Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I remember when...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Daria
I remember when I was unaware of anything to do with Text Speak. Whether I just wasn't cool enough, or if it wasn't really about, I do not know.
FeralPolyglot
I remember when Cassette Tapes and VHS were IT.
I remember a time when one person on our block (if that) owned a cellular phone.
I remember waking up on Saturday Mornings just to watch ABC's One Saturday Morning. (I don't know if that still is running.)
I remember when Snick had it's original line up.
I remember when Nickelodeon ran shows like Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, Roundhouse, Clarissa Explains It All, Pete and Pete, and The Secret World of Alex Mack.
I remember thinking that the kids from those shows were the "big kids."
I remember when Power Rangers were the thing to watch. (The blue one was my favorite.)
I remember when the biggest thing I had to worry about for the day was catching the school bus on time and whether to get chocolate or regular milk with lunch.

I don't remember when all these things changed. (Durh, because it was a gradual change, sure.) It's just interesting to note how much has changed and how today's youth has no clue of how it was a mere 10-15 years ago.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
I remember when life was sweet and good.

I remember when I actually like to be near my mother.

I remember when my head didn't spin at the thought of doing science and math homework. and when they were different than each other!
Rykan
QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ Mar 17 2006, 10:41 PM)
I remember when Nickelodeon ran shows like Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, Roundhouse, Clarissa Explains It All, Pete and Pete, and The Secret World of Alex Mack.

THAT was it! I've been trying to remember what the name of that programme with the kid who turns into green goo is for AGES.
Thankyou so much!
(The kid who played Alex was in Malcolm in the Middle recently... boy that was weird tongue.gif )
LoLo
I remember watching Alanis Morriset on You Can't Do That On Television, before she was a pop star.
Righteous
I remember when Jewel did mellow acoustic love songs and it was good.

I remember when MTV played music videos.

I remember when you could show people smoking on kids' shows.
Phyllis
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 18 2006, 07:19 AM)
I remember watching Alanis Morriset on You Can't Do That On Television, before she was a pop star.

Me too!

I remember when Nickelodeon was all about sliming people. They don't seem to do that much anymore.

I remember having a crush on the younger Pete.

damaged roses, you can't possibly remember when cassette tapes were widely in place of CDs, I'm sorry. I got my first CD player a year after you were born, and I was the last one of my friends to do so.
LoLo
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2006, 09:07 AM)
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 18 2006, 07:19 AM)

I remember having a crush on the younger Pete.

I had a crush on the older Pete.

I remember when Pearl Jam made music videos that played on MTV.
Kitty
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2006, 01:07 PM)
damaged roses, you can't possibly remember when cassette tapes were widely in place of CDs, I'm sorry.  I got my first CD player a year after you were born, and I was the last one of my friends to do so.

I was born way after damaged roses and I remember walking around with my tape player. Maybe there were CD players, but I definatley didnt have one and had plenty of tapes to be listening to. My walkman was new, too tongue.gif
Witless
I remember when robot wars started on UK tv and I had a crush on Phillipa Forestor...
Phyllis
QUOTE (Kitty @ Mar 19 2006, 08:46 AM)
I was born way after damaged roses and I remember walking around with my tape player. Maybe there were CD players, but I definatley didnt have one and had plenty of tapes to be listening to. My walkman was new, too tongue.gif

Pssst Kitty...you were born 4 (almost 5) years before her. tongue.gif A lot of people still had them years after CDs became more popular than tapes...mainly because of portability issues. I definitely remember CDs being more commonplace around the time I got my CD player.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2006, 05:07 PM)
damaged roses, you can't possibly remember when cassette tapes were widely in place of CDs, I'm sorry.  I got my first CD player a year after you were born, and I was the last one of my friends to do so.

You got a CD player when you were 2?

Edit:

Cand:

Devils Daughter - b. 1994.
Damaged Roses - b. 1983.
gothictheysay
I remember cassettes were still around, yeah, and maybe it's because I got into music late... but CDs were much more widely circulated as far as I can remember. *shrug*

(Furthermore, I count myself too young to actually post in this thread... >_<)
Phyllis
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Mar 19 2006, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 18 2006, 05:07 PM)

You got a CD player when you were 2?

