Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compare today's society to 1000 yrs ago
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Izzy
I was watching TV last night when a commercial came on, and I started to think. I realised that the government today isn't that much better than it was 1000 years ago! People are still dieing for their crimes, just like they did 1000 years ago. The only difference is that back then they didn't have advanced ways of killing their people. Now we have methods that the government doesn't find "cruel and unusal". But I'm sure alot of people thinking getting electricuted, going inside a gas chamber, or getting poison injected into their body is "cruel and unusal". What good ever comes from killing a person, even if they are a criminal, anyway? Might as well make them do things in jail and be somewhat of a help to society. In some ways I think society was alot better thousands of years ago. People rode horses, which didn't pollute the air. People didn't have a bunch of things that were bad for the envirement. There's lots of things that made society better back then! They didn't have all the technoligy beacase it was ahead of their time, but I'm sure you can live without a computer... sad.gif okay computer was a bad example, I can't live without mine, but you can live without a bunch of things. One of the only things that makes it better to be alive today is all the info we have, and that we know how to stop a bunch of deseises. Just thought I'd share one of the freaky things I think about when commercials come on.
Phyllis
People are still dieing for their crimes, just like they did 1000 years ago.

Not everywhere. The death penalty is banned in two states (Kansas and New York), and in Europe. It's also quite rare for there to be executions in Western states, even when it's legal (except Arizona, California, and Nevada). Oregon and Montana have had 2 executions each since 1976 and Idaho, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Colorado have all only had 1 each since that time, for instance (though I'd rather that number was 0, but that's another issue).

And 1,000 years ago is quite a bit different. Personally I'd prefer to live now...especially since I'm a woman. The thought of being a woman 1,000 years ago is frightening.
Izzy
^ You've got a serious point when you say the thought of being a woman and living 1000 yrs ago is scary...I totally agree with you on that. I also agree that it's better to live today. I think that the death sentance should be banned all over the world, because nothing good ever comes from it.

Person on death sentance: PLease don't kill me, I'll be good!
Executer: It's your time to die, you did the crime
Person that's going to dies mom: Don't kill my baby!!!!!!!

I don't see how anyone could be an executer...that's got to be one of the worst jobs in the world. I mean sometimes you might actually kill someone inncoent!

In Florida it's almost always on the news that someone is on Death Row. Whether is it's the dude that killed/ raped that little girl, or the other dude that killed his girlfriends daughter, you're always hearing about it.

Another thing I think the government is doing wrong is putting people in jail for accidently killing someone, like if you're driving, and you accidently run someone over. It's not like the person that ran over the other person planned it out or anything. You should only go to jail for killing someone if you actually plan it out, or purposely run someone over!
sjbbandgeek
In many driving cases, the "accedental" killing happened while the driver was under the influence. People need to realise and respect the fact that they are in control of a large and sensitive piece of equipment, and the privlige of operating it comes with great responsibility.
Daria
The line "there has never been a better time to live than now" is true on so many levels. All the "good" things you can think about 1000 years ago would probably only apply if you were A- rich, B- male.
Wait a second- What's changed? tongue.gif
Witless
...and don't forget C - White
Calantyr
A thousand years ago, eviscerating pregnant women during warefare was not unusual. Neither was skewing your enemies on spikes, plague, famine, mob justice, etc.

We have it better in almost every way these days. Sure it's not perfect, but compared to how things used to be...

Not to mention abuses of power that make todays crimes look like childish pranks...

"The most scandalous charges were suppressed; the Vicar of Christ was only accused of piracy, murder, rape, sodomy and incest." - Edward Gibbon describing the deposition of medieval Pope John XXIII by the Council of Constance in 1415
Museum Girl
I really want to know what the scandolous ones are now.
pgrmdave
When I want to eat, I can go get my food, already cooked, and it tastes good - it has spices on it, and it has been cooked well. Try doing that 1000 years ago.
Museum Girl
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Mar 31 2006, 06:13 AM)
When I want to eat, I can go get my food, already cooked, and it tastes good - it has spices on it, and it has been cooked well.  Try doing that 1000 years ago.

