Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I remember when...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Radaga
I remember when.... (going bacwards)

Before: 1995
No Internet
Staying at the beach all day, no worries about being connected
No DVD
PC XT's were IT
Before 1990
Good music smile.gif
No CD's
MSX's with 5 1/4 floppy's were IT
no Floppies, just games on tape
Before 1985
No microwaves
no VHS
Before 1980
Playing soccer on the middle of the street, literally for all day, stopping only once or twice to let cars pass by
my ATARI video-game

now I feel OLD!
PsychWardMike
I rmember the tragic day that the Sega Genesis was declared a dead system.
LoLo
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 28 2006, 06:05 PM)
I rmember the tragic day that the Sega Genesis was declared a dead system.

I remember when the Sega Genesis was first released.
PsychWardMike
I remember that, too (or at least the very early days of it...)

I remember when Arcades were cool.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
I remember when there was a spoon. (Matrix reference)

I remember when there was justice for boaters in Florida.
Righteous
I remember seeing Clerks on VHS when I was in the sixth grade.

I also remember being able to detect an indie flick from a mile away before I knew what an indie flick was.

I remember when the following bands didn't suck: Sugar Ray, the Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, and more.

I remember when the Comicbook Code and CCA approval meant something.
PsychWardMike
Typo, Ri. I believe you misspelled "Limp Bizkit ALWAYS sucked." tongue.gif

Anyway... I'm so old, I remember when Lincoln was shot.

Boo yeah.
monkey_called_narth
i remember when bandanas where the shiznit.

i remember when i was pro life and christian.

i remimber when i started smoking and then giggling at the "dont smoke" comercials

i remimber going to a spice girls concert and being hot sh*t for a month

i remember when "edwardsville"was really "beaver dam state park"

i remimber getting drunk the first time and walking into the same wall 5 times when trying to get to the bathroom.
Phyllis
JELLIES!

I remember jellies. Oh, they were so cool. They made my feet sweat and gave me blisters, but...so awesome! I loved them.
Daria
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 2 2006, 04:56 AM)
JELLIES!

I remember jellies.  Oh, they were so cool.  They made my feet sweat and gave me blisters, but...so awesome!  I loved them.

I had a pair of green sparkly ones, and a pair of normal blue ones.

They were the coolest, along with my stirrup leggings.
LoLo
I remember when the only way I knew of a cell phone was because Zack from saved by the bell had this big honkin' one that he used to call for pizza from class and all I could think was, "Wow he's rich."

I remember when people actually thought that by now we would all be in flying cars and wearing tin foil type outfits.

I remember when mullets were originally cool.

I remember when girls used to tie their shirts on one side of the lower part of the shirt, and even became so popular that things were made to thread your shirt through something to give it the same look.

I remember when my parents got divorced and it was shocking, because even though it was growing in popularity, it wasn't something that happened a lot. A year or two later it was a different story.
Righteous
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 2 2006, 09:34 AM)
I remember when the only way I knew of a cell phone was because Zack from saved by the bell had this big honkin' one that he used to call for pizza from class and all I could think was, "Wow he's rich."

My pop had something similar. It was this gnarly big car phone that he had in his truck for his business. It was on the cutting edge. He also had a cutting edge pager. I thought they were rad.
I remember when mullets were originally cool.

You mean they aren't still cool?
I remember when girls used to tie their shirts on one side of the lower part of the shirt, and even became so popular that things were made to thread your shirt through something to give it the same look.

My older sister did that. She used to think it was so awesome. Even then, I thought it was stupid looking, along with how girls would pull the bottoms of their shirts through the neck hole to give kind of a bra top type look.
Usurper MrTeapot
I remember the phrase "Does this skirt go with these trousers?" Man that was a wacky time.
Rykan
I remember putting 5 1/4 floppys into that drive you had to turn a knob on the front of, lmao.
I also remember when getting our Windoze 3.1 was a source of great excitement!
Daria
I remember when I didn't need corrective lenses for my stupid lampy* eyes.

*See rants thread.
froggle-rock
I remember when traveling across London on public transport was an adventure. And would involve staying up late and snack food.

I remember when I used to throw birthday parties for my pets and have all my teddies and barbies attend.

I remeber not really being aware that I am mixed race.

