Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mata Meet - Liverpool 1st April 2006
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Pixelgoth
I am going to suggest a meet in Liverpool. After a quick discussion with Cath who lives near me I suggested that we should organise one and if only we turned up it'd be a nice quiet pint but everyone is welcome.

Just wanted to guage what people thought before arranging a date and time, place, etc. smile.gif
Wyvern
Sounds good to me.
For starters if I ask reeeally nicely and practice my puppy dog eyes Cath might be pursuaded to loan me a floorboard for the occasion.
Faerieryn
Liverpool sounds good. ALthough we have done quite a few meets up north. Any chace of a southern meet?
Mata
You're all very welcome back in Winchester. It's definitely southern and it's on a main line from nearly everywhere... Except apparently Liverpool, which requires four changes in a five and a half hour journey. That's not a 'no', it's just a 'that's not a very nice journey'.
mooooooooooopo
Ooh, the train journey (and fare) isn't as painful as it sounded at first. Does anyone have a rough idea date/time wise?

Caaaaaaaaath? Is there any chance I can join the attempted floorboard procurement? >_>
Mata
I would like to point out that McDonald's are currently advertising managers' jobs in the Google ads for this thread. I would like to encourage you all to click the advert to see the wonderful opportunities offered by this position, and to take money away from the massively unethical bastages.
Smiler
heehee

YOU GUYS ARE FREAKY WEIRD!! I was talking to my Dad on Sunday saying that I'd love it if we could have a meet in Liverpool so that I could double it up, and meet with him AND have a place to crash for a number of us. I said oh I'll go on and suggest it over the week and here ya go miond reading huh.gif blink.gif

I got 2 20 direct tickets just before Christmas when FaerieRyn and myself went up to see my Dad for a weekend and although I've not been able to get them that cheap again when looking a week or so back, they are there I'm sure.

We met with Cath up there as well and said then it wouldn't be to bad a meet point. There or Winchester down the other end would be great and ultimately, being greedy, both would be nice over time.

My vote can be swung although seerious thought must be entered soon for dates as well. Should we maybe say Easter ish? Easter is on the 16th April so say the weekend before? the 8/9 April? It gives us time and we may even get cheaper ticket prices to either then as well wink.gif
Smiler
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 31 2006, 12:33 PM)
I would like to point out that McDonald's are currently advertising managers' jobs in the Google ads for this thread. I would like to encourage you all to click the advert to see the wonderful opportunities offered by this position, and to take money away from the massively unethical bastages.

You've also got the WWF Dolphin Adoption one, I like dolphins, just not the evil ones wink.gif /SPAM
Mata
Aargh! Personal injury solicitors are advertising here now! Is this suddenly the thread of evil or something?

Winchester is nice during the summer, so perhaps then would be a better idea. There's not a lot to do, so warm weather means that it's nice to sit in the Cathedral grounds.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (moop @ Jan 31 2006, 02:39 AM)
Ooh, the train journey (and fare) isn't as painful as it sounded at first. Does anyone have a rough idea date/time wise?

Caaaaaaaaath? Is there any chance I can join the attempted floorboard procurement? >_>

Sorry sweetie my floor boards belong to my parents and mum gets all freak and paranoid about guests. She's really sane the rest of the time but as soon as guesyts come into the equasion she goes wierd and twitchy. sad.gif *Cath really needs to get a place of her own* and also I actually live about 10 miles from Liverpool so is actually a bit of a trek by public transport.
froggle-rock
LiverPool for Easter, and Winchester for Summer are my votes. I've no set plans for Easter, so the weekend of the 9th is good for me.

Are there campy places to camp at in Winchester?

*does Londoner things like navigate the London Underground sans tube map*
Mata
I'm sure that between the various Winchester people we can work something out.

This remains the thread of evil though: McDonald's and solicitor's adverts adorn it currently. Get clicking people and take minor fiscal revenge!
Pixelgoth
Mata, stop spamming my thread with references to ads wink.gif tongue.gif

This is a LIVERPOOL meet thread. Any references to Winchester will be moved to another thread tongue.gif

The weekend of 8/9th April is fine by me. I wasn't planning on stopping over as I live in Warrington so a train is fine for me. It's my 30th the following weekend so can't do that.

May I put this in the Matazone diary now? wink.gif
Cath Sparrow
Ye! Keep your thieving mits off our thread you scyming southener! tongue.gif
8/9th aprils good for me, I'll give Queenie a poke seeking as she's still having problems getting on to MZ.
Phyllis
You brats. My birthday is on the 10th, and you're going and having a meet without me RIGHT before my birthday. I should disown you all. tongue.gif

But I won't if you consider having the Winchester meet around oh say August when a certain American coughcoughmecoughcough is more likely to be over there.

