Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I remember when...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 23 2006, 09:46 PM)
I remember when we still had classes on the Dewey Decimal System. And when you took out a book from the library, it was stamped and you could see the names everyone else who ever read it and when.

I remember doing that! No one payed attention at all to the Dewey Decimal System, though.

Elphaba- we have a rollerblading unit in PE!
Rykan
I remember Eerie Indiana and Round the Twist (two fo my more preferred progs from when I was young).
I also remember Fun House, starring Pat Sharpe's mullet.
And Knightmare.
And Maid Marian.
Ohhh good times.
(And Timmy Mallett! And Clarissa Explains It All ... Omg XD )

God, pogs! I'd forgotten them! Boy did I ever love them, for reasons now whch are beyond my recollection.
Does anyone remember now how you played with them? I have no idea! Lmao laugh.gif

Edit~
Can someone help me with this? I've been trying to remember wtf this kids show was from when I was growing up but I have no idea.
They were these people working in a burger bar or something, the opening titles had a guy tap dancing, and a burger or something, I think....
This is driving me nuts! Anyone remember anything like this at all? ^^'

Oh yeah, anyone else remember that kids science programme where they invented things then made them? (Like a helmet with a sucker to attach to a window for sleeping on the train). I think it had a woman called Sally in it. I can remember the theme tune like it was yesterday!
If anyone remembers what this was called, I'll love you forever!
Mata
The dinner one was called 'Spatz' and was, to put it bluntly, rubbish. smile.gif I've no idea what the other one was.
Rykan
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 24 2006, 05:44 PM)
The dinner one was called 'Spatz' and was, to put it bluntly, rubbish. smile.gif I've no idea what the other one was.

OMG IT SO WAS.
Thankyou so much Mata! I've been wondering about that for YEARS.
I'll buy you a hot chocolate at the pub quiz on tues biggrin.gif
Phyllis
They may have been called hopper poppers in the UK, but they were called popples in the the US. But we may not be talking about the same thing, because according to Wikipedia they were only in the US.

There is no possible way you can remember Popples, Kitty. They ended 3 years before you were even born! Maybe they came back during that whole 80's nostalgia phase that went on for awhile.

I remember when Polly Pockets first came out.

I remember when you were NOTHING if you didn't have a Cabbage Patch Kid (man, those things were hideous)

I remember that Goosebumps sucked and was for little kids (little to me at the time they came out). The stuff about Fear Street was better. tongue.gif

I remember Strawberry Shortcake. <3 I had Strawberry Shortcake everything. My tricycle, my bedding...it was awesome.

I remember the Wuzzles (I still own a stuffed animal of Eleroo)

I remember watching reruns of HR Puffenstuff and thinking that kids shows when my mom was younger were freaking MESSED UP.
I_am_the_best
I remember the Snowman.
PsychWardMike
I remember when a Happy Meal at McDonalds was enough to feed me.
Moosh
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Feb 24 2006, 08:52 PM)
I remember the Snowman.

I remember the snowman from Ski Free
elphaba2
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 24 2006, 03:53 PM)

Don't get me started on Old Nostalgia-Ridden McDonald's.Does anyone else remember when they sold hot dogs?
Calantyr
I remember when the DnD cartoon came on TV.

That's when I first started to hate cute things. Bloody unicorns.
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I remember when people saved shorthand writing for shorthand tasks, and not for schoolwork. (yes, I saw it in my school once. Very sad.)

I also remember when Sour Power Straws and other candies were the measuring tool for popularity.

Man, I am getting old before my time... blink.gif
SPEAKERfortheLOST
I remember when we weren't worried about counterfeit computer parts but were worried about whether they were used or not.

I remember when computers weren't measured in GHz but in MHz and even in KHz.

I remember when 8-bit graphics was cutting edge.
Kitty
QUOTE (candice @ Feb 24 2006, 04:34 PM)
They may have been called hopper poppers in the UK, but they were called popples in the the US.  But we may not be talking about the same thing, because according to Wikipedia they were only in the US.

Popples was a show, hopper poppers are toys tongue.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 24 2006, 09:14 PM)
Popples was a show, hopper poppers are toys tongue.gif

They were also a toy.

They were stuffed animals that could be turned inside out so that they were inside the little pouches (see the purple one in the lower left part for one that is turned inside out). tongue.gif But google image search doesn't seem to really know what a "hopper popper" is blink.gif Nor does Wikipedia. The only result I found that was a toy was this:

Is that what you two were talking about? It'd seem I didn't really read the original post that carefully...I couldn't sworn it said something about stuffed animals turning inside out! Maybe I was just hoping that someone that much younger than me remembered them as well. dry.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (crazymat @ Feb 23 2006, 02:37 PM)
I remember... these weird little things that you turned inside out and then they un-inside-out-ed themselves and jumped up in the air.. dunno what they're called but I used to have loads of them..  unsure.gif

http://www.physics.purdue.edu/outreach/phy...d/manual3.shtml

Make your own!