I don't know, the Romans invented takeaways and the food they sold sounds nice enough. Roman dinner party food on the other hand sounds distinctly unpleasent.
Calantyr
Not to mention hot and cold running water in your home, central heating, a responsible police force, cheap lighting, easy access to education, extremely low child mortality rates, cheap and fast worldwide travel,representation in government on a large scale...

The list goes on and on and on.

Would you prefer living today, or the cruel brutal and short existance of 1000 years ago? Back then Britain still suffered raids from the continent and any figure with an inflated ego and half a dozen men-at-arms was a threat.

Oh yes, and slavery is only practiced in one country today. I would consider that an improvement.
FeralPolyglot
I agree that the personal benefits of today outweigh the personal benefits available 1000 years ago. I would, however, like to see nature restored to a brighter time. I hate the thought of polluting the environment the way we are and I hate even more the thought of demolishing ecosystems that took decades to establish. This brings a quote to mind...

"We do not inherit the land, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Saying
Calantyr
1000 years ago we were pretty good at destroying the environment too. Europe used to be covered in dense forests. It's a shame timber is so useful.
pgrmdave
We are better at restoring environments today than we ever have been - we are better capable of living with the land than we ever have been. The indians used to kill buffolo herds for food, because they thought they were inexhaustable. The reason we seem so much more damaging today is because there are many, many more people alive today than 1000 years ago, and because our technology progressed faster than our ecological knowledge. In essence, 100 years ago we had advanced technology but our understanding of ecology was much too similar to as it had been 1000 years ago.
pgrmdave
Oh yes, and slavery is only practiced in one country today. I would consider that an improvement.

Slavery is only LEGALLY practiced in one country maybe, but the slave trade is alive and thriving - the three biggest black market commodities are guns, drugs, and humans.
Calantyr
Hmmm, okay. Maybe I could put some qualification in it.

Slavery is not legal in any country, but in Mauritania everyone with authority chooses to look the other way while it's blatantly happening right under their nose.
Rykan
1000 years ago where, if any one has anywhere specific they were thinking of? Medieval England? Vikings? Greecs under Constantinople? (The Roman Empire fell in the 5th century).
Sorry it's just that being an archaeology student I know life was quite different all over the world at that time (ahhh the Iron Age). Hard, yes, but quite different ^^'

As for the poluting the air thing; we did start polluting the atmosphere a lot after the industrial revolution, but I was reading the other day that the things humans create which polute contribute every year something like 3 parts per million, where as the earth itself pumps out about 70 parts per million. We do need to stop our pollution though.
Calantyr
I think we talking generally about western Europe, as that is where many of our societies derive themselves from.

And the Roman Empire fell in 1453. *noddles*
pgrmdave
The Roman empire definitely fell long before 1453...
Calantyr
Only the Western one. In the East it continued for another 1000 years. People don't like to think it counts because it was Orthodox, not Catholic. However legally, historically, and culturely it was the Roman Empire.
PsychWardMike
Today's society. So much better.

The fact that the death penalty exists just as it has since the beginning of human society proves nothing, really. A continued (though much lessened) blood lust, mayhaps? Still, the use of a gas chamber is rare because of the expense and safety risks, as well as its (deserved) bad rap from the Holocaust.

Still, today we have all sorts of dandy medicines! I'd probably be dead 1000 years ago, seeing that I get a rather nasty case of of bronchitis two or three times a year. Cancer is becoming more and more treatable, we've gotten rid of polio, we can attach limbs again, replace organs... from a purely medical standpoint alone, the present is the time time to live.

And hell, we have TV! And movies! And video games! All sorts of information at our finger tips that would have been unthinkable.

Honestly, I can't find one benefit that the past has over the present, nor one thing that the present hasn't improved upon.
Astarael
Other than having cleaner air and a more untouched ecosystem, I can't either, and those upshots aren't nearly nice enough to make me want to live back then. I'd be blind as a bat without my glasses, and I'd probably be dead in childbirth already because I'm so small. The present day pwns the distant past.
elphaba2
I wouldn't be dead, but probably carried off by vikings. And smelly, and dissatisfied with the government and in a dead-end job.

You know, take out the job and it's pretty much now.

