Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivers license age change
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Pages: 1, 2
Izzy
OK, so a few days ago I was listening to the radio, and heard that the government was considering changing the legal driving age from 16 to 17. The next day, I found out that they were starting to test it in Tallahasse, Floridas' capital. I think that this is complete BS for everyone under the age of 16. I mean if they want the streets to be safer, I'm all for that, but I think it would make more sense to get your permit at the age of 14, instead of 15 so you get to drive with your parents for 2 yrs before your out there by yourself. I mean, are 17 yr olds really that much mor responsible than 16 yr olds? Well, post your opinion.

-Izzy
Phyllis
In my opinion, yes. It's fair.

There is quite a bit of difference between each year during your teen years. That was my experience when looking at myself and all of my friends and acquaintances at that time, anyway.

I would not trust a state that would have let me drive at the age of 14 unless it was incredibly rural (like, say, Wyoming). That thought is just scary. blink.gif I agree that it might be a good idea to give the kids another year to practice with their parents, but I'd be more in favor of moving the driving age to 17 rather than the permit age to 14 (incidentally, at least 2 states that I know of have laws that state you cannot get a license until you're 17).

But then, what do I know? I'll be 24 in a month and I'm still afraid of driving. I actually used my permit for all of two months. Never did get my license.

The DMV book is correct when it tells you that driving is not a right. It's a privilege that you must earn. And, in my opinion, it's something that is better left until the later teen years so kids have a chance to become at least a little bit more responsible. I would hate it if they started letting 14 year olds drive in my state, even with a parent in the passenger seat. You want a head start? Read the DMV manual a year early. There is a written test as well, y'know. Can always prepare for that tongue.gif

So you wait another year to have your license. It won't kill you. Walk or ride a bike. It's good for you and the environment.
Sir Psycho Sexy
14 year olds allowed to drive? Are you quite mad? That has to be one of the more 'sh1t your pants' scary things I've heard in a while. Anyway, being that I'm English this is all a moot point, here the legal age is 18, I'm 21 and as it stands I get by just fine without the crippling expensive of buying, maintaining, insuring and running a car. To echo Cand, walking ftw*!!

*for the win...it means it's good

Edit: Just saw you're 12...how is this even an issue for you?!
sjbbandgeek
Personally, I think that the roads would be more safe if
A) A class b licience is required to drive an S.U.V
and
cool.gif People who use cell phones while on the road be pulled over for driving impaired.
Moosh
QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Mar 11 2006, 05:16 AM)
Personally, I think that the roads would be more safe if
B ) People who use cell phones while on the road be pulled over for driving impaired.

In the UK there is a law against driving whilst using a mobile phone, although you can use a hands-free kit.

I've always thought it was insane that many places in the US have the driving age at 16 anyway. I am nearly 16 and many of my friends are 16, and I really would not like to see either them or myself driving at this age. So yeah, I support the UK's driving age, and think that the US should use that as well.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 11 2006, 02:35 AM)
Anyway, being that I'm English this is all a moot point, here the legal age is 18

Uhm... it's 17.

I've never really understood the way that American drivers licensing works, it just seems really screwed up to me. Driving instructors are common as muck here, from what I've seen the majority of people in America get taught by their parents (with maybe a bit of input from someone at their school), who would have got taught by their parents WHO DIDN'T NEED A LICENSE TO DRIVE!! It's madness I say!
gothictheysay
When I moved from one state to another, the driving age increased. I was a little bummed out (most of my friends where I used to live can drive now) but it wasn't the end of the world. You'll live, really.
Righteous
The law in Florida right now is this: At fifteen, you get a learner's permit that you have to hold for a year before you can take the test, and even then, you have certain restrictions at sixteen and seventeen as to what times you can drive.

I didn't start driving until I was seventeen and save a few trips here and there in my friends' cars, I haven't driven since my accident almost two years ago.

the majority of people in America get taught by their parents (with maybe a bit of input from someone at their school), who would have got taught by their parents WHO DIDN'T NEED A LICENSE TO DRIVE!!

