Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geek contest!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Jonman
Over Chrimble, I got all the boxes of my stuff out of my mum's loft and went through them, deciding what to keep, what to sell, and what to bin.

So, long story short, I came across all my old RPG books (Palladium, RIFTS, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play), and more to the point, my collection of old character sheets.

Which were filed in a folder.

Alphabetised.

And sorted based not only on characters name, but also on game, and level of character.

And my favourite characters would spread across 5 or 6 sides of A4.

And use about 6 different coloured pens.

And pencil for the bits that would change when levelled up.

I sometimes forget what a geek I am.

I dare you - out-geek me!
Kitty
Not sure if its out geeking you, but its pretty geeky/obsessive anyway. When I was still with my boyfriend, I would leave our AIM windows open for a couple weeks, and when they got too long I'd save them and stick them in a folder.... I have about 50 of these things and alot of them are about nothing.

Sometimes they're fun to read through and point out all the things that have changed over the years.
elphaba2
I exhibit many signs of the classic non-techie geek--example: As opposed to just buying a pair of tye-dyed jeans (which would not be a major hardship, considering that I only own about six pairs of pants altogether), I spent the last week painstakingly batiking an old pair. This entails heating wax, carefully dripping it over the jeans, and then dyeing it several different colors. Following the first dyeing, the jeans must be rinsed completely, dried completely, and then have parts of the wax stripped off and a new pattern of wax applied. I dyed mine only four times (pink, then a light blue, then green, then navy) but each dyeing has taken an entire day. I'm midway through removing the final section of wax, and if it does not come out right, I will probably just expire.

Truly I tell you, this is wardrobe geekery at its finest.
little_bear
I am completely anal in the way files on my computer are named. Each file has to be correctly capitalised, like so:

"Psychology - Developmental Psychology"

I absolutely cannot have the file as "psychology - developmental psychology", or any other variant of that.

My music collection is also structured by artist.

I despise having desktop shortcuts on my PC. This is a shot of my desktop as it stands. Note the complete absense of desktop icons. Plus, I religiously empty My Recycle Bin, too.

Erm, I can't think of anything else.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 01:33 AM)
I despise having desktop shortcuts on my PC. This is a shot of my desktop as it stands. Note the complete absense of desktop icons.

Gotcha beat, I only have the Recycle Bin on my PC and Macintosh HD icon on my mac. Except when I'm working on a project, then I keep it on the desktop for easy access.
Mata
Currently I have around 50 shortcuts on my desktop. I go through and file things away occasionally, but sometimes it's very useful to have them there. I use the ones to open software usually several times per-day, so it makes sense to have them out.

For a bloke who makes a living from working with computers, I think I'm very un-geeky.
Kitty
Just thought of a couple things. Nothing really to do with computers, but definatley pretty geeky.

I periodically go to the bookstore and buy a couple books that I think I really want to read. When I get home I find them a place on my bookshelf.
My bookshelf is organized into two parts:
*Read and
*Unread

From there I group them by the way they make me feel (which tends to go by genres) There's fantasy which usually goes right along the childrens novels (they make me feel innocent and carefree, and also like I'm escaping from the world) then there's crap like Dean Koonts, Anne Rice (which for some reason doesnt fall under the 'fantasy' genre for me) and Stephen King stuff, along with a couple random things like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Joy Luck Club and The Princess Bride. They're the kind of books that are a really good read, but that I keep thinking are total crap and not worth my time. (with the exception of Anne Rice, her stuff is kind of a waste of my time.... never got through Vampire Lestat....) Then it goes into the self help/philisophical/fiction novel type things. Which include things like Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven (one of which I discovered I dont have.... Think I sent it to my ex boyfriend and forgot about it.... grah) High Fedelity, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Catcher in the Rye. If I had On The Road it would go there. Then there are a couple random books that really dont go anywhere and they drive the living daylights out of me. Things like Naked Lunch, a random Manga (Battle Royal) that I never got the rest of the series to, a Mythology book, a Robert Frost poetry book, Grimms Fairy Tales.... Some of this stuff I put into categories by if they have multiple story type things that you could just pick up, flip to a page and spend a couple minutes reading and be done. That and collections of people's works.... Like I have all of Shakespeares works EVER all put into one book (its like the bible, I swear) and all the HItchhikers books....

