Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Room 101
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
elphaba2
QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 6 2006, 10:06 PM) *
I would put Grammar Nazis in Room 101, personally.

*bangs on door*

Christ. I suppose this is my demise.

*slumps to floor of Rm. 101*

I would invite bad organic granola to join me in Room 101. Also, taxi drivers who get mad at people who cannot afford to give more than a two-dollar tip.
Izzy
^ Welcome to the Room 101 club!^
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 21 2006, 08:10 AM) *
QUOTE (Felander @ Apr 19 2006, 06:14 PM) *

Oh, and people intolerant of other's musical taste and/or certain genres of music.

sad.gif In the room I go then, but hip-hop and rap is coming with me!
Clatterpop
I'd put in brutish parents who use prams to barge people out of the way. Also, people who walk on the cycle path in town, and then give you a dirty look when you cycle past them on it. Oh yeah, and people who queue jump and then pay for one item with a credit card. mad.gif

Actually, looking back at my choices, there seems to be a bit of a theme, and really I should just put going shopping into Room 101.
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 8 2006, 08:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 7 2006, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 6 2006, 10:06 PM) *

I would put Grammar Nazis in Room 101, personally.

wot n ave evry1 type lik dis ?????

Well, type however you want, like...

It's really not that hard to understand; I certainly find it more pallatable than relentlessly pointing out errors in grammar and spelling, tbh.

It is, however, less easy than reading properly typed words. It's also no good if you have even the slightest hankering to do anything professionally - few institutions will employ someone who can't write using real words.

I counter the banishment of grammar Nazis with the total expurgation of the use of text-speak when a full sized keyboard and (practically) unlimited message space are available. Possibly the excessive nesting of quotes should go in too. tongue.gif
Moosh
People who describe things they do/say as 'random'. It just really annoys me.
elphaba2
omg that's so random.

lyke, for serious.

man.

^(I just vomited after writing that. I thought you should know. There's vomit all over my shoes.)
Felander
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jun 11 2006, 07:10 PM) *
It is, however, less easy than reading properly typed words. It's also no good if you have even the slightest hankering to do anything professionally - few institutions will employ someone who can't write using real words.

I counter the banishment of grammar Nazis with the total expurgation of the use of text-speak when a full sized keyboard and (practically) unlimited message space are available. Possibly the excessive nesting of quotes should go in too. tongue.gif

sad.gif

Aye, I suppose you're right. I guess it just annoys me when people go "OH NOES, TEH TEXT SPEAK!" It is easier to read properly typed words, though, aye.

People who describe things they do/say as 'random'. It just really annoys me.

F--- yes! So true it hurts!

omg that's so random.

lyke, for serious.

man.

^(I just vomited after writing that. I thought you should know. There's vomit all over my shoes.)

I doubt that is true, elphaba2.

hehehe, a rhyme. _
Star_of_Lei
I would put in pop music, hip hop, r n b and anything that I don't like

I would put in my future husband (RE class project, hitch me to the BIGGEST jerk in our year)

I would put in the rules that forbid me from kneeing said future husband in the ..... er yeah, you get the picture.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ May 9 2006, 09:45 PM) *
When people use 'of' instead of 'have'. (e.g. I would of done this had I not...)

Don't be silly. No-one who confuses "of" and "have" would have used "...had I not." tongue.gif

QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 8 2006, 08:54 PM) *
It's really not that hard to understand; I certainly find it more pallatable than relentlessly pointing out errors in grammar and spelling, tbh.

To be fair, I doubt the majority of us relentlessly do that. If it was upsetting someone, of course we'd stop. But it is important to make sure that the language isn't mutilated beyond all repair - especially because kids are starting to do things like try and take exams in text speak. The point of having a standardised language is so that everyone can understand each other - I know text speak is usually legible, but it's the first step on a slippery slope back to the Tower of Babel.
I_am_the_best
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jun 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ May 9 2006, 09:45 PM) *

When people use 'of' instead of 'have'. (e.g. I would of done this had I not...)

Don't be silly. No-one who confuses "of" and "have" would have used "...had I not." tongue.gif

You'd be surprised. I think it's because in speech, people say "would've" and so put 'of' in written work because they don't really stop to think of the meaning the words hold.

Also, thanks for making the 'w' a capital when quoting me - there is always so much pressure when talking about grammar not to slip up yourself! ph34r.gif
Felander
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jun 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *
To be fair, I doubt the majority of us relentlessly do that. If it was upsetting someone, of course we'd stop. But it is important to make sure that the language isn't mutilated beyond all repair - especially because kids are starting to do things like try and take exams in text speak. The point of having a standardised language is so that everyone can understand each other - I know text speak is usually legible, but it's the first step on a slippery slope back to the Tower of Babel.

Arf! What, like, perhaps 4 kids a year do that?