What are you talking about? My father haas needed a liscense at sixteen and his parents needed an American driver's liscense when they came to the States. My mother, her parents and their parents all needed liscenses.
In the UK there is a law against driving whilst using a mobile phone, although you can use a hands-free kit.

It's like that in several states here. The ones I know for sure are Georgia, New York and New Jersey.

Depending on where you live in th States, driving may have more or less importance. If you live in NYC or some other major city, public transportation makes it so you don't need a car as much. In Jacksonville (about an hour away from me) the public transportation is substandard (and nonexistant in some places), so a car is a pretty good idea (that and Jax is a big city geographically). Where I live is very rural and everything is really spread out. Public transportation is unheard of here. And since it's often neccessary to commute to Jax for any semblence of civilization, cars then begin to have an added importance (and even then, I wasn't allowed to drive to Jax until I was going to university).

As for the lowering of the driving age, I say deal with it. I and the rest of us did. It'll come sooner than you know; trust me).
Phyllis
snoo, here's how it works in my state:

Age 15: you can take a written exam and get your permit. You must have a licensed driver who is over the age of 21 (or is it 25? Hmm) in the passenger seat at all times when you are driving.

At this time you also have the option of taking driver's ed through your school. This includes classroom lectures and actual driving time. Most people choose this option, because it reduces the amount you pay in insurance.

Age 16: you can take another written exam and an actual driving test if and only if you have logged a certain amount of driving hours. Driver's ed is an easy way to get proof of this, so that's another reason people choose it.

When you get your license, you're put on a probationary period in which you cannot have anyone who is under the age of 25 and not related to you in the car. I can't remember how long this lasts...I'd have to ask my sister because it had just gone into effect when she got her licence. I think it's 18 months.

And voila. Most people here don't learn the majority of their driving from their parents anymore.

I live in a town that has a complete absence of public transport, and I still manage to get around. Like I said, walking and bike riding. I can get anywhere I need to go in town within an hour. If you live in NYC or somewhere with good public transportation, it's not that you don't need a car "as much." You don't need a car at all.
Righteous
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 11 2006, 02:58 PM)
I live in a town that has a complete absence of public transport, and I still manage to get around.  Like I said, walking and bike riding.  I can get anywhere I need to go in town within an hour.

Here's my situation: If you're talking about going somewhere on the island (I live on an island; I'm not sure if I ever mentioned that) it's not too bad. We've done our fair share of walking/skating/biking over the years and it wasn't bad. Going off the island is a different story. See, there are two ways of getting onto the mainland: Hecksher Drive and A1A. One can safely and easily get over the bridge on the south end (Hecksher), but once you cross it, it would take about two hours or so ('m estimating) to get to Hugenot State Park and some Godaweful amount of time to get to the ferry (where on the other side, you will find a bus stop), not to mention I wouldn't reccomend travel down that road, especially at night. A1A (aka State Road 200) is a long, soon-to-be six-lane highway. If you can safely get over the bridge without having a cop stop you and tell you you're not supposed to be crossing it, you still have to deal with miles of dangerous traffic. Even then, everything off the island is remote as Hell and a lot of the locals speed down the country roads (which are numerous).

If you live in NYC or somewhere with good public transportation, it's not that you don't need a car "as much." You don't need a car at all.

Fair enough, but I should point out that cars are still good for utility purposes. For example, I wouldn't transport vital construction equipment via public transportation. Imagine how awkward it would be hauling a mider saw or any other power tools onto a city bus.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Righteous @ Mar 11 2006, 03:03 PM)
Fair enough, but I should point out that cars are still good for utility purposes. For example, I wouldn't transport vital construction equipment via public transportation. Imagine how awkward it would be hauling a mider saw or any other power tools onto a city bus.

If you worked for a construction company in the city, you still wouldn't need your own car. They usually have company trucks for such purposes.

If you don't...then why would you ever need to carry a miter saw across the city? I suppose if one was fixing something in a sibling's apartment across town or something. But then, you call a cab. It's really not worth it to own a car with the cost of parking unless you do extensive traveling outside the city.

