Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I remember when...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Mata
I feel old today. Currently I feel old because I can remember the days when it didn't really matter what a pop group looked like as long as they had a good singer and a good song.

What are you old enough to remember being different from today?
Usurper MrTeapot
Getting up early on Saturday to watch cartoons, from what I can gather its not a thing kids do anymore.
vicrawr
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 20 2006, 08:20 PM)
Getting up early on Saturday to watch cartoons, from what I can gather its not a thing kids do anymore.

Of course they don't! Cartoons these days are utter crap. Complete and utter crap. Long gone are the wondermous mornings of overly sugared breakfast cereals and kicking Foot with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or defending Earth against the Decepticons with Optimus Prime! (Nooo, not name-dropping at all.)
Fluffy
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 20 2006, 07:20 PM)

Though my years number few, I too, remember those days. Though I was too late for the Transformers and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I can see in the distant past, back to the days when I got up before noon on weekends, when, with my Lucky Charms before me, I would watch the Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and the X-Men with such great fervor. But alas! It is now but a misty memory, obscured by the slings of the present and the arrows of the bleak future, never to be experienced again! If only I could go back and relive those days once more!

Overdramatic? I haven't a clue what you mean. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I do miss those Saturday morning cartoons. Other than that, I guess I just wish I could read The Lord of the Rings for the first time, again. One of my other fondest childhood (well, younger childhood) memories is meeting Strider for the first time.

EDIT: Also, my first Dungeons and Dragons campaign and playing Mario and Zelda with friends can both be summed up in one word, and that word is "excellent."
Kitty
Not necissarially an overall thing.... But Prarie Home Companion on NPR while my dad cleaned house.... Then again, even if he does do it these days, its just annoying, not nostalgic.
LoLo
I remember Voltron and being angry when I was a teenager and the power rangers came out, ripping off the idea of Voltron.

I remember when I could go outside and play without my parents having to sit and watch to make sure nothing happened because there was a nice network of families on the block that all watched out for each other.

I remember when the cool new toys were stuffed animals that you could turn into a ball, now that was high tech.

I also remember walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school naked in blizzards all year long. Oh wait I'm making that one up.

I also remember when wearing clothes that were neon colors, or made you look like you were ready to go floating around in some water safely were the height of fashion. Oh yeah and mullets were sexy.
Phyllis
I remember wearing mismatched shoes and socks and a ponytail on the side of my head. And ridiculous clothing. All in an effort to look like my childhood hero...Punky Brewster.

I remember when the Olsen twins were babies on Full House.

I remember when Michael Jackson still vaguely resembled the way he had looked as a child.

I remember when Jim Carrey wasn't famous outside of being a cast member on In Living Color.

I remember when none of my friends had computers.

I remember when Reagan was President.

I remember Kids, Incorporated (unfortunately...)

Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now.
Misty Rain
I also remember walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school naked in blizzards all year long. Oh wait I'm making that one up.

Uphill both ways?

Do you live somewhere where the spacetime geometry is different from here?

Misty Rain
Misty Rain
Dick, Jock and Snowy. Intro was The Devil's Dance

Jet Morgan, Lemmy, and the weird Whittacker

Who were these people? Anybody old enough to remember? If not, ask your mum/dad.

I saw the Brabazon, that mighty white elephant, make it's first flight at Filton.
For years the worlds biggest airliner never sold. Bigger than a 747, it had 8 engines, total horsepower about equal to one jumbo jet engine so you could hear it about half an hour before it arrived.

I remember Winston Churchill being voted out of office after WW2.

I remember the first sliced bread.

Cars had no heaters. You just froze in winter

I remember the swimming pools being shut in summer because that was the polio season.

Cancer was an agonising death sentence - always.

Dentistry was a horror show.

I hated school. Teachers were still allowed to punch, kick, slap and drag you round the class room by your hair. They beat up kids of 10 with leather straps and bits of rubber hose. If any one ever talks to you about the good old days or begins a sentence with "In my day" kick them in the goolies for me please.

Even with global warming, terrorism and nuclear weapons now is better than then was.

Misty Rain - what me? bitter? Not really, this is a great time to be alive. Believe me. I've been then and I've been now and now is better.
Misty Rain
Oh there was another thing:-

At age about 12 (1952 ish) I remember a woman collapsing in the street outside my school. As she died on her back in a circle of gawpers who did nothing, there was nothing to be done in those days, her face turned black and purple.

