Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Age Descrimination
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Erin
i like so hate it when people limit me based on my age. yeah...im 15, im technically still a kid, but that shouldnt matter. in my highschool they even descriminate against ages. i wanted to be president in a club i work with, i am one of the most commited members, and then they tell me i cant be president because i am a freshman. thats so lame

also...everytime i apply for a job..they tell me they want an older worker, while my girlfriend is on the council of the library -.- thats so not right lol. dry.gif

anyhow..age descrimination bothers me a lot..
little_bear
Not meaning to be harsh, but sh*t happens. You'll grow up eventually, and those opportunities that are denied you now will be open to you later. It's just one of those things you have to accept.
Phyllis
QUOTE (little_bear @ Mar 13 2006, 09:46 AM)
Not meaning to be harsh, but sh*t happens.  You'll grow up eventually, and those opportunities that are denied you now will be open to you later.  It's just one of those things you have to accept.

What he said. Everyone had to go through that at some point, including the people who are saying you're too young. It's just something everyone has to get through.
gothictheysay
also...everytime i apply for a job..they tell me they want an older worker, while my girlfriend is on the council of the library -.- thats so not right lol.

A lot of employers will only hire at 16+ for various reasons, some of them legal, I believe. Why do you need a job when you're only fifteen? I think you can wait until sixteen for that smile.gif It'll come sooner than you think.
MrRandomQuotes
I think once you get to whatever age you will take pervese pleasure in stoping people doing things you weren't allowed to do. It gives the world a sense of justice.

Until then, you're just gonna have to take all the BS.
Astarael
I pretty much agree with the above posts. Job age limits often have legal reasons, and seniority systems, while sometimes unfair, can keep things balanced. People feel that authority should go to those with the most experience, and often that's the best way to be sure that things run smoothly. It also ensures that the people who have been dedicated for the longest time have greater chance of attaining authority, which does seem pretty fair until you take it to extremes. It ensures that you're willing to the ordinary work without the fun trappings of authority. Your time will come if you're patient and you remain dedicated.
monkey_called_narth
elder peopl tend to use your age against you becasue its an easy way out of an argument of confitation... you points dotn matter because your to young... eventually you get older and they still do the same bs...but then youll have the confidance to know your right tongue.gif
Witless
I'm personally more worried about age discrimination when I'm old than when I'm young.
Seems like a much more scary prospect to be not told you can do something because you're too old.
Astarael
True. When you're young, you know that one day you'll have what's being denied to you now. When you're old, you'll just be getting farther away from being allowed to do things.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Witless @ Mar 16 2006, 06:14 AM)
I'm personally more worried about age discrimination when I'm old than when I'm young.
Seems like a much more scary prospect to be not told you can do something because you're too old.

Exactly. You can grow older, but you can't go the other way. I'd worry much more about discrimination when I was elderly as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.