Also, I never rode the bus much because I don't care for them, but I have seen all manner of things hauled onto the subway. When we were in London for Sean's birthday moop and I saw a guy who was apparently moving via the Tube. He had a TON of bags, and two guys with him. When the doors opened up, they just started THROWING the bags in rapidly and then he and one of the other guys leapt in. I was amused.

In NYC, it's also fairly common for people to have their own little pushcarts to go shopping. It's useful for carrying all sorts of things...including taking some big items home. And those that wouldn't fit in a pushcart..well, those stores usually deliver in the city anyway.

I stand by my statement: if there is a wide network of public transportation (usually meaning a rail system), you do not need a car. If it's just buses, then I can see how you might occasionally need it, because they're a bit cramped to take a cart on. I don't plan on ever getting my license unless I move somewhere I can't really get around without one (unlikely). A license is more useful to have, because that means you can actually drive a moving truck if you need to rent one, and such. But an actual car? Not in the situations I've been describing.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (snoo @ Mar 11 2006, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 11 2006, 02:35 AM)
Anyway, being that I'm English this is all a moot point, here the legal age is 18

Uhm... it's 17.

....is it? Didn't it used to be 18?
oxym0ronical
Here, at the age of 14 you can get a permit under certain circumstances - if you have a disabled parent or a parent who farms, or if you live a certain amount of miles outside the city limits (I believe it's 15, but I'm not sure).

At 15, you can get your learner's permit. You have to have someone over the age of 18 in the car with you, and you can't have anyone under 18 in the car who isn't related to you. The learner's permit is good for a year.

They're now changing it to a "graduated license" where you can get your license at 16, but you have many, many restrictions (no driving after dark, no more than one person in the car with you who's under 18, etc) and it also hinges on whether or not you've taken defensive driving classes. At 17, you get your full license and no longer have the restrictions.

I never took driver's ed. I learned from my parents, who were indeed licensed, and they learned from their parents who were also licensed.

Public transportation may as well not exist here and it'd be difficult to walk or ride a bicycle to most places as my 'city' is very stretched out. For instance, it takes about 10-15 minutes' driving time (without heavy traffic) to get to a grocery store, and about 30 minutes' driving time to get from one end of the 'city' to the other. This isn't to say I live somewhere huge - it's just not very well planned out tongue.gif
Wytukaze
I've been told to clear up possible confusion. I hate it when the IRCers make me do this.

Speaking as someone who has just turned 18 in the UK, I can tell you that the driving age is currently 17. Many of my schoolfriends have been able to drive for a year now. There was, however, talk of raising the limit to 18 recently. I don't know what's happened to that. It might've fallen through, or it might be coming into effect later.

Are we all happy? Yes? Good.
gothictheysay
I hate it when the IRCers make me do this.

Aw c'mon you know you love it tongue.gif

/spam
Izzy
Edit: Just saw you're 12...how is this even an issue for you?!

It's an issue because the sooner I get my drivers lisense, the soon I can move out of the hellhole I live in.

*Actually, I'm 11, not 12
elphaba2
Well, technically (if you can argue in court that it is in your best interest to move out) you can leave the "hellhole" now. A driver's license doesn't change where you live--just means you can drive places. If you mean that you hate having to rely on your parents for transport, well, you don't. Regardless of where you live, there are alternate methods for getting around. Like Candice said--buses, walking/biking and taxis are all viable options.

Where I am, the age of getting a permit is 16, and there are a few loopholes that mean one can drive without a parent a year and a half later. It's a little frustrating, particularly when (like my brother) one is a fall baby and has to wait six months after friends begin to drive. But though older kids (maybe) can been seen as more risk-taking, they're also at an age where things like work heighten responsibilities. A lot of younger kids clam up when in a stressful situation like the ones that can come when one is driving and an older kid is more likely to be able to handle that situation. I certainly wouldn't want any of the fourteen-year olds I tutor driving!
Phyllis
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 12 2006, 01:38 PM)
It's an issue because the sooner I get my drivers lisense, the soon I can move out of the hellhole I live in.