In 1961 the RAF told me what to do in the case of electric shock. In 1965 the British Sub Aqua club taught me what to do when some one stops breathing. I and my neighbour recovered a 14 year old who had been electrocuted, purple face jobbie even.

I will always be grateful to the BSAC and even the RAF and myself for not sleeping through all of their safety lectures.

Especially as the victim was my son.

That's one you never forget.

Misty Rain
Mata
QUOTE (Misty Rain @ Feb 21 2006, 10:14 AM)

Ah, but what's the best thing since that? And was it really as good as all the fuss that's made about it?
Clatterpop
I remember The Double Deckers and going to the cinema every saturday morning for the Saturday Club, it was always a very rowdy affair. Ahh, happy days. smile.gif

I also remember when we thought Vesta curries were exotic. laugh.gif
Daria
I remember T-balls and those flying saucer shaped things you jump up and down on. I remember when skipping ropes were cool, and ra-ra skirts were fashionable. I remember when Lego bricks just came in squares, rectangles and perhaps doors and windows if you're lucky, and Tony Heart's Heartbeat with Morph.

I also remember when the war in Bosnia was going on and there were lots of fundraisers for blankets and emergency supplies.

There are millions of cartoons and childrens' tv programmes I could list as well, alot from the late eighties as I have older siblings so I was influenced by things a few years before my time.
The main thing though- when Mc Donald's toys were Mc Donald's characters (the Hamburgler, those big hairy things, Ronald Mc Donald). I still have a pink and black bum bag (fanny pack) from Mc Donalds...
monkey_called_narth
i remimber leraning thoughs stupid hand clappy games and all there songs, and i happily teach my littler cousins about miss suzy, her children, and her steam boat.

i remimber punk shows befor there were 14 year old idiot kids that were to in to the whole "punk aingst" to realise that the music that they are listening to has an actuall point to it.

i remimer when i was a 16 year old kid really into the "punk aingst" and we ate lunch at sonic on top of my van, also when we drove around carlinville and stole everyones yard balls... well... untill andi droped a cement block on his foot and screamed bloody murder... so we drove off as fast as we could.

i also remimber stealing: yard signes for god (GOD!), republicans signs, "elect so and so" signs, jesus signs (JESUS!), pro abortion signs (only one actually), anti abortion signs (several diffrent types), and finnaly the "support our troops" signs and stickers on cars.
garden gnomes, christmas decorations, flamingos, anyting silly that peopleplace in there yards.... it was one hell of a bon fire.
elphaba2
I remember being the first kid in my elementary school to watch Pokemon, back in the days before it was popular and was on at 5 AM on Tuesdays.

I remember being a wee little person and arguing with my bus driver about Clinton's presidency during the whole Monica Lewinsky thing, and then going home and reading my first article from the Times.

I remember being handed over the backyard fence between my neighbor's house and mine so we could play his N64.

I remember being slightly too old to enjoy Tamagachis, but loving pogs (why? they were just cardboard!) and Sonic the Hedgehog on TV. And Razor scooters! They were for the cool rich kids in my middle school and everyone wanted one, but they were $100.

I remember (this was maybe five or six years ago?) kids made appointments (by phone) to talk to each other on AOL and it took half an hour to sign on each time. "You'll be on at 7, right? Cool. Talk to you then."
Kitty
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 21 2006, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (Misty Rain @ Feb 21 2006, 10:14 AM)

Ah, but what's the best thing since that? And was it really as good as all the fuss that's made about it?

I'd rather slice my own bread, personally. Sometimes the pre-sliced stuff is too thin. I like a nice hunk of bread.

I remember having the first beanie baby and not knowing that it would be worth a hell of alot of money a year later if I didnt rip the tag off mad.gif
Daria
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:48 PM)
I remember (this was maybe five or six years ago?) kids made appointments (by phone) to talk to each other on AOL and it took half an hour to sign on each time. "You'll be on at 7, right? Cool. Talk to you then."

I remember that! Except it was with MSN messenger. I also remember when chat rooms were an "innocent" thing, and parents wouldn't freak out about them.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I remember when you get could 100 sweets for a pound.

I remember when you were allowed to take the original Star Wars toys out of the packaging and actually play with them *gasp*

I remember scooters being cool the FIRST time around. No, they didn't have little engines, all leg power baby!

I remember Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles pizza on sale in the supermarket. Chocolate and marshmellow anyone?

I drink a lot. That's about as much as my alcohol addled brain can recollect. smile.gif
Kitty
I remember the floppy floppies!
artist.unknown
I remember when Johnny Quest was still on TV. I also remember the original cast of Sesame Street.