Now that I'm looking at my bookshelf I feel the need to move everything around again. I do this periodically too. I'm very anal about my books. My bookshelf has a whole bunch of junk on it.... Oou I found something to do tonight!
{Gothic Angel}
My Chemistry class got a biiiiiig booklet comprised of lots of practise papers for christmas from my teacher this year. I thought it was a fantastic present.

I carefully removed the incorrect apostrophe from a sign saying "Swimming Pool's half price" at the garden centre.

My character folder is arranged into sections: D&D, GURPS, and then all the fanfic RPGs, then by individual game, character and name after that. I have a section of photocopied sheets from the players' manuals as well, for the classes and races I play a lot. And a section for pictures.

It's also indexed.

And the majority of my characters have many pictures, a history and I would imagine most people pencil in the level-dependent bits.

I think I'm probably still out-geeked, but that seems like a damn good try to me biggrin.gif
little_bear
I thought of a new one as I was walking to the bus station today.

I mentally think "lol" or "arf" whenever I see something that is funny in everyday life.

I don't know if that's incredibly geeky or incredibly sad, to be honest. _
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 4 2006, 03:28 AM)
For a bloke who makes a living from working with computers, I think I'm very un-geeky.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAH
*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAH

*wipes tear away*
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 04:56 PM)
I mentally think "lol" or "arf" whenever I see something that is funny in everyday life.

I know I keep picking up on things you post, but I very nearly said "lol" out loud once, the only stumbling block that saved me was I wasn't quite sure how to say it. Then again I met someone who kept saying lol as a word....he annoyed me.
Chronotub
I would say I am fairly geeky but not the orginised hard working type, more the layabout student type.
At the moment I my bedroom is a total mess with white dwarf and gamming magazines, revision notes, boxes of warhammer, boxes floopy disks and text books littering the floor.
their is a pile of CD's on the floor where my cd tower got nocked and I can't be botherd to pick them up, (this has been for a few weeks now)
In college I work hard when its needed (I allways get coursework and stuff in on time) but I tend to slack of as much as I can, my homework is normally rushed through at 1 in he morning because I have spent the evening dossing about with my mates (we dont go clubbing or anything) or watching cartoons while surfing the internet.
bryden42
oh dear.....

I have all my characters saved to my pc and in printed format, filed away by name alphabetically, I also have a number of my friends characters filed on my pc too, in the same format, i also tend to download copies of all of the rp books that i buy and save them to my pc so that i don't have to use the main books except during the game, these are all filed away alphabetically by game. all my characters are poly pocketed, I have one folder that holds the character being used and one folder for all the archived characters, if a character is pulled out of archive it goes into the play folder and the character in play goes to archive. whilst playing my dice all have to be set up in a row from smallest die to largest with the max number showing on top. I never write on the character sheet, I use another pad which stays with the play folder and any change of info gets written on this.

so does anyone have a number or site for help with obsesive compulsive disorder? smile.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 4 2006, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 04:56 PM)

I know I keep picking up on things you post, but I very nearly said "lol" out loud once, the only stumbling block that saved me was I wasn't quite sure how to say it. Then again I met someone who kept saying lol as a word....he annoyed me.

I've shouted "Double you tee eff!" before now. In public.
{Gothic Angel}
Greeneyes actually said "lol" once, I believe. I think them, but don't say them.

Also: Chronotub has floopy discs! I want a floopy disc! biggrin.gif
Kitty
I say double you tee eff alot, because I dont like cursing (if I can help it) and thats the easiest way to express extreme annoyance without saying the acctual word.... I think it also stuck because me and my boyfriend use to joke around using all the internet acronyms in preppy voices.... Heehh.