So...wait. Are your parents verbally or physically abusive? Or do you just get into arguments because they won't let you do whatever you want and try to get you to wear colors other than black?

I have said this to someone else on here who is your age, but I am going to say it again: you are still a kid. Unless the situation you're in is genuinely abusive (in which case you should call Social Services rather than attempting to live on your own), there's no reason for you to be worrying about such serious things as running away. Go climb a freaking tree or something. Be a kid. You'll grow up soon enough.

Yes, I am more than twice your age. But, believe it or not, I do genuinely remember what it is like to be 11. And things haven't changed that much since the 90's. Almost no one gets along with their parents when they're a teenager...it's part of the territory. I don't mean to demean you at all, and I hope you don't take this as such. As a former angsty teen, I am simply trying to give you the benefit of my experience.

I thought that the place I lived was horrible as well, but it turns out it was pretty freaking nice and I was fortunate to grow up there. It could have been so much worse. If I ever met someone who survived being a starving child in Ethiopia or something, they would be completely within their rights to smack me upside the head for thinking my life was so incredibly horrible when I was a kid. It wasn't. Chances are, neither is yours.

Like elphaba said, a license is not what is keeping you there. A license will not magically give you freedom. It will not suddenly make you more responsible and better equipped to survive in the world without your parents' support. And, sorry to say this, but it's better that you have to wait an extra year to get that license if you're going to use it as an opportunity to run away. It's a lot more difficult than it looks...especially if you're under 18 and don't even have so much as a high school diploma. It's probably for the best that your lack of driving ability is keeping you there.
Cassidy
Yes the youngest you could get a licence was 17 in 1985 and has not changed since...but I am not sure when the age limit was set.

other than that its nice to see that the more things change the more they stay the same...

graffitee found on the walls of Pompy said some thing to the effect that...

'the young people of today just dont have the respect for their elders that we did when we were their age'

2000 years later has that changed ?
Witless
Heh.. every generation believes they are the wisest and most enlightened generation.. it's a little egotistical really.. but I prefer to see it as humourous
Izzy
A driver's license doesn't change where you live--just means you can drive places.

Well, I was planning on getting my drivers lisense when I was 16, get a job at Hot Topic or Vans or something after school and on weekends,and use that money to live somewhere with a friend as a roommate. As for getting to and from school, I'd probally need a car because no bus goes there, and it's too far on bikes.

Like Candice said--buses, walking/biking and taxis are all viable options.

Yeah, I usually skateboard from place to place. smile.gif
Izzy
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 13 2006, 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 12 2006, 01:38 PM)

So...wait. Are your parents verbally or physically abusive? Or do you just get into arguments because they won't let you do whatever you want and try to get you to wear colors other than black?

I have said this to someone else on here who is your age, but I am going to say it again: you are still a kid. Unless the situation you're in is genuinely abusive (in which case you should call Social Services rather than attempting to live on your own), there's no reason for you to be worrying about such serious things as running away. Go climb a freaking tree or something. Be a kid. You'll grow up soon enough.

Yes, I am more than twice your age. But, believe it or not, I do genuinely remember what it is like to be 11. And things haven't changed that much since the 90's. Almost no one gets along with their parents when they're a teenager...it's part of the territory. I don't mean to demean you at all, and I hope you don't take this as such. As a former angsty teen, I am simply trying to give you the benefit of my experience.

I thought that the place I lived was horrible as well, but it turns out it was pretty freaking nice and I was fortunate to grow up there. It could have been so much worse. If I ever met someone who survived being a starving child in Ethiopia or something, they would be completely within their rights to smack me upside the head for thinking my life was so incredibly horrible when I was a kid. It wasn't. Chances are, neither is yours.

Like elphaba said, a license is not what is keeping you there. A license will not magically give you freedom. It will not suddenly make you more responsible and better equipped to survive in the world without your parents' support. And, sorry to say this, but it's better that you have to wait an extra year to get that license if you're going to use it as an opportunity to run away. It's a lot more difficult than it looks...especially if you're under 18 and don't even have so much as a high school diploma. It's probably for the best that your lack of driving ability is keeping you there.

