Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does anyone know what "emo" is?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Pages: 1, 2
tv with legs
well, its been disturbing me lately that i havent found much people that know what emo is. so just a gucik question, do you know what emo is?
(im not trying to make anyone mad.)
mooooooooooopo
A genre of music and the fashion and culture that people who listen to it (or pretend to listen to it) tend to follow.

'Emo' is short for emotional, though the pages I linked make that clear.

Generally based on punk but softer and with whiney lyrics about the singers ex girlfriends. >_> Maybe I have a slightly skewed view of it.

I'm by no means a fan but Wikipedia is all powerful so I figured I'd answer.
Novander
Hahahahahahahahaha... you can't expect to ask what emo is and not start an arguement.

Its pretty much agreed upon by all that Emo (short for emotional hardcore) started in the late 80s/early 90s with bands like Rites of Spring, Embrace and Husker Du.

In the mid 90s bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Far, Mineral and the Appleseed Cast brought out their own brand of emo, which was labelled emocore, and was generally more melodic than the original emo, though keeping to the poetic nature of the lyrics.

Those bands definitely are emo. Anyone who disagrees here is actually wrong, and this isn't just me being all "I'm so totally more emo than you."

The problem arises when we hit the 21st century, and the next generation of emo bands come out. These days everyone has their own opinions on whether Funeral For A Friend or Hawthorne Heights or whoever are actually emo. Certainly most of them are influenced by the early emo bands. And then there's the emergence of emo as a being a culture, not just a style of music. Again, everyone has different ideas as to what this entails.

Edit: Moop, that kitten is just too damn ugly. Its got negative cuteness. It makes other kittens cry.
Astarael
I must agree about the kitten. That thing is downright ugly.
Anyway, I know a few people who define themselves as emo, but they really aren't such a flattering representation of the whole subculture. Mainly they whien about how horrible their love lives are and write bad poetry. tongue.gif
beleraphon
"I wish my lawn was Emo, then it would cut itself"

A joke thats been doing the rounds recently.

Seriously, I'm not being flippant or insulting about those who self-harm, I know how life destroying it can be.
The joke was told to me by the biggest fan of Emo music and culture I know, who also has a very ironic sense of humor.
In a way it does sum up something of the culture though - laughing through the tears sort of thing.
Phyllis
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Jan 16 2006, 10:12 PM)
well, its been disturbing me lately that i havent found much people that know what emo is.

Just curious, but why would you find this disturbing? blink.gif I mean, surely there are more pressing issues to be concerned with rather than knowing the definition of emo?

Not trying to insult or belittle you or anything...I'm just honestly curious about why it would concern you so much.
greymullet
I saw a post somewhere a couple of months back where someone said "Emo is the new goth, but there are still goths around too. It's intolerable". On the plus side, it does mean that all of the miscellaneous eyeliner and black wearers don't get labelled as 'goth' any more, which I guess must leave most goths feeling pretty relieved. On the other hand, I'm fed up with being called emo just because I happen to wear more makeup than most of the girls that I know.

In summary, they'll go away eventually. Just look out for the ones that suddenly change fashion. They, sadly, appear to be the definition of emo these days.
The Lorax
It's true. Emo is soon going to be replaced by 80's-esque synth poppish stuff (so it seems)....if anyone's fimiliar with 'Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn' by HelloGoodbye(?) then you know what I'm talking about.

...I just don't know if it's a good or bad thing. blink.gif
mooooooooooopo
Okay, I've finally given up on resisting:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...&q=fall+out+boy

Clicky for an average person attempting to understand the strange language of emo. Warning: Contains occasional badly drawn phallic objects.

It was amusing until I found the real lyrics and found them much funnier. He seems to go from saying how girl A means nothing to him to wanting to shoot himself over her. He also seems to have forgotten to look up "God complex" before using the phrase in his song. Possibly the reason they broke up is because he seems to be stalking her, which most people find rather creepy.

Disclaimer: This is not a flame, I'm sure there are good emo bands, these guys just make me cry by making no sense and requiring the lyrics in front of you to comprehend what their singer is saying. I seriously failed to interpret their lyrics any other way.
Daria
I love that video biggrin.gif It just about sums it all up really.
Astarael
Here are the real lyrics to the video, but they don't make much more sense than the parody. Unintelligible angsty emo songs seem to be created just for parodies. Great video. tongue.gif
tv with legs
posers are my pet peeves.
>.>

emo
EMOtive hardcore rock
idk, its just that lately ive seen alot of people obsessed with emo. really badly.
i just wanted to know if anyone knew what it i was.