I think I say lol out loud too, but not "ell oh ell" I pronounce it as a word.... I'm not quite certain if I say it outloud or just think it, though....
Chronotub
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 4 2006, 08:43 PM)
Greeneyes actually said "lol" once, I believe. I think them, but don't say them.

I said lol once and all my mates just staired at me, and where quite suprised

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 4 2006, 08:43 PM)
Also: Chronotub has floopy discs! I want a floopy disc! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Commie and I have more than once phonetically said words like wtf ("wutteff"), omg, bbl, brb etc at eachother in a spoken conversation.
Phyllis
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jan 4 2006, 12:46 PM)
Commie and I have more than once phonetically said words like wtf ("wutteff"), omg, bbl, brb etc at eachother in a spoken conversation.

They did this on the Tube ride from Heathrow the first day I met them. No other words, just Internet acronyms for at least a couple of minutes. omgwtfbbq was my favorite to hear out loud.
Usurper MrTeapot
Heh, I forgot about that. Damn we are sad. I sometimes PM Commie with the geekiest stuff I thought about/saw that day.

Pimp: The Backhand. [/injoke]
Astarael
I have a friend who says "ell oh ell" in everyday conversation and it drives me absolutely mad with rage. But I say "dot dot dot" occasionally, so I have no room to talk. I have no defense. I haven't played D&D with real people in years because I can't find a group, but I'd probably be obsessive with the character sheets. I may start doing that if I ever start writing short stories to expand like I've been meaning to. dry.gif And one of my yearly anticipated events is playing Risk with my dad's somewhat nerdy friends.
elphaba2
I spent midnight to one o'clock on the phone last night, talking about the structure of the brain and the role of nicotinic agonists on various neurotransmitters.

Wasn't homework.

I actually just wanted to know.
Calantyr
A passion of mine is studying maps of geo-political boundry shifts throughout history. Not to mention waves cultural and religious change. Half of my My Documents folder seem to be scans of maps and paintings of famous locations and buildings throughout the century. I'm not sure I find them exciting... but they are rather interesting nonetheless.

Oh yes, I even have an old b&w photograph of Konstantinoupolis from around 1900 perched atop my computer at the moment. It's held in place with my Hellsing shot glass and bottle of Austrian schnaps.
Mata
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Jan 4 2006, 10:41 PM)
Oh yes, I even have an old b&w photograph of Konstantinoupolis from around 1900 perched atop my computer at the moment. It's held in place with my Hellsing shot glass and bottle of Austrian schnaps.

I'm not sure if that's geeky or just eccentric. I've always believed that the line between eccentricity and madness is defined by funds, but I think it's more difficult to place the line between eccentircity and geekiness. I'd say that I'm a bit eccentric, but I may be flattering myself.

Is it me, or does D&D sound like the hobby of frustrated engineers looking to have something to control?
Kitty
I was wondering what that thought was lurking in the back of my mind! I couldn't put it into words. Thanks Mata. Except my thought was more along the lines of the hobby of frustrated _gamers_ looking to have something to control. Other than their game, which they must not have much control over if they're frustrated.... Or so says my logic.
Moosh
QUOTE (Mata)
Although you have just displayed yourself to be a true geek by judging the outdoor lighting conditions using your desktop wallpaper!

This is what Mata said to me earlier. I have to agree that it was a bit geeky.
bryden42
Is it me, or does D&D sound like the hobby of frustrated engineers looking to have something to control?"

control, control you must learn control" thus spake Yoda!
Mutilation
Well, one time when me and my brother got our hands on a laptop we used MSN to speak to eachother even though we were sitting about a 10 cm away from eachother.

I then went on to beat him on C&C Tiberium Sun, Gunbound, Starcraft and Ragnarok Online. dry.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Jan 4 2006, 08:20 PM)
oh dear.....