No, my mom is not abusive in anyway(I don't live with my dad so neither is he).I know I'm still a kid, and as for climbing trees, I'm never doing that again after I fell out of one in my cousin's backyard. sad.gif I guess my life isn't that bad, but it's not something to look forward to when I wake up everymorning. I dont consider moving out 'running away' but more like moving on to better things. And by moving out,if and when I do, I'm not gonna be a high school drop out. I know a high school diploma is important, but I don't think it'"for the best that my lack of driving ability" is keeping me at home.

-Izzy
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Wytukaze @ Mar 12 2006, 04:31 AM)
Speaking as someone who has just turned 18 in the UK, I can tell you that the driving age is currently 17. Many of my schoolfriends have been able to drive for a year now. There was, however, talk of raising the limit to 18 recently. I don't know what's happened to that. It might've fallen through, or it might be coming into effect later.

Are we all happy? Yes? Good.

As far as I was aware, there is always talk about moving it up to 18. Usually it is the people who are about to turn 17 who are doing the talking.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Cassidy @ Mar 13 2006, 05:22 AM)
'the young people of today just dont have the respect for their elders that we did when we were their age'

2000 years later has that changed ?

I wasn't saying that, though. I was quite a lot like her when I was around 13 or 14. I was no more enlightened, nor did I have any more respect for my mother.

I was just saying "Hey, your life isn't as bad as you think it is, and it'd probably be worse if you moved out."
Icey
They should raise the limits to people allowed to get there license to 20! (In all Countries)

I think it would solved Englands problem of 'Chav Boyracers'.

Plus they should make people when they hit the age of 50 & 65 take a retest!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Icey @ Mar 13 2006, 11:31 AM)

Well, I almost agree with you. I think it should be closer to 70. During their 50's and 60's people don't really have the problems that would require a retest. Most people don't even retire until age 65, and if they're capable of working they're capable of driving. My dad will be 50 this June, and I see no reason why he (or the majority of people his age) would need a retest.
Cassidy
I think that if you check the date that your licence expires (in the UK) the date is your 75 birthday...(does anyone know for sure) and that though you do not have to resit the test you have to reregister...but if you are involved in an accident areview is done....

please any one got correct details....
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Raising the age to 20 wouldn't stop boy racers - it would just make them older!

I don't know the specifics anyway but I think over 70 you have to have your license renewed every few years and they check up on if you've been in any accidents or anything.

Also, I dunno what house prices/rental prices are like where you are, devils daughter, but I'm pretty sure you would be stretched to live anywhere on the wages from a weekend job, even shared between two people - remember you have to buy food and pay bills too, especially if you have a car you'll need insurance and petrol money and MOTs and taxes. Life isn't simple, not by a long stretch of the imagination. Sorry.
Izzy
Just a quick question: if the age to drive a car rises, does the same happen to the age where you drive motorcycles?

-Izzy
Izzy
[snoo,Mar 14 2006, 11:06 AM]
Raising the age to 20 wouldn't stop boy racers - it would just make them older!

Same thing with wreckless drivers.
Cassidy
Over here it is much harder to get a bike licence than a car licence...
Get a cbt test...theory test...you can only drive a certain size of bike untill you get above 21 ? or 25? and even then the insurance is a killer... although the cheap option is to get a honda c90 cub and run it on L plates....and bikes just arnt as safe

speaks a Honda VFR750 rider...

but lots of fun
Izzy
To me, bikes are much more safe than cars, I've been driving a honda xr70r dirtbike since I was 8. The only time when bike arn't safe is when you start driving like a drunk idiot, or if you try doing stunts and go over jumps and stuff. As long as you wear a helmet you should be okay..I only crashed twice, and that isn't that bad biggrin.gif .

Note to anyone who doesn't know: if you're going to ride dirtbikes I suggest you wear long pants becuase u can burn your leg..Ouchies!