(please please please, im not trying to start an arguement.

actually, some people say that emo isnt realy except for the genre
and others say its real but too many posers
i guess it depends on how you view it.
ladysan
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Jan 19 2006, 01:39 AM)
posers are my pet peeves.
>.>

emo
EMOtive hardcore rock
idk, its just that lately ive seen alot of people obsessed with emo. really badly.
i just wanted to know if anyone knew what it i was.

(please please please, im not trying to start an arguement.

actually, some people say that emo isnt realy except for the genre
and others say its real but too many posers
i guess it depends on how you view it.

Well, with me fresh out of high school [as of last june] I can definitely attest to the explosion of "emo"-riffic culture in the last two years. I suppose this is just the way that pop-cukture is swinging, and when this trend ends, much like boy bands of the nineties, the pop-culture youth will move on to it's next fad.

As far as "real" emo goes, well, that's subjective. If a 'poser' kid genuinely believes they are an emo kid, are they? Some people would say yes, others would say no. I say that it's not my place to judge the kid, seeing as that reminds me a little too much of high school.

As far as the music goes- It's not my thing; and by that I mean that I would love to cholk the lead singer of MCR until he turned blue and sta-
*ahem*
I prefer the Electronica Genres, myself.
Mata
You've heard the competing definitions, now hear the best:

An 'Emo' person is just a goth who doesn't like goth music.

biggrin.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (ammisan @ Jan 23 2006, 11:43 PM)
As far as the music goes- It's not my thing; and by that I mean that I would love to cholk the lead singer of MCR until he turned blue and sta-

Hehehe. I would too. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I don't see the point of trying to organize people into neat little groups like that. If someone wants to say they're emo, goth, or whatever else...I don't care. I'm not going to tell them that they aren't. I don't see why it should matter to me how other people classify themselves.

But then, I don't base my identity around being associated with a particular genre of music. Perhaps it would mean more to someone who wanted to be seen a certain way, and thought others were ruining their reputation by identifying themselves the same way and acting in a manner the person didn't like. So then the person just wants to yell "Hey, stop that, you're making the rest of us look bad!" Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like being American... rolleyes.gif

But nationality is something you're born with, and is a lifelong thing in most cases. Trends come and go, and it's probably best to not get too worked up about them. And anyone who would make assumptions about you based on the behavior of some other people who share a common trait with you is an idiot anyway. TWL, maybe you should just worry about how you portray yourself rather than getting so worked up about people who are, according to you, "posers."

Just a thought.
Astarael
I don't really know much about what real emo music sounds like, but the few samples I've heard have been awful.
I can understand the point about the real followers being upset about posers. There was a brief movement (it's not quite dead yet) at my school where being a nerd was supposedly cool, so the stylish girls were wearing shirts that said "Talk nerdy to me" and trying to pretend that they understood computers when they couldn't even explain what a hard drive was when they were asked. The guys who proudly identify themselves as nerds were horrified at the comparison and couldn't wait for the fad to end. tongue.gif
The Lorax
At school, the different ways people dress classify 'gangs'...which goes as such:

The 'tree kids' are the 'punk' kids, mostly in black, and various accessories, they all have tempers (I'm friends with many) and are the ones most of the 'normal' kids are scared of.

The 'wall kids' are the goth/misc misfit kids, are the ones that eat kind of over by 'the tree' but just lean against the wall and wear more black than the previous group, plus the black makeup and such. (I'm friends with some.)

The band kids sit infront of the band building. (I know all of them.)

And the 'nazi kids' eat at the opposite side of the court yard from the 'tree' and 'wall' kids. They're really not nazi's, some of them just have shaved heads, so everyone thought they were. In all actualness, they're just the lacrosse team. These are my current lunch group.

Anyway, there was a big thing last year between the 'tree' kids and the 'nazi' kids...which ended in anti-nazi patches being made, and suspension, and an almost all-out brawl. So yes, they all got called into a big meeting, and were told that if any of the 'gangs' from the court yard got in any more trouble, they'd be expelled...