</slightly spam>
Faerieryn
Woot!!!! I've got a full three weeks off work at that point in time!!! I'm in, I'm in!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!! One of the few times that being a teacher comes into its own!!!!
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (candice @ Feb 1 2006, 08:32 PM)
Consider having the Winchester meet around oh say August when a certain American coughcoughmecoughcough is more likely to be over there.

Works for me. That may be because I'm an extreme (or should that be XTreme?) pauper and Winchester is the one place I can afford to go. This may be due to living there... tongue.gif
Mata
The second Saturday in August is permanently booked for me due to the juggling convention, and we're not having a meet in Winchester if I'm not bloomin' well able to get to it! Other dates are currently fine though.
Pixelgoth
*rubs hands together like Mr Burns*

Eeeeexxxceelllent! evil.gif

Saturday 8th April it is. I won't be stopping over but will be able to get to Liverpool as early as need be as it's only 30 minute away. I'm thinking I might get Ed to pick me up so I am not bound by stupid last train times.

It's exactly a week before my 30th Candice so we can have party poppers and drinks for you too biggrin.gif

Winchester in August is good. We can suggest that nearer the time but for now this is a NORTHERN LIVERPOOL THREAD tongue.gif
Mata
Winchester is lovely in the August. Nice and warm, lots of pubs, a big cathedral. Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, lalalalala biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
I'm game if theres somewhere for me to stay. If there's someone out there with a bit o' floor space they don't mind me using. I'm not too big.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester!!!

Ummm - I don't live there anymore but I may be able to persuade family for floor space.

And my Mum is teh coolest!! biggrin.gif
Rykan
Teehee, I vote for Winchester too, what with living there and also being skinty skint skint.
{Gothic Angel}
I'd be interested in a Winchester meet in August. Particularly if it means I can pester... I mean, meet a certain american tongue.gif I also happen to very much like the place biggrin.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 2 2006, 04:05 PM)
Winchester is lovely in the August. Nice and warm, lots of pubs, a big cathedral. Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, Winchester, lalalalala biggrin.gif

Stop spamming the Liverpool thread people! Mata, you should know better! dry.gif You want a Winchester meet open your own thread. This is for people who want to meet in Liverpool on 8th April tongue.gif

Can anyone suggest a good pub? I particularly like the Walkabout Bar (they do YUMMY food smile.gif) but I can't say it's very central. I can always meet people at Liverpool station if they aren't sure where it is?
Mata
Sorry Sam! I didn't expect people to continue posting about Winchester!

Can anyone offer me a bit of floor to sleep on on April 8th please?
froggle-rock
Move the date for Liverpool please!

I just phoned up YHA Liverpool, and was informed by the bloke on the other end that the weekend of the 8th is fully booked because the Grand National is on as well as Liverpool playing a home game (he thinks against Arsenel). He advised me that the only rooms I'd likely get up in Liverpool full stop would be from canelations.

I've not had a look at other B&B prices yet, I hav to rush out now, but I can't afford more than about 25 a night, and if two big sports events are happening there, and the rooms will be as difficult to find as the bloke I spoke to said they will be, I won't be able to make it.

I'd like to meet you, Pixie (and the rest of you I've not. All you others tongue.gif), so please move the date to a cheaper time.

And, er *does Winchester dance*
Faerieryn
Any week over the easter break is fine by me. As long as its over those few weeks!!!
Mata
For us non-school types: when is the Easter break?
Faerieryn
April 1st to 19th

Although we dont't go bakc until the wednesday. Other schools may be different
artist.unknown
Hey! I'll be in Germany then! That's only one time zone away! In my narrow grasp of geography, that's practically next door!
Wyvern
Hopefully I can sweet talk the boss into holiday but both those meets are during our busiest times however if I give enough early warning.....
*schemes*
Calantyr
Meet meet meet meet!

I'm with Mhari. Liverpool looks tricky. It's going to be busy as hell and pricy to boot.

But Winchester? Yay! The place even has a posh name.
Cath Sparrow
Grand National is actually a very valid reason to move the meet I'm pretty easy on the date so I'll leave it to Pixie to surggest a new date. I know of a cool pub we can go and a really cool 50's style dinner we can go to for lunch (which Smiler and Ryn can vouch for). Pubs to be honest really aren't a problem in Liverpool there's hundreds of them.
Pixelgoth
Bottoms! sad.gif I can't do the weekend after as it's my 30th and I've got relatives coming up. Can anyone do the weekend before??? 1st? April Fools Day laugh.gif I've got a dental appointment but I can always move it to the week after as I won't know be in Liverpool laugh.gif

Other than that it's going to have to be 13th May onwards as I'm off to San Francisco on 22nd!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 6 2006, 09:06 PM)
Bottoms! sad.gif  I can't do the weekend after as it's my 30th and I've got relatives coming up.  Can anyone do the weekend before???  1st?  April Fools Day laugh.gif  I've got a dental appointment but I can always move it to the week after as I won't know be in Liverpool laugh.gif

Other than that it's going to have to be 13th May onwards as I'm off to San Francisco on 22nd!