-Izzy
Phyllis
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 09:47 AM)
The only time when bike arn't safe is when you start driving like a drunk idiot, or if you try doing stunts and go over jumps and stuff. As long as you wear a helmet you should be okay..I only crashed twice, and that isn't that bad biggrin.gif .

You are so unbelievably wrong.

When you drive anything...you have to not only worry about your own driving, but that of the other people who are sharing the road with you. The chances of you being "okay" in an accident are considerably less than in a car, even when wearing a helmet.
Izzy
QUOTE (candice @ Mar 14 2006, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 09:47 AM)
The only time when bike arn't safe is when you start driving like a drunk idiot, or if you try doing stunts and go over jumps and stuff. As long as you wear a helmet you shouldbe okay..I only crashed twice, and that isn't that bad biggrin.gif .

You are so unbelievably wrong.

When you drive anything...you have to not only worry about your own driving, but that of the other people who are sharing the road with you. The chances of you being "okay" in an accident are considerably less than in a car, even when wearing a helmet.

In that case, i thought of how to be semi-completely safe while driving a car. Where a helmet! tongue.gif

And like I said about the bikes, if your not driving like a drunken moron, and stay in your lane, and not go in and out of the cars, you Should okay. WHen you're riding a bike, it's easier to stop, and aviod an accident, cause if you see a car about to hit you, you can turn past it or something, unlike when you're in a car, which in that case, you're a much bigger target.And learning the correct way to crash might help too, I mean don't let the bike squeeze u to death, you can fall and try to roll outta the way.

And it can't be much safer driving a bicycle either. In some parts of cities, there are no side walks,so you have this small lane made for bicycle riders. So you've got a big chance to get run-over like that.

-Izzy

(When I crashed it was on private property, and I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I'm okay arn't I?-well other than a burn mark scar on my leg-BIKES ARE SAFE!)
Phyllis
It's easier to go flying off of it and land hundreds of feet away.

They are not safer than cars. Your experiences are just that - your experiences. It doesn't mean that they're applicable to people as a whole. Statistics overwhelmingly show that cars are safer.

As an aside on the bicycle lane thing: it is illegal in most cities to ride your bike on the sidewalk, just so you know.
Izzy
...SO then how are bicycles safe if you're supposed to drive on a road with them..? blink.gif
Phyllis
Did I ever say they were exceedingly safe? You're the one trying to say things like motorcycles are safer than cars. I never said bicycles were a safer alternative to cars or motorcycles, did I (though I'd wager they are indeed safer than the latter)? Of course you're taking a risk if you're riding on something that is open and has no way to belt you in when there are cars around. I personally choose to walk instead because of the lack of bicycle lanes in my town. Generally it's a lot safer when those lanes do exist.
Jonman
QUOTE (Icey @ Mar 13 2006, 08:31 PM)
They should raise the limits to people allowed to get there license to 20! (In all Countries)

I think it would solved Englands problem of 'Chav Boyracers'.

Frankly, I think that everyone should be made to re-pass a driving test every 10 years.

Since I've started riding my bike to work, I'm horrified by how many people have no clue what's going on around them, even to the point of me having to throw myself off my bike in order to avoid being run over.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Jonman @ Mar 14 2006, 09:37 PM)
Frankly, I think that everyone should be made to re-pass a driving test every 10 years.

I agree. I think it would do a whole lot of good to force people into being reminded how they should drive every so often, and weed out the bad habits.
Cassidy
Personally I think that all car drivers should have to spend some time on a motor bike just so they can see how vulnerable people are on motor bikes....

Just to reinforce what has been said earlier MOTOR BIKES ARE NOT SAFE.... mainly because you have less protection around you...no crumple zones...seat belts...airbags....if you are stupid enough not to wear leathers or other protection and come off then at 30mph you can lose 1kg of skin per second...
speak to ambulance staff or er staff...

I love bikes for the freedom,speed,acceleration and sheer joy I get out of ridding BUT I have had a number of accidents that have been totally down to a car driver...one car came round the corner on my side of the road and I was forced off the road,tuble,bike was trashed and nearly landed on me...bike weighed 400lbs...I could have died...the car driver did not even stop...