I remember playing a Turtle game on the NES. I rmember how much cooler the SNES looked when it came out, with it's rounded edges. I remeber being inpressed with the differant Yoshi's in Super Mario Bros. for the SNES.

I remeber when I realised that my mum wasn't Super Woman, just human.

I remember when L.A Gear trainers with flashing lights were all the rage and shell suits were the nangest (coolest) clothing items (thank you mum for no investing in one for me).

I remember when I didn't think of bras and tampons as things to concern myself with.

I remember when I didn't have spots.

I remember not being at all bothered by the sigh of my dead grandfather, as he lay in his coffin at the funeral parlour before the funeral service.

I remember when Nelson Mandela was sent to prison and not eating any South African produce.

I remember when Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher took away free milk for primary school kids.

I remember when I used to make little people and villages out of beads and wires my mum and aunt used to make jewellry from.

I remember when Toy Story came out, because I went to the cinema and watched it with family and friends. It was the shizzle. I remeber when my aunt bought my cousin a Buzz Lightyear doll and he, his sister and I being disapointed that it just couldn't fly.

I remember paying 1.20 for a cinema ticket.

I remember the first time I hit someone.

I remeber when I had a mobile phone before they became common for teens. It was a Nokia Banna phone.

I remember my nanna paying 25p bus fare for me.

I remember making my first clay hedghog, and being really proud.

I remember hating my tap teacher, because nothing I did was ever good enough for her.

I remember holding my sister literally minutes after she was born and being in total awe.

I remember feeling invincible.

I remember when I used to moan to my mum that it was unfair that we couldn't eat in McDonalds like all the other kids I knew.

I remember when I started my period.

I remember when TakeThat broke up.

I remember my first day at work: being instructed on how to wear a wig. It was a paleish tourquise with tourquise tinsel running through it. I never wore that one again, I came to favour a royal blue bobed one.

I remember realising that I'm just as truly differant and individual as everyone else.

I remember believing in wishes, and magic.

I remember my dad.
Rykan
I remember when Olay was oil of Ulay!
Righteous
I remeber not really being aware that I am mixed race.

Y'know, when I read that, I thought to myself, "...Oh, yeah. She is, isn't she?" I had a similar experience when I was fifteen and I came to realize how much Asian blood I have when people kept thinking I was Hispanic.

I remember how freaked out I was when I moved to rural Florida from metropolitain Pennsylvania.

I remember getting paid cash under the table when I was thirteen for cutting wood on a mider saw for five an hour. Three years later, I got my first raise.

I remember my first kiss. I was fifteen; she was sixteen.

I remember hearing Mushroomhead for the first time.

I remember when my little sister was born. I beheld her blue eyes, red hair and fair skin and said to my mother, "Told you!"

I remember bitching her out several months before for having the gall to want to name her Angelica Gabrielle. My primary arguement was that God didn't want that to be her name and if He did, the angel in my dream wouldn't have said that her name would be Gabrielle.

I recall vividly my brother getting pissed because I got to "pick" her first name, so my mom let him choose her middle name, which was how she got her name, Gabrielle Alexandra Douglas.

I remember being homeschooled for an entire year. I did jack and learned a buttload.

I remember when Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins broke up.

I remember when almost everything was in walking distance.

I remember when I wore glasses, had a hideous haircut, gnarly acne, no social skills and a weird shuffle and was really effing fat.

I remember when I was thin, had long hair and no tattoos, was (relatively) popular and could drive.

I remember smoking pot for the first time when I was eighteen. I remember getting drunk for the first time ten years before.

I remember being really happy until I was about seven.

I remember when I was diagnosed as bipolar. For some reason, I cried.

I remember being infinately brave and adventurous and then soon after being a complete wuss.

I remember trying to scream when I was fifteen and almost destroying my voice box on "My Plague."

I remember nu-metal being a blessing.

I remember when my brother and I would play Comix Zone, Street Fighter and Beavis and Butthead: The Game for hours on end in our first room in Pennsylvania (we shared two in twelve years) sweating our prepubescent balls off because we had no AC and the window stuck.

I remember when my brother noticed that I walk properly: upright without slouching, shoulders back, head up with even, heel-to-toe strides, no longer doing the "James shuffle." This was a few months ago.

I remember when my knees and back didn't hurt. My last memory of that was when I was fifteen.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Rykan @ Mar 5 2006, 10:16 AM)
I remember when Olay was oil of Ulay!