I have all my characters saved to my pc and in printed format, filed away by name alphabetically, I also have a number of my friends characters filed on my pc too, in the same format, i also tend to download copies of all of the rp books that i buy and save them to my pc so that i don't have to use the main books except during the game, these are all filed away alphabetically by game. all my characters are poly pocketed, I have one folder that holds the character being used and one folder for all the archived characters, if a character is pulled out of archive it goes into the play folder and the character in play goes to archive. whilst playing my dice all have to be set up in a row from smallest die to largest with the max number showing on top. I never write on the character sheet, I use another pad which stays with the play folder and any change of info gets written on this.

so does anyone have a number or site for help with obsesive compulsive disorder? smile.gif

You win. By a country mile.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 6 2006, 02:19 AM)
Is it me, or does D&D sound like the hobby of frustrated engineers looking to have something to control?

*narrows eyes*
You're thinking of me when you say that, aren't you
markslut
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 6 2006, 09:24 PM)

*narrows eyes*
You're thinking of me when you say that, aren't you

I could name a house of people like that.
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 6 2006, 08:46 PM)
Well, one time when me and my brother got our hands on a laptop we used MSN to speak to eachother even though we were sitting about a 10 cm away from eachother.

My room mate and I do that all the time, actually. And I've had several friends come over and talk to me through that manner as well. blink.gif

hmm, somehow the things in here seem more like anal organization than geekery, to be honest.

I'm a geeky gamer, but as I'm not organized at all, I don't think I can compete tongue.gif
{Gothic Angel}

I can't speak for the world, but that's certainly not true of me. Even in a "I'm in denial" way tongue.gif
bryden42
You win. By a country mile.
I win, i win, i win.... this isn't something to be proud of, is it?
Mittens322
I have a suitcase for my Magic cards.

Alphebetized and aranged by expansion.

all 1317 of them.
Fluffy
I look to my left and see a map of Vvardenfell and Mournhold (from Morrowind). Not to mention the map of the Sword Coast region near Neverwinter and of Amn (from Forgotten Realms). All of this is right next to the forty-six item list of the laws of anime. Directly behind me is a television with these video game systems hooked up to it: one Playstation 2, one Super Nintendo, one Dreamcast, one Nintendo 64, one NES, one Gamecube, and one Atari 2600. There is also a calendar from a Chinese take-out restaurant, a copy of the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book sitting atop a compilation of the series, and a cheap, plastic replication of the beads Inuyasha wears in the anime of the same name (albeit, when I paid $16 for them I didn't realize they were plastic; if I wanted plastic beads I would actually go to the Mardi Gras parades that occur here every year). To my right, the first thing to catch my eye is about four days worth of anime (that's watching it non-stop, and that doesn't include the Fullmetal Alchemist episodes and Miyazaki movies I have recorded). Further inspection of nearby shelves and drawers reveals several computer games and books for second edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (in my taste, it's too easy to create munchkins in third edition). Moving along we have tacked to the wall a piece of paper that reads in giant, bold print "42." Now, we come to about three shelves of manga (some of which is in Japanese, despite my not knowing Japanese, I am learning it though and the manga has helped (despite the fact that the Japanese used in it is rather unnatural)). There is also a dictionary of kanji, a Nintendo DS, two video game posters, an anime poster, and an anime wall scroll. I carry a courier bag (with an anime logo on it, of course) to school instead of a backpack. Animemusicvideos.org tells me I have downloaded about nine gigabytes worth of data. I have my bookmarks organized by subject matter. All of this is nicely topped off by the chemistry joke (not devised by myself) in the first line of my signature. Yes, sulfuric acid is not a fun thing to drink. Don't forget that I just spent half an hour typing a forum post about how geeky I am. Oh, and did I mention I have tried both, and I prefer glasses to contacts?

Bow before my geekery, serfs! biggrin.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (Mittens322 @ Jan 8 2006, 04:03 AM)

all 1317 of them.