Three years ago a car driver ran into me and my bike whilst I was standing still at a junction....I had all my lights on and the bike is big...he said later that he was so busy looking at cars at the junction he just did not see me...

Car drivers tend not to see ao be awear of motor bikes and in any collision with a car a bike will come of worse...

but as I said they are just so much fun
Witless
This is only a tiny bit off original topic but it's related.

I never understood why people keep saying how hard we are on car drivers.. with the speed cameras etc. I mean isn't it a simple case of "if you're worried about speed cameras then don't speed". The number of cases where speed cameras have mis judged speeds are tiny compared to the number of times they are bang on with the speeds they measure.

In my personal opinion, the more obstacles there are to allowing people to drive the better. In that situation only those people that truelly need a car would drive, and people that just want one, or just use it because it's handy would be cut down.

The very notion of dropping the driving limit down to younger people just seems a bit scary to me. Walk, ride bikes, use public transport. You'd be suprised how well they work when your forced to rely on them.

On a side note.. has anyone ever noticed that no matter where someone lives.. they blame public transport or lack of it for needing a car? Even here in London.. people say the same thing as people living in villages in the middle of no where, where there truelly is no transport.

I agree that sometimes you need a car.. but.. I refuse to believe for a minute that all the people that say they need one, actually do need one.
Izzy
QUOTE (Cassidy @ Mar 15 2006, 08:09 AM)
but as I said they are just so much fun

you've got that right smile.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 05:47 PM)
As long as you wear a helmet you should be okay...

aaaahahahahahahaha, that's so funny, do you really believe that? A good friend of my Dad hit a car, flew over the bonnet, hit a tree, broke his neck and died. He was wearing a helmet.
Ign355
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 14 2006, 10:47 AM)
To me, bikes are much more safe than cars, I've been driving a honda xr70r dirtbike since I was 8. The only time when bike arn't safe is when you start driving like a drunk idiot, or if you try doing stunts and go over jumps and stuff. As long as you wear a helmet you should be okay..I only crashed twice, and that isn't that bad biggrin.gif .

Note to anyone who doesn't know: if you're going to ride dirtbikes I suggest you wear long pants becuase u can burn your leg..Ouchies!

-Izzy

i agree with you, bikes are safer than cars, since ive been riding pretty much every day(i ride a honda 650r made street legal) i have not had 1 problem because bikes are easier to weave in and outta traffic
Izzy
Finally someone agrees with me!!!!!!See bikes [SIZE=14]Are[SIZE=14] safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Izzy
Ign355
lol yea, i have been riding motorcycles 4 about 13years now and in that time i have got a drivers licence and driving and riding are totally different and me driving isnt good cuz well i literally suck at driving, but if you give me a motorcycle i can do anything and everythying that there is possible
Izzy
yeah, ive bin driving about 3 and a half yrs,and like i said before only crashed twice which isnt too bad. I dont see why so many ppl think motorcycles are dangerous. I mean if some1 inexperienced drives, i understand that, like when i let my friend jessica try,and she crashed in2 a tree and her head started 2 bleed,but if you've been driving a while, i dont see the danger.

I can drive pretty well, well go karts neways..And i've driven my friend donny's car around the neighbor hood like twice, it was fun but kinda scary the first time.

-Izzy
Ign355
yer inexperienced ppl, i agree with you. ppl who dont no how to ride then they get a motorcycle and trying to ride it around and end up crashing then they call the police then there is another report that there is a motorclcle accident. thoes are the ppl that annoy me the most because the degrade rider everywhere by lowering the standard in moto riding..
little_bear
It's totally fair tbh. NOt that I've any idea what we're tlaking about.
Phyllis
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 17 2006, 05:05 PM)
Finally someone agrees with me!!!!!!See bikes Are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Izzy

No, they aren't.

Just because ONE person out of an entire forum agrees with you, that does not make you correct. You are still wrong, I'm afraid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.