I remember drive-in theatres. The kind where you sit in your car and tune the radio into the sound and camp out for two or three entire movies for a couple dollars. That's the proper way to watch a movie.
Phyllis
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 21 2006, 07:49 PM)
I also remember the original cast of Sesame Street.

I remember meeting Maria in person when I was about 4. happy.gif And I still know a bit of American Sign Language from that special Linda had...with Little Red Riding Hood and stuff.

I remember drive-in theatres. The kind where you sit in your car and tune the radio into the sound and camp out for two or three entire movies for a couple dollars. That's the proper way to watch a movie.

We still have one of those here...and it's rather popular. I have yet to see anyone making their car windows steamy at it yet, though.

I remember when no one had CDs.

I remember watching the verdict of the OJ Simpson trial live in 8th grade government class.

I remember when VCRs loaded from the top and had remotes that were on cords (I found our old one when I was cleaning out my closet a few weeks ago...hehehe).
Ashbless
I remember 8 tracks. I also remember the converter that let you play tapes on your 8 track player.

I remember drive in movie theatres.

I remember buying a new pocket book for less than $5.
PsychWardMike
I remember when it didn't burn to pee!
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 22 2006, 04:47 AM)
I remember the floppy floppies!

I remember when software came on cassette tapes.
Mata
I remember programming computers with punch cards!

No, actually I'm lying there, but I remember games on tapes too.
Ashbless
A friend of mine's Mom had a wringer washer. So I suppose I'm old enough to remember wringer washers and clotheslines.
PsychWardMike
I'm old enough to remember the first heated debates on the butt kickery of Sonic vs. the butt kickery of Mario. And, for that matter, when Sonic was an actual contender.
trunks_girl26
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 22 2006, 01:43 PM)
I'm old enough to remember the first heated debates on the butt kickery of Sonic vs. the butt kickery of Mario.  And, for that matter, when Sonic was an actual contender.

Good lord, I remember that too...

I remember when my friends and I used to have Mario 3 contests to see who could beat it the fastest.

We always seemed to tie at about two and a half hours....<.<
thatguy486
I remember when watching the power rangers was a day to day adventure, not a bad acid trip
Phyllis
QUOTE (thatguy486 @ Feb 22 2006, 02:00 PM)
I remember when watching the power rangers was a day to day adventure, not a bad acid trip

I remember when that retarculous show didn't exist wink.gif
thatguy486
*sniff* I was five i didnt know any better. *runs away*

lol
LoLo
QUOTE (thatguy486 @ Feb 22 2006, 02:00 PM)

I think I said this already, but I remember Voltron the cartoon, which the power rangers blatently ripped off, only leaving out the cool little mice.
EvilSpork
David the Gnome was one of the best cartoons to wake up for on Saturdays.

Lo, I used to have a Voltron belt! biggrin.gif If I could find it I would still wear it, as long as it still fit.
Righteous
I remember how revolutionary Super Mario Bros. 3 was. I also remember Spending hours playing Tetris on Gameboy and when I got a Sega Genesis. I can also recall the time when grunge was it and when VHS wasn't obsolete and my biggest care in the world was getting comic books. There was also a time when a rental at the Buster cost $3 and gas was under a dollar per gallon.

The best was when I used to watch Fraggle Rock approx. 18 years ago. What made me feel old was when my little sister started renting Fraggle Rock tapes and eventually got the first season on DVD.
Kitty
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Feb 22 2006, 10:28 PM)

Totally! And Eureka's Castle!
voices_in_my_head
I remember-

seeing the first Men in Black movie at a drive-in theater.

Nearly peeing on myself in excitement when my sister got an N64.

Dancing like crazy to the Backstreet Boys. (I admit it!)

Getting a Tamagachi pet in my christmas stocking, along with a beanie baby.
Ashbless
QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 22 2006, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Feb 22 2006, 10:28 PM)

Totally! And Eureka's Castle!

The amazing adventures of Ed Grimley
(Based on a Saturday Night Live character developed by Martin Short don'tchaknow)
laugh.gif and Star Trek the cartoon.
PsychWardMike
I remember Goosebumps, bitch.
Righteous
I remember "Are You Afraid of the Dark" and Ren and Stimpy, bitch.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 22 2006, 03:49 AM)
I remember when Johnny Quest was still on TV.