*gets carried off by Vikings*
gingerpig
From what little I remember of forest clearance (and I'm sure the previous archaeologist will correct me), most of the tree clearence in the uk had already been done by Roman times. In the Middle and Latest parts of the Stone Age, slash and burn was popular to create new shoots for deer to be hunted, and then land for agricultural purposes respectively. I tihnk by the Iron Age, the main tree clearance was being done on areas that were climatically less attractive than before, which is supposed to indicate how much clearence had already been done. Depends on how good you are at recontructing past environments though.

It can be very hard to look at past societies objectively, as we're not livin in them, nor do we share their moral code. So although there may be things that we feel are better about our society, ie female emancipation, schooling for children etc, I think it might be hard to evaluate who's happier and who isn't. It is quite interesting to read moral codes from different civillisations and get that, "wow this could still apply to today". It's hard to know how we felt in the past, so it's interesting when that kind of connection happens (no matter that it is in itself a very subjective thing to say).

There's stuff from Ancient Egyptian Sage's advice which bascially talks about such table manners like not appearing to eat too much, being respectful to one's host, not gossiping, or boasting about one's wealth. I guess we got those values through the Jewish and then Christian Traditions.
Izzy
Never again will I allow my mind to wander off to 1,000 years ago during a commercial.
gingerpig
Oh please do, then I can kid myself I'm writing something interesting even if it is just procrastination.
Izzy
^ Alright then. *turns TV on and goes to a channel with a comercial on* Hmmm...I wonder if people 1,000 years ago knew what procrastination was.....
Calantyr
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 10:43 PM) *
^ Alright then. *turns TV on and goes to a channel with a comercial on* Hmmm...I wonder if people 1,000 years ago knew what procrastination was.....

"I can't go and muck out the cows, I'm too busy burning witches."

Yeah, I can see it happenning.
gingerpig
I think this is turning into a chicken and the egg situation... How well did we procrastinate before electricty and more importantly the web? Apart from the obvious answer of huge birth rates.
Izzy
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 23 2006, 06:08 PM) *

But they thought burning witches was more important than mucking out the cows back then. Didn't they?
Calantyr
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 24 2006, 06:37 PM) *

But they thought burning witches was more important than mucking out the cows back then. Didn't they?

More of an idle passtime. Like picking scabs and avoiding plague.
elphaba2
*hearts Calantyr*
Izzy
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 24 2006, 01:42 PM) *

They killed 'witches' during the bubonic plague, or The Black Death, whichever you call it. They didn't consider that a passtime...At least I hope not?
Calantyr
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 25 2006, 09:19 PM) *

They killed 'witches' during the bubonic plague, or The Black Death, whichever you call it. They didn't consider that a passtime...At least I hope not?

I'm just pulling your leg. wink.gif

*hearts Calantyr*

Awww, thankee! *Infects with plague*
Izzy
QUOTE (Calantyr @ Apr 25 2006, 05:09 PM) *
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 25 2006, 09:19 PM) *

I'm just pulling your leg. wink.gif

laugh.gif Was hoping so. You had me scared for a second though....But picking at scabs is a great passtime. tongue.gif
Ashbless
Wouldn't be too keen to be married and raising kids plural in my teens. (Not much for birth control back then) Back breaking labour was also pretty much the norm unless you were born rich.

I vote present day.
kittykitty
What the society never experienced 1000 years ago is the internet. If they had this baby back then, things would have been a lot easier. Imagine, if only they had it back then, information would have flourished like flowers in springtime. People could have talked from long distances and finding a date would never be a hassle.

Like what I do these days, i just go to webdate.com and find myself a girl. A real babe to be with. Imagine if they could have done that back then. Now I could talk to the girls I meet on webdate through the SMS function that the website offers. Its the best. My sister goes to another site called wealthymen.com. i guess she is trying to find herself someone really rich cause thats the only reason why women go there.

Imagine life without these pleasures. I could have never survived doing all these. Thank God for the 21st century! biggrin.gif
Calantyr
Points awarded to those who can identify the crudely disguised advertisement spam.
Daria
Is it... this?
Not much for birth control back then
Astarael
*raises hand* Would it by any chance be the one that, based on the member's gender, has a non-functioning link to a lesbian chat room? tongue.gif Of course, given that I've never met a girl who uses the word "babes" seriously, someone could have just been in a hurry to register.
PsychWardMike
*sets fire to kitty kitty*

1000 years ago sucked. That's it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.