Language evolves and changes. I see text speak as just another evolution to be honest.

Ah well, different strokes for different folks.
Cookieflair
I would put in chavs!
Today i was walking into town to meet some friends and i was just minding my own business, listening to my i pod etc. This gang of chavs starts yelling abuse at me so i just keep on walking.
But THEN they started shouting stuffa bout my size (i am only about 150 cm!) WHICH REALLY HACKS ME OFF. So i yelled "<rhymes with duck> off and grow some pubes you little <rhymes with pits>!" (because their collective ages were about 4)
So they lobbed a water bomb at me. My makeup was smudged and i was without a mirror and my top was soaked (but it was really hot today so that didnt matter). I mean seriously wtf?!

And then later i saw them all again when i was woth my mates and they didnt say anything becayse my friends are big and scary and wear eyeliner haha.
{Gothic Angel}
Arf! What, like, perhaps 4 kids a year do that?

Increasing number of cases every time, supposedly. And I still stand by language being standardised for a reason, but yeah. Each to their own.

You'd be surprised. I think it's because in speech, people say "would've" and so put 'of' in written work because they don't really stop to think of the meaning the words hold.

I was kidding tongue.gif

Also, thanks for making the 'w' a capital when quoting me

No problem. I do that all the time dry.gif
Izzy
The Commercial channel! I mean, who watches it? Well, yeah, ok, some people watch it, but what are they gaining from it, unless they're actually buying something, and starting at $900 an item, I doubt they buy stuff a lot.
\m/ Entertainment TV all the way. \m/
That_Guy
Anime. Not only has it driven my pal bonkers (he thinks it's part of a scheme to control Western culture), every time I turn this crap on, I get confused as hell (Excuse the language, but "confused as heck" just doesn't sound right). Most of the plots and sub-plots revolve around something obscure, and the mood of the cartoon can swing between two types: too serious, or childish humor. Most cartoons consist of endless talking, explaining an even that often times is completely irrelevant to the plot, and hyperactive-paced scenses that include nothing but lots of random explosions and seemingly drug-induced light effects. Plus there's the "fanservice", where the lonely cartoonists create simulated hot women using the very thing that keeps these little perverts from "getting some" in the first place. And, speaking of patterns, there's no originality. Three general patterns for anime shows: Futuristic / robots, feudal era, "powers"/ magic. Combinging two, or even all three, gets kudos.

I mean, sure, there's always exceptions, but for me, the bad seems to outweigh the good.
Libitha
I would put in the adverts between programs. I dont mind them at the end or beginning of the programs just during them is really annoying. mad.gif
That_Guy
I don't know about the UK, but here in America, the length of the commercials for The Simpsons is usually as long as the show itself. Meaning 15 minutes of Simpsons, with 15 minutes of commercials chopping it all up. Blech.
elphaba2
Children. Every last sticky-fingered, play-doh-smelling, paste-eating one of them. No exceptions.
That_Guy
Define "children."
hyperlittlefaleria
uhh...
-the jerks at school...
-mosquitos!!!
-ladybugs. well not ladybugs, cause then what could i squish after ripping thier wings and legs off!
-pretty girls that are stupid, or pretend to be (aka my two cousins)
umm.. that's all i can think of rite now laugh.gif but that's only cause im in a good mood cool.gif
-VAL

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jul 13 2006, 12:50 PM) *
Children. Every last sticky-fingered, play-doh-smelling, paste-eating one of them. No exceptions.

oh yeah. and weren't you a child once in your life? cause last time i checked, babies are children before they become non-"sticky fingered", non "play doh smelling", non "paste eating" adults.
elphaba2
QUOTE (That_Guy @ Jul 13 2006, 09:55 PM) *
Define "children."

No.
QUOTE (hyperlittlefaleria @ Jul 14 2006, 03:06 AM) *
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jul 13 2006, 12:50 PM) *

oh yeah. and weren't you a child once in your life? cause last time i checked, babies are children before they become non-"sticky fingered", non "play doh smelling", non "paste eating" adults.

No. A la Miss Trunchbull, I was born grown.

/hates her $5 hr nanny gig
That_Guy
Well, I've had my fair share of snot-nosed, sniveling, gimme-gimme-i-want-now brats.

But, I'll have you know that I am sixteen (16) years of age, and I neither eat paste nor smell play-doh. I also hate having sticky fingers. It just bugs me.

Not to say that there aren't people my age who still act like morons.
Astarael
I'd put in pushy people who try to take over a group project because they think they can do everything better and faster, particularly when they're rude and condescending about it. Whether or not they actually could do it faster isn't the point- they've agreed to a group project and then want to yank all the fun out of it by harassing everyone and snatching things away before people can finish themselves.
El Nino
I try not to judge the customers that come into the shop, where I work. But it can be very dificult not to sometimes, so I'd like to put all the jerks that I've met in there as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.