reading through this thread for me. Obviously I've been here since the beginning, and I know you all in various ways (and given a few of you warnings). I'm really proud of what this place has become, but in some ways I'm most happy about the people who were constantly in trouble when they got here but learned how to get along with others without sacrificing anything of themselves. And yes Mike, you were often surviving by the skin of your teeth!

It's interesting that some of you say you still feel like new members, maybe that's some of the appeal that keeps the conversations fresh? Things are always more interesting when you feel that you only partially know those around you. Even the new-feeling people I feel I know well. I've made a lot of friends on here. The forums eat my time (I hate to think how many hours I've spent on here when I could have been working on my thesis) but they are definitely worth it.

For the 'established members' group question see this thread:
http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13731
PsychWardMike
The only reason I feel like a n00b anymore is that I still get a rush when Mata acknowledges my existence. It's like talking to God or Johnny Depp or some other celebrity.
little_bear
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 25 2005, 02:47 AM)
The only reason I feel like a n00b anymore is that I still get a rush when Mata acknowledges my existence.  It's like talking to God or Johnny Depp or some other celebrity.

Youch, dude, that was actually painful to read.
Righteous
Johnny Depp?

And that doesn't make you a noob; it makes you a fanboy. You'd act the same way if Megaman acknowledged your existance, my Capcom-loving comrad.

I remember seeing flame wars used to be so cool. These days they rarely happen and it's more of a case of, "Just shut the Hell up." It's less of a case of "Whoa, dude," and more of a case of, "Some people just shouldn't own keyboards."
LoLo
I'm wondering if the feeling noob like is because you don't really know the different groups of people? If this is the case then I want to jump on the bandwagon of still feeling like a noob even though I'm really not. I guess it's not really a bandwagon, but I often feel like I have no idea who a lot of the people on here are and have to work at getting to know a lot of them.

I remember when I was a noob how the IRC channel was just blossoming and I got urged to go in there by Inky. I spent that day talking to Inky and NoName only to later have awesome people like Leo, Missy, Syuu, Debs, and many many more join. I remember Disturbia kind of made the channel and then disappeared. As time passed we moved from one channel to another because of problems with people coming to them. Now it seems to be pretty good and fun, and I'm just rambling on so I'll stop now.
MrRandomQuotes
Ok, a brief idea on when you officially stop being a noob. (brief because thats as long as i can keep a thought going... what was i saying?)

1: You no longer spam the games continuely.
2: You remember a few of the people on here by name and not just by their cool pic's
3: You've made a half dozen posts consisting of more than 3 lines
... Noooooo I still count as a noob!!!!
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Nov 23 2005, 08:43 PM)
When I was a noob, I spammed Daft left, right and centre. Then I spammed Daily Life.

And games. Don't forget games tongue.gif

When I was a noob, I was on a half term holiday week at my dad's (well, my stepmum's.) I don't think they really knew what to do with me, I was already a pretty serious online gamer at the tender age of 14ish, and a friend of mine pointed me matazone-wards, so I joined the forum. I was on here pretty much constantly for about a week, whilst I had unlimited internet access (mum's not so hot on lots of net-time). I got e-married in my first week to porcelainwarrior, who probably doesn't even remember I exist anymore (beware the perils of speed-dating laugh.gif). I spammed Daft like you would not believe, I had some ridiclously high post count in my first few days. I seem to recall something about being hinsley's noob and Edward_Lover1200's evil twin, or something. And having a permenant image of Commie as a thin-faced, black-haired dude with a crown because that's what his Av looked like. I got fought over by Jaq, Commie and hins to be their noobs, too. I still have the PM's! And yeah... doesn't everyone go through an "I am not worthy, I am a scummy noob" phase when they first join? And then spam to make themselves feel more important and try to be noticed.

Ah, memories biggrin.gif
PsychWardMike
Um, the bit about Johnny Depp/God was intended to be a joke, just so every one knows.

And for the record, I wouldn't give two craps if Megaman acknowledged my existence. If Dante or Viewtiful Joe did, though....
Kitty
Whatever the case, PWM, I have a derranged image of a Johnny Depp/Mata hybrid vision now. Its rather scary.

On another note. I think I feel like a noob because I dont really know anyone on the forums, which I am now slowly starting to change via recruiting people to aim/msn when I get bored tongue.gif
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I still am a noob.. but I'm slightly a slightly less emo one nowadays
The Travis
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 25 2005, 08:37 PM)
Um, the bit about Johnny Depp/God was intended to be a joke, just so every one knows.

And for the record,  I wouldn't give two craps if Megaman acknowledged my existence.  If Dante or Viewtiful Joe did, though....

If Megaman acknowledged my existence I think it would go something like this-

Hey Travis!

Holy Heck!

That's right, I'm talking to you!

This is amazing. Am.. am I insane?

No. Well maybe. I dunno. Either way I need you to do me a favor.

Yeah, sure. Anything.

I need you to go into your kitchen and get me a glass of milk.

Milk? Like for fuel in some ultra rad evil exploding machine?

Mostly for my cereal, but yeah that too.

OK! I'll be right back

Intermission
The Travis
Alright, I'm back. All I had was 2%, I hope that works.

Excellent. Alright, you can go back to crying in the dark and talking to your wall now. Later Trav!

Thanks Megaman!

little_bear
*holds*
*ceaselessly*

Travis, father my children, please.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 25 2005, 01:44 AM)
(and given a few of you warnings)

woo!!