Ahh, Johnny. You caused my sister and I many a heartfelt sigh of longing. tongue.gif
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
QUOTE (Righteous @ Feb 23 2006, 02:21 PM)

"Are you afraid of the dark" scared me sad.gif

I remember... these weird little things that you turned inside out and then they un-inside-out-ed themselves and jumped up in the air.. dunno what they're called but I used to have loads of them.. unsure.gif

Also: those little sticky things you got free with your cereal that were supposed to do little flips as they fell down the wall but always fell off .. I dunno if they still have them but there was an advert for fanta/tango that had a guy doing the same thing recently..

Pogs were awesome. I bought some once, lost them all, then borrowed some off my friend, pwned him, got all his pogs and went on to take over the world... unsure.gif
Kitty
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2006, 10:13 AM)

I remember Goosebumps, bitch.

QUOTE (Righteous @ Feb 23 2006, 10:21 AM)

I remember BOTH, bitches

QUOTE (crazymat @ Feb 23 2006, 02:37 PM)
I remember... these weird little things that you turned inside out and then they un-inside-out-ed themselves and jumped up in the air.. dunno what they're called but I used to have loads of them..  unsure.gif

I keep trying to find them, but I dont know what they're called either, so it doesnt turn out too well.
I_am_the_best
I remember those little plastic monsters which everyone was obsessed with. Can't remember the name of them for the life of me though.
thatguy486
Oh man i remember staying at my friends house, and playing with the creepy crawler machine.
voices_in_my_head
I remember playing Yoshi for hours (if we could get away with it)

I remember both Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark? (I used to be scared to death by Are You Afraid of the Dark when I was little)

I also remember watching All That on Nicklodian.
PsychWardMike
Hell, I remember both!

I also remember Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Doug, Clarissa Explains it All, You Can't do That On Television, The Secret World of Alex Mack, The Roundhouse, Welcome Freshmen, and The Tomorrow Children.*

And when All That! and The Rugrats were funny.

*If Anyone remembers these two shows, please inform me immdediately.
Mata
QUOTE (crazymat @ Feb 23 2006, 02:37 PM)
I remember... these weird little things that you turned inside out and then they un-inside-out-ed themselves and jumped up in the air.. dunno what they're called but I used to have loads of them..  unsure.gif
I keep trying to find them, but I dont know what they're called either, so it doesnt turn out too well.

They were called 'hopper popper's when I was a kid. Jonman and his lady Kisah bought me some recently so they know a modern source. I think they got them in America too.

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2006, 11:45 PM)
Welcome Freshmen, and The Tomorrow Children.*

*If Anyone remembers these two shows, please inform me immdediately.

I don't know the first one, but I remember the 'new' series of a program called The Tommorow People. I presume it's the same one. It was based on the 1970s original, which is now available on DVD. The remake was done in the 1990s and had the bloke who played Todd in Neightbours in it, Christian Something-or-other. I loved pretty much any live-action sci-fi series made for kids.

While we're on the subject, I also loved the kids sci-fi Dark Season, which was the first series written by the guy who now writes Doctor Who.
artist.unknown
QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 21 2006, 05:20 AM)
Not necissarially an overall thing.... But Prarie Home Companion on NPR while my dad cleaned house.... Then again, even if he does do it these days, its just annoying, not nostalgic.

I went to one of the live shows over the summer. I remember when my family used to listen to his News from Lake Woebegone cassettes on car rides...back, of course, when cars still had cassette players.

I remember good 'ol Mister Rogers.

I remember when we still had classes on the Dewey Decimal System. And when you took out a book from the library, it was stamped and you could see the names everyone else who ever read it and when.
PsychWardMike
Yeah, I think that's it. I could have sworn it was the Tomorrow Children, but that's okay. It was an odd show, and freaking a! I love Hopper Poppers! Yes! Yes! Dear God, yes!

I remember Animorphs.
elphaba2
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Feb 23 2006, 04:40 PM)
I remember those little plastic monsters which everyone was obsessed with. Can't remember the name of them for the life of me though.

Did one stick a pencil down its throat? If so, I remember those well. I used to make them little outfits in which to court my Polly Pockets. Which I also remember, having eaten one by mistake at age 3.

I remember when Czechoslovakia was still Czechoslovakia and not the Czech Rebublic, and was also a sort of punchline. "What do you think I am, Czechoslovakia?"

I remember roller blades. Kids don't roller blade anymore. I had a lime green pair of "Mach 3"s that were incredibly cool.

edit:
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2006, 10:12 PM)
I remember Animorphs.

Oh man I loved those. "My name is Rachel, and I can turn into a bear."

Can we officially dub this the Crazed Nostalgia Thread?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.