Edit:

Cand:

Devils Daughter - b. 1994.
Damaged Roses - b. 1983.

OH.

Okay. That makes so much more sense. I got damaged roses and devil's daughter mixed up in my head. :x

Kitty is indeed much younger than damaged roses...lalala. And damaged roses was obviously around when tapes were a big thing. Don't mind me. unsure.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
I saw nothing, nope, not me.

I remember when I was told bed time stories. (Only one I can think of right now...)
LoLo
I remember when the commercial with the old lady that falls and says, "I've fallen and I can't get up!" first came out, and the years that followed with that still being a funny joke.
Kitty
I said this yesterday without even thinking of this thread.... and right after I thought "Wow I need to post this!"

I remember when Hot Topic wasnt trendy x.x
Daria
I remember when anyone saying "if you like" would then get a chorus of "alot of chocolate on your biscuit, join our club" sung back to them.

Oh the wonders of advertising.
Izzy
QUOTE (Kitty @ Mar 20 2006, 03:42 PM)
I remember when Hot Topic wasnt trendy x.x

I remember my first trip to Hot Topic! It was Halloween..uhm lemme think..3 yrs ago! (Loved all the masks I saw, but was terrified of the people who worked there tongue.gif )

I remember my first purchase in Hot Topic.

I remember seeing this really preppy girl from my school in Hot Topic about two months ago going "Mom, can we go to Hollister now? This place gives me the creeps". I was laughing so hard after that, becuase when my mom is in the mall with me looking at stuff in Hollister, I'll say the same thing about wanting to go to Hot Topic. laugh.gif
Izzy
QUOTE (Righteous @ Mar 18 2006, 12:04 PM)
I remember when MTV played music videos.

They still do, but it's in the mornings.
I remember MTV showing good music videos.
Righteous
Yes, now they're playing A7X's "Bat Country" and that crappy Fall Out Boy video.

I remember having original copies of Green Day's 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk albums.
Kitty
I remember when there was new good music.

Edit: Rephrase. I remember when there was new good music on the radio/tv.
Daria
QUOTE (Kitty @ Apr 9 2006, 03:19 AM)

You're watching/ listening to the wrong channels tongue.gif

I remember when this thread was made. Ah, the memories.
Felander
QUOTE (Kitty @ Apr 9 2006, 03:19 AM)

There still is.

Y'know, subjectivity n' all that.

I remember when the Power Rangers first came out, and kids would run around the yard karate kicking each other. Ahh, good times.
michael1384
I remember when my friend had a black and white TV with a picture of an atom on it. (I'm sure he will step in at any moment and say that was one month ago...)
Izzy
I remember in Kindergarten, how I hated nap time. Now I wouldn't mind it everyone once in a while. tongue.gif
pgrmdave
I remember installing SimCity 2000 on my computer, and it took up nearly the entire harddrive. Oh, and you didn't access it via Windows, no, you used the good old DOS command prompt. I remember when Bush was president and we were in a war in Iraq. The first time.
Kitty
I remember Lemmings. Its still around now on the internet, but I remember when it was on the BIG floppies (I still have a copy)
bryden42
QUOTE (Kitty @ Apr 10 2006, 03:54 AM)
I remember Lemmings. Its still around now on the internet, but I remember when it was on the BIG floppies (I still have a copy)

I remember the line from the instruction manual that read something like.

"lemmings are controlled by the mouse, The mouse is much like your lemmings but with more buttons."
El Nino
I remember when one gig was more than enough hard disk space.
Izzy
I remember when I thought everyone was everyone's friend. Well, unless you were that kid that still ate their boogers in first grade. tongue.gif
El Nino
I remember fathers being able to beat the crap out of their kids and the kids not being able to do anything about it because of a lack of information available publically. Also coming downstairs one morning, finding the phone hanging off the wall and feeling sorry for my mother.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I remember remembering something to post here, but I forgot it sad.gif

I remember being able to wake up at 4am blink.gif
WeeJ
I can remember when wagon wheels where actually wagon wheel sized. Curly Whirleys have shrunk too.
Cadbury cream eggs have changed shape entirely as well. Now, this may seem a bit odd as they're eggs, but have a look next time you're in a shop...they're really pointy these days!
Izzy
I remember being addicted to Runescape.
I remember the first time I got called to the principle's office. Oh the horror!
I remember when school buses didn't have seat belts. I don't see why the have seat belts, no one ever uses them.
I remember all the teachers I've ever had.
I remember my first trip to Disney World. "Where'd Mickey Mouse go?!?!"
I remember my dad. Wait... no I don't.
Primate
I remember being able to relax without feeling guilty.
michael1384
I remember when the internet was only for buisinesses.
Mata
QUOTE (michael1384 @ May 14 2006, 10:15 AM) *
I remember when the internet was only for buisinesses.