That's not geeky - that's essential
bryden42
agreed, my magic cards are arranged into folders by colour all in poly pockets with 9 sections per poly, then split into creatures and spells, spells are then further divided into enchantments, creature enchantments, instants, sorceries and mana sources, each section is arranged by casting cost. MY starwars CCG cards are arranged by ligt and dark side then split into aliens, characters, effects, instants equipment etc etc all in alphabetical order. I have 12 boxes containing 42 sectioned partitions each holding a heroclix figure, all in points cost order with a seperate box for uniques.
Mutilation
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Jan 8 2006, 12:43 PM)
agreed, my magic cards are arranged into folders by colour all in poly pockets with 9 sections per poly, then split into creatures and spells, spells are then further divided into enchantments, creature enchantments, instants, sorceries and mana sources, each section is arranged by casting cost. MY starwars CCG cards are arranged by ligt and dark side then split into aliens, characters, effects, instants equipment etc etc all in alphabetical order. I have 12 boxes containing 42 sectioned partitions each holding a heroclix figure, all in points cost order with a seperate box for uniques.

O_O

And I thought arranging my pokemon cards by element was geeky.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 8 2006, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Jan 8 2006, 12:43 PM)

O_O

And I thought arranging my pokemon cards by element was geeky.

It is. Just not as geeky.
Novander
QUOTE (Mittens322 @ Jan 8 2006, 03:03 AM)

all 1317 of them.

You need another 20. Then you'll be nerdcore.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Jan 8 2006, 01:43 PM)

But do you have the little individual plastic sleeve to put your playing pack in?
My Ex swapped his magic cards for Cthullu Mythos cards.
Moosh
QUOTE (trunks_girl26 @ Jan 6 2006, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jan 6 2006, 08:46 PM)

My room mate and I do that all the time, actually. And I've had several friends come over and talk to me through that manner as well. blink.gif

yeah? Well I'm using two computers and two passports and having a conversation with myself over MSN. Beat that.
I_am_the_best
I use two passports and one computer to have conversations with myself. It's surprisingly fun arguing with yourself too.
markslut
I've learnt that to avoid starting at least an hours worth of geeking on UK goth IRC you do not mention

Linux (any distro)
Trains
Programing languages
What is Goth
Munting
Daria
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Jan 4 2006, 11:41 PM)
A passion of mine is studying maps of geo-political boundry shifts throughout history. Not to mention waves cultural and religious change. Half of my My Documents folder seem to be scans of maps and paintings of famous locations and buildings throughout the century. I'm not sure I find them exciting... but they are rather interesting nonetheless.

I found this old book circa 1910 in a local Oxfam shop, entitled with something like "Political Europe; 1750-1875" (I would check but it is in the loft as I am re-decorating atm) and it has a whole section of maps in the back. You're not the only one who reads this subject for fun biggrin.gif A Brief History Of Time is also preferred reading.

I'm not really competeing in the geekiness bit. I am far too eccentric for it all tongue.gif
Phyllis
People still have those Magic card thingummies? I had a friend in high school whose dad did illustrations for them.

That's not geeky of me, though. I guess it would be more so if I was a fangirl of his or something, but I wasn't. He was just my friend's dad. Can't remember what else he illustrated...fantasy-ish type stuff.

I'm not all that geeky myself. Well, aside from the fact that I run an IRC channel. And I've never had a relationship that began offline. And I am completely serious in my intent to walk down the aisle to music from a videogame. Still, not impressive when compared with others.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Novander @ Jan 8 2006, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (Mittens322 @ Jan 8 2006, 03:03 AM)

all 1317 of them.

You need another 20. Then you'll be nerdcore.

I thought exactly the same thing, we're so 1337.
Pikasyuu
At work, I held a conversation with one of my co-workers for half an hour about Pokemon. Not just an overview, we were debating about which Pokemon work better in the game for certain battles, and at what level. I'm also the designated computer genius whizz since our system goes down all the time, and I've said 'rofl' outloud. Many times.

I also tend to eat at the computer. Because chances are, I'm doing something with it.

Instead of working during class, I read Freud's psychology lectures and whatever's left over of Palahniuk.

Still, that's nothing compared to Moop. tongue.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jan 8 2006, 08:43 PM)
I use two passports and one computer to have conversations with myself. It's surprisingly fun arguing with yourself too.

I've known you have conversations with yourself when talking to me and I brb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.