Hehe... Cand, the things at the bottom are the things we're talking about... you turn them inside out and then put them on a solid surface and they go *pop* and fly up into the air and hit you in the face if you're too close. My little cousin got one in a cracker at Christmas!

Ooh... I had this little cuddly lion thing that you could turn inside out and it was a flower... that was awesome! I've still got it somewhere... I'll have to have a look when I get home next!

I remember Fraggle Rock, 5 Children and IT and The Phoenix and The Carpet, Jim Hensons Story Teller and Meg and Mog!!!
Righteous
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Feb 23 2006, 10:18 PM)
I remember roller blades. Kids don't roller blade anymore. I had a lime green pair of "Mach 3"s that were incredibly cool.

These days, the people who in-line do it as a serious thing. To this day, I still call them fruit booters.

Not much to y'all, but I remember when Social Failure was a four-piece nu-metal band. After about a million lineup changes, it's now a five-piece post-modern metal band.

And, of course, nineties alt rock. Gotta love it.

Muppet Babies (Hell, all things Muppet)...Sesame Street...Duck Tales...Mighty Max (Show and toys)...the Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles movies, toys, TV show and games...Pogs (I was into them before they were the thing)...

When rated-R movies were forbidden fruit.

Me too, homeboy. Me too.

I remember Frankenberry, Boo Berry and Fruity Yummy Mummy. Go me!
Phyllis
QUOTE (snoo @ Feb 25 2006, 05:12 AM)
Hehe... Cand, the things at the bottom are the things we're talking about... you turn them inside out and then put them on a solid surface and they go *pop* and fly up into the air and hit you in the face if you're too close. My little cousin got one in a cracker at Christmas!

Yeah, I know what they are talking about now. We had them here too. Just never knew they had a name.

I remember slap bracelets.

I remember wacky wall walkers (think someone might've mentioned them earlier in this thread, but didn't know their name)

I remember having about 40 My Little Ponies

I remember the names of all the Color Kids, and what show they were from.

....wheee 80's nostalgia (though the slap bracelets might've been 90's?)! tongue.gif
voices_in_my_head
I remember the slap bracelets. They used to hand them out as prizes for good behavoir in second grade and there was always that one dumb kid who would try to get it to snap around their neck for a necklace.

I also remember Furby. I had one! It never said my name correctly and went crazy one day when it's batteries were low. it's never been the same since. (I think we may have sold it at some point...)
Kitty
I remember standing outside early in the morning in the FREEZING cold with my dad, waiting to get a furby.... We got two.... For $60 dollars each.

.... I still feel guilty =(
PsychWardMike
I remember when I was a full fledged die hard liberal.
SPEAKERfortheLOST

WOW! so do I!
Phyllis
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 25 2006, 05:34 PM)

I remember when I was against abortion. There was a time! But I was only 16 and hadn't experienced much of anything yet. Now I'm pretty much a full-fledged die-hard liberal. But I remember when I wasn't.
PsychWardMike
I've turned into a moderate now...

I remember when I didn't know how to delete the history! evil.gif
EvilSpork
I actually have one of those hopper popper things on my desk...

My brother and I know them as "popping eyeballs".

The cool thing about mine is it's a bit fancier than just set it and it pops, it has to be set and be tossed onto the surface. The force makes it pop.
Usurper MrTeapot
Challenge TV used to do re-runs of Knightmare early in the morning quite recently, around summer? I'm not sure if they still do.

I remember fads being banned in primary school, we had these bags you stamped on and they inflated and exploded, great fun. Along the line of primary schools I remember mine being huge, which leaves me a bit disappointed when I happen to go past them.

I remember when kinder surpise gave real plastic models rather than the flimsy toys they have now.

I remember when a set of interesting dice could keep me amused for hours. I was born to be a roleplayer.

I remember flying saucers, pop candy, pixie sticks, and for some reason Marathon bars before they became Snickers.

I remember marbles.

I remember being afraid of the Wombles, and the Moomin gave me nightmares. Apparently lots of people agree with me on the latter, we brought it up at a Debating society, they were damn creepy.
Rykan
I reread my first Goosebumps books when I went home last weekend! It was from 1993 or something biggrin.gif

Ok, I remember 1989, lmao. (Well, specifically, my mum putting me in the sink along with the milk bottles! laugh.gif )
voices_in_my_head
I remember when we lived with my Grandpa for a month or two while my dad was in Arizona. While I was there, I was only one or two tops and I remember playing with the cards, marbles, dice and hotwheels everyday.
I also remember 'fishing' in his lake using a stick with a feather tied to the end.
Now when I get to visit him, I'm always shocked to see how much smaller his house looks than it did from my two-year-old point of view.

I also remember when we got our first home computer! The only thing left from it that still works is the keyboard!
Moosh
I remember being amazed when at my dad's work that you could use computers to order things from suppliers. (This was not using the Internet, because at the time very few people had heard of it).
artist.unknown
I remember all the old kid's books no one ever reads any more, like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Goodnight Moon. Which is allegedly an anti-communist book. Which somehow I never caught on to when I was three.