I remember when the internet mostly wasn't businesses! Ah, the old days of the internet, when the whole place seemed like a big techie commune. Damn, I wish I'd staked a bigger spot back then!
Calantyr
I remember the first time I played Quake 1. I think I sex-weed a little when I loaded up the Slipgate Complex.

Graphics, amazing. Sound, fantastic. Lava, hot.
Daria
I remember a science lesson at primary school, and actually being confused as to whether granulated sugar was a solid or a liquid.
Righteous
QUOTE (Calantyr @ May 15 2006, 10:44 PM) *
I remember the first time I played Quake 1.

That was so bad-ass. When I was homeschooled after I'd finish my tasks, I'd sit on that thing until my arse was numb. I also remember thinking, "This kicks Doom's ass!" Not too long after, I remember playing Duke Nukem 3D. My brother and I set the parental controls in case our parents realized how bad of a game it was. Oh, and I also remember Hexen, Wolfenstein, Heretic and Heretic 2.

Oh, my God. My little sister borrowed a Game Boy Advance from a friend of hers and it came with (no joke) Super Mario Land. Oh, the momories of staying up until 3AM playing that damn thing!

I also remember when staying up until 3AM was a big deal.
Izzy
I remember playing 'make belive' games with my cousin, and running around with bb guns in the words near his house, either pretending we were in the army, or that we had just run-away from home. Ahhh.....good memories.
michael1384
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 05:01 PM) *
I remember playing Oregon Trail at school as part of a class assignment.

Oregon Trail is that computer game right? I had to play it twice for school, and I hate that game. Both times my person died first!
That stupid game cheats!

-Izzy

I've still got that damn game. Within 5 minuites of playing it there had been 50 "dun da duunnnn!"s
"You have run out of food" "There is no water" "You have found wild berries" "You have cought some horrifying desiese from the berries!" "You have died"

Good times. I remember when 8mb of hard drive space was fantastic!
LoLo
I remember when ass was considered a dirty word.
voices_in_my_head
I remember when "Your mom!" was considered the most clever responce to an insult ever.

wait....

That was today.
I_am_the_best
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ May 20 2006, 03:47 AM) *
I remember when "Your mom!" was considered the most clever responce to an insult ever.

wait....

That was today.

Oddly enough, within my school, 'Your mum' has turned into 'Your face'. It works and brings a lot more humour into the argument/conversation.

'Your face works and brings a lot more humour into the argument/conversation.'

Like so.
Kitty
QUOTE (Righteous @ May 18 2006, 10:58 PM) *
I also remember when staying up until 3AM was a big deal.

I remember when I acctually stayed up till 3 am
voices_in_my_head
I've suddenly started remembering things from when I was in pre-school, kindergarden, and even before then.

In Pre-school, we made paper dolls that were supposed to look like ourselves, and if we wanted to play at one of the "stations" we would stick them to a little velcro pad beside the stations to show that's where we were.

In kindergarden, I remember being at lunch, and thinking that the sliced-up jalapenos were pickles, and putting tons of them on my burger. It was so spicy I cried. Now I'm wondering why they were seving jalapenos to kindergardeners in the first place.

I also remember walking to the lunch building in the rain, 'cause none of the buildings were connected.

Emma: People at my school change inbetween "Your face" and "Your Mom". The conversations get so weird that they're funny sometimes.
"My brother was at college.."
"Your mom was at college!"
"Your Face was at college!"
trunks_girl26
I remember when gas cost under a dollar......($2.98 here now sad.gif )
Feyliya
I remember once while driving back to South Carolina after visiting relatives in Illinois seeing gas for $0.24 a gallon. I shit you not. I think I was 8 at the time, but I remember the sign clearly. And it wasn't just one gas station, either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.