Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hypnotherapy
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
WeeJ
H'ok...it's not my usual style to spaff my thoughts out on the internet..but I'm feeling a tad peeved at the moment and thought I'd come here. Tbh, I don't come to Matazone very often these days, but I've always had good friends here who have always welcomed me when I have returned (There are scarce few of these people in the world. Keep hold of the for grim death!)

Anyway...on with the spaffage. I've been learning to drive for two years (although there's a row in the family contesting that it's actually just the one. Anyway...) and failed four tests. Now, I don't like failing as I'm sure none of you who are reading this do.
After my last test, I took a break of about four months. Getting back on with my lessons has been horrible and I've been a bag of nerves. In a last ditch attempt to sort this out, I've been to see a hypnotherapist. The initial consultation cost me 40 ($69.46) which was an hour and a half and today's session of 35 ($60.78) was an hour.

I won't go into the ins and outs of it, but I'm not satisfied and I don't feel it's worked. Now, I'm not saying the bloke I saw is a con artist or anything like that, I'm convinced the work he does benefits loads of people, but unfortunatly not me.

Anyway...that was just something of a rant. I'm 75 quid lighter. That's about it really. Feel free to discuss...
Phyllis
The thing about hypnotherapy is it really only seems to work on people who believe it will work in the first place. It's a funny little self-fulfilling prophecy, that way.
little_bear
I was hypnotised once. Well, sort of. The hypnotist attempt to put me under, but it didn't work. I just sat there going "Erm, what's supposed to happen?".
Izzy
For some reason, talking about hypnosis reminds me of nursery school, where kids would have watches in front of each others faces, yelling "you are getting sleepy". One time, when my friend Lucas was doing it to me, it was so boring, I actually fell asleep. Then he spent the rest of the week thinking he had magical powers...Ahh..the good old days.

-Izzy
WeeJ
H'ok, so I've phoned this bloke and left a message just saying 'I can't afford this atm'
With any luck, he won't phone back and try to offer me some sort of deal. Having to tell the truth would suck. I'd have to try and word myself so I"m not accusing him of beiong a charlitan.
bryden42
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Mar 13 2006, 08:06 PM)
H'ok, so I've phoned this bloke and left a message just saying 'I can't afford this atm'
With any luck, he won't phone back and try to offer me some sort of deal. Having to tell the truth would suck. I'd have to try and word myself so I"m not accusing him of beiong a charlitan.

Just say that it doesnt appear to be working for you and that you are going to try other avenues, ask him if he has any suggestions, he might have come across people that arent affected before and have some ideas.
Mata
Hypnosis has a bgi myth around it, but the basics of it are that it's just a trance state and people expect something magical to be happening. We go into trance states all the time, like when you've been at work, you get home and someone says 'how was your day?' and you can't remember a thing about it, that's a work trance state. They're useful ways for our minds to handle different situations, but we are all familiar with the feeling of them so when hypnotised we don't feel any different.

I learnt a lot about hypnosis when I was a teenager and have used it on others a few times to help with phobias, eczema, and self-confidence. It really can work, but you need someone who is good and you have to realise that the cure is coming from inside you by following the instructions. A good hypnotherapist leads a person to help themself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.