It's stupid really. But yes, now our school is a 'gang' school because one group of people that dress alike get mad at another and it turns into badness.

Thankfully everything calmed down this year.
tv with legs
but emos arent goths, so i dont think
actually its the scene kids yall ahve to watch out for.
god i hate them, they try to be all trendy and stuff. >.<
so they think they are emo!.
but are not ohmy.gif ]
i just wish people could relize that it is scene kids that should be public enemy number one (j\k)
lol
i do wish that this trend does go away, it does get annoying >.<

( i wish i could choke gerard way till he goes *pop!*)

doesnt anyone listen to rites of spring or indian summer?
Sir Psycho Sexy
WHEN THERES NOTHING LEFT TO BURN YOU HAVE TO SET YOUR SELF ON FIRE +
when i become popular, the world will end. +
love me and i will die =
Emo! laugh.gif
Mata
QUOTE (The Lorax @ Jan 25 2006, 01:33 AM)
And the 'nazi kids' eat at the opposite side of the court yard from the 'tree' and 'wall' kids. They're really not nazi's, some of them just have shaved heads, so everyone thought they were. In all actualness, they're just the lacrosse team.

Help we're being invaded by the Nazis!

Oh.

Wait, don't panic, it's only the Lacrosse team again. Phew! biggrin.gif

Can I quote that in my blog please?
elphaba2
QUOTE (The Lorax @ Jan 24 2006, 08:33 PM)
It's stupid really. But yes, now our school is a 'gang' school...

Aww. We have real gangs at my school. They attack day laborers and steal from 7-11s.

As far as emo goes, there's a significant following of groups like Hawthorne Heights among some of the kids who watch MTV and lots of the hipsters like Bright Eyes. No one really dresses according to emo style, though. Closest thing to it (as far as I can see) would be the theater kids, who have a penchant for black-framed glasses and poorly dyed hair (though the hot color to rebel with is red-brown). The theater kids are weak imitations of theater kids long past--these noobs think that theater is composed of Rent, Avenue Q and maybe a quick stop over to Wicked. And they all like Ashlee Simpson.

Clique-wise, there's the boys who play lacrosse, all of whom quote Dane Cook and secretly long to be wrestlers, and the girls who comb and curl their eyelashes. Most of these girls wear low-slung jeans, polo shirts and shrunken sweaters, and listen to the Garden State soundtrack. We used to have a significant hippie population, but most of those petered out after their fifth year of high school. There's also the black girls who tend to make themselves interchangable*, much to my dismay. They wear fur-trimmed high-heeled boots and very slick lips. There's a clan of trendy Jewish boys who enroll in too many AP classes and whine about it. Frankly, I miss the hippies.

*this is different from the monotony of other cliques because this one appears to be common to everyone in a race-gender group, as opposed to a sports team or group who swap makeup tips--thereby making the one who draws the generalizations profoundly uncomfortable. But it is very difficult to find a black girl at my school who doesn't fall into this group.
Astarael
Your school sounds a bit like mine as far as cliques go, elphaba2.
We have a crowd of wannbe goth kids who think that shopping at Hot Topic and painting their nails black will make them edgy and cool, but our real emo population is very small.
I sort of know what you mean about the interchangable black girls, uncomfortable as it is, but my school is roughly one-third "Magnet" students, so we have interchangables and a group of really smart ones who I would like to know better if they were in more of my classes.
The Magnet program basically pulls a lot of the smart kids out of their home schools and puts them in one place where there are more challenging classes. I entered the Magnet program my freshman year and have had a lot of fun with it. It tends to cut some of the cliques up because deep down we know that we're all a bit geeky for taking harder classes by choice. tongue.gif We are sort of divided into different groups at different times (several tend to overlap): band kids, orchestra kids, advanced math students (these are the ones taking classes so hard that you would normally have them a year or two into college,) Robotics Club people, yearbook staff, and the inevitable cheerleaders and football players, though not many in the last group are in the Magnet program. We're all a bit like your group of Jewish boys, elphaba2, in that we all take far too many AP classes and then whine about how we're not getting enough sleep.
ladysan
QUOTE (Astarael @ Jan 25 2006, 05:05 PM)
We have a crowd of wannbe goth kids who think that shopping at Hot Topic and painting their nails black will make them edgy and cool

Haha, I am reminded of my old high school.
The "goth" population at my school was fairly large, actually, and the 'wannabe' kids never lasted too long. [If you can't tell, I subscribed to the 'Gothic Raver' subclass in high school.] We usually scared off people who bothered us, and then resumed our talks of Ren Faire, Philosiphy, Religion, Social Nuances, and wether any one of us would pass Government.

Man, I miss high school.
bryden42
lets see who gets this!

I AM NOT GOTH I'M FAR TOO INDIVIDUAL FOR THAT

smile.gif tee hee
Mata
"Goths: Being individual in the same way as each-other since c.1982"
pixie
and shunning those not individual in the same way as them too.... don't forget that bit.
Mata
Something occured to me today, when I saw an older-than-average emo guy walking up the highstreet with someone who I assume was his mother: Goth has been around, in mostly the same form, for over twenty years, do you think that in 2026 there will be old emo people with cheap dyed black asymetric haircuts?
PsychWardMike
I can only hope. That'll give me an entirely new level of pathetic to make fun of online as I sit in a stained wife beater and scarf down TV Dinner after TV Dinner.
craziness
EMO: kids who listen to emo music (fall out boy, sound the alarm, jimmy eat world, paramore, bright eyes, my chemical romance... just to name a few) go to emo shows, wear black eyeliner, black nailpolish, wear converse and/or vans, dye their hair dark/ where it long and covering their eyes, its "EMOtional" punk kind of.
if you havent already seen this webpage (the emo song), you MUST (its hilarious):
http://emosong.ytmnd.com/

yes i do have friends who are "emo," but they are cool. its fun to make fun of their music. hehehe. they go to shows a lot and like cutting their hair and making themselves look much sadder than they actually are. but give them a chance! they are not so bad.
elphaba2
I am reading a history of emo! It's called Nothing Feels Good after a...Promise Ring album? Maybe? I can't keep all the bands straight. But what's interesting is that it came out in '03, when emo was slightly more of a "preppie" thing (Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eat World, perhaps) and less of a "punk" thing, veering away from the original genre (Fugazi being an example of this). However now, with Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance (who are maybe a little more goth than emo, basically a warmed over Cure), emo appears to be returning to its punkier roots and making fashions like the ones craziness just described "emo". Personally I think it's due to the Pussycat Dolls and Backstreet's return cycling popular music back to its pattern pre-2004. But I'm just a lone nut.

Novander! If you haven't already, read the book. Again, it's Nothing Feels Good by Andy Greenwald, who writes (or wrote) for Spin. Very funny but jam-packed with information.
Witless
So I stumbled on this link recently and thought of this thread...

The emo song

It's quite funny I think.. smile.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Witless @ Mar 9 2006, 04:17 PM)

The emo song

Hahaha, the DJ was playing that between bands at the punk night last night, funny as hell. tongue.gif
Calantyr
QUOTE (Witless @ Mar 9 2006, 05:17 PM)

The emo song

Dear diary, sometimes I think you're my only friend...

*lights a black candle, sets self on fire, complains that death isn't obscure enough*
Astarael
The link isn't working for me, but I'll find another path to it later. All the comments I've seen about it have been positive.
tv with legs
oh wow, that isnt emo.
emo: indian summer, funeral diner, texas is the reason, jawbreaker, after school knife fight.
emo kids dont wear eyeliner. cuz emo is dead and its impossible to be emo, emo is a genre of music.
you are talking about the typical scene kid.
"guns go bangxbang"

QUOTE (craziness @ Feb 26 2006, 06:44 PM)
EMO: kids who listen to emo music (fall out boy, sound the alarm, jimmy eat world, paramore, bright eyes, my chemical romance... just to name a few) go to emo shows, wear black eyeliner, black nailpolish, wear converse and/or vans, dye their hair dark/ where it long and covering their eyes, its "EMOtional" punk kind of.
if you havent already seen this webpage (the emo song), you MUST (its hilarious):
http://emosong.ytmnd.com/

yes i do have friends who are "emo," but they are cool. its fun to make fun of their music. hehehe. they go to shows a lot and like cutting their hair and making themselves look much sadder than they actually are. but give them a chance! they are not so bad.
Smiler
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 24 2006, 12:56 PM)

I'd had it that Emo's were goths not realising they're goths becaues they're to cool and superior to be goths. They don't like goth music and generally scorn goth ideals while listening to punkier, harder goth based tunes being too young to actually be goths in a true sense because they're more original hanging around with the other individual emos in town centres and pedestrian shopping areas looking the same.
Could always be wrong though..

and hold on
QUOTE (craziness @ Feb 27 2006, 01:44 AM)
kids who listen to emo music ... jimmy eat world... wear converse and/or vans... its "EMOtional" punk kind of...

I never thought j.e.w were Emo. They're intelligent and jaunty in my mind, but that could just be me not hip wiv da trends tho. And converse and vans in my mind have always been more the preserve of the skaters, who tend to be a slightly brighter bunch (i.e lighter not smarter). Converse are in many colours other than black, most with white caps etc, and my vans biege, yo'd never catch a 'true' emo in biege! Apart from the Emo-Skaters, or the skatemos, or the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

wink.gif
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Mar 10 2006, 01:01 PM)
emo kids dont wear eyeliner. cuz emo is dead and its impossible to be emo, emo is a genre of music.

Sorry to be a little harsh but, that's an absolute load of cobblers. How can you possibly state that something is dead when examples still exist? I'll add that I've seen more than a few emo types with and without eyeliner. You can't just go around making authoritative statements like that, particularly not in a thread you started with the title of "does anyone know what "emo" is," that you yourself started!
Izzy
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Jan 17 2006, 01:12 AM)
well, its been disturbing me lately that i havent found much people that know what emo is. so just a gucik question, do you know what emo is?
(im not trying to make anyone mad.)

Emo is several things. It's a type of music, and it describes certain types of people.
Some bands are Bullet for my Valentine, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and for more recent stuff that you've probally heard about, My Chemical Romance. Emo's, the people, are usually on the darker side of things, and cut themselves. A lot of people get emo and goth confused, but it's actually two complete different things.

-Izzy
Izzy
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 24 2006, 06:56 AM)
You've heard the competing definitions, now hear the best:

biggrin.gif

Not nessicarily, from what I know, an 'emo' is a person who cuts themselves, and a lot of them do like 'goth' music.

What would you consider 'goth' music anyway? There's millions of different types of music I like.

-Izzy
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 10 2006, 06:47 PM)
Not nessicarily, from what I know, an 'emo' is a person who cuts themselves, and a lot of them do like 'goth' music.

No! Just... no! Cutting yourself is not a requirement for any social grouping I ever heard of, and it certainly shouldn't be.
Witless
Hum.. this got un-light hearted quickly..

Anyways yeah.. just thought I'd say that I agree that self harming is not a prequisuite for any social grouping. It's just another stereotype attached to a label.

My real personal opinion on this matter is that there's no such thing as a social group really. It's just a quick way to some up someone. For example:

"They have black nail varnish and they are upset about something... they must be emo"

"She has blonde hair, blue eyes, and a short skirt.. therefore bimbo"

In all honesty there's no way we can know anything about these people without actually talking to them seriously. But to get through our days we attach all kinds of generalisations to people.
I guess wanting to feel a part of something can also cause people to conform to a stereotype willingly.

But.. seriously.. making fun of a social group in good humour I think is a good laugh as long as you laugh with, and not at people too much. I have met self labelled 'emo' people laugh at their own stereotypes all the times.
But if anyone takes offence to that video I posted a few posts back.. I apologise muchly!
Smiler
No! Just... no! Cutting yourself is not a requirement for any social grouping I ever heard of, and it certainly shouldn't be.

Bravo, well said and rightly done that Fuzzy.

And Witless has got a point, most of us were taking this in jest. Most Matazonians I think would allow that there's little bit of goth in all of us [here]. Hell, Cath describes herself as a tired old goth who knows better and realises how stupid white out looks over acne. There's always fun to be had at stereotypes, everyone does it just so long as it remains fun, and bears no genuine ill will it probably fair to say no harm, no foul.
tv with legs
its all about the trends.
emo is dead because it was never alive.
really, what yall are describing is scene kid aka scenester.
emo was never a lifestyle in the firstplace.(if i said it was im sorry i just contridicted myself) tho there are lifestyles involving emo music.
emo cant be anyhtnig like my chemical romance because thats poppunk.
and i jsut forgot what i was going to say...
Novander
But emo is a concept, not some absolute. Surely if enough people are calling My Chemical Romance emo then that is what they are?
tv with legs
but its like calling an aligator a crocidile.
people get them mixed up.
like people mix up genres of music for the "emo" genre.
Phyllis
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Mar 13 2006, 01:46 AM)

No, it isn't. Alligators and crocodiles are animals. They are not defined by popular culture the way music is. They are defined by whatever the people are called who classify animals. Scientists. I'll just say scientists. That's a nice general term.