It's interesting that some of you say you still feel like new members

I know what some people are getting at, obviously, I don't think I'm a noob, but there are a helluva lot of regulars here I've never really spoken to or don't speak to as much as I probably could/should, I've gone through the middle of the social circle and come out the other side looking a little lost, or it's just down to me being lazy/antisocial/not interesting enough to talk to. tongue.gif

(Beware the /)
voices_in_my_head
I remember that when I was new here, I had just moved to a new town, and was being ignored by all of the kids here (Everyone in this town grew up together) and I felt great because people were paying attention to me.

I got friends eventually, but everyone here was so nice that I just didn't want to leave! Looking back on my first post, I typed like I couldn't keep an idea in my head for more than two seconds and was in a rush to type it all before I forgot. I still make the same spelling and puncuation mistakes, and I have a feeling that I'll never be good at spelling.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Travis, father my children, please.

I suspect you may have to get in line. biggrin.gif

Okay, on topic! I joined because I met a load of you in a pub in Winchester (and the nine mouthed baby bib had been sent to me by Forever Unknown) and may or may not have ended up in a compromising postion with a forum member. Behave and take your minds out of the gutter! It was innocent! tongue.gif

What do I remember about being a noob? I do think it was harder to become 'established' (not in the title sense) then. The forum was still quite small and insular, I feel. I made an unfortune topic about the fact that my initials were STD. I was bowled over and had hero worship of Miss Tara herself (that never really abated).

To add to my drunken affection for everything right now (there's been beer) I wub this place. *sob, snort* laugh.gif
Astarael
Megaman... that's beautiful. My sniffly day just got a tiny ray of sunshine.
You can still feel like a bit of a newbie sometimes no matter how old you are (unless you're Mata laugh.gif) when you hear about the ancient threads and in-jokes or look at all the fun people have in IRC. There's so much history to plumb before you can even begin to understand some of the running insanity. Though it is a nice feeling when older members talk with you instead of yelling at you for sheer stupidity.
*looks at this somewhat useless soggy post*
*shakes head and posts anyway*
Phyllis
QUOTE (Astarael @ Nov 26 2005, 07:29 PM)
You can still feel like a bit of a newbie sometimes [...] when you hear about the ancient threads and in-jokes or look at all the fun people have in IRC.

So come in there sometime, m'dear. smile.gif That's how all of us got so close. The channel directly prior to #burrito was private, and the name was never mentioned on the forums (until this thread *coughcoughPATcoughcough* tongue.gif ). But on this one new people are always welcome, unless they act like a jerk in there.

Aaaand I'll stop trying to recruit new people for IRC, really. unsure.gif I just made the channel to be something that was open to the whole forum (since people didn't use the official Yahoo chat), so I don't want you to feel like you can't join in or anything.
The Travis
Yeah, they let anyone in. Myself included, even though I sometimes have accidents... I'm learning to be a big boy!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
After the IRC initiation we're lovely really. Well most of us, some of us get a little insecure when new people come to IRC *coughmecough* but it's fun!

New people = good.

Also I worked out the other week I've been on the forum for coming up to two years and that scares me because I do still feel n00bish... especially when surrounded by genuine n00bs, I'm just a weirdo.
gothictheysay
The forum was still quite small and insular, I feel. I made an unfortune topic about the fact that my initials were STD.

Hehe I remember that. You joined two days after I did, so I always compare you to me in my head, or I used to. "We started at about the same time, hmmm..." Yeah, I'm odd. My postcount beats yours because I was spammy. I remember knowing candice's and Mata's post counts and being like "I HAVE TO STOP POSTING OMGZ" because I didn't want to have more than them. Things worked out all right. tongue.gif
MrRandomQuotes
Where the smeg is the IRC link??? I'm bored and want to try something new and scary.
Moosh
QUOTE (MrRandomQuotes @ Dec 1 2005, 04:41 AM)
Where the smeg is the IRC link??? I'm bored and want to try something new and scary.

Either just go to #burrito on mIRC or Chatzilla or xChat or similar, or go here and click on the #burrito channel.
{Gothic Angel}
*Bump*

There are newer noobs now! This thread must not die!

Well most of us, some of us get a little insecure when new people come to IRC *coughmecough* but it's fun!

I am *so* glad that's not just me, snoo tongue.gif
gothictheysay
I made a thread about my hairdryer dying! Candice remembers it quite vividly, so the memory will never die...
Feyliya
Ah yes, I remember my noobly days. I spent a week or two posting poetry in the poetry thread (I should dig that up some time....) before I made my introductions thread and decided to stick around. There was a brief flurry of activity on the thread as people welcomed me, but then it just died. I think it got about 5 posts total, including my own. Hinsley offered to be my noob-mother, but she pretty much ignored me from then on and about a month or two later she quit posting completely. The poetry thread was pretty much what kept me on here, it was pretty rare that someone responded to my posts.

I remember feeling accepted when there was a giant poll and I was chosen as forum poet. Not that I agreed with the results, I voted for Missy.

I, too, remember the forums when it was just one giant posting section. I joined about a week before the amazing (and talented) wearers-of-the-moddy-pants started moving threads about into new sections. It was quite a confusing time.

I remember Debaser. I talked to him a couple of times on IRC, and we chatted once or twice on messenger when we were the only ones on Matazone. I remember feeling like I'd been socked in the gut when I came back after a long hiatus and Candice told me he was gone.

I remember NummyNums and the Incident. I hope she's grown out of attention seeking.

I remember Cheese, Leo, and Elf. I still worry about Elf sometimes.

It's been a long three years. So much has changed, in my life and the forums. It's nice to look back and remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.