Weird. It's always been Oil of Olay here.

I remember my first real train ride (ie: not the one that goes around the zoo). Of course, it was only just this past summer...so...hehe

I remember Lady Lovely Locks and the Pixie Tails. And wearing the silly pixie tails in my hair.

I remember when I found out what sex was, and wondered why on earth anyone would ever want to do that!

I remember when I thought I would be so different from other adults when I grew up, because I'd make sure to remember what it was like to be a kid/teenager.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 6 2006, 08:47 AM)
I remember when I thought I would be so different from other adults when I grew up, because I'd make sure to remember what it was like to be a kid/teenager.

Word.
LoLo
I remember having candy cigarrettes.

I remember when the best high came from eating a bag of pixie sticks. (I don't think that really has changed much)

I remember getting in trouble for putting candy in my pockets. I wasn't going to take them without paying, I just was getting more than my hands could handle. I was so mad at the clerk for making me take it out of my pockets and thinking that I of all people, was a thief.
spiffilicious05
I remember when I was little and tv used to be so different. Full House, Fresh Prince of Bell Air, My Little Pony, Care Bears.....

oh and the commercials -- like mounds and almond joy.....

yes....I remember wierd things like that...

oh and when sky dancers were big -- these doll toys that would fly up into the air when you pulled a string....
Kitty
I remember when my mum knew more about computers than I did.

I also remember when I felt strange about the way my thought proccesses work, even though I was itty bitty and shouldnt think that I think weird.
PsychWardMike
I remember when I thought that sex, drugs, alcohol, and rock and roll were evil. And that I'd never do them.

Heh.
Righteous
I remember when I used to be Straight Edge.

I remember when "West Coast" meant San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles instead of Pensacola, Tallahassee and Tampa. Go Florida!
Phyllis
I remember when I didn't have to explain to people in my own country that my state was "the one right above California." Of course, I hadn't been out of my state much at that point.

I remember when I thought I would die a virgin.

I remember when I realized that I did in fact remember what it was like to be a kid/teenager. It's really depressing to find out that all those grownups were basically right.

I remember when I was new in IRC rather than the channel owner. blink.gif How that one happened, I'll still never know.

I remember being in first grade, hearing how many years of school I had left, and thinking the end would never come.
Righteous
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 6 2006, 11:47 PM)
I remember being in first grade, hearing how many years of school I had left, and thinking the end would never come.

Ah, yes. I remember when my mother told me my graduation year when I was little and it seemed like an eternity.
Daria
I remember when I was 2 and a half, had cut open the back of my head on a small plastic boast after falling off the bed, being in hospital and being handed a toy gorilla by my dad.

I remember starting high-school and feeling grown up.
I remember finishing high-school and feeling grown up.

I remember wearing DMs to primary school.
thatguy486
I remember the simple days in kindergarten when you didnt have to wear certain clothes or won certain things to be accepted and were a friend based on your personal merrit.

i miss those simple times sad.gif
little_bear
I remember my mother, pre-menopause.
thatguy486
The only requirement for driving was making sure the battery on your power wheel was charged.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
i remember when I could craw under my bed and hide...

*hides behind that chair*
Izzy
I remember liking to actually be sick and stay home from school. Now-a-days, nothing good is on until about 5 p.m., so you're stuck watching, what's it called...Playhouse Disney,I mean those shows are just polluting the minds of 3 yr olds!

Also, I remember loving my mom, and never wanting to move out. Now, I hate my mothers slimey guts, and I can't wait to leave this hell hole!

-Izzy
Phyllis
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 10 2006, 11:31 AM)
Also, I remember loving my mom, and never wanting to move out. Now, I hate my mothers slimey guts, and I can't wait to leave this hell hole!

I remember thinking that. I also remember the point when I realized she wasn't a bad person and I had just been a very hormonal, angsty teen.

I remember the year devil's daughter was born very clearly. I am technically old enough to be her mother. In fact, I'm more than twice her age.

This frightens me and makes me feel horribly old.
oxym0ronical
I remember thinking Punky Brewster was just the coolest girl ever, the Smurfs would always be my favorite, and Alf would be the perfect 'sibling'.

I remember getting up early on Saturdays to watch cartoons - none of which are on the air anymore!