I remember how the old Jello commercials' themesong went until someone in their advertising department realized they were incredibly creepy!

J-E-L-L-OOOOOH--IT'S ALIVE!
Kitty
Chica Chica boom Boom was awesome. Along with Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day. Though I never once read Goodnight Moon
SPEAKERfortheLOST
I remember when "Pogs" were the cool and hip thing.

I remember when K'Nex came out.

I remember when you couldn't walk down the street without seeing some white guy with a boom box on his shoulder.
Usurper MrTeapot
Umbongo Umbongo, they drink it in the Congo.

I also remember a program called Zap? They had a few short sketches, mostly mimed, with various reappearing characters. An artist who had a pen which could make things he drew come to life, a bully girl who would attempt to get a load of school kids to do something stupid, a thing with some rubber gloves. Anyone remember that?
PsychWardMike
I remember when South Park centered squarely on the swearing and not the social commentary.

And when The Simpsons was harkened as the fall of western society.
artist.unknown
I remember Lambchop and Pappyland. Two of the most disturbing shows ever divised for children.

I remember watching Bob Ross paint happy little trees and their friends on PBS. Artists are not that naturally, freakishly serene. I loved him. He was an art Buddha.
Righteous
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 25 2006, 08:34 PM)

Dude, me too.

At times, I can recall some of the many adverts they had on TV while I was a kid. They were all quite silly, but then again, to me all adverts are.

I remember before Peewee Herman got arrested for beating off in a theater. Similarly, I remember when it was socially acceptable to be a fan of Michael Jackson.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 27 2006, 01:31 AM)
I also remember a program called Zap? They had a few short sketches, mostly mimed, with various reappearing characters. An artist who had a pen which could make things he drew come to life, a bully girl who would attempt to get a load of school kids to do something stupid, a thing with some rubber gloves. Anyone remember that?

yes, I think so. It sort of looked like a comic, and they zoomed in on the frames for each sketch? And the rubber gloves made stuff? blink.gif
Rykan
I remember Zig and Zag, and when Chris Evans and Gaby presented the Big Breakfast.
I miss the BB sad.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (crazymat @ Feb 27 2006, 11:49 AM)
yes, I think so. It sort of looked like a comic, and they zoomed in on the frames for each sketch? And the rubber gloves made stuff?  blink.gif

Thats the one.
Usurper MrTeapot
I remember when I used to record music from the radio onto cassette.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 27 2006, 02:31 AM)

I remember it. 'twas awesome!
LoLo
I remember when Macs first came out and were distributed to all the schools and the height of great printing were some very pixelated simple pieced of clip art that came out on a dot matrix printer on paper that was attatched to the next piece of paper, and had holes on the side that fed it through the printer, that we would tear off and fold into cool little things when we took them off.

I used to be really good with the computers so my teachers would have me stay after class to help the students who didn't understand them, so that gave me the chance to make the ever so popular "I love so and so" banners, with the heart graphic on each end, without my teacher catching me. If you did those during class it would take like 5 minutes to print out that banner and you would get caught, get in trouble by the teacher, and possibly get caught by your crush.

I think I made myself like five of the :

(big boxy heart) I love Ramen! (big boxy heart)

And that was actually a guys name, I didn't have a crush on the noodles.
PsychWardMike
I remember when retro was cutting edge, bitch.
Phyllis
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 27 2006, 10:08 AM)
I remember when retro was cutting edge, bitch.

But you are ickle! You were born the same year as my baby sister. I remember the year you were born, bitch. tongue.gif

Bob Ross! He was so great. All those happy little trees and their friends...

I remember when all the girls in my school would spend at least 30 minutes each morning curling their bangs so it basically looked like there was a giant flower strapped to the front of their heads.

I remember when my mom had to forbid me from purposely ripping my jeans.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I remember Zap!

I also remember Daisy Wheel printers... well, not really but I remember the horrible slowness of dot matrix printers - eugh!
gothictheysay
I remember all the old kid's books no one ever reads any more, like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Goodnight Moon.

Goodnight Moon > *. I just read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to the three=year-old across the street recently, too.

I feel too ickle to post properly...
LoLo
QUOTE (candice @ Feb 27 2006, 10:29 AM)
I remember when all the girls in my school would spend at least 30 minutes each morning curling their bangs so it basically looked like there was a giant flower strapped to the front of their heads.

Or or when they would make them go straight up so it looked like they had smacked into a closed door! I do think that may have been more of a ganster type of look though. Mine always were combed to the side, up a little, and filled with so much hair spray that they looked plastic. I would sit there and make it snow on my desk by breaking apart the hair spray bonds.
Daria
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 27 2006, 02:31 AM)
Umbongo Umbongo, they drink it in the Congo.

Neil Buchanan- aka Art Attack guy was the artist with the moustache.

I remember Stop-It And Tidy-Up. I still love gherkins just because of it...
PsychWardMike
I remember a time before boobs mattered to me. Silliness. Silliness most high.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I remember watching Labyrinth for the first time... *sigh*
vicrawr
I remember Zoobilee Zoo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.