Anyway, my point is: it is popular opinion that defines music, whether you like it or not. Stop being such an emo crybaby about it tongue.gif (joking, joking!)
Astarael
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 13 2006, 05:27 AM)
QUOTE (tv with legs @ Mar 13 2006, 01:46 AM)

No, it isn't. Alligators and crocodiles are animals. They are not defined by popular culture the way music is. They are defined by whatever the people are called who classify animals. Scientists. I'll just say scientists. That's a nice general term.

Probably zoologists, and good point.
QUOTE (candice)
Anyway, my point is: it is popular opinion that defines music, whether you like it or not.  Stop being such an emo crybaby about it tongue.gif  (joking, joking!)

Pretty much. One style of music will acquire an unusual spin, so people look at what makes it different. If enough other musicians follow suit, that music is given a name in the Pop Culture Universe where the names just sort of seep into peoples' brains. Before you know it everyone is using the name, and suddenly a new style of music has been defined.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Musical genre is such an academic topic, you can argue that pretty much anything is something else, within reason of course. In my eyes My Chemical Romance are (from what I've heard) most definately NOT anything remotely connected to punk. Pop-Punk (woo, we're into sub-genres!) would be more along the lines of Green Day being that they have roots in both Punk and the Pop (Popular) music scene, though mostly of more interest to those in the Pop music scene seeing as Punk by definition tend to shun mainstream stuff. Just so you know where I stand, Punk proper stems from bands like Sex Pistols or more recently the Anti No-Where League. Emo seems to be a spin off from the Nu-Metal...thing, Lost Prophets and the like and seem to predominantly sing about unrequited love *tear*.

Like Cand said, the analogy with the aligator and crocodile is flawed what with there being fixed physical properties inherant to each which set them apart.
tv with legs
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 14 2006, 05:56 AM)
. Emo seems to be a spin off from the Nu-Metal...thing, Lost Prophets and the like and seem to predominantly sing about unrequited love *tear*.

Like Cand said, the analogy with the aligator and crocodile is flawed what with there being fixed physical properties inherant to each which set them apart.

lmao
hahaha laugh.gif emo comes from nu metal.

no, emo was derrived from punk or hardcore if im correct, somewhere in the late 80s.
nu metal, is....metal. wink.gif
monkey_called_narth
you know, the one thign ive realise in the past 4 years of attending 2-3 punk shows a week... the ones who are typicly posers... are the ones who seem to get all upset and lable people posers rolleyes.gif

and to stay on topic just a little bit more... i generally dont like music without any meaning to it. listening to a guy complain becasue there life is so hard just doesnt do it for me. our lives have a tendancy to be better then they seem. i confess that i did the whle woe is me thign and got very upset with my "pain" but lets face it... people have had it worse.

emo was a dirivited from punk the same as hardcore was. while hard core took the path of screaming by the means of pleading for somthing (much like emo). alot of hardcore got that wrong and thats where you get screamo(core). emo took the more melodic means and toned down. they made slower music which just like hardcore.... got confused and you get bublegum. which is teh aingst ridden music you hear today. emo is in alot of ways liek ska as well... it all comes in waves.

no ones truly a poser because everyone is equally diffrent, despite what many catch pharses say. the only problem is the "emo" kids are "bubblegum" kids, and most "hardcore" kids are in fact "screamo" kids.

i myself is what is more commonly called a "poli-punk" which is generally punk kids that listen to a variety of geners but have one thing in common, politics. that is to say... as long as something has a good sound, and good lyrics with meanign to them that affect a social concept father then " fuck you im a punk" or "i dont care im to aingst ridden" we generally like it. i like bands from pete seeger to antiflag to propighandi to step on it. (thats folk, bublegum (or atleast they are now considered so) punk, and hardcore)

and this is where the drunken ramble shall end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.