I remember going to see Cool Runnings at the theater on Christmas night, when I was 12.

I remember when my nephews used to be little bullies and run over our heads with a vacuum cleaner when we slept in the living room (now they're big bullies wink.gif).

I remember playing Oregon Trail at school as part of a class assignment.

I remember the first time I met Lolo in a chat room, 10 years ago this year.
thatguy486
i remember watching gundam every weekday at 5 and getting super into it, then running aroud my back yard acting it out.
Izzy
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 11 2006, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 10 2006, 11:31 AM)

I remember thinking that. I also remember the point when I realized she wasn't a bad person and I had just been a very hormonal, angsty teen.

I remember the year devil's daughter was born very clearly. I am technically old enough to be her mother. In fact, I'm more than twice her age.

This frightens me and makes me feel horribly old.

Actually, your 10 yrs younger than my mom, so your not old. You're like what 24? That's a good age to be(I think, considering I'm not even close to being 24 I wouldn't know tongue.gif ). So what do you remember clearly about the year I was born?I'm curious
Izzy
I remember playing Oregon Trail at school as part of a class assignment.

Oregon Trail is that computer game right? I had to play it twice for school, and I hate that game. Both times my person died first! mad.gif
That stupid game cheats!

-Izzy
Erin
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 20 2006, 05:03 PM)
I feel old today. Currently I feel old because I can remember the days when it didn't really matter what a pop group looked like as long as they had a good singer and a good song.

What are you old enough to remember being different from today?

ummm..nothing much is diffrent now being as im not yet an adult even. but now everyone watches anime. and it scares me. even tho i love anime..
Phyllis
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 07:58 AM)
Actually, your 10 yrs younger than my mom, so your not old. You're like what 24? That's a good age to be(I think, considering I'm not even close to being 24 I wouldn't know tongue.gif ). So what do you remember clearly about the year I was born?I'm curious

I'll be 24 next month. And I know I'm not old. I'm quite young, really. I like the age I am now, actually.

1994...let's see. I'd have been in 6th/7th grade.

Everyone wore jeans that were abnormal colors. Most often purple or green.

Girls still curled their bangs so it looked like a huge balloon strapped to the front of their head at that time. And some did them the way Lo described earlier as well.

The Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were popular. So were Beavis and Butthead.

I did not know anyone, much less a kid, who owned a cell phone.

I am pretty sure that was the year one of my classmates started babbling about having AOL. He was pretty proud of himself for that one.

That was I went away from my parents for more than two days for the first time ever (I went to outdoor school for a week).

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Izzy
lol

I'm kinda happy I was a baby at that time, it all seems so funny, but scary. And a kid bragging that he had AOL?just...LOL..And the thing with the hair an the jeans...
I'm cracking up to hard to say anything else...ROFLMAO

-Izzy
Phyllis
I'm sure future generations will say the same things about today's trends.
Izzy
You're probally right, let's just hope they don't go back to the trends from the 60's and stuff..We had a 70's day at school 3 weeks ago, and everyone started laughing at each other. It was really funny til we saw what the teachers were wearing, and then it was just a little scary..My homeroom teacher came to school with a purple wig on... tongue.gif

-Izzy
LoLo
In 1994 I was a sophmore in highschool. Wow.

I remember when they still put toy surprises in cereal boxes and you didn't have to send away for them unless it was something super cool like a plastic watch.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 14 2006, 05:55 PM)
I remember when they still put toy surprises in cereal boxes and you didn't have to send away for them unless it was something super cool like a plastic watch.

I remember when they had plastic digital watches as prizes.
Phyllis
QUOTE (SPEAKERfortheLOST @ Mar 14 2006, 03:13 PM)

I am pretty sure that's what she was talking about anyway.
Usurper MrTeapot
I remember when we used to sing. Sha la la la la la la la la, lar di dar.
Rykan
I remember when the Power Rangers were cool... or at least, to my young, impressionable mind laugh.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 15 2006, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (SPEAKERfortheLOST @ Mar 14 2006, 03:13 PM)

I am pretty sure that's what she was talking about anyway.

Yeah I was Cand, and obviously a person who is 10 years younger than me would remember more than me. wink.gif biggrin.gif
damaged_roses
I remember when tapes WERE the cds, and gameboy colours were THE status symbol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.