Mata, I can offer you a sofa bed? smile.gif
Faerieryn
Any weekend up to the 19th is good for me!!! God I love being a teacher!!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Feb 6 2006, 10:24 PM)
Any weekend up to the 19th is good for me!!! God I love being a teacher!!

God I love being unemployed (as of 10th March) laugh.gif

We need a general consensus. Shall I make a poll?
froggle-rock
April 1st is good for me.
Mata
The 1st is good by me. And yes Sam, I'd love a sofa-bed for the night. Thanks!
Cath Sparrow
1st is fine by me!
Pixelgoth
OK. Should we pin this thread now then?

1st April in Liverpool.

I suggest that we meet at 1pm for lunch at the Walkabout bar. It's usually quiet...I think....I've only been on Sundays smile.gif

If anyone doesn't know where that is we can meet at Liverpool Lime Street Station at 12.30 beforehand?
Pixelgoth
As usual please fill out.....

Name: Pixiegoth
Name you'd like to be called: Sam
Stopping over and where: At home (Warrington)
Number so far: 1

If you are travelling by yourself (or not) and you want to let people know if you're running late then I think we should nomitate Mata as the general contact person (as he is the big boss! laugh.gif). Is it OK if anyone lets you know their mobile number or they have yours? If not, I'm happy to be the contact. Most of the country knows my number anyway as it's usually posted in Pagan magazines as a contact for the PF in Sheffield.....doesn't matter that I stopped doing that 2 years ago!! dry.gif

Have I forgotten anything?? unsure.gif
Mata
It's usually better to have a local-ish person as the contact because they know where they're going!

Thread pinned.
Cath Sparrow
*Waves hand* You can contact me I know where I'm going and quite a few people already have my mobile number.
Cant we go to Eddie Rockets for lunch it's has REALLY good food and milk shakes to die for and isn't a big chain company?

Name: Cath, Cathryn, any variants of.
Staying over: hopefully scrounging a floor patch at a friends or in other words general vacinity of Liverpool.
Number: 2

PM me or poke me or whatever if you want my number. I can be there pretty much anytime so let me know if anyone needs meeting.
froggle-rock
I'd like to swap phone numbers with someone. Well, not just any old one. A person who'll be there. I think I still got Cath's number. I just gotta find my phone >_>

Name: Froggie, Frogg, Frogita
Arriving: 1pm at Liverpool Coach Station on Saturday
Staying over: YHA Liverpool If anyone else books a place here, ask for Dave, and let him know you are a part of the Mata Forum. - coz he said he'd try and bung us all together.
Number so far: 3

/me rubs belly. If the milkshake is as good as the mash tatoes and sausages we had in Nottingham, I will be a very happy frog, Cath biggrin.gif /me rubs Cath's belly too
Pixelgoth
Oooo I'm all giddy now as a. this is my first pinned thread and b. this meet is official smile.gif

Eddie Rockets sounds good to me smile.gif

I suggest then that we meet somewhere in Liverpool station. I will go to Liverpool soon (EXCELLENT SHOPPING!) and scout out a good meeting spot and let you all know unless someone knows somewhere good already?

Speaking of excellent shopping there is a rather cool place called Quiggens round the back alleys and it's kinda like Oasis in Birmingham or Afflecks Palace in Manchester. It's just a large building with loads of little "alternative" shops. An excellent place for the tradition of "Matazone Meet Piercing" to continue wink.gif

Looks around for SPS dry.gif

AND it's my 2000th post cool.gif

*goes off to look for celebratory chocolate*
markslut
Is a No for me - too close to Whitby Weekend sad.gif
Cath Sparrow
Yup shown Ryn and Smiler the joys of Quiggens when they were up before xmas evil.gif (Cath is bad seeing as Ryn had just bought a leather coat). Lime Street Station (main station in Liverpool) is pretty straight forward for meeting up to be honest. As you come off the platforms there a open area with seating that usually the best for meeting up.
I have to phone numbers for you froggy biggrin.gif
froggle-rock
I think arrival times should be added, Pixie wink.gif

/